Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lease Buyout Beware!

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2015 in General
imageLease Buyout Beware!

Lease Buyout Beware! article on Edmunds.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• brunelljbrunellj Member Posts: 5
    Very informative. Thanks for the information. In the end, were you able to recoup your tax payment and avoid double taxes?
  • bpc1bpc1 Member Posts: 1
    This was a helpful article but I wish Mr. Reed included more specifics. I hate to do my own digging ;)

To wit: California State Board of Equalization Sales and Use Taxes: Exemptions and Exclusions.
    California Revenue and Taxation Code Part 1, Division 2. Publication No. 61 . LDA, Page 15:

"VEHICLES SOLD TO LESSEE - Normally the sale of a vehicle by a lessor to a lessee is subject to tax. However, it is rebuttably presumed that if the lessee transfers the vehicle to a third party within ten days from the date the lessee acquired title from the leasor at the lease termination, the sale by the lessor is a nontaxable sale for resale, and no tax would be due for the interim ten day period."

http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub61.pdf

Also, I'd be interested to find out if Mr. Reed was able to recoup monies from the CA Board of Equalization?

Thanks!
  • hudsonguyhudsonguy Member Posts: 2
    I am facing a similar situation, I have a leased VW Jetta that I want to get rid off.I live in New York state.....can anybody send some comments on How to go about????...Thanks
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    You are responsible for the remaining lease payments. t's as simple as that. Make those payments and you can walk away.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042
    hudsonguy said:

I am facing a similar situation, I have a leased VW Jetta that I want to get rid off.I live in New York state.....can anybody send some comments on How to go about????...Thanks

Is this a TDI?

I agree with isell ... you are obligated to make the payments. You can sell the car to a CarMax, but you may not get enough to cover the payoff amount (residual + sum of remaining payments, generally).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• ChrisSChrisS Member Posts: 1
    Moral of the story is to just avoid Nissan! I'm in the middle of trying to buyout my own lease (and pay my own sales tax) but the stealerships in southern California all charge hundreds of dollars (Temecula Nissan charges $1k) to just buy out the lease. I'm about 2k miles under on the lease and the return inspection has already been completed and come back satisfactorily.

Nissan has no oversight of their dealerships but force the transaction to be done there. Even buying it through a bank still requires you to visit a local dealer.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I don't understand? Just send Nissan a check for the buyout! If you are FINANCING the buyout, the dealer shouldn't need to be involved! It's a bit of a hassel but you can do this yourself!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830

I don't understand? Just send Nissan a check for the buyout! If you are FINANCING the buyout, the dealer shouldn't need to be involved! It's a bit of a hassel but you can do this yourself!

Some captive banks won't do that. VW and Nissan are two that require you to go through the dealer.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• PurushPurush Member Posts: 1
    Thank you so much for this informative and life experience. The Rules and conditions are so complicated, nothing favors to the customer.
    I appreciate people like you capturing and sharing the experiences like this. Thank you once again