Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota - General Topic

Comments

• lmeyer1lmeyer1 Member Posts: 215
    I know most of this is old news, but Allpar.com posted a description of 2001 changes, some of which I hadn't heard of before (e.g., the front seat belt pretensioners in the QC).

Anyway here's the text:

Four wheel drive vehicles get new electronically shifted transfer cases with a rotary instrument panel control. Sport and SLT models get new 15" aluminum wheels, while special new Tire and Handling options with new wheels and tires are added. The Sport gains a body colored front fascia. All models get new 6x9 side mirrors.

The instrument panel has been redesigned. A new tilt steering column has more positions, and the transmission indicator now has a digital display (44RE and 46RE automatics). The optional premium overhead console now has a universal garage door opener. Stereo options are improved.

The interior has basically been redone, with more cupholders, compartments, and power outlets, more comfortable / better-padded seats, and leather available on the Quad Cab.

The vent system has been improved with more heating and cooling capacity, two additional outlets, and recirculated air available in bi-level mode.

A battery saver is standard, and a rear window defroster is available on the Club Cab. Front seat belt pretensioners are now on the Quad Cab. The optional security alarm has a Sentry Key. The 3.9, 4.7, and (soon-to-be-replaced) 5.9 engines all meet low emission vehicle standards in every state.
    Forgot to add that Allpar says all the info was directly from DC.
  • guttermouthguttermouth Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone heard of a Hemi engine smaller than the 426 that will fit in the Dakota? My friend is saying of how sick he is of how slow his 2000 V6 Dakota is going uphill. He says there is a crate engine called the Hemi smallblock V8 that has near 400 hp that he's going to buy. I looked on the web and I couldn't find a Hemi smallblock. Does it really exist?
  • bobsyveebobsyvee Member Posts: 63
    I know of is the 528c.i., 610 h.p. motor from the Dodge parts dept. It's only $13k. Check the Koller Dodge website. There is also a 360 that I think has over 300 h.p. for a more reasonable price of about $3500.

http://www.kollerdodge.com
  • guttermouthguttermouth Member Posts: 10
    I think that he said Hemi when it really is just a Magnum 360 CID with 380 hp. What's better Magnum or Hemi?
  • bigal31bigal31 Member Posts: 189
    Caught a Quick look at the D/C "crate" engine on horse power TV today. Not sure but I think its the 360. It reruns Sunday so take a look!!
    Allen-
  • piercypiercy Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the responses on my oil pressure question. Now I have another problem.

I have the Infinity sound system with the AM/FM/CD in my 01. The sound is great, but occasionally, while listening to FM, the sound will become muted for a second or two, then return to normal. At first I thought it was only happening to distant stations when the signal became weak, but now I notice it even on stronger local stations. I don't think the problem is in the speakers because when I'm playing CDs it sounds great. AM seems to be okay too.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    (themacguy) I believe you are referring to the "residual viscosity" that cheaper oils will shear down to. Without being too technical... I will attempt to explain...

Some multi-viscosity oils are manufactured by starting with a light oil (ie 20-weight) and adding long-chain polymers to the mix. The polymers tend to 'bind' the oil molecules together so when they get hot, they do not spread apart as much. Result.... the oil does not thin out as much as a "normal" 20-weight oil would at high temperatures.
    HOWEVER
    These polymers tend to get 'chopped' into little pieces by meshing gears and other EP(Extreme Pressure) loads. Thus... you end up with the original 20-weight oil after miles of use.

Any modern, brand name motor oil should not exhibit this characteristic.

The reason that designer - oils (read synthetics) do not succumb to this 'shearing down' is because they are NOT made of something that came out of the ground then was modified. Instead, these oils are made in a Chemists Lab with SPECIFIC design characteristics in mind.
  • themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    The degradation of petro-based oils also includes the 'blow-by' past the rings of unspent (unburned) gases in the combustion chambers and on down into the crankcase. This thinner (but still hydrocarbon chain derivative) vapor, even when partially carbonized readily bonds to the petro-based oils and further reduces the overall quality of the oil. These oils are further reduced in their effectiveness since they contain a fair amount of natural sulfur compounds. However, some of the higher grades of oils have less of that elemental sulfur to begin with. These would be my petro-oils of choice - used to be anyway. The acidic effects of the sulfur mixing into acids that 'eat away' at aluminum blocks doesn't help any either. Of course the above-mentioned blow-by has an effect on any oil (& the filters), and is the primary reason I change mine at 3-4k intervals - even using synthetic based oils made of the non hydrocarbon based polyol esters, etc. I don't like dirty oil.
    Perhaps we have gone a bit beyond the scope of this forum... but, if we have educated even one person about motor oil characteristics, it was worth it.

In any case...
    I always enjoy a good technical discussion...

Are you familiar with the base used for Castrol Syntec synthetic oil? Is it also of non hydrocarbon based polyol esters like Mobil1? Have you noticed that Mobil1 has recently changed its formula to match Syntec's acid-neutralizing characteristics?
    I guess that's part of the 'Tri-Synthetic' badging that they're touting of late. But no, actually I hadn't noticed.

Nice info. update - as usual... :-)
  • spike50spike50 Member Posts: 481
    Many posts ago, I mentioned a "peculiarity" of my '00 that occurs every time I coast up to a stop while in gear. As the rpm's are dropping, at about 1,100 rpm's, the engine speed will increase by 100-200 rpm's for a split second and then continue to drop until I put in the clutch at which time the engine quickly stabilizes at 600 rpm's. This has occurred as long as I can remember. Currently have 4,300 miles on it. I have not had any operational problems with this truck. Its been flawless since day one.

The problem is not in the tach since you can feel the boost in rpm's and see its transient effect on the speedometer. If not in gear, the engine drops through the 1,100 zone so quickly that I can't see or hear if is happening. Any one else having this happen?
  • andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    Well hello all.

Firstly, apologies for the abrupt departure - I went away for a few days and wasn't planning anything more, then got bogged down with an unexpected business trip and forgotten jury service.

Anyway, I am now back, don't have time to catch up, but will try and get back up to speed asap.

I must take a moment to thank everyone who expressed concern over my abrupt departure.
    (spike50) I think you are experiencing a characteristic of the idle-speed-control.

I have experienced this on past vehicles (Honda and Nissan). The engine is actually turned off during decell. Then, at a specific RPM, the engine is turned on again and the idle-speed-contoller takes a moment to figure out what to do.
    This is a product of fuel-injection and economy programming in the ECU (EngineControlComputer)

Also keep in mind that 2000 is the VERY FIRST YEAR that this engine ever saw a manual xmission. Some of the built-in characteristics that work in tandem with the special 4Speed automatic seem odd when there is a direct connection to the drivetrain.
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Andy, I am happy to see you back in the fold. I'm sorry that I have never offered you my fool proof method of avoiding jury duty. When you enter the courtroom, grab the bailiff and the defense attorney and mutter; "That S.O.B. looks guilty to me, I hope that they really nail the B------!" Of course you do this while pointing to the judge. Works every time.

Bookitty
    Come to think of it, she (yes, she) did look a little suspect.

I think we should go back to the middle ages and the witch hunts. They used to test people to see whether they were witches by throeing them in a lake - if they floated they were witches and were subsequently killed. If they drowned then they weren't witches and were found innocent.

There seems to be a small flaw in that system, but I can't quite put my finger on it...... :-)
    Andy, your accurate description of the current North American Criminal Justice System contains no flaws whatsoever. Please do not sell yourself short.

Bookitty
    By 'jury service' (he's a canuck, remember) he's referring to the one that put him in the hoosgow down in the Bahamas. You know: by the 'service' (sentence in canuck) of the jury. If I recall the story correctly 'she' called herself the victim - well actually, she called herself 'Precious Pebbles' - but anyway, he's back and with a clean bill of health ;-) and ready to rumble... online.

Just don't tell anyone else, let's keep it our little secret. That's why I hid this comment - to keep it a secret. Shhh!
    Coz I got the negatives!
    Jack, Andy's secret is safe with me. My lips are sealed (as well as chapped). Hey everyone! Please don't open themacguy's hidden response. It is a secret that Andy does not want revealed. Thank you. Okay Jack, I took care of it.

Bookitty
    Jack, poor innocent, naive Andy does not realize that in a week or two after paying Precious for the "original" negatives, that another"duplicate" set will emerge. If you see a girl driving a Dakota with sled dogs in the rear seat, that will be Precious taking her "payment" for a spin.

Bookitty
  • slickwilliedjslickwilliedj Member Posts: 252
    i got a price from my local dealer $140.00 + install. kinda pricey for a light!although its cool i'll continue with a flashlight/and long ext from cig lighter in cab or look for after market piece.
  • knkresortknkresort Member Posts: 79
    I think Andy should update his member profile to include his latest status as a ex-con from the Bahamas. Do you think he has lowered the bar of Quad owners by his not-so-descreet behavior? Nah, he's still the same "old" guy we all know and love, even if he has a tatoo now that says "Mother" with a knife running through it....

KnK
  • xena1axena1a Member Posts: 286
    Thanks again for inquiring about my '00 Reg Cab
    Dakota. I've had it about 6 weeks now and just love the darn thing. I will say that I had forgotten what it was like to drive a "fun" truck. I find myself making excuses to drive it. I've got about 1600mi on it and am getting a solid 17MPG. I've allowed a handful of my fellow workers take it out for a spin and everyone really likes the 4.7L with the 5-speed. I haven't had the heart to take it off-road yet. Only some dirt roads so that I could get used to engaging 4HI and 4LO. I drive up to Colorado every summer for some 4 wheeling fun. However, I've already taken my trip this year with my previous truck ('99 Mazda B3000). So the real test will have to wait until next year. Drat!
    I have added some after market items that include window tinting (a must for Arizona), dashboard cover, seat covers, door sill covers, a rubber bed mat and bed extender. Today, I finally ordered a Roll-n-Lock. I should have it sometime this month.
    Let me know what you find out about the rear anti sway bar. I wonder why the T&H package for the RC omits this. I'd be very interested in this addition, if feasible. Sorry for the long post. But as you can tell, I'm enthusiastic about this truck. Distinctive exterior, great drive train, roomy and comfortable. The Dakota is real keeper!
    Thanks for the info on the rear anti-sway bar for the RC. Let me know if you make any purchase decisions on the matter...
    Tell me a little about your '91 5.2L. It's going on 10 years old now. How has it held up for you?
    Any major problems or gripes? How do you think the 4.7L compares to the 5.2L? Seems like you are in a position to express some worthwhile opinions on the subject, having owned both. Just curious. Thanks again...
  • mailman54mailman54 Member Posts: 111
    Xena1a: 91 5.2L has been pretty bullet proof! I have 106K on it now and it's still going strong. Haven't had a lick of trouble with the automatic transmission. 91 was the year before the magnum came out so the horsepower is down, but it runs well. Found the 3.55 gearing in the 91 to be a little bit of a problem in the mountains. Used the O/D lockout a lot when going up hills. I don't know about the longevity of the 4.7L, with only 6k so far, but the driveability is much better. The power comes on a lot quicker and winds out more than the 5.2L. I have the multi speed auto and like it fine, although I would probably have liked the 5-speed also. I really like the 3.92 gearing. It seems you are on the cam at all times! I really haven't noticed much of a sacrifice in mileage. I'm getting in the 17's with combined city and highway mileage. I suspect the magnum 5.2 V-8 that came out in 92 would compare more favorably with the 4.7.

Later,

Mailman
  • zonkzonk Member Posts: 208
    Slightly off topic, but the sticker on my wife's 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee says the car has an automatic locking differential, if I remember correctly. Can someone explain what that is? What,if any,connection is there to a limited slip diff? I'm not sure that there is one and lsd is not mentioned on the sticker, but that is the first time I remember seeing that particular designation on one of my vehicles. Just asking because I want lsd on my hope-to-buy-fairly-soon quad cab and now I am confused.
  • ohc_babyohc_baby Member Posts: 116
    Your wife's Grand Cherokee may or may not have a LSD. The diff mentioned on the sticker is the center diff, that engages when the Jeep needs torque to the front, hence the automatic locking. The front and rear may or may not be limited slip (likely they are). If you go to edmunds and price up a new or used GC, they are very in-depth about the options, and may explain more as to what was standard and optional equipment on her truck. Good luck, and DEFINITELY get the LSD on the Quad. They're worth their weight in gold.
  • kwanderikwanderi Member Posts: 33
    Wow, two other RC owners. I have just over 10K on my Amber Fire 00 RC, 4.7 Auto SLT +. I also got the HD cooling/charging, Tire & handleing pkg with the 3.55 LSD. This is the 3rd Dakota I've owned and by far the best. I just love the look of desperation in the eyes of those Mustang guys when they realize they just got whooped by a truck. I'm getting about 18.5 mpg combined driving.

So Xena1a, your in AZ? What part? I live out in the Buckeye area but work in Phoenix.

Keith
    I'm located in Tucson. I bought my '00 Dakota RC in Scottsdale at Chapman Dodge. It was the last '00 RC 4X4 left in the state. So, I got lucky when I found it in late July. Mine is a two-tone White and Driftwood. If the Amber Fire would have been available, I might have gotten it. I think it is a very distinctive color. However, the White is fine for our desert climate. I think you know what I mean! Most Dakota owners prefer the QC or CC models. But the RC works fine for my needs. In fact, I think they are a bit overlooked. They've got great proportions. Very distinctive. In fact, when I was ordering my Roll-n-Lock, the manager of the truck store did a double take when I showed him my Dakota. He had never seen an RC 4X4. I really like mine. Hope you have been happy with yours...
  • mailman54mailman54 Member Posts: 111
    Welcome to the RC owner's club Keith. I have a black 2wd 00 4.7L Sport with auto and the tire and handling package. I added the line-x spray in liner, fender flares and a matching black leer cap. This is my 2nd Dakota, in fact I still have the 1st, a 91 5.2L 2wd auto with 106k and climbing. I live out in Virginia, where I retired from the Army, but have lived out west in Arizona, California, Washington and Idaho. Glad to hear that there are more RCs out there. Keep on truckin!

Mailman
  • willywillwillywill Member Posts: 18
    Where do you live in buckeye???? I just moved to buckeye from IOWA.

Xena1a how much did you pay to have your windows tinted and what % are they?
    Thanks for the response.
    Sorry I took so long to answer your question. I was swamped yesterday...

I believe the two door windows have 18% tint (PT18) and the solid rear window has 38% tint (PT38). Materials were listed as $35 and labor $60. I got out of there for about $100. Yea, a bit pricy. But it sure looks nice, and man, does it help block out the sun and heat...
    IOWA? I just moved to AZ from MN the end of March, 1999. I just a bit east of Rainbow and Lower Buckeye Road. Where bouts are you located?

Speaking of tint, I had the sides done with 35% for about $75. This was the lifetime stuff, the best they had. My rear slider window came tinted from the factory.

Keith
  • kmennekmenne Member Posts: 15
    Did I see your quad at about 2Pm today on 696 heading into town (eastbound) around Farmington Hills?? I saw a white QC with fiberglass lid on box.. thought it might be you.
    Did I see your qc coming out of Madison Square Chrysler Wed pm about 5pm or so? Nice looking Bronze (I assume) truck.
    I got a recall letter from DC today saying there is a problem with the transmission vent hose. It's only the 45RFE, which is the multi-speed behind the 4.7 cause that's what I got. So all you 3.9/5.9 auto owners should not be affected.

"The problem is that the hose may be pinched shut. This may cause transmission fluid to be expelled through the filler tube, which could cause an underhood fire with the presence of an ignition source."

This is probably why some of us have transmission dip sticks that don't want to stay seated.

Anybody else with a 4.7/Auto get notified yet?

Keith
  • livnlrnlivnlrn Member Posts: 76
    I got a '00 Quad w. 4.7 and Auto 4x4. No notification, stopping by the dealer on Mon to have the AC checked, will ask about it then.
  • bigal31bigal31 Member Posts: 189
    Kwaderi was right.Got mine in the mail today its the same thing automatic tranny vent hose..And yes I have the 4.7L so you 3.9L and 5.9L owners are all right, unless for some reason you have the 45RFE Automatic Transmission.....I can hear you guys going through your papers now.
    Anyway Thursday at 3:00 PM. Then I can feel SAFE again..
    Whish me luck I wouldn't want to catch on fire before Thursday!!

Allen-
    Allen, I absolutely hate when that happens!

Bookitty
    The tach for my 2001 QC (4.7) doesn't have a redline, nor does the manual mention what redline is. Anyone have a clue? Thanks.
  • hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    my 4.7 auto has orange at 5500 then red at 6000 and maximum reading is 7000 but i hope to never see any of those :o).

hope that helps.

robert
    I got a recall yesterday :(

According to the notice "The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system on your behicle will not detect a catalyst failure as required by the Canadian emission standard"

The remedy requires the dealer to "reprogram your vehicle's Powertrain Control Module"

The really bad news is that this affects some 2000 model year Ram Vans / Wagons, Dakotas, Ram Pickups, Durangos, TJs (Wranglers in US), Cherokees and Grand Cherokees - so I'm guessing it is going to be a long wait to get it fixed.
    Andy, I have a great idea. Why don't you wait until you are once again incarcerated in the Bahamas. That way you can leave the truck at the dealership with the luxury of time on your side.

Bookitty
    As I have repeated many a time - innocent until caught!

Actually I managed to find a dealer near the office who will do it for me tomorrow - gotta love five star dealers. The dealer where I bought the truck went bust a couple of months later - I knew I got a good deal, but I didn't realize it was that good!!

Incidentally guys, I am starting to position myself for transport requirements when I move to the middle of nowhere next summer, so the Dakota may be sold in the next 6 months or so. Wifey keeps pointing out that we need a BIG truck for the dogs and she wants a second 4x4 (but honey the XJ-S is almost as practical). Current favorites are a GMC Sierra Crew Cab 3500 (Dodge don't make a crew cab 1 ton) and a Jeep TJ (Wrangler) for wifey. No definite decisions yet.
  • hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    dont go off and use all your wis dum hehehe on other trucks for other people, we like you here with us, dont go, dont go!!!!!!!

robert
    That's what camper shells are for (dogs)(or wifing units). BTW - I thought you already lived in the middle of nowhere (Stouffville). I sure had a $#@% of a time trying to find you last month. Anyway, you might as well look at the Avalanche - it's 'just' weird enough for you guys up there in the land of frozen white. Trade the XJS.

But don't sell the Quad. You (and we) will regret it. I'd probably inherit bookitty for this board thing, and we all know he's a cat - hatchoooo! - guy. And trucks are (still) dog 'things.'
    As Boo always says, "None of my best friends are dogs." Besides, Andy can't leave us. We have the negatives. Jack, I heard that Precious Pebbles was moving to "the middle of no where."

Bookitty
  • 96g1196g11 Member Posts: 88
    The 4.7L engine will not let you exceed redline. The computer is supposed to be programmed to cut fuel and ignition back if the engine reaches it's programmed max. rpm, sort of like a rev limiter on most motorcycles today.
    This is in theory! I wouldn't want to test it on my quad.
This discussion has been closed.