Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    We just switched our auto/homeowners and it dropped to about half of what it was with a little higher auto liability coverage.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    Next generation doesn't seem to look much different;

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

It would be nice if they would clean it up a bit and make it smoother...like an Audi:

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    take off the boy racer bric a brak, and it would not look bad at all!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

We just switched our auto/homeowners and it dropped to about half of what it was with a little higher auto liability coverage.

I just switched a year ago. Will shop it all again next fall when the homeowners policy comes due in September. With one car, our car insurance is only about $650/year with Allstate, so hard for it to go down too much!

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    driver100 said:

Oh, I remember that car. That's not a good disguise at all. Here it is unmasked.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    abacomike said:

dad23 said:

Happy Birthday @abacomike 🍰

I have not seen any posts on this thread from you before - thanks for the birthday wishes, "dad23".

Why not tell us all something about yourself, where you live, what you do/did for a living, kids, grandkids, etc. :)
    Sorry for the delayed response, we were up in the mountains for a few days as the kids are on fall break. I’ve been around a while, mainly on other threads, can’t remember how I happened upon this one. I’m in Colorado, somewhere between @Michaell and @breld ;) I work in IT for a healthcare company, have three sons, no grandkids yet, no rush. We’re all car nuts, except my better half, spend lots of time looking around, dreaming about packing the garage, too many cars, not enough funds! One thing of note, we’ve been spending the past few months at my folk’s house, helping my dad fix up a 66 Mustang. Something I always complained about as a kid, now wish I had appreciated more back then as I see my dad interact with my boys...
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    driver100 said:

The new duct tape look is pretty cool. :D

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    stickguy said:

take off the boy racer bric a brak, and it would not look bad at all!

I agree. Make the “wing” optional, smooth out some of the edges, and it would look a whole lot better.

Not sure if I would want it to look like an Audi, but a tuck and trim here and there would be very helpful.

Then again, I’m not the target market for this car (although it would be something I’d be willing to buy, maybe).
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    A few updates...scroll over if you don’t like my whine.

Transport business....really staring to accelerate....to the point where I would need help. My “back up” guy doesn’t want to work the hours it would take, especially with me out of commission for a while. So, it’s looking like the short lived little business I was building to have something to do during retirement is going to disappear....especially in light of my current situation.

Current situation....went for the 10 day follow up to my detached retinal surgery. Well...none of it is good news. It appears the retina is detaching again. Surgeon was hopeful initially. But, I now have to go back for another surgery tomorrow, this time putting oil behind the retina to hold in place (sturdier than the gas they injected before). Oil has to be removed at some point (few-6 months). So, that’s yet another eye surgery. That’ll be 7 surgeries, all on the same eye. 50-50 I get sight back. I’m almost OK with no sight in that eye if the surgeries will cease.

So, when/if recover starts, I’ll check in. I know you guys are all wishing for the best, so no need to tell me. It’s a given. Thank you in advance.

2020 started badly and has become progressively worse. I for one am ready for a new start and put all of this behind us.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    2020 really has been one of the worst years in history. And still almost 1/4 to go.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543

Transport business....really staring to accelerate....to the point where I would need help. My “back up” guy doesn’t want to work the hours it would take, especially with me out of commission for a while. So, it’s looking like the short lived little business I was building to have something to do during retirement is going to disappear....especially in light of my current situation.

Current situation....went for the 10 day follow up to my detached retinal surgery. Well...none of it is good news. It appears the retina is detaching again. Surgeon was hopeful initially. But, I now have to go back for another surgery tomorrow, this time putting oil behind the retina to hold in place (sturdier than the gas they injected before). Oil has to be removed at some point (few-6 months). So, that’s yet another eye surgery. That’ll be 7 surgeries, all on the same eye. 50-50 I get sight back. I’m almost OK with no sight in that eye if the surgeries will cease.

So, when/if recover starts, I’ll check in. I know you guys are all wishing for the best, so no need to tell me. It’s a given. Thank you in advance.

2020 started badly and has become progressively worse. I for one am ready for a new start and put all of this behind us.

Hold on there, you can’t tell us what to do. If we want to wish you good luck you’ll have to accept it and like it. :@

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504

A few updates. . . . I for one am ready for a new start and put all of this behind us.

So sorry to hear this. Wishing you better luck going forward.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    @graphicguy

Best of the luck with the next surgery and fingers crossed the surgeon can make it so you can see out of that eye once again.

I can't imagine going through this.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

jmonroe1 said:

Hold on there, you can’t tell us what to do. If we want to wish you good luck you’ll have to accept it and like it. :@

jmonroe
    +1, I feel your pain GG......maintain your positive outlook though, you are a survivor and will get thru this.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    Hang in there @graphicguy
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    edited October 2020
    What is the trick to updating the signature page? This is what is reflected when I go to my profile. I have logged out and signed back in.

Vehicle(s) I currently own (optional) 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 2018 VW Passat SE Technology, 2006 Acura TL Posts 3,520

I forgot it is a two step process, with category settings in the left margin.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

edited October 2020
    click the cog wheel (account settings) up by your name (next to the star). Then "edit profile" and "signature settings". That should get you to your signature line.

I think you changed the blurb that tells about yourself and what you currently own.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

So sorry to hear this, GG. Eyesight (good eyesight) is one of the most essential senses in our bodies. I will be praying that future surgeries are successful and that your eyesight is 20/20 when this all ends. Good Luck!!

2021 Genesis G90

dad23 said:

abacomike said:

dad23 said:

Happy Birthday @abacomike 🍰

I have not seen any posts on this thread from you before - thanks for the birthday wishes, "dad23".

Why not tell us all something about yourself, where you live, what you do/did for a living, kids, grandkids, etc. :)
    Sorry for the delayed response, we were up in the mountains for a few days as the kids are on fall break. I’ve been around a while, mainly on other threads, can’t remember how I happened upon this one. I’m in Colorado, somewhere between @Michaell and @breld ;) I work in IT for a healthcare company, have three sons, no grandkids yet, no rush. We’re all car nuts, except my better half, spend lots of time looking around, dreaming about packing the garage, too many cars, not enough funds! One thing of note, we’ve been spending the past few months at my folk’s house, helping my dad fix up a 66 Mustang. Something I always complained about as a kid, now wish I had appreciated more back then as I see my dad interact with my boys...
    From what you describe above, you'll fit in here like a glove fits perfectly over a hand! We're all car nuts as I am sure you are aware of now. Drove through Colorado back in 1998 on my way from Los Angeles to the Wilkes Barre area of Pennsylvania. I was super impressed with the mountains and that long tunnel above Denver. Beautiful State.

2021 Genesis G90

Well, I just started two new insurance policies that together saved me about $800 annually on Auto and Condo. Auto is underwritten by Allstate and Condo is underwritten by Castle Key Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of Allstate. I went ahead and cancelled the Condo policy effective today because I received a binder from the Agent. I cancelled the Auto policy with Geico effective 10/22/20 which is when the new policy takes effect.

Hopefully I made the right decisions regarding my insurance coverages - only time will tell.

2021 Genesis G90

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    stickguy said:

I just switched a year ago. Will shop it all again next fall when the homeowners policy comes due in September. With one car, our car insurance is only about $650/year with Allstate, so hard for it to go down too much!
    We changed ours last year from State Farm to AAA. Car insurance fell by half! And it decreased again this year. Unfortunately AAA can’t insure our condo, so that remains with State Farm. Weird because they insure other units in our complex, but their policies changed in 2018 as our complex is now considered a fire risk (it backs onto a wetlands, go figure).
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

Makes you wonder if oil is sturdier than gas, who made the decision to use gas in the first place? Did they even mention the option prior to selecting it for you? Somehow I think $$ had something to do with your health insurance/doctor's decision.

I seriously question the medical/dental field now, as I already had my "complications" with my dentist probably needlessly recommending a quick fix crown which spiraled into a later root canal and then another temp crown and then finally a permanent crown #2. All in a year. Went 40 years with the original tooth and probably 20 with the filling with no issues...... 40:1 right now.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    Sitting in the BMW dealership right now getting some stuff done on the car (mainly the oil change). Its hard to think that its been a little over a year since we got the car.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

edited October 2020
    Seems like you got the BMW only 12 months ago :)
    (Actually, it doesn't seem like 1 year ago......time flies, when you get new toys)

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348

If I told my wife how to turn off the valves and bleed the hoses after using the washing machine because of what would happen if the hose ruptures she would tell me to get better hoses for the washing machine.

At leat you don't need to call a guy to

I hope things get better.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited October 2020
    Sorry to hear, @graphicguy. When I had my detachment, I was also offered the Scleral Buckling Procedure - although it has a high success rate, it risks chance of double vision.

Hoping for great results for you !

Don’t let this get you down. If you feel yourself slipping into depression seek out someone who you can vent with. I’m sure we’ll all be willing to listen if you feel the need but also consider professional help.

What you’re going through is sort of a grieving process. You’ve suffered a loss of a few significant things in your life and it can take it’s toll. Hope you feel better eventually.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543

Sitting in the BMW dealership right now getting some stuff done on the car (mainly the oil change). Its hard to think that its been a little over a year since we got the car.

If you made your payments on time, you wouldn’t be thinking like that. Better hope it doesn’t get repoed while it’s on the rack. :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

If I told my wife how to turn off the valves and bleed the hoses after using the washing machine because of what would happen if the hose ruptures she would tell me to get better hoses for the washing machine.

Interesting typo considering the topic.

You mean like "Call the Guy" to type your posts?

driver100 said:

Nope, the topic is water hoses and a leat is an English term for a canal that brings water to a mill.

driver100 said:

Nope, the topic is water hoses and a leat is an English term for a canal that brings water to a mill.
    Well, I learned a new word today.....now how am I going to use that word in a conversation that will impress everyone today?

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Well, I learned a new word today.....now how am I going to use that word in a conversation that will impress everyone today?
    You need to watch more episodes of Escape to the Country. They used that term recently.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913

Bummer. Sorry to hear such bad news on your detached retina. On the other hand every disappointment is a blessing, so put your faith in this surgeon and God will guide his hands through a successful outcome this time. Don't know if it's too late but perhaps you should consider a consultation with Massachusetts Eye and Ear Hospital in Boston, which has been recognized as the no. 1 hospital in New England for ophthalmology and no. 4 nationwide.

Meanwhile, after a sleepless night in the lavatory, I'm in the final stages of my prep for my colonoscopy this afternoon. Prayers.
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Good luck to you both. Wow. At 61 now all this talk about health issues have been an eye opening gut check for me.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    If anyone remembers we sold our home and are in the final processes of all the paperwork.

I think where we left off I was arguing with the township about all the concrete they wanted replaced. Well, we didn't quite win the entire argument but did have them accept that our driveway apron is fine and a few other things that shaved the cost significantly.

The buyer's home inspection really yielded nothing that needed attention. It was all very small items that were not of any safety concern. We decided to leave the washer/dryer (both sets) for them to offset. The new home has brand new units so we were going to sell them anyway.

The new house has been a disaster. It was new construction in a fairly small development. There were no comps and caused us serious appraisal issues. We ended up switching lenders in order to get a more favorable appraisal and it yielded the same result.

The owners had to get out, so we were able to compromise them taking a loss and us shifting a good portion of our down payment to pay them directly. They ended up losing over 12K from their new construction price from two years ago. Lots of negotiating and stress to iron all this out. Only downside is our PMI is a bit high but we saved $27,500 from the original price so it certainly offsets.

Needless to say we have been on edge because losing the home would be one thing, but we would have had no place to live! Wife and I both agreed we weren't doing anything to jeopardize the sale of our current home.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    @tjc78 Wow!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    tjc78 said:

If anyone remembers we sold our home and are in the final processes of all the paperwork.

I think where we left off I was arguing with the township about all the concrete they wanted replaced. Well, we didn't quite win the entire argument but did have them accept that our driveway apron is fine and a few other things that shaved the cost significantly.

The buyer's home inspection really yielded nothing that needed attention. It was all very small items that were not of any safety concern. We decided to leave the washer/dryer (both sets) for them to offset. The new home has brand new units so we were going to sell them anyway.

The new house has been a disaster. It was new construction in a fairly small development. There were no comps and caused us serious appraisal issues. We ended up switching lenders in order to get a more favorable appraisal and it yielded the same result.

The owners had to get out, so we were able to compromise them taking a loss and us shifting a good portion of our down payment to pay them directly. They ended up losing over 12K from their new construction price from two years ago. Lots of negotiating and stress to iron all this out. Only downside is our PMI is a bit high but we saved $27,500 from the original price so it certainly offsets.

Needless to say we have been on edge because losing the home would be one thing, but we would have had no place to live! Wife and I both agreed we weren't doing anything to jeopardize the sale of our current home.

PMI - MONEY THAT COMES OUT OF YOUR POCKET AND GOES TO LITERALLY NOTHING

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    nyccarguy said:

tjc78 said:

You missed the part where they dropped the price by $27,500, and he made part of the payment direct to the seller. $27,500 will pay for a lot of PMI. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    kyfdx said:

nyccarguy said:

tjc78 said:

You missed the part where they dropped the price by $27,500, and he made part of the payment direct to the seller. $27,500 will pay for a lot of PMI. ;)
    I saw that. I'm just making a general point about PMI

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Isn't PMI paid when you don't have 20% or so equity?
    Yes, the reduction in sales price really offset that. In addition although we technically put less down on the mortgage we are still financing less saving thousands in interest.

I'm hoping that in a year or two I can have the home re-appraised to cut down on the PMI.

Makes my continued dragging on of a simple refi seem good. Your situation is always an issue in a hot market. Comps always lag current trends. It did on our refi appraisal, but it made no difference. It’s much easier on a sale when the buyer has a really large down payment. Or cash buyer!

stickguy said:

Makes my continued dragging on of a simple refi seem good. Your situation is always an issue in a hot market. Comps always lag current trends. It did on our refi appraisal, but it made no difference. It’s much easier on a sale when the buyer has a really large down payment. Or cash buyer!

Comps didn't lag the trends in 2004-2007. That was the problem. The appraisers were simply rubber-stamping whatever someone was willing to pay without looking at realistic values. Then, they were slower to come down than the speed at which they went up. I'd say there is more lag on the down side than the upside; simply because, well, human greed.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

Isn't PMI paid when you don't have 20% or so equity?

Yes, that is the spec.

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    We would have had PMI on our first house but our lender suggested we take out a small 2nd that covered the difference which we paid off pretty aggressively. I would have never thought about that option. Thankfully, we never had to worry about PMI with our last two houses.
    nyccarguy said:

tjc78 said:

I’m so happy that I never had a mortgage on my house. So many entities trying to carve a piece out of you.

edited October 2020
    Got some paperwork in the mail today regarding a Class Action Settlement for our LG refrigerator due to 'Non Cooling Event(s)'.
    We don't qualify. Haven't had that issue.

nyccarguy said:

tjc78 said:

I’m so happy that I never had a mortgage on my house. So many entities trying to carve a piece out of you.
    You are not kidding about having a lot of entities with their hands out trying to take a piece of the pie!!!! It's hard to reduce them too!!!

Frankly, as useless as Bank-hired appraisers are (given they are inaccurate constantly) Banks might as well not hire them and everyone saves the money (namely the buyer/seller as they end up paying for it). That was probably the best thing Obama did; HARP 2.0 allowed loans without the wasted time and cost of a hired appraiser.