Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    On the CarPlay receiver - if you can get a 3.5mm aux input, I did fine with that plus a Bluetooth play/pause/RW/FF remote in the Tahoe. Might be less of an investment.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    the old one pretty much was. The new one is more like a Jetta lifted wagon IMO. But, they are all on the same modular platform (one version or another).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    edited October 2020
    Michaell said:

I know I've mentioned my mom's car on this thread before - 2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6, with only 40K on it.

My sister has taken possession of it and has had her local mechanic look things over. He proclaimed it was in pretty good condition.

There were, however, a few issues that we felt was best handled by the dealer - the cruise control wasn't working, and there was a problem with the fuel filler neck that prevented gas from the nozzle to flow at a regular rate. The car is at the dealer now, and they are claiming that the timing belt needs to be replaced on top of the work we've already authorized.

Dealer says it should be changed every 5 years or 60,000 miles, so technically, it should have been changed 3 times by now. They want to charge $795 for the work - but, this does not include replacing the water pump.

My sister called her independent guy today, and he says that we he looked over the car a couple months back, he didn't see anything wrong with the belt that would require it to be replaced. When asked, he quoted $1000 for both the timing belt and water pump replacement.

So, do we:
    1. Do nothing
    2. Replace the belt only
    3. Replace the belt and water pump

At some point in the near future, I'm going to collect the car and bring it back to Colorado, and I'm leaning to either (1) or (3), but wanted to ping the expertise here at CCBA for your opinions. No comments along the lines of why we're investing so much into a car that's worth so little - that ship has sailed, and we're OK with spending the money to keep it running.

Thanks!

No question in my mind it needs to be done. Personally, I'd be afraid to drive it with rubber that old being the only thing keeping the valves from meeting violently with the pistons.

And, yes, as others said, it is better to do it all at once since labor costs way more than the parts. $800-$1200 seems to be the going rate for most t-belt jobs. IMHO, it would be a good time for you to learn how to do it yourself. :)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

service advisor called today. Apparently the van will be there for quite some time. Because it is a $4k job, FCA is sending an inspector. That will take a day or two, and then the inspector's report and decision is another 4-5 days. Lovely.

I celebrated the news by taking the Pac out for a ... spirited ... drive to the pharmacy. It definitely has decent power, has more gears, is quite a bit lighter than our van, and has a lower center of gravity, so it can translate it into forward momentum more effectively. That's about it for positives.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    qbrozen said:

Michaell said:

I know I've mentioned my mom's car on this thread before - 2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6, with only 40K on it.

My sister has taken possession of it and has had her local mechanic look things over. He proclaimed it was in pretty good condition.

There were, however, a few issues that we felt was best handled by the dealer - the cruise control wasn't working, and there was a problem with the fuel filler neck that prevented gas from the nozzle to flow at a regular rate. The car is at the dealer now, and they are claiming that the timing belt needs to be replaced on top of the work we've already authorized.

Dealer says it should be changed every 5 years or 60,000 miles, so technically, it should have been changed 3 times by now. They want to charge $795 for the work - but, this does not include replacing the water pump.

My sister called her independent guy today, and he says that we he looked over the car a couple months back, he didn't see anything wrong with the belt that would require it to be replaced. When asked, he quoted $1000 for both the timing belt and water pump replacement.

So, do we:
    1. Do nothing
    2. Replace the belt only
    3. Replace the belt and water pump

At some point in the near future, I'm going to collect the car and bring it back to Colorado, and I'm leaning to either (1) or (3), but wanted to ping the expertise here at CCBA for your opinions. No comments along the lines of why we're investing so much into a car that's worth so little - that ship has sailed, and we're OK with spending the money to keep it running.

Thanks!

No question in my mind it needs to be done. Personally, I'd be afraid to drive it with rubber that old being the only thing keeping the valves from meeting violently with the pistons.

And, yes, as others said, it is better to do it all at once since labor costs way more than the parts. $800-$1200 seems to be the going rate for most t-belt jobs. IMHO, it would be a good time for you to learn how to do it yourself. :)
    +1 - Do the belt & everything else “in there” before you take the 1,100 mile trip back to CO.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,380
    qbrozen said:

service advisor called today. Apparently the van will be there for quite some time. Because it is a $4k job, FCA is sending an inspector. That will take a day or two, and then the inspector's report and decision is another 4-5 days. Lovely.

I celebrated the news by taking the Pac out for a ... spirited ... drive to the pharmacy. It definitely has decent power, has more gears, is quite a bit lighter than our van, and has a lower center of gravity, so it can translate it into forward momentum more effectively. That's about it for positives.

Goodness, Could this be the beginning of the end?

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

stickguy said:

the old one pretty much was. The new one is more like a Jetta lifted wagon IMO. But, they are all on the same modular platform (one version or another).

What became of the Jetta service bill?

au1994 said:

qbrozen said:

Goodness, Could this be the beginning of the end?
    Heck, if anything, it is a signal to me to keep it because a new one without the warranty won’t last very long!

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271
    edited October 2020
    I got the lifetime warranty on my wrangler JL for the same reason. I bought the warranty cheap from a dealership known to sell them cheap. I suspect that it will be worthwhile
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    qbrozen said:

Let me understand this, you have a lifetime warranty (through FCA I assume) and they are dragging their heels on paying for covered services?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I suspect that there vehicle service contract has a separate division and has separate accounting. I’m sure that is why they send an inspector
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

qbrozen said:

Let me understand this, you have a lifetime warranty (through FCA I assume) and they are dragging their heels on paying for covered services?
    Why does this surprise you? B)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

mjfloyd1 said:

I suspect that there vehicle service contract has a separate division and has separate accounting. I’m sure that is why they send an inspector

A combo of wanting to make sure stuff is actually needed (not trusting dealer) and likely looking for excuses to deny some of it anyway.

Or they just have a rule that any job over $X.XX needs higher level approval.

au1994 said:

stickguy said:

Oh yeah, forgot that update. Went back at lunch, found the guy and I pointed out hey goofed (politely, as promised to the princess.). I always start out sweet! He just said Oh, clicked a bit, took the charge off, and brought over new paperwork. I looked at it, wondered why price was still higher than normal, and figured out he never applied her coupon. So cashier goes back to his desk, the futz with it a bit, and she comes back with a final $ amount as expected. So kid pays, we leave.

But proving I never learn my lesson, I didn’t read through the full work order until we got home. And discovered a technician note that they did not rotate the tires (something with wear on the rears) even though it was on the bill. So had to call the SA up and question that. Supposedly he is having a credit but through today, but based on how clueless he has been so far, I don’t expect to get it without more calls.

I am more ticked off that even though she paid too dollar for dealer experts, the SA did not even point out they found an issue that might need attention. I doubt more than 5% of the customers would ever have read the work order like I did, and picked out the issue (it was buried in the rambling notes).

stickguy said:

au1994 said:

stickguy said:

Oh yeah, forgot that update. Went back at lunch, found the guy and I pointed out hey goofed (politely, as promised to the princess.). I always start out sweet! He just said Oh, clicked a bit, took the charge off, and brought over new paperwork. I looked at it, wondered why price was still higher than normal, and figured out he never applied her coupon. So cashier goes back to his desk, the futz with it a bit, and she comes back with a final $ amount as expected. So kid pays, we leave.

But proving I never learn my lesson, I didn’t read through the full work order until we got home. And discovered a technician note that they did not rotate the tires (something with wear on the rears) even though it was on the bill. So had to call the SA up and question that. Supposedly he is having a credit but through today, but based on how clueless he has been so far, I don’t expect to get it without more calls.

I am more ticked off that even though she paid too dollar for dealer experts, the SA did not even point out they found an issue that might need attention. I doubt more than 5% of the customers would ever have read the work order like I did, and picked out the issue (it was buried in the rambling notes).
    Sigh...It’s just never easy with car dealers sometimes. It’s one of the reasons I was always such a fan of leasing. Outside of the obvious getting to scratch the itch every 2-3 years, usually the only time I set foot in the dealer was a simple (free) oil change or once in a blue moon, warranty work.

Made me appreciate the 2015 Jetta. That was a lease, and they included 3 years maintenance so I never realized how expensive VW dealer service was.

stickguy said:

Made me appreciate the 2015 Jetta. That was a lease, and they included 3 years maintenance so I never realized how expensive VW dealer service was.

Part of the reason I leased a 2011 BMW 328xi back in 2012. Leased for 30 months/20K per year (50K total). BMWs included scheduled maintenance back then. In 2 1/2 years, I got oil changes, inspection services, brake pads & rotors changed all on BMW's dime.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    Another strategy is to eliminate most of the maintenance altogether.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    https://www.hendrickvwofconcord.com/used/Honda/2013-Honda-Accord-concord-nc-1a403adc0a0e0a6b1475e26229850bd4.htm

Here is a link to the listing of my Accord. It served me well. I owned it for 7 years and 1 month, a record for me!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Nice car. Interior pics look really good especially for that many years with light "ivory" interior. It will go quickly I think. Saw this line below: "$699.00 Dealer Administrative Charge is not included in advertised price." That's like a 5% used car tax. :disappointed:
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    edited October 2020
    tifighter said:

Another strategy is to eliminate most of the maintenance altogether.

I had the same deal @nyccarguy describes on my ‘11 328 and I think my ‘13 as well.

I wonder what % of lessee’s do absolutely no maintenance whatsoever, free or not?

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    omarman said:

Nice car. Interior pics look really good especially for that many years with light "ivory" interior. It will go quickly I think. Saw this line below: "$699.00 Dealer Administrative Charge is not included in advertised price." That's like a 5% used car tax. :disappointed:

Admin Fees are typical of most local dealers. They seem to range from $599-899, absurd. Car Max is even charging one though I think it is around $399, but their cars are always priced high.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

stickguy said:

I can see why you might be a VW fan. Very robust cars apparently.

https://youtu.be/KjB7ukt9HA8

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

sda said:

https://www.hendrickvwofconcord.com/used/Honda/2013-Honda-Accord-concord-nc-1a403adc0a0e0a6b1475e26229850bd4.htm

Here is a link to the listing of my Accord. It served me well. I owned it for 7 years and 1 month, a record for me!

Over $13k for a 100,000 mile car. I guess they do hold their value. That’s why I’ll probably never own a Honda, can’t afford them new, don’t want to pay the premium used. I’ll just keep trying to get 300k miles out if my domestic hoopties.

sda said:

omarman said:

Admin Fees are typical of most local dealers. They seem to range from $599-899, absurd. Car Max is even charging one though I think it is around $399, but their cars are always priced high.
    In NY it’s limited to $75. That’s why you don’t see lower advertised prices in the ads. I was all set to go shopping in CT based on ads until I found out they had something like $500 doc fees which negated the lower advertised prices.

sda said:

omarman said:

In NY it’s limited to $75. That’s why you don’t see lower advertised prices in the ads. I was all set to go shopping in CT based on ads until I found out they had something like $500 doc fees which negated the lower advertised prices.
    CT & NJ both have high "doc fees." In CT we are fancy and call them "conveyance fees."

One of the Porsche dealers here touts the deals on their ‘previously enjoyed’ inventory. I haven’t checked but they probably have large ‘conveyance fees’ on those.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    stickguy said:

mjfloyd1 said:

A combo of wanting to make sure stuff is actually needed (not trusting dealer) and likely looking for excuses to deny some of it anyway.

Or they just have a rule that any job over $X.XX needs higher level approval.
    I'd say it's more "manufacture an excuse" than lack of trusting the dealership. It also delays the repairs and payments quite nicely.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    qbrozen said:

They gave you a free loaner???
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Apparently Arizona allows up to $500 "documents" fees. And here I thought $80 was a ripoff in California.

I think a law should be passed that only the government gets to charge fees and taxes, and that businesses be forced to include all of their fees in the asking price.
    I've said before, as long as the bottom line is cheaper, I don't care what the doc fee is. I can't stand when a dealer makes it sound like they are charging it as a right of passage. "We have to charge it, it is pre printed on the bill of sale" I always politely say no, you don't HAVE to charge it, but if you choose to charge a doc fee, then you MUST charge it to everyone.

When I bought my Legacy, the dealer closer to my house in CT (which is a different distributor, Subaru of New England) had a $299 or $399 Conveyance Fee. The dealer 15 minutes down I-95 (in New York) only charged a $75 doc fee. The CT dealer had a lower selling price, but after I netted out everything the NY dealer came out to $100 cheaper (on the nose). I went back to the CT dealer and asked him to lower his selling price by $100. He asked why. I explained. His answer was: "Well I don't see the problem. We ARE selling you the car cheaper than the other dealer, but we HAVE to charge the Conveyance Fee." I thanked him for his time and went to NY to buy the car.

andres3 said:

qbrozen said:

They gave you a free loaner???
    It is actually a rental! They are paying for it. They have a deal with the local Enterprise. And my lifetime warranty includes a loaner, sooo...

I do have to pay $5/day, though, for taxes or some such fee.

mjfloyd1 said:

I got the lifetime warranty on my wrangler JL for the same reason. I bought the warranty cheap from a dealership known to sell them cheap. I suspect that it will be worthwhile

Is yours the Maximum Care? When did you get it? I thought I read they stopped offering lifetime. What did it run you?

I did find it cheaper from an online dealer, so I got our dealer to drop the price. I think he was $3k-$3200, IIRC. Online was like $2199. Said he couldn’t go that low BUT getting it with him allowed rolling into the 1.9% financing.

edited October 2020
    https://carsandbids.com/auctions/304gVEYg/2012-volvo-s60-t6-awd-r-design

I like the color, and it's not far from me, but is it fast? Will it fall apart and need monthly care?

What about this as my FIRST BMW in life? https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9nqWpb8B/2000-bmw-m5

Any pitfalls? What should it sell at?
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    So, I couldn't help myself....

I get a text from the dealer I bought the Enclave from. Typical type of solicitation. I'm eligible for pull ahead, incredible October incentives, etc, etc

So I said sure... quote me on a fully loaded Enclave @ 36/10. They only have four in stock, so I can only imagine how bad this quote will be.

No intention of buying until after we close on the house, but with everything going on I can use some entertainment right now.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    nyccarguy said:

I've said before, as long as the bottom line is cheaper, I don't care what the doc fee is. I can't stand when a dealer makes it sound like they are charging it as a right of passage. "We have to charge it, it is pre printed on the bill of sale" I always politely say no, you don't HAVE to charge it, but if you choose to charge a doc fee, then you MUST charge it to everyone.

I'm not sure that is true. At least in Pennsylvania.

I looked up the law on doc fees one time and it is a negotiable fee and it is not allowed to be pre-printed on the form.

I know the upper limit has changed since then, but I doubt the rest has changed.

Oh yeah. I always ask how much the doc fee is when I'm in F&I just to poke them a little. They always say it's the law that they must charge the upper limit. The sad part is, most of them probably think that's true.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

edited October 2020
    qbrozen said:

mjfloyd1 said:

Is yours the Maximum Care? When did you get it? I thought I read they stopped offering lifetime. What did it run you?

I did find it cheaper from an online dealer, so I got our dealer to drop the price. I think he was $3k-$3200, IIRC. Online was like $2199. Said he couldn’t go that low BUT getting it with him allowed rolling into the 1.9% financing.
    bought 8/2018 -Hayes in Kalamazoo MI. I think they stopped offering it shortly after I bought it. . Lifetime maximum care with $100 deductible was $2745. Jeep dealership where I bought Wrangler said that was dealer cost
    tjc78 said:

I get a text from the dealer I bought the Enclave from. Typical type of solicitation. I'm eligible for pull ahead, incredible October incentives, etc, etc

So I said sure... quote me on a fully loaded Enclave @ 36/10. They only have four in stock, so I can only imagine how bad this quote will be.

No intention of buying until after we close on the house, but with everything going on I can use some entertainment right now.

When do you close? You’ve obviously got the upper hand in negotiation since you don’t have to do anything right now. Counter with something ridiculously low. It’s 2020, you never know what may be accepted.

andres3 said:

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/304gVEYg/2012-volvo-s60-t6-awd-r-design

I like the color, and it's not far from me, but is it fast? Will it fall apart and need monthly care?

What about this as my FIRST BMW in life? https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9nqWpb8B/2000-bmw-m5

Any pitfalls? What should it sell at?

Volvo is nice. I like that. But, 8 YO, complicated, highish miles. It will not be cheap to keep. Fast? Yes, unless your bar is ZL1 being acceptable, anything else too slow.

That M5, would not recommend as your first BMW. Or at all, unless you had a full workshop and training as a BMW tech, all their tools, and plenty of money for parts. Personally, I would not touch any BMW V8. Though they are better than the V10!

I guess it's a moot point since they no longer offer the lifetime warranty as an option, but I wonder what they did if someone bought a car and the lifetime warranty and discovered they hated it a couple of months later--does the warranty and the money paid for it just vanish into thin air since it's not transferable?
    au1994 said:

tjc78 said:

When do you close? You’ve obviously got the upper hand in negotiation since you don’t have to do anything right now. Counter with something ridiculously low. It’s 2020, you never know what may be accepted.
    So they quoted a 60K Enclave Avenir at $847 a month with zero DAS.

That’s seriously funny stuff right there. That must include a free Encore lease as well.

corvette said:

I guess it's a moot point since they no longer offer the lifetime warranty as an option, but I wonder what they did if someone bought a car and the lifetime warranty and discovered they hated it a couple of months later--does the warranty and the money paid for it just vanish into thin air since it's not transferable?

No. It was refundable to a point.

Mine says one time transferable for $50
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    tjc78 said:

au1994 said:

tjc78 said:

So they quoted a 60K Enclave Avenir at $847 a month with zero DAS.

That’s seriously funny stuff right there. That must include a free Encore lease as well.
    36/12 numbers are .00007 and 53%, which means the adjusted cap is right around $62,100.

Not much of a discount from MSRP, me thinks; or, there is a big discount, but they've marked up the MF to compensate.

Either way, a hard pass.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited October 2020
    Pretty sure those lease numbers are worse than a Tahoe or Yukon. That was the dilemma when I leased the Tundra--either I could have leased a new Tahoe, *or* a new Tundra plus two Tacomas for the same vig.
    the weird dynamics of monthly payment is what I love about leasing. The thrill of finding out what nice cars can be had for less money than boring ones!

I’ll hit them up tomorrow for details just to see what they did.

MF must be marked up big time as they show discounts and rebates.

tjc78 said:

I’ll hit them up tomorrow for details just to see what they did.

MF must be marked up big time as they show discounts and rebates.

53% isn’t a bad residual for a GM car. Who in their right mind would pay $850 a month for that car?

just had to post this for Michael.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK49fizlT4U