Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    @snakeweasel, I like all that you said about Kentucky and I would add a couple others; a visit to the cabin where Abraham Lincoln was born, a tour of the Makers Mark distillery and a visit to Fort Knox (kinda, the military does not want you hanging around too long).

And by the way, where is Bagdad, KY? A major tech company in Mass once used a local bank there to clear its checks to benefit from float--taking four to five days to clear the Federal Reserve System. I think that's no longer possible.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    bwai, we did visit Abe Lincolns birthplace, rather nice and peaceful, we toured several distilleries but not Makers Mark. The only interest I have with Fort Knox would be the Bullion Depository, but there is no way they will let us see that.

Looking at the map it looks like Bagdad, KY is about an hour east of Louisville.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,123

Mrs. Snakeweasel and I took a couple of days off and spent them in the beautiful state of Kentucky. We drove down I-65 TO Bowling Green (You may now start playing the Everly Brothers "Bowling Green" in your minds jukebox) and took back roads through central Kentucky back up to Louisville. We came back late last night, a few observations:

1.) I really like Kentucky, probably my favorite state.
    2.) I forgot how much I really like caves.
    3.) The BMW handled the back roads through the rolling Kentucky hills great.
    4.) On the Interstate we were in the mid 30's MPG maintaining a 80 MPH rate through flat Indiana.
    5.) Found a restaurant in the middle of nowhere Kentucky where it had no business being. Stopped in for breakfast and they had some great food. The gravy for the biscuits was superb.
    6.) Note to wife, take my wallet before letting me into the gift shop of any distillery.
    7.) To many distilleries, not enough time.
    8.) My drink cart is stocked for the next year.
    9.) Downtown Louisville on a Saturday night is like being nowhere at all.
    10.) After over a year of ownership my wife just discovered the subtle ambient lighting in the cabin of the BMW on a dark rural interstate in Northern Indiana.
    11.) The Nav system in the BMW kept mispronouncing "Chicago"
    12.) The nav system kept telling me "bear left", I don't care if the bear left and since it was so concerned about the bear why didn't it tell me when the bear returned?

We were visiting in suburban Louisville on Saturday. Our hosts also said Downtown is a ghost town.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    So the indie hardware store had a sale on leaf blowers, regular $30 for $20. Like to support them when possible.
    I make up a list of other items I can buy while I am there so they can make some money.
    I go inside, look around, can't find the pile of leaf blowers.
    I ask the store lady walking by and she says we sold out of them.....no offer of rain checks. I leave, forget about the other items, wasted enough time.
    I order one for $40 on Amazon.....delivered the next day, no running into store.
    Instructions are curious;
    CAUTION: Do not point discharge at self or bystander! Really, they think I am that stupid?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,358
    edited October 2020
    driver100 said:

So the indie hardware store had a sale on leaf blowers, regular $30 for $20. Like to support them when possible.
    I make up a list of other items I can buy while I am there so they can make some money.
    I ask the store lady walking by and she says we sold out of them.....no offer of rain checks. I leave, forget about the other items, wasted enough time.
    I order one for $40 on Amazon.....delivered the next day, no running into store.
    CAUTION: Do not point discharge at self or bystander! Really, they think I am that stupid?

Is that a rhetorical question?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550
    yes they do. Maybe not you personally, but people in general.

All those bizarre warning labels people make fun of on the internet? All there because some dope actually did what they now warn against (and likely sued and won)

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,923
    Yeah ... like the infamous McDonald’s coffee.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

driver100 said:

What was it that George Carling once say, Think about the stupidity of the average person then think that half the people are dumber than that? I once found a bag of peanuts that had the warning "Caution: may contain peanuts".

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,560
    driver100 said:

Don't feed the chipmunk.

At least you read my posts :)
    But, is he better off for doing so? :o

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

driver100 said:

What was it that George Carling once say, Think about the stupidity of the average person then think that half the people are dumber than that? I once found a bag of peanuts that had the warning "Caution: may contain peanuts".
    Are you sure that wasn’t the time you thought you bought that bag of acorns for the squirrels that ate your patio cushions? :o

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Are you sure that wasn’t the time you thought you bought that bag of acorns for the squirrels that ate your patio cushions? :o

jmonroe

I think my wife paid those squirrels to do that so she can buy new ones come spring.

edited October 2020

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe

I think my wife paid those squirrels to do that so she can buy new ones come spring.
    Sounds like the woman I live with.

driver100 said:

The 3 who criticize read and enjoy my posts....hmmm. Maybe you should subscribe to my podcasts?

driver100 said:

If he was looking for reassurances he came to the wrong site.

jmonroe

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    jmonroe1 said:

But, is he better off for doing so?

The reality is that I only read them when one of the people I enjoy responds to one. A considerable number of them don't fall into that category.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester

jmonroe1 said:

But, is he better off for doing so?

The reality is that I only read them when one of the people I enjoy responds to one. A considerable number of them don't fall into that category.

So what you’re saying is...if I don’t post to him, you’d have a lot more time for other things. :o

jmonroe

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    kyfdx said:

Mrs. Snakeweasel and I took a couple of days off and spent them in the beautiful state of Kentucky. We drove down I-65 TO Bowling Green (You may now start playing the Everly Brothers "Bowling Green" in your minds jukebox) and took back roads through central Kentucky back up to Louisville. We came back late last night, a few observations:

4.) On the Interstate we were in the mid 30's MPG maintaining a 80 MPH rate through flat Indiana.
    5.) Found a restaurant in the middle of nowhere Kentucky where it had no business being. Stopped in for breakfast and they had some great food. The gravy for the biscuits was superb.
    6.) Note to wife, take my wallet before letting me into the gift shop of any distillery.
    10.) After over a year of ownership my wife just discovered the subtle ambient lighting in the cabin of the BMW on a dark rural interstate in Northern Indiana.
    12.) The nav system kept telling me "bear left", I don't care if the bear left and since it was so concerned about the bear why didn't it tell me when the bear returned?

We were visiting in suburban Louisville on Saturday. Our hosts also said Downtown is a ghost town.
    The pandemic and the civil unrest have taken quite a toll on Downtown Louisville.

The distilleries are good reason to come back here a few times. The small sample size and the time it takes to get from one to the next will keep most people fit to drive.

What was the restaurant in question?
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 287
    Snake, glad you enjoyed your KY trip, we like it too. Woodford Reserve is a wonderful restoration of a really old facility and a great new visitor center. Not sure if you went there, but it is located near other distilleries and famous farms.
    jwm, no we didn't get there. There are to many to get to in the time we had, next time we go we will delegate more time for the water of life. However I do like their whiskey.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,669

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

ouch

I thought they had an app for that.

jmonroe

ronsteve said:

kyfdx said:

The pandemic and the civil unrest have taken quite a toll on Downtown Louisville.

The distilleries are good reason to come back here a few times. The small sample size and the time it takes to get from one to the next will keep most people fit to drive.

What was the restaurant in question?
    Thanks to Mayor McBikelane downtown Louisville is a smoldering dumpster fire- the Beirut of the Bluegrass. I am thankful that I no longer have any reason to go near the place.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    We drove through Louisville back in 2017 while driving home from Chicago and our son's wedding. We slept just south of town but got in too late to check out downtown. We were stopping in Nashville for a couple of days so decided to put Louisville on our short list for our next road trip. Once we both finally retire, plan to get out and see America as we have so much to see. Still need to get back to Chicago and do the things we couldn't do back in 2017. A cold front had come through, the first of the year, and there was so much rain, they shut down the boat tours of downtown for a few days. Really bummed about that and plan to do that first thing when we do return. My son put us in the River North area, they were in Lincoln Park, and he said there was more to do closer to downtown. And watching episodes of Windy City Rehab have really whetted my appetite to see the real Chicago.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Mrs. Snakeweasel and I took a couple of days off and spent them in the beautiful state of Kentucky. We drove down I-65 TO Bowling Green (You may now start playing the Everly Brothers "Bowling Green" in your minds jukebox)

Sounds like a nice way to spend the day, and get the 428i out for a run. :)

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited October 2020
    We had a little rain a few days ago. My wipers started doing an @abacomike, and were singing a light chatter.

The AC Delco beam wiper blades had taken a set in one direction from being parked at the bottom of the windshield always pulled down. I try to push them the other way when I think of it, but the hot sun since the car is parked facing sun in the driveway when it's outside.

Shopped wipers. Liked the RainX Latitude 2 in 1 Water Repellency at Walmart. Checked RainX site to see how they snapped onto my J-hook type arms. Some of the various models don't clearly say how they work on the package. This blade has a cumbersome multi-type attachment that works for maybe 6 different wiper latch on types.

I put them on the next day during a continual rain. The package says to run them on a clean dry windshield for 2 to 3 minutes to activate the RainX water repellent. I did that. For the first trip there was a little smearing as the water was wiped away. Normally I would have cleaned windshield with Dawn dish detergent for that.

But these wipers are quiet! With a capital "Q." They clear the droplets caused by the water repellent on the glass and completely dry the area with the swipe.

I say they're better than the AC Delco which is likely made by one of the major manufacturers of wipers. Are these silicone rubber? Is that the difference.

I hope they last a year to cover the high cost, $14.97. Until the AC Delco's I've used for 3 years, I bought inexpensive Walmart wipers and replaced every 6 months.

I have learned my earlier opinion on RainX loaded blades were not likely good was wrong.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I have learned my earlier opinion on RainX loaded blades were not likely good was wrong.

Glad the RainX worked well, and seems to have solved the problem. The best part is you said you were mistaken the first time and found they are good....that makes your finding even more valid and the info is more useful.

My tennis mentor showed me a way to serve one morning. He emailed me that evening and said forget what I taught you....pros can do that but normal people can't do that.....he apologized for trying to get me to do something that I would never be able to do. I said, that makes the info even more valuable, you tested it out first, and that led us to the right path to try.

Mistakes can be a good thing....you learn and they lead you to the right way.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,094
    I can no longer live with the large and clunky-looking universal attachment used on aftermarket blades.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,985
    I hate that look too. I noticed the dealer replaced the oem wipers before they offered my Accord for sale with clunky aftermarkets.
    The wiper inserts had just been replaced with oem by me recently. I found the oems worked better than any aftermarket I've tried. Oh well, looks awful. New owner is probably pleased...it has new wipers! Little do they know.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

for years on the Honda and Acura I just bough the rubber inserts from the dealer and kept the arms in place. worked fine.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    stickguy said:

ouch

I know a guy in Tijuana that'll fix that for less than 4 figures. :smile:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    You all know where I stand on the sinister intents and biases presumed by me when I see a study ignore fatalities per mile driven in favor of some cherry-picked ratio like population if it suits their purposes.

But.... and this is a BIG but, what do you all think of this one:

https://www.acsh.org/news/2018/08/10/most-dangerous-drivers-ranked-state-age-race-and-sex-13300
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    well, other than being male, I came out great on this!

NJ at the lowest rate group. Interesting.

edited October 2020
    stickguy said:

well, other than being male, I came out great on this!

NJ at the lowest rate group. Interesting.

Me too. I must skew the results because of my superior driving skills. :p Around me all I see on the roads are idiots.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I have realized that when you drive less, you notice about bad other people drive more. I think it is just so shocking when you aren't used to seeing it. But there are a lot of lunatics out on the road these days.

edited October 2020
    stickguy said:

I have realized that when you drive less, you notice about bad other people drive more. I think it is just so shocking when you aren't used to seeing it. But there are a lot of lunatics out on the road these days.

Thank goodness for FAST TRAK lanes on Interstate 15 for 75% of my daily commute to work. They divide 2 lanes from the rest of the world so if there are 7 lanes total, you only have to deal with, at most, 2/7ths of the lunatics, and it's actually less than that, since FAST TRAK passes cost money if you don't have a carpool going on (2 or more passengers including the driver). I feel very safe between concrete walls driving very fast as the concrete walls are my shields.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited October 2020
    andres3 said:

stickguy said:

Thank goodness for FAST TRAK lanes on Interstate 15 for 75% of my daily commute to work. They divide 2 lanes from the rest of the world so if there are 7 lanes total, you only have to deal with, at most, 2/7ths of the lunatics, and it's actually less than that, since FAST TRAK passes cost money if you don't have a carpool going on (2 or more passengers including the driver). I feel very safe between concrete walls driving very fast as the concrete walls are my shields.
    Or some others might feel safer because the lunatics are confined to the two lanes?

Police have publicized that they have been aware of and are policing for the people who speed far above the 85%ile during the flu spread. I have seen over the last many weeks that they are policing in areas where the high speeders are most prone to being caught and policing in ways to trap them.

I've commented that many speeding cars seem to be Chargers and Challengers with other makes thrown in--at least here in the eastern Midwest.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,945
    andres3 said:

You all know where I stand on the sinister intents and biases presumed by me when I see a study ignore fatalities per mile driven in favor of some cherry-picked ratio like population if it suits their purposes.

But.... and this is a BIG but, what do you all think of this one:

https://www.acsh.org/news/2018/08/10/most-dangerous-drivers-ranked-state-age-race-and-sex-13300

My issue is that they are using fatalities to state “safeness” of the driver. That’s seriously flawed. Let me see all “at fault” accidents.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

andres3 said:

stickguy said:

Or some others might feel safer because the lunatics are confined to the two lanes?

Police have publicized that they have been aware of and are policing for the people who speed far above the 85%ile during the flu spread. I have seen over the last many weeks that they are policing in areas where the high speeders are most prone to being caught and policing in ways to trap them.

I've commented that many speeding cars seem to be Chargers and Challengers with other makes thrown in--at least here in the eastern Midwest.
    No doubt, in talking to fellow speeders, we all noticed the disappearance of speed related revenue generation the first few weeks of COVID, then someone in power saw the bottom drop out of the incoming revenue streams, and IMMEDIATELY ordered all hands on deck for speed enforcement, Corona Virus or not! It's a tale of two entirely different worlds.
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    edited October 2020
    Here in Louisville, the lack of traffic and enforcement during the shutdown back in the spring was taken by many as a license to drive at ludicrous speed. And even after traffic picked back up with the reopening (albeit not to pre-COVID levels) there are still a significant portion of drivers well above posted speed limits. I'd say the 85th percentile speed became more like 60th percentile... And that makes for some nasty closing speeds.

But still, I had to really channel my inner andres3 to even draw the attention of a cop once. Fortunately I stopped channeling him when the officer came to my window. Ended up with a verbal warning when I could have easily ended up with multiple citations.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    stickguy said:

Now that a lot of people are going back to work or school or wherever they are going they are driving wilder and crazier than ever. Maybe they have covid fatigue and have to let off steam driving like they are in a racing car.

I saw a couple of videos on youtube (probably on VinWiki, some interesting stories on there) about cannonball record attempt runs during early days of Covid restrictions, and how much easier it was. Even leaving NYC, they used to do it at something like 2AM to not get jammed in traffic, but in April could leave at 5:00 PM and zip right out the tunnel. And in the wide open spaces, there was just nobody out there.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,168
    Seattle area was a ghost town in mid-late March, 405 in Bellevue at 5pm during that time was wide open, like 3am traffic. Nowadays it is back to several mile backups on many days, which seems odd to me given the huge amount of WFH people in the area.
    Update on my friend’s Camaro 1LE:
    1. The motor will be replaced under warranty because it wasn’t tuned.
    2. His words: “It happened right as I did a no-lift shift 4-5.”

so he overrevved it and Chevy covered it anyway?

watched an interesting youtube clip yesterday (no clue what channel, some random guy) that was taking a Porsche 996 for a PPI. Interesting to see the level of detail the shop (Porsche experts) went into, and what they knew to look at. Anyway, the interesting part was when they fired up the scan software, and it listed every instance of out of range driving (over red line, and by how many RPMs) the car ever did. Not hiding any secrets there.

stickguy said:

so he overrevved it and Chevy covered it anyway?

watched an interesting youtube clip yesterday (no clue what channel, some random guy) that was taking a Porsche 996 for a PPI. Interesting to see the level of detail the shop (Porsche experts) went into, and what they knew to look at. Anyway, the interesting part was when they fired up the scan software, and it listed every instance of out of range driving (over red line, and by how many RPMs) the car ever did. Not hiding any secrets there.

I’d like to see that on EVERY car. I bet you’d find that even grandma’s Florida car led a wild life too.

Shouldn’t be able to over-rev anything these days. Computer must have a rev limiter.

tjc78 said:

Shouldn’t be able to over-rev anything these days. Computer must have a rev limiter.

You can force an over-rev by down-shifting.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

tjc78 said:

True, but he said 4-5 so the rev-limiter should work in that case I believe.

tjc78 said:

kyfdx said:

tjc78 said:

True, but he said 4-5 so the rev-limiter should work in that case I believe.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator