Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    LOL

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    stickguy said:

so he overrevved it and Chevy covered it anyway?

watched an interesting youtube clip yesterday (no clue what channel, some random guy) that was taking a Porsche 996 for a PPI. Interesting to see the level of detail the shop (Porsche experts) went into, and what they knew to look at. Anyway, the interesting part was when they fired up the scan software, and it listed every instance of out of range driving (over red line, and by how many RPMs) the car ever did. Not hiding any secrets there.

It was not an over-rev, the car is designed to allow a no-lift shift.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

I’d like to see that on EVERY car. I bet you’d find that even grandma’s Florida car led a wild life too.

Several years ago one of BMW NA's M managers told me about a 5 speed E36 M3 that had been flat-bedded into a dealership. The car's owner said he was simply driving down the interstate at 65 mph when the car "just died". Unfortunately for the owner(and his wallet), the DME had recorded a final engine speed of over 9000 rpm- a true "money shift". The owner's previous car was an Oldsmobile, BTW...

In a related story Mitsubishi would void the warranty on an Evo if the dr hit the rev limiter too many times- even if the redline rpm was never exceeded.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

Update on my friend’s Camaro 1LE:
    1. The motor will be replaced under warranty because it wasn’t tuned.
    2. His words: “It happened right as I did a no-lift shift 4-5.”

So when he gets the motor replaced by the chevy dealer, he's going to trade it in for a...?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936

I’d like to see that on EVERY car. I bet you’d find that even grandma’s Florida car led a wild life too.

Several years ago one of BMW NA's M managers told me about a 5 speed E36 M3 that had been flat-bedded into a dealership. The car's owner said he was simply driving down the interstate at 65 mph when the car "just died". Unfortunately for the owner(and his wallet), the DME had recorded a final engine speed of over 9000 rpm- a true "money shift". The owner's previous car was an Oldsmobile, BTW...

In a related story Mitsubishi would void the warranty on an Evo if the dr hit the rev limiter too many times- even if the redline rpm was never exceeded.
    So the rev limiter was set below the redline? Nice

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,437
    sounds like 3rd instead of 5th in that case. Unless Chevy makes junky engines.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    edited October 2020
    tjc78 said:

kyfdx said:

tjc78 said:

Shouldn’t be able to over-rev anything these days. Computer must have a rev limiter.

You can force an over-rev by down-shifting.
    True, but he said 4-5 so the rev-limiter should work in that case I believe.
    there is only so much electronics can do. Think of it this way ... you are accelerating and the engine is straining against the transmission, driveline, tires, and physics to move you faster and faster ... you get up to 7k RPMs, then suddenly relieve the engine of that strain while keeping the fuel dumping in ... the engine can't HELP but over-rev. That's just momentum at work there.

I see RB's reply. If Chevy claims it can do it ... well then they'd better cover it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Good explanation Q, I wasn't thinking about it that way.

Owner is fortunate that GM stepped up and warrantied it.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,199
    @qbrozen

the engine can't HELP but over-rev. That's just momentum at work there.

Yes

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    tjc78 said:

He should thank the tax payers for the bailouts of 2008 and 2009. Replacing engines is money better spent IMO than on private jets.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    Just a perpetual ray of sunshine ☀️ on here.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118
    I remember bouncing into the rev-limiter on my sisters '84 RX-7 - not much power, but it sure loved to find the redline.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    I seem to remember that Nissan could tell by GPS where the launch control was used in the GTR.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,465
    kyfdx said:

@qbrozen

the engine can't HELP but over-rev. That's just momentum at work there.

Yes

Momentum is a very fickle part of physics. When I taught my sons how to drive in snow I said, “momentum can be your best friend or your worst enemy. It’s up to you to decide how you want to use it on snow covered roads”.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    edited October 2020
    I remember reading a story about Nissan using a "launch control" counter to deny warranties on GTR's. I wonder if a tuner has invented a "resetter" for those electronic/computer counters.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    tjc78 said:

Shouldn’t be able to over-rev anything these days. Computer must have a rev limiter.

That’s what I thought but the drag racers among us educated me about the “money shift”.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Let’s hear it for the new-fangled automatics! Lol!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Update on my friend’s Camaro 1LE:
    1. The motor will be replaced under warranty because it wasn’t tuned.
    2. His words: “It happened right as I did a no-lift shift 4-5.”

The upgrade I did on the Mustang included a no-lift shift upgrade for manual transmissions. If I had that feature I think I’d be afraid to use it on anything other than an old beater I didn’t care about.

Hearing your motor grenade must be the worst sound you could ever hear.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited October 2020
    Michaell said:

I remember bouncing into the rev-limiter on my sisters '84 RX-7 - not much power, but it sure loved to find the redline.

I bounced the Eclipse off the limiter a few times. I always chicken out on the Mustang because it’s going too fast before I reach 7200 rpms.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118

Michaell said:

I bounced the Eclipse off the limiter a few times. I always chicken out on the Mustang because it’s going too fast before I reach 7200 rpms.
    The test drive I took in the Mustang GT stick shift was pretty scary - it gathers speed very, very quickly.

And, I've had supercars over 100MPH on a track, before, so it's not that I'm a wimp about speed...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Michaell said:

You need to find yourself a longer straight stretch of smooth empty roadway.
    edited October 2020
    andres3 said:

Michaell said:

With a trooper behind every bush? There ain’t no such thing around here. I guess it’s the tickets that really scare me.

andres3 said:

Michaell said:

With a trooper behind every bush? There ain’t no such thing around here. I guess it’s the tickets that really scare me.
    And insurance rate hikes ain’t no fun either.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    andres3 said:

Michaell said:

Long straight smooth highway? sounds awfully boring.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Michaell said:

Michaell said:

The test drive I took in the Mustang GT stick shift was pretty scary - it gathers speed very, very quickly.

And, I've had supercars over 100MPH on a track, before, so it's not that I'm a wimp about speed...
    One of the reasons I LOVE driving my Prelude. For the most part, I can keep the speed reasonable and still have fun doing it. I think a BRZ or Toyota FR86 would make a great daily driver. People who have them LOVE them, but people who just read specs and reviews think they are too slow & underpowered.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I agree about those 2 cars. I just recall sitting in them at the car show or dealer, and not being able to get comfortable. Though maybe I should try again. Not that they have gotten particularly cheap.

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

One of the reasons I LOVE driving my Prelude. For the most part, I can keep the speed reasonable and still have fun doing it. I think a BRZ or Toyota FR86 would make a great daily driver. People who have them LOVE them, but people who just read specs and reviews think they are too slow & underpowered.
    I've always said that getting up to speed is one thing, maintaining it is another. Especially if the road isn't flat and straight.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    tjc78 said:

It was a really good explanation.
    Dumb question, but has GM actually examined the car to cover it, or are they just taking the guys word for it that that is what happened?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

driver100 said:

tjc78 said:

It was a really good explanation.
    Dumb question, but has GM actually examined the car to cover it, or are they just taking the guys word for it that that is what happened?
    Do you read what you write? Do you think, for even a micro second, that GM or any manufacturer would make good on any claim, especially an engine replacement without verifying what happened?

jmonroe

No, I would never read what I wrote.....that's why I write it, once is enough!

I read he took the car to the friendly Camaro dealer and GM said they would put in a new motor under warranty. I didn't hear if they actually examined the car before they said that. If they didn't, then they might take it apart and find something when they actually figure out what really happened.

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

I totally get that. A few times, people's reaction to me saying my A3 only came with ONLY 200 horses from the factory was "that's it???." Of course, that was a 2006 model and was super fun to drive. In 2020 I would not want less than 200 HP in any vehicle. A GTI is my bottom HP limit. I have a threshold for a momentum car and that is my line in the sand. I have to at least be competitive with V6 Camry's at stoplights.

andres3 said:

Michaell said:

I agree. Once is really enough for testing a top speed limiters function before your warranty is out, or at least that's the excuse I recited in my head in case I got pulled over. :smile::open_mouth:

I prefer preserving my gas wastage for hard acceleration at lower speeds, rather than blasting through the air at speeds well north of 100 MPH.
    andres3 said:

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

I totally get that. A few times, people's reaction to me saying my A3 only came with ONLY 200 horses from the factory was "that's it???." Of course, that was a 2006 model and was super fun to drive. In 2020 I would not want less than 200 HP in any vehicle. A GTI is my bottom HP limit. I have a threshold for a momentum car and that is my line in the sand. I have to at least be competitive with V6 Camry's at stoplights.
    well, my bike can get a jump on most cars at a light, because people are too busy looking at their phones to notice the light changed. Plus, I don't see a lot of Camrys peeling out when the light changes anyway.

driver100 said:

I read he took the car to the friendly Camaro dealer and GM said they would put in a new motor under warranty. I didn't hear if they actually examined the car before they said that. If they didn't, then they might take it apart and find something when they actually figure out what really happened.

Once more, last time. If the dealer and or GM said they are replacing the engine, somebody looked at it. Nobody does engine replacements without a look see.

jmonroe
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Once more, last time. If the dealer and or GM said they are replacing the engine, somebody looked at it. Nobody does engine replacements without a look see.

jmonroe
    I have heard of companies saying we will repair your....whatever under the warranty. Then when they actually look inside they find they can blame it on the user. That is kind of what happened with the infamous Audi A4 clutch experience I had. It looked like it would be a warranty repair, until they found they could pin it on the driver as a burned out clutch when Mrs D has driven many cars for many miles and never burned out a clutch.

totally agree on this one. They can easily say "sure, if what you say happened happened, you are covered." Then they open it up and find sawdust used for lubricant and .... SOL.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

The worst test drive I was even on was in a new Prelude. This guy managed to scare the living bejeeses out of me. For those who may not know late model Preludes are incredibly FAST! He blew down the freeway, tailgated people and was in idiot. I finally made him take an off ramp and literally screamed at him to pull over the "blanking" car! He did and I told him "GET OUT". I planned to leave him standing there in the dark alongside the road but he seemed to know this and made sure he got in before I could lock the door. We drove back to the store in silence. Whe we got on the lot I once again told him GET OUT! He did without a word and got back in his car and drove off. I was shaking for an hour. We all learned that test drives were the worst part of our jobs. I kept people that I didn't trust on a short leash. Newcomers to our country were the worst!
    andres3 said:

andres3 said:

Michaell said:

I agree. Once is really enough for testing a top speed limiters function before your warranty is out, or at least that's the excuse I recited in my head in case I got pulled over. :smile::open_mouth:

I prefer preserving my gas wastage for hard acceleration at lower speeds, rather than blasting through the air at speeds well north of 100 MPH.
    Hard acceleration at low speeds is rather boring too. Any fool can floor a gas pedal and go in a straight line. The skill and fun and skill is taking the curves and straightening them out while not leaving your lane.

stickguy said:

andres3 said:

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

well, my bike can get a jump on most cars at a light, because people are too busy looking at their phones to notice the light changed. Plus, I don't see a lot of Camrys peeling out when the light changes anyway.
    One day for grits and shins we drove around timing traffic 0-40 coming off of stop lights. It typically took 20 seconds or more to get to 40 MPH.

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

The worst test drive I was even on was in a new Prelude. This guy managed to scare the living bejeeses out of me. For those who may not know late model Preludes are incredibly FAST! He blew down the freeway, tailgated people and was in idiot. I finally made him take an off ramp and literally screamed at him to pull over the "blanking" car! He did and I told him "GET OUT". I planned to leave him standing there in the dark alongside the road but he seemed to know this and made sure he got in before I could lock the door. We drove back to the store in silence. Whe we got on the lot I once again told him GET OUT! He did without a word and got back in his car and drove off. I was shaking for an hour. We all learned that test drives were the worst part of our jobs. I kept people that I didn't trust on a short leash. Newcomers to our country were the worst!
    I’m always very respectful on a test drive. I open it up a little but nothing crazy.

Last year before I bought the Volvo, I tested an Infiniti Q50. Salesman saw I was being a bit calm and encouraged me to get it on it. Naturally I had to comply !

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224
    ab348 said:

Just a perpetual ray of sunshine ☀️ on here.

He can’t see the sun when his head is up his ... oh never mind
    I drive VERY hard on test drives, but I warn the salesperson before each maneuver. They usually then say “go right ahead.” And often thank me for the fun when we get back. Several times I’ve gotten “I didn’t know this car could do THAT!”

edited October 2020

andres3 said:

andres3 said:

Michaell said:

Hard acceleration at low speeds is rather boring too. Any fool can floor a gas pedal and go in a straight line. The skill and fun and skill is taking the curves and straightening them out while not leaving your lane.
    There's a lot of You Tube video of people in Mustangs that couldn't manage straight line acceleration. So what is lower and dumber than a fool?

I do agree the twisties are more fun! Turns separate the men from the boys. Turns are what made me respect the 350Z when previously I didn't have much respect (I was in the Alltrack though; I want a rematch in my TTS).
    I try to keep it semi-tame on test drives, but in the TTS I had to scare the salesman a bit. My pre-custom-ordered S4 got a test drive you might expect from a 90 year old man, but that's because I was "breaking it in" and it was "mine to buy." The TTS.... wasn't so sure I was buying, until I drove it like I stole it. Ended up buying it.
    well, that's true. I won't thrash a new car that much if I'm still in shopping mode. That would be rude.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited October 2020
    Haven't been following here for a few days. Anyone hear from our friend @graphicguy? Hoping that no news is good news...
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224
    He was upright a day or so ago. Seemed in good spirits
    edited October 2020
    tjc78 said:

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

I’m always very respectful on a test drive. I open it up a little but nothing crazy.

Last year before I bought the Volvo, I tested an Infiniti Q50. Salesman saw I was being a bit calm and encouraged me to get it on it. Naturally I had to comply !
    When I test drove a standard shift Mustang I couldn’t get past 3rd gear without exceeding the speed limit. The salesman encouraged me to go hog wild even to the point of telling me he’d pay for any speeding tickets.

BTW, the Q50 3.0L turbo is a rocket.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    My new Allstate auto insurance policy took effect yesterday. I noted that there are two additional ways to reduce my premiums every 6 months - by inserting a data device into my car's diagnostic socket or by using a smart phone APP that measures data using GPS as well as the phone's operation while driving. I turned down the first one which is a "plug-in" device but I did opt for the "Drivewise" APP within the Allstate mobile APP.

This APP, which monitors my driving time, driving speed, sudden braking, use of phone for incoming or outgoing calls during my trips, and time of day that I take each trip, is used by the insurance company to reduce my premium by as much as 8% in the form of cash-back to me - which is significant ($90.00 - $100.00). I get a discount for opting into the program as well. Initially, I felt a bit like "big brother watching my every driving move" but, interestingly enough, opting into this program has improved the way in which I drive every day.

I am not a speeder and I keep enough distance between me and the car(s) in front of me so I can safely stop without slamming on the brakes. I drive in the mornings and early afternoons and rarely drive in the evenings or nights which is a plus according to the insurance company. Prior to signing up for this program, I did frequently use Bluetooth for my phone calls while driving, however now I just let the phone ring unless the incoming phone call is from a contact that I need to speak with, which is very rare. I can always return calls if they leave a message.

As for my speed - I used to drive within 5 mph of the speed limit on the Turnpike and I-95, but now I make sure I do not exceed the speed limit. By observing the above more carefully, I can reduce my insurance by close to $200 per year, which is significant. Coupled with the $750 per year savings I am now receiving for my Condo insurance, that's a savings of $950 per year over my previous insurance for both Condo and Auto. Definitely a good decision to go with the changes in my insurance policies. :)

2021 Genesis G90

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Not sure how I'd feel about plugging in hardware issued by an untouchable corporate monolith into my complex electronic car - I've laughed at the thought of those big brother devices thus far, savings be darned.