Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    dad23 said:

We would have had PMI on our first house but our lender suggested we take out a small 2nd that covered the difference which we paid off pretty aggressively. I would have never thought about that option. Thankfully, we never had to worry about PMI with our last two houses.

When we sold our house in 1998, the buyer did an 80/10 1st/2nd mortgage with 10% down, to avoid PMI. Smooth move.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,259
    kyfdx said:

dad23 said:

We would have had PMI on our first house but our lender suggested we take out a small 2nd that covered the difference which we paid off pretty aggressively. I would have never thought about that option. Thankfully, we never had to worry about PMI with our last two houses.

When we sold our house in 1998, the buyer did an 80/10 1st/2nd mortgage with 10% down, to avoid PMI. Smooth move.
    Hmm, wish our mortgage broker had suggested that. We went in with 10% down on the house we currently live in.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    abacomike said:

Well, I just started two new insurance policies that together saved me about $800 annually on Auto and Condo. Auto is underwritten by Allstate and Condo is underwritten by Castle Key Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of Allstate. I went ahead and cancelled the Condo policy effective today because I received a binder from the Agent. I cancelled the Auto policy with Geico effective 10/22/20 which is when the new policy takes effect.

Hopefully I made the right decisions regarding my insurance coverages - only time will tell.

I don't think I have ever heard anything bad about Allstate so you should be fine.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941

Isn't PMI paid when you don't have 20% or so equity?

I recently found out it is not so simple. I've never personally paid PMI, but when my brother and his girlfriend were in the process of buying my parents' house, they asked me to look over all the paperwork. House appraised at $360k and they were borrowing $175k. Yes, less than 50%. Yet, they are getting charged PMI! I called the broker and he explained that the loan is so tricky because he doesn't have provable income and her credit is so bad, so he had to go with the one lender who would actually take the deal, and they insisted on PMI. It makes NO sense to me whatsoever, but no amount of arguing was making it go away.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    qbrozen said:

Isn't PMI paid when you don't have 20% or so equity?

I recently found out it is not so simple. I've never personally paid PMI, but when my brother and his girlfriend were in the process of buying my parents' house, they asked me to look over all the paperwork. House appraised at $360k and they were borrowing $175k. Yes, less than 50%. Yet, they are getting charged PMI! I called the broker and he explained that the loan is so tricky because he doesn't have provable income and her credit is so bad, so he had to go with the one lender who would actually take the deal, and they insisted on PMI. It makes NO sense to me whatsoever, but no amount of arguing was making it go away.
    Cash is KING! Except when trying to buy an Alltrack in Arizona apparently.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    When buying our 2nd home in 2004, we did the mortgage/HEL trick. For our current home, I borrowed a good bit of the 20% down payment from my 401k since we weren't selling our other house.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,317
    @qbrozen,
    There is always the outlier situation but doesn't apply to the other 99%.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,544
    I think the 20% is just the rule of thumb. PMI is really just something to cover the lenders exposure in case you do pay and they have to repo the house and deal with it. So in the QB situation, it makes sense in theory.

the problem to me is using % and not $ amount. why is 20% of 200K ($40,000) enough, but 15% of 600K ($90,000) not?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,259
    I think our PMI only runs for 5 years, or if we refi and meet the 80% LTV ratio.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

@stickguy,
    I would say the higher the home price, the more the market value variability.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    edited October 2020
    We've seen the Walmart shopper photos.

Here's a Dollar General shopper. Here kitty, kitty, kitty...

Photos from Floyd County Sheriffs department facebook--Kentucky.

Young bobcat.

https://www.facebook.com/kyfloydsheriff

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    edited October 2020
    I googled the address of that store to see how rural the area is and saw another obscure visitor leaving the Dollar General in Martin, KY.

Not sure what it is but seems to be moving along under its own power.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    Martin is definitely deep into Appalachia.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,664
    edited October 2020
    omarman said:

I googled the address of that store to see how rural the area is and saw another obscure visitor leaving the Dollar General in Martin, KY.

Not sure what it is but seems to be moving along under its own power.

Looks like a 1950 Dodge Coronet.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    That's it. Same color too.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    This is definitely not Appalachia, check out this modest little property outside of Philly in Lower Gwynedd Township, PA. The link to the video below is worth watching (turn down the sound) for the impressive drone work. If I read the ad correctly parts of the place go back to the 1700s but it seems to go on forever, a real rabbit warren. I cannot imagine the upkeep required.

Listing link: https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/real-estate/unspecified/unspecified/2439740.html

Video link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f4nfhjfkmk1e6up/Meetinghouse-New.mp4?dl=0

I think I'd be quite happy living in the pool house.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited October 2020
    Given the style of the house, the washer and dryer are quite jarring.
    We are supposed to talk about washers here, right? ;)
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    I just heard from my Viessmann HVAC guy. I am beginning to think that he is stringing me along since he gave me that tired old excuse that he has been extremely busy and hasn't had the time to work out an estimate. Perhaps it's time to move on but since I don't have an immediate need for a boiler I am willing to give him a chance. Wait in purgatory or move on?

there are quite a few estates out in that area. That is the main line, where the "old" Philadelphia money congregated. Beautiful area. House is OK. I want the 9+ car garage space. Owner seems to like Fords though.

poking on Youtube, I discovered a series of videos that some guy did as a documentary, where he just drives through different towns/areas in Appalachia and does some historical commentary on them. Some pretty derelict towns these days.

According to one of the mods, it is apparently why this board was created. Who knew? :open_mouth:

stickguy said:

there are quite a few estates out in that area. That is the main line, where the "old" Philadelphia money congregated. Beautiful area. House is OK. I want the 9+ car garage space. Owner seems to like Fords though.

That's like the beautiful girl you meet but then discover she has halitosis. :laughing:

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,356
    More fun from Criminal Court on Skype...

We had a young lady on the probation revocation docket- very mouthy, wouldn't listen to her attorney or the judge. She kept saying "I want to go to REHAB!!!"- never mind she had been sent to several treatment centers and walked away from all of them. I was waiting for an opportunity to speak so I could refer to the girl as "Ms. Winehouse", and almost simultaneously I received a text from a defense attorney with a link to the Winehouse song Rehab. I told the attorney what I had been planning and she said that she would have completely lost it if I actually had called the girl "Winehouse."

I had another revocation hearing with a notorious attorney that everyone in my area knows- she's the kind of attorney that elicits groans whenever her name is mentioned- lets call her CL(Crazy Lawyer). Anyway, it was a simple revocation, pretty much open and shut- a standard condition of probation is no new criminal convictions- this person had picked up three AND was also running an illegal pull-tab gambling racket on her public FB page(I even had the screenshots). Anyway, I asked my witness(the Probation Officer) at most 5 questions; CL cross examined the PO for maybe 20 minutes, asking all kinds of inane questions. When it was time for closing arguments CL continued on with her obtuse comments. I was all primed to respond with a boatload of caustic and sarcastic comments but the judge ruled for me without giving me an opportunity to respond; I was bummed.

On Wednesdays a lot of the attorneys and the Circuit and District Judges hit a local watering hole to unwind. I told the judge I was disappointed that I wasn't allowed to make a closing argument because I had a lot of sarcastic comments prepared and he laughed and told me that he was certain of that and that's why he didn't give me a chance. I also found out that several people who didn't have cases had signed on to that docket anyway because they had learned that I had a hearing with the Crazy Lawyer and they were hoping for some entertaining fireworks.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    I finally received a price quote from my HVAC guy. It will take two days to complete and the cheapest options are:

Option One (installed price $16,335 if signed by 10/21/20 or $17,500)

Navien NCB240 (tankless) 95% efficient with $2,400 rebate
    Direct vented, Good brand, great technical support and reliable.
    10 year heat exchanger warranty, 5 year parts warranty, 5 YEAR LABOR WARRANTY
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Option Two (installed price $16,995 if signed by 10/21/20 or $18,219)

Viessmann Vitodens 100 Combi boiler (tankless) 95% efficient, $2,400 rebate
    Direct vented
    Great option, extremely reliable and bullet proof quality
    Easy to service and maintain
    Lifetime heat exchanger warranty (must register)
    5 year parts warranty (must register), 5 YEAR LABOR WARRANTY

The pricier options with are $19,995 and $23,075 respectively; both come with an indirect hot water tank.
    A friend in my local CCA chapter was tired of modding the N54 in his E90 335i and bought a new Camaro SS 1LE. Today the motor blew up at Road America- with only 6,000 miles on it. He’s a good HPDE driver and I don’t think he made a “money shift,” so I guess we will see if Chevrolet covers the new motor. Like Ford, Chevrolet advertises that non-competitive track events won’t void the powertrain warranties of their track capable models.
    There’s already been some discussion of the oil temperature possibly being a factor. I remember that Grassroots Motorsports had a 2015(IIRC) Camaro SS 1LE project car and they discovered that the oil temperature gauge did not use a temperature sensor- the oil temperature was an estimate that was extrapolated from other engine parameters. I don't know if later Camaros share that setup or not.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

A friend in my local CCA chapter was tired of modding the N54 in his E90 335i and bought a new Camaro SS 1LE. Today the motor blew up at Road America- with only 6,000 miles on it. He’s a good HPDE driver and I don’t think he made a “money shift,” so I guess we will see if Chevrolet covers the new motor. Like Ford, Chevrolet advertises that non-competitive track events won’t void the powertrain warranties of their track capable models.
    There’s already been some discussion of the oil temperature possibly being a factor. I remember that Grassroots Motorsports had a 2015(IIRC) Camaro SS 1LE project car and they discovered that the oil temperature gauge did not use a temperature sensor- the oil temperature was an estimate that was extrapolated from other engine parameters. I don't know if later Camaros share that setup or not.

Ouch. Keep us updated. I’d like to know more. Details of when/how would be good too.

today's fun and excitement was emptying out the shed. We are getting a new one built next month, so wanted to get a head start on thinning out the junk. So have a load going to the curb for the monthly bulk pickup this week, and a garage bay full of stuff to still sort through (and stuff to go back into the new one). Normally that would bother me, but since we have an empty space these days, no worries!

nasty in there. We have had some mice recently, and discovered some fresh waste products, and in a box of spare table tiles, a big nest. When I pulled some stuff out, the actual mouse fell out and scampered off. Leaving a stinky mess behind. but, got the whole thing emptied, power washed the plastic boxes and shelves, and ready to put stuff back when the new one (hopefully without access holes for mice) arrives.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,428

That really stinks. I’m sure it’s not going to be an easy time dealing with GM to have them pony up for a new motor. Please keep us updated on the play by play.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Only if the hosts ban you from CCBA. :'(

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

bwia said:

I just heard from my Viessmann HVAC guy. I am beginning to think that he is stringing me along since he gave me that tired old excuse that he has been extremely busy and hasn't had the time to work out an estimate. Perhaps it's time to move on but since I don't have an immediate need for a boiler I am willing to give him a chance. Wait in purgatory or move on?

I had the same problem with a larger home repair company that said they were too busy. The estimator finally got tired of me calling and gave me the name of a smaller company. This guy cane right away and charged me 25% less.

Doesn’t hurt to ask.

edited October 2020
    bwia said:

I finally received a price quote from my HVAC guy. It will take two days to complete and the cheapest options are:

Option One (installed price $16,335 if signed by 10/21/20 or $17,500)

Navien NCB240 (tankless) 95% efficient with $2,400 rebate
    Direct vented, Good brand, great technical support and reliable.
    10 year heat exchanger warranty, 5 year parts warranty, 5 YEAR LABOR WARRANTY
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Option Two (installed price $16,995 if signed by 10/21/20 or $18,219)

Viessmann Vitodens 100 Combi boiler (tankless) 95% efficient, $2,400 rebate
    Direct vented
    Great option, extremely reliable and bullet proof quality
    Easy to service and maintain
    Lifetime heat exchanger warranty (must register)
    5 year parts warranty (must register), 5 YEAR LABOR WARRANTY

The pricier options with are $19,995 and $23,075 respectively; both come with an indirect hot water tank.

Wow, at those prices I’d bathe in the creek. And buy a wood stove.

Don’t they recommend some sort of deep sump or something to prevent oil starvation on the track. I seem to remember that the Corvette had some sort of system to prevent oil from pooling on high G turns. Have they considered oil starvation as a possible cause?

One of my friends sent me a couple of pictures of his latest acquisition. And yes, that's his garage...

Farmer, I can buy my wife a lot of sweaters with that kind of money. Though she already has at least 100 in the closet, so no need.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,559

One of my friends sent me a couple of pictures of his latest acquisition. And yes, that's his garage...

WOW, by that standard I’m just a measly tinkerer. :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    stickguy said:

today's fun and excitement was emptying out the shed. We are getting a new one built next month, so wanted to get a head start on thinning out the junk. So have a load going to the curb for the monthly bulk pickup this week, and a garage bay full of stuff to still sort through (and stuff to go back into the new one). Normally that would bother me, but since we have an empty space these days, no worries!

nasty in there. We have had some mice recently, and discovered some fresh waste products, and in a box of spare table tiles, a big nest. When I pulled some stuff out, the actual mouse fell out and scampered off. Leaving a stinky mess behind. but, got the whole thing emptied, power washed the plastic boxes and shelves, and ready to put stuff back when the new one (hopefully without access holes for mice) arrives.

I set out some cheap mousetraps with peanut butter bait in the garage. I caught a dozen in the first week last year. Reminds me, I have to set up the traps and throw some killer bait around the barn before I store a car out there.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

We all knew that even before we saw this garage :p

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

At least I’d know how to use it IF I had it. B)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

jmonroe

I don't need to use it......and you know why? Probably save a huge amount by not DIMyself!

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

jmonroe

I don't need to use it......and you know why? Probably save a huge amount by not DIMyself!
    Somebody who can afford cars like that definitely has a “guy”.

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

jmonroe

I’m not sure how that can be done but maybe you’re the only one who could do that. :(

jmonroe
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

jmonroe

I’m not sure how that can be done but maybe you’re the only one who could do that. :(

jmonroe
    I can get someone to do a lot of repairs....for what that garage would cost me. :o

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    edited October 2020
    Mrs. Snakeweasel and I took a couple of days off and spent them in the beautiful state of Kentucky. We drove down I-65 TO Bowling Green (You may now start playing the Everly Brothers "Bowling Green" in your minds jukebox) and took back roads through central Kentucky back up to Louisville. We came back late last night, a few observations:

1.) I really like Kentucky, probably my favorite state.
    2.) I forgot how much I really like caves.
    3.) The BMW handled the back roads through the rolling Kentucky hills great.
    4.) On the Interstate we were in the mid 30's MPG maintaining a 80 MPH rate through flat Indiana.
    5.) Found a restaurant in the middle of nowhere Kentucky where it had no business being. Stopped in for breakfast and they had some great food. The gravy for the biscuits was superb.
    6.) Note to wife, take my wallet before letting me into the gift shop of any distillery.
    7.) To many distilleries, not enough time.
    8.) My drink cart is stocked for the next year.
    9.) Downtown Louisville on a Saturday night is like being nowhere at all.
    10.) After over a year of ownership my wife just discovered the subtle ambient lighting in the cabin of the BMW on a dark rural interstate in Northern Indiana.
    11.) The Nav system in the BMW kept mispronouncing "Chicago"
    12.) The nav system kept telling me "bear left", I don't care if the bear left and since it was so concerned about the bear why didn't it tell me when the bear returned?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

jmonroe

jmonroe
    I can get someone to do a lot of repairs....for what that garage would cost me. :o
    As usual, you twisted that around. I wasn’t talking about buying a well outfitted garage. I was talking about hiring someone to do things and that being cheaper than doing it yourself but you knew what I was talking about. Whereas, I’m never quite sure where you’re coming from.

jmonroe
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,505
    edited October 2020
    Don't feed the chipmunk.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester

Don't feed the chipmunk.

Maybe I’m trying to get in the last word. OK, the last word that makes at least a little sense.

jmonroe
    jmonroe1 said:

Don't feed the chipmunk.

Maybe I’m trying to get in the last word. OK, the last word that makes at least a little sense.

jmonroe
    1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10....I just used numbers....you can have the last actual "word"! :p

Don't feed the chipmunk.

At least you read my posts :)

Oh I forgot;

#13, Northbound I-65 just south of Indianapolis was full of bugs, by that I mean there was a caravan of about a half dozen or more rather older model VW Bugs. I would say from the 50's and 60's.

jmonroe1 said:

Don't feed the chipmunk.

jmonroe
    I believe that it was Robert Heinlein who said "Never try to get in the last word, you just may get it".