Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    Pass the popcorn!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271
    edited October 2020
    I sold four Audi wheels to a guy in Las Vegas. Only three wheels made it. They were in BBS boxes and shipped by FedEx.

Do the people of Phoenix not like me (since that box tracking says it has been in Phoenix since 10/5) or is it a FedEx conspiracy? Maybe they don’t like BBS boxes?

Thankfully I paid the filthy greedy scummy company for insurance so that I will be reimbursed.

I’m glad that I have the FedEx receipt and a picture of the wheel...
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    edited October 2020
    Okay, which one of you is going to buy Legitstreetcars' Fiero? Hoovie's latest video also gave away a couple of secrets, looks like he has an early 1990s DeVille (looked like one with the first generation Northstar) and a final-generation Park Avenue Ultra, plus a couple of others he didn't want to talk about.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    mjfloyd1 said:

I sold four Audi wheels to a guy in Las Vegas. Only three wheels made it. They were in BBS boxes and shipped by FedEx.

Do the people of Phoenix not like me (since that box tracking says it has been in Phoenix since 10/5) or is it a FedEx conspiracy? Maybe they don’t like BBS boxes?

Thankfully I paid the filthy greedy scummy company for insurance so that I will be reimbursed.

Boy, that could screw up your sale. Who wants just 3 wheels.

I’ve recently read stories of thefts from Fed Ex facilities being a problem. Usually it’s shipments of firearms going missing but I suppose some employee might need a replacement wheel on his Audi.

There was one story I read where a gun went missing and management announced in the warehouse that the ATF was coming in to interview people. The gun arrived at it’s proper destination a day later.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

corvette said:

Okay, which one of you is going to buy Legitstreetcars' Fiero? Hoovie's latest video also gave away a couple of secrets, looks like he has an early 1990s DeVille (looked like one with the first generation Northstar) and a final-generation Park Avenue Ultra, plus a couple of others he didn't want to talk about.

My kid’s 93’ Deville had the 4.9L. I think the Northstar was put in the 94’ model.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    corvette said:

I have been watching that Fiero series. what a whacky car.

Hoovies piece today showing the fleet was a riot. And sneak preview of cartrek 3.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

mjfloyd1 said:

Boy, that could screw up your sale. Who wants just 3 wheels.

I’ve recently read stories of thefts from Fed Ex facilities being a problem. Usually it’s shipments of firearms going missing but I suppose some employee might need a replacement wheel on his Audi.

There was one story I read where a gun went missing and management announced in the warehouse that the ATF was coming in to interview people. The gun arrived at it’s proper destination a day later.
    I refunded him about a third of the total cost. He found a wheel in California off of eBay so it is no longer my problem.

I'll just wait for Fedex to refund me.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    corvette said:

That should be set afire and driven off a cliff never to be seen again.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

While I think these are about the girliest cars ever, it looks kinda cool in this combo.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/share/285025759

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    Seeing the Wizard’s Beetle has me rethinking my previous beliefs on them.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    edited October 2020
    This fiero Ferrari is worse

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.autoblog.com/amp/2020/08/31/fake-ferrari-enzo-fiero-auction/

Eww. Just saw interior pics of the one that you posted. I stand corrected
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    andres3 said:

I might just be saying that because I haven't got a ticket since that Alltrack incident.

This person seems to have more and more lengthy disputes with the assembled here than most. I can't keep track of the various people he carries on with. Some of you are pretty careful with tracking those of us on here. Is it my imagination, or are there several? It used to do with how all speed limits were unacceptable, but now we've moved on.

Oh boy.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    qbrozen said:

corvette said:

That should be set afire and driven off a cliff never to be seen again.
    no need to set it on fire. It will self immolate soon enough.

I would not drive that without a couple of large fires extinguishers in the passenger seat.

edited October 2020

corvette said:

My kid’s 93’ Deville had the 4.9L. I think the Northstar was put in the 94’ model.
    Interesting... It was definitely the mid-1990s body style with the flush door handles, but had rectangular headlights (before they went to more square shaped headlights around 2000-ish, I think). Could be a 4.9, or could be a Northstar, which I'm sure the Wizard can completely sort out, given an unlimited budget. :D

Come to think of it, that could make for good TV: "I bought the CHEAPEST Northstar DeVille... You WON'T BELIEVE what it cost to make right!"
    qbrozen said:

While I think these are about the girliest cars ever, it looks kinda cool in this combo.

never saw one with that red interior/top. I kinda like it. If it was a manual, I would drive it.

qbrozen said:

I knew a woman who had one of those. Constant electrical problems. Traded it for a Chevy I think.

corvette said:

corvette said:

Interesting... It was definitely the mid-1990s body style with the flush door handles, but had rectangular headlights (before they went to more square shaped headlights around 2000-ish, I think). Could be a 4.9, or could be a Northstar, which I'm sure the Wizard can completely sort out, given an unlimited budget. :D

Come to think of it, that could make for good TV: "I bought the CHEAPEST Northstar DeVille... You WON'T BELIEVE what it cost to make right!"
    Did it look like this?

Didn’t the Wizard buy one of Hoovie’s 93’ Allantes? Those had the Northstar 4.6 I think. He gave it to his wife but in a recent video it was under a cover up for sale.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,768
    We are going to stop posting about other members. If not, we'll have to banish you to Cars&Conversation, where you can discuss washers and dryers.

This is the only notice.

Thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    I had a 89 Seville with the 4.5. It was 155 hp and had good torque. Smooth, quiet with a refined muscular exhaust note. Decent performance, not fast, took regular gas and routinely got 25 mpg+ on the road. It was a marked improvement over the 4.1. I drove a 90 Seville with the 4.9 and that car felt fast compared to the 89. I believe the 4.9 was 200 hp but required premium. I don’t think the 4.5 or 4.9 had issues like the 4.1 or the newer Northstar.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

The Wizard is having a "garage" sale, selling a few of the excess vehicles. The Allante, a 1970ish sedan deVille, and a motorcycle. And his turbo bug. A few of them seem to still be sitting there in the background.

stickguy said:

The Wizard is having a "garage" sale, selling a few of the excess vehicles. The Allante, a 1970ish sedan deVille, and a motorcycle. And his turbo bug. A few of them seem to still be sitting there in the background.

I’d take that old Deville. I like the Allante too but if the Wizard is tired of fixing it I’d stand no chance.

I saw Hoovie’s video tour of his collection and I think that white Caddy he is hiding behind his house is a late 90s with the most problematic Northstar version. That should be an interesting project.

sda said:

I had a 89 Seville with the 4.5. It was 155 hp and had good torque. Smooth, quiet with a refined muscular exhaust note. Decent performance, not fast, took regular gas and routinely got 25 mpg+ on the road. It was a marked improvement over the 4.1. I drove a 90 Seville with the 4.9 and that car felt fast compared to the 89. I believe the 4.9 was 200 hp but required premium. I don’t think the 4.5 or 4.9 had issues like the 4.1 or the newer Northstar.

The kid’s 4.9 was pretty trouble free for a $1200 car.Leaky valve covers was the worst thing I can remember. Too bad the rest of the car fell apart around the motor. Yep, 200hp on premium. Felt fast.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,768
    Just noticed (after 8 months). The GTI doesn't require Premium gas.
    But, manual states that full performance is only achieved with Premium. But, regular won't hurt it.

On a related note, when it got new shoes at Costco on Wednesday, I filled up with Costco Premium (top tier gas) for $2.29/gal. We don't live close enough to Costco to go regularly.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    edited October 2020
    I'm still 99% sure I'm going with a reasonably quick RWD vehicle if/when I replace the 2 Series, but I could be tempted by this GTI Clubsport if it makes it across the pond(its predecessors didn't). And I still want to check out the 2021 Veloster N, the new M style seats could make a big difference in comfort:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    mjfloyd1 said:

I thought it was going to be a story of selling wheels, but man, that's no good. Why would ONE box of four end up being in shipping purgatory?! There's no accounting for handling, I guess. Somebody must have had a strong need for that ONE wheel. :(

I sold the wheels from my wife's Forester yesterday morning, along with the Micheline X-Ice tires that were on them. I decided to go a different route for the wheels next summer, so it seemed like a good time to let them go. No shipping, so transfer occurred without incident. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    corvette said:

I have always had a strong like for the Fiero (just the look of them, not the mechanics!), but that one makes me cringe.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    qbrozen said:

Super-girly... and perfect for automotive eyelashes! :D

I'm still 99% sure I'm going with a reasonably quick RWD vehicle if/when I replace the 2 Series, but I could be tempted by this

Seems like a small detail, but I really like a lot of the contrasting-color seatbelts I see in cars the last few years. It is a nice detail that was, perhaps, overlooked for decades! :D

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    xwesx said:

I'm still 99% sure I'm going with a reasonably quick RWD vehicle if/when I replace the 2 Series, but I could be tempted by this

Seems like a small detail, but I really like a lot of the contrasting-color seatbelts I see in cars the last few years. It is a nice detail that was, perhaps, overlooked for decades! :D

Not at all. With GM back in the '60s and '70s, you got black belts regardless of the interior color you selected. So unless you ordered a black interior, you had contrasting belts. :smile:

Unless, of course, you ordered "deluxe" belts, which were color coordinated and came with fancier buckles.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited October 2020
    MB has a bad PCV, it would seem. CEL was on and that's what the code points to. Apparently common on these engines, as the PCV design is garbage. A new one is $100, though. Ouch. But, it may explain some things I have been seeing. For example, the oil dipstick keeps popping out of its tube. Not the whole stick, but the top of it. So it would seem like there is pressure pushing it out. The other thing is still the oil leak. I wonder if it isn't getting pushed out and maybe this fix would help that, too. I know, I know, wishful thinking.

On the good side of things, it passed state inspection. My lovely wife took it for me yesterday while I was working.

edited October 2020
    xwesx said:

mjfloyd1 said:

I thought it was going to be a story of selling wheels, but man, that's no good. Why would ONE box of four end up being in shipping purgatory?! There's no accounting for handling, I guess. Somebody must have had a strong need for that ONE wheel. :(

I sold the wheels from my wife's Forester yesterday morning, along with the Micheline X-Ice tires that were on them. I decided to go a different route for the wheels next summer, so it seemed like a good time to let them go. No shipping, so transfer occurred without incident. :D
    I probably did myself in by shipping in BBS boxes but that was what I had. I figured that they all would disappear and insured them with that in mind.

When I tracked them initially, one box was headed to Florida and three were headed to Oklahoma. I knew that it would not end well
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    edited October 2020
    Got a FedEx envelope with a form and an email with another form attached from Vroom today.
    Had to sign/re-sign the forms and sent them back.
    I am guessing the issue is that my truck had my name including my middle initial and I signed without.
    Got my check and loan payoff notice quite a while ago.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited October 2020
    I think I saw the old Acura from @stickguy had a price drop?
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    kyfdx said:

If not, we'll have to banish you to Cars&Conversation, where you can discuss washers and dryers.

This made me shudder.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

It will be OK. I will stop feeding the trolls.
    I'm loving the full power roll down rear window in the Tundra. It's perfect for days like today when you don't really need A/C, but also don't want to be billowed in the face with wind on the highway. You can crack the rear window or power it down the whole way without generating a windstorm, and there's no buffeting. I thought it was a gimmick, but it's actually a really thoughtful feature. It doesn't really seem to add much thickness to the rear of the cab, either.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    xwesx said:

I agree; the M Competition models have a Motorsport stripe on one edge of their belts. A cool touch.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

mjfloyd1 said:

yup. Dropped $400! at this point, they are not really making much on the deal, but that is their problem not mine.

I thought it was humorous that they sent me an Email about it this morning: "a car that you have been looking at had a price drop!"

Got a FedEx envelope with a form and an email with another form attached from Vroom today.
    Had to sign/re-sign the forms and sent them back.
    I am guessing the issue is that my truck had my name including my middle initial and I signed without.
    Got my check and loan payoff notice quite a while ago.

If so, that would be crazy. Many, perhaps even most, people (myself included), have signatures such that you likely would be unable to determine whether it included a middle initial, name, or anything else in there!
    edited October 2020
    corvette said:

I'm loving the full power roll down rear window in the Tundra. It's perfect for days like today when you don't really need A/C, but also don't want to be billowed in the face with wind on the highway. You can crack the rear window or power it down the whole way without generating a windstorm, and there's no buffeting. I thought it was a gimmick, but it's actually a really thoughtful feature. It doesn't really seem to add much thickness to the rear of the cab, either.

An opening rear window is something I do wish my C20 had. My dad had a 1979 F150 for most of my childhood years, and it had a manual opening rear window. Indeed, it was a nice feature! A schoolmate's family had a slightly newer square-body Ford with a crew cab... and it also had a manual sliding rear window. I mentioned the impracticality of that once to her dad, and he said, "That's why I always have one of the kids in the back seat!" :D
    still not a fan of black interiors, but I would make an exception for that one. Sweet car, though the tiny sidewalls would give me agita.

qbrozen said:

MB has a bad PCV, it would seem. CEL was on and that's what the code points to. Apparently common on these engines, as the PCV design is garbage. A new one is $100, though. Ouch. But, it may explain some things I have been seeing. For example, the oil dipstick keeps popping out of its tube. Not the whole stick, but the top of it. So it would seem like there is pressure pushing it out. The other thing is still the oil leak. I wonder if it isn't getting pushed out and maybe this fix would help that, too. I know, I know, wishful thinking.

On the good side of things, it passed state inspection. My lovely wife took it for me yesterday while I was working.

That might be a good guess. Years ago I had a truck that leaked from all the seals because of high crankcase pressure. The PCV worked fine but the rest of the engine was shot.

stickguy said:

mjfloyd1 said:

yup. Dropped $400! at this point, they are not really making much on the deal, but that is their problem not mine.

I thought it was humorous that they sent me an Email about it this morning: "a car that you have been looking at had a price drop!"
    According to one video I watched, used car prices have peaked and dealers are going to be in a bind trying to sell the inventory they paid too much for during the last few months.

How does it feel to have snookered a dealer for a change?

qbrozen said:

That might be a good guess. Years ago I had a truck that leaked from all the seals because of high crankcase pressure. The PCV worked fine but the rest of the engine was shot.
    car wizard recently did a diagnosis like this. Ridiculous high pressure causing all kinds of problems and leaks. Fixed the clog, and issues dissapeared.

stickguy said:

mjfloyd1 said:

According to one video I watched, used car prices have peaked and dealers are going to be in a bind trying to sell the inventory they paid too much for during the last few months.

How does it feel to have snookered a dealer for a change?
    Weird. Might be the first time I was on this end of the deal.

actually hoping things in the market calm down, and by the spring time it will be more of a normal to buyers market. I figure once the weather starts getting nice, I will be antsy to add a car!

actually went out today and did some driving, running around doing errands. Happened to drive by the local auto mall, and from what I could see from the road, they had a ton of cars. Maybe they were faking it by putting all the cars up front, instead of the usually overflowing back lots. That operation (TJC will know it well) has a ton of cars, and even their own test track you get to drive on.

love the colors on this one. Nice lowish miles Florida car (AKA an Oldfarmer special). Probably "stately" performance with the 6 banger, but should be relatively cheap to maintain.

https://www.royaleasing.com/details-1995-mercedes~benz-sl_class-sl_class_2dr_roadster_3_2l-used-wdbfa63e4sf116821.html

they also have a 2003 50k mile SLK coming soon (no pictures yet) for $8,900. But that one has a 6 speed manual! Might have to go check that one out when it arrives.