Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,093
    edited October 2020
    Yeesh!

andre, as a fellow '57 Mopar owner, you are in some pretty good company!
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,137
    I suspect just the Eldo, or maybe the Eldo and Seville, but I have nothing solid to base that on.

I think I've mentioned it, a good family friend back in the day had an 81 Fleetwood with the V8-6-4. He had the car until the late 90s, and kept it fairly pristine, it was a handsome dark blue with matching (button tufted) leather interior. I recall him saying the variable displacement was never much trouble, but I don't know if he had it converted to V8 only. Sadly, he sold it off in the late 90s, I recall he bought a Ranger 4x4 and a Windstar, of all things.

Another good friend of the family had a pretty two tone light-medium blue 79-80 Eldo, it was gas, I guess that would be a 350 or 368. I rode in it many times, and always liked that car, smooth and quiet. I recall it had an early digital readout stereo. Come to think of it, that person also replaced it with a minivan - maybe something to do with people aging.

andre1969 said:

fintail said:

Decontented? 81 was a V8-6-4, that's extra content if I've ever seen it! B)

I think I recall the story behind that car being a metal plate under the passenger compartment or something similar. Been ages since I've seen the movie, lots of cars in it.

Fun pic, I think today that clamshell Buick wagon would be the most valuable of the three.

I'm just going on memory here, but I think that there was some kind of inherent vibration with the V-8-6-4 that they just couldn't figure out how to get rid of, but putting a metal plate under the passenger compartment dampened it out.

I don't know if all V-8-6-4 Cadillacs got it, or just the Eldorado?

I recall the Escalade I rented last year had cylinder deactivation. It was seamless - GM has usually done a good job with its big SUVs. Not sure if it helped much with mpg, but probably didn't hurt.

Thinking of those speeds, the fintail is also much happier sauntering along at 50 than pushing 70 or more, probably because the engine is/feels fairly wound up above that point.
    andre1969 said:

Yeah, I'd heard that about the V-8-6-4, that it was just a matter of disconnecting a couple wires, and it would run on 8 cylinders all the time. I had always heard that the biggest problem was when it was in 6-cyl mode, but looking on the internet, it seems most complaints were in delayed engine response, in switching from 4 or 6 cylinders back to all 8. And, there were customer complaints about the engine being rough in 4 or 6 cyl mode.

Supposedly, the engine also had issues around the speeds of 45 mph and again at 68. At those particular speeds, it was more likely to "hunt" between the cylinder ranges, and apparently wasn't too sophisticated about it.

My 2012 Ram has cylinder deactivation, but it only goes from 8 to 4 cylinders. The shift is almost imperceptible, but if you want to know when it's coming on, you can toggle through and it will display "ECON ON" or something to that effect, where the odometer/trip odometer/outdoor temperature display is.

I wonder, in the real world, how much cylinder deactivation really improves fuel economy, anyway? I have a feeling it's one of those things that looks good in a laboratory test, and helps boost EPA and CAFE numbers, but the typical driver doesn't really notice. For instance, if it boosted your highway mileage from, say, 21 mpg to 22, it's not going to save you much. But, if it helps GM save $millions in fines, they'll do it. And, over enough sales volume, it does help somewhat, with dependence on fuel.

It also seems like there's just something "magical" about 45 mph. I remember that was the speed where GM's earlier 4-speed automatics tended to hunt around between 3rd and 4th. And even on my '79 5th Ave, which just has a 3-speed automatic, it hates cruising around 45-50 mph, under level road, light load situations. It will grumble a bit, and almost beg you to either stomp on the gas and go faster, or manually downshift to second.

Here's a pretty good write-up of the V-8-6-4: https://blog.consumerguide.com/cadillac-v8-6-4/

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,301
    $8500 a month is property taxes is pretty cheap on a 30 mil property.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,509
    That would be the taxes on a $3 million house by me.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,079

Darn it Greg, I can't see/open that image! As I've said, I have a cheap, loser tablet, LOL.

Let me try posting the pic again in a different way:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

LOLOLOL! What are the chances?!
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,678
    Here's a screen shot of the place, from Google Maps...

It's on 1.7 acres. Doesn't look like that much, at a quick glance, but that is a big house! Plus, it has a swimming pool and tennis court.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,901
    edited October 2020
    The 2013 Tahoe we had at work had cylinder deactivation. I could feel it engage but it wasn’t intrusive at all. Almost felt like the torque converter locking and unlocking

There was a readout you could select that showed you when it was happening

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

just need to look at the tach if you want to know!

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,901
    It didn’t change IIRC

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,346
    Stutz tackiness.
    texases said:

And remember, the '73 was a 2.5 mph bumper, the full 5 mph standard started in '74.

I believe what finally killed the moronic bumper standards was a court ruling that the NHTSA [non-permissible content removed] lacked the authority to regulate how much damage could be sustained in a low speed collision.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

tjc78 said:

It didn’t change IIRC

oops. my bad. I was thinking auto stop/start. Our old RDX had the VCM. Nothing told you it was active, it was more of a "feeling" (and looking at the instant MPG readout).

Just curious, what are current bumper standards for cars? I have a feeling that they're still supposed to protect the safety/functional components of the car (headlights, radiator, etc,) up to a certain speed. But, at one point I think the standard was so strict that the bumper mechanism itself needed to survive undamaged. So basically, you were free to ram, or get rammed, again.

Nowadays though, I think they might have gotten rid of the standard for the mechanism to survive undamaged. Seems like bumpers are good for one hit, and then need to be replaced. I was also under the impression that trucks and SUVs had finally been reigned in, and forced to comply to at least some form of standard, but I saw info out there saying that they're not. But, over the years, they have weakened the bumpers on trucks. Back in the day when I had my Granddad's old '85 Silverado, and the snowplows would throw up piles of snow that blocked the driveway, if I was feeling lazy sometimes I'd just use that truck to bash through it. No way in hell I'm doing that with the Ram! It would probably leave its bumper fascia planted in the snow bank, and I have a feeling there would be styrofoam all over the place!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,739
    It seems the standards are all about pedestrian impact, now.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I thought 2.5MPH was still a thing. But definitely more rules around pedestrian safety too (so more blunt front ends and higher hoods)

kyfdx said:

It seems the standards are all about pedestrian impact, now.

More unwarranted interference with the Law of Natural Selection.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    DOT bumper standards define requirements for passenger cars only. SUVs, pickup trucks and minivans are not covered by those standards which keeps Darwin Award selection rolling.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    One of my friends sent me a couple of pictures of his latest acquisition. And yes, that's his garage...

that a real gt40 or a kit?

A replica.

Pretty sure I saw a fintail being trailered in oncoming traffic in rural eastern WA today - the shape and size looked right. Noticed a suburban business with a Packard Henney Junior ambulance being used as a sign, this has to be incredibly rare (others have spotted it and put it online):

Saw maybe half a dozen 2002s driving on Stevens Pass in a group, also a group of late model Corvettes, a nice W123, some old VWs, some old trucks.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    Not a bad haul for a single 300-mile stint!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    That '51-54 style Packard is rare in a sedan, yet a Henney-bodied anything. My hometown Studebaker-Packard dealer--his Dad picked up Packard in 1941 and dropped (or was dropped by) them in around 1950. He picked them up again for '55 after the merger, but our town had no Packard dealer from '50-54.

Their sales had dwindled to 27K for '54. In that price class, it seemed that buyers then expected more-frequent restyling and V8 engines.
    nice looking version.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,704
    A couple of classic (not just old) cars - a '62-ish Corvette, and a TR-3, both looked to be in great shape, both red.
    Those '51-56 Packards seem to me like they were almost caught between eras. The '51 body actually seems pretty modern looking, if a bit conservative, but some of the details like the grille and such seemed like it was still trying to shake off the 40's. And, having the cheaper styles and the more expensive styles look so much alike probably hurt their luxury image.

The '55 update helped make it look pretty modern, at a quick glance, but I have a feeling the high beltline betrayed its age.
    edited October 2020
    I think the '51-54 grille looks like a headboard, LOL. My favorite Packard is probably a '56 Four-Hundred, but that high beltline does betray its age. The way the wheel openings on a '55-56 are, to me, make the cars look pretty heavy too.

The torsion-level ride was a great achievement I think, but there were a lot of quality issues with the cars.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,972
    edited October 2020
    andre1969 said:

Wow...just the property taxes alone on that place are about $8500 per month! ($102K in 2019).

In contrast, this is about as close as I'll ever get to being able to pull off the illusion of luxury. I was trying to ape those old car ads where they'd park a car out by the swimming pool for a glamour shot.

I do like the glamour shot. Does the New Yorker that you are thinking about getting rid of have a good wiper motor that still parks the wipers so they 'hide away'? I've noticed on a lot of older Chrysler and Ford products the wipers no longer park in the full down 'hidden' position.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

I remember when GM was making a big deal of hideaway wipers (about the same time as no more ventipanes). My Dad's take: "Snow gets down in there; bad idea", LOL. He was not a fan of ventipanes going away either.
    Didn't some makes have a moveable panel for a few years that covered the wipers?
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,972
    edited October 2020
    The Corvette had a panel that would lift up to allow the wipers to come out from hiding. I think there was an override to keep the panel open for snow and ice. GM, on the base model intermediates would cheap out and have the wipers exposed instead of hidden. You knew it was a cheapie just by seeing that.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Yep, Corvette C3, now I remember:

Yet another unrestored old VW on the road in Spokane, this one a Beetle from around 1960. I also noticed a little used car lot not far from me has a smattering of oddballs - Geo Metro, 90s Mercury Capri, early Neons, Allroad - someone is into it.

sda said:

I do like the glamour shot. Does the New Yorker that you are thinking about getting rid of have a good wiper motor that still parks the wipers so they 'hide away'? I've noticed on a lot of older Chrysler and Ford products the wipers no longer park in the full down 'hidden' position.

Thanks! I think the wiper motor on my other New Yorker does actually park properly. However, only the wiper on the driver's side is working. I believe though, that the motor actually controls the the driver's side, and then there's an arm that goes out to the passenger side, to operate it? It's been ages since I've messed with it, though.

I think the problem with my 5th Ave might be in the switch on the steering column, though. When I turn the wipers off, they simply stop immediately in whatever position they're in when I turn them off. They don't automatically drop down, so I try my best to time it, and turn them off when they're in the lowest position. And, the cruise control is on the same stalk, so sometimes when I turn on the cruise (which surprisingly, still works) it will occasionally turn the wipers on.

Years ago, the wipers stopped working completely, and my mechanic messed around with them, the best he could, to get them mostly working again. I remember him saying that at that point, it was pretty much impossible to find suitable replacement parts. So, I just learned to live with it. I also put Rain-X on the windshield, so I wouldn't have to use the wipers as often.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited October 2020

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Not seeing a link Imid.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,301
    Thought there would be more vintage cars in this video of the backstory of the movie It's A Mad Mad Mad mad World.
    It was more about the people, but was worth watching to me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMXdS3wi6DQ
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Maybe my favorite film growing up.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,979
    edited October 2020
    texases said:

Maybe my favorite film growing up.

I remember watching it at my grandmothers' house on network TV when I was a kid in the 70's.

I'll still watch it, to this day, if I encounter it on cable.

I know that one scene was filmed in my hometown.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I am shocked there weren't more incidents, given some of the nutty stunts:

https://youtu.be/WlC1Fboq5vI

I'm another big IAMMMMW fan, maybe no surprise as I like the cars of that general era, and that kind of humor. There's also scenes with a 60 Ford wagon in the background, and even a brief shot with a fintail in the background.

When I was a student, I took "Music Appreciation" or something similar as a basic humanities class, and we had to write a paper about the musical score of a movie. I chose IAMMMMW, and I think I got an A on it.
    have not seen that in ages. Now I want to give it another watch.

This scene always breaks me up. Such a great-looking airplane too.

https://youtu.be/hJ91FymytWY

An old fashioned the old fashioned way, the way dear old dad used to - that line stuck with me.

So many cars in a short scene:

https://youtu.be/fXD6xZVnClk
    amazing cast in that movie.

I've never seen it in its entirety. We had it on TV maybe a year or two ago and my wife (age 55) said "Turn this off!". I'm going to have to watch it when I won't be, ahem, interrupted!

I'm a spouse of a good Catholic, and a few years back the priest mentioned loving this movie, which gave me something to talk to him about on the way out of church!
    edited October 2020
    The only part of the movie that disappointed me was the penultimate scene with the fire ladder truck, which wasn't up to the level of the rest of the movie.

OTOH, the scene with Sid Caesar and Edie Adams in the hardware store basement was incredible.

fintail said:

I am shocked there weren't more incidents, given some of the nutty stunts:

https://youtu.be/WlC1Fboq5vI

When I came on Edmund's today, yours was the first post I saw. I haven't seen that movie in ages, but without even clicking "play", knew exactly what that scene was!

I think I first saw it in my mid teens, and honestly, thought it was kind of dumb, at the time. But, it's a movie that definitely grows on you, and gets better with age!

Thank you for posting that video about the making of the movie. Interesting and informative.

Edie Adams was supposedly from Grove City, PA, a small town about 25 miles from my own.