Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Owners - Meet the Members

Comments

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Please take a look at Owner's Club Changes to offer your opinion.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

If you've noticed that the discussion list looks really weird...I know. It will be repaired shortly, but we need to investigate first why it happened. Everything should be working okay...so just ignore that woman behind the curtain. :-)

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • ibhottubnibhottubn Member Posts: 29
    THANKS JIM,

THIS QUAD IS VERY MUCH BETTER THAN MY OLD CLUB CAB, I'M HAVING ALOT OF FUN WITH THIS ONE !!1

TOM !!!
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Karen, what woman? How did I miss a woman, even one behind a screen? Is it old age, too much time on the Internet, or perhaps a combination? So, just who is this mysterious lady and where is she hiding?

Bookitty
  • spike50spike50 Member Posts: 481
    May be I'm missing the joke but its a line out the Wizard of Oz. Been a long day.
    Some of you will notice that your messages from yesterday no longer exist. There was a major hiccup in the system last evening. Edmunds.com apologizes sincerely for the difficulties this situation poses. Please rest assured that every effort is being expended to rectify this matter as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • towmantowman Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2001 Dakota extended cab. Does anyone know how to turn off the automatic door locks? The doors autoatically lock after tuck is doing more than fifteen miles per hour. I would like to be able to turn it off.

Towman
  • skylerkskylerk Member Posts: 67
    Jeff, follow the instructions on pages 13-14 of your 2001 Dakota owner's manual.

If those don't work, then look at the back cover of your owner's manual and see which edition you have. If you have the First Edition (or maybe the Second Edition), then see Dakota FAQ #79 for my description of how to correct the errors in the owner's manual:
    skylerk "Dodge Dakota Owners - FAQs" Mar 27, 2001 1:43am

While you're looking at the FAQs, scroll up and down to see the other First Edition owner's manual corrections that I have posted.

I've been told that the Third Edition owner's manual is correct, but I haven't personally verified that.
  • towmantowman Member Posts: 8
    Thank you! I didn't notice the previous post. I will give this a try this evening.

Jeff
  • abaltabalt Member Posts: 4
    Greetings to all from Pearl River County, Mississippi:

After finally getting my '01 DQC, I can "come out" of the closet, hold my head up high, and say, "I GOT ONE!!!". So far after 1st tank of gas, I'm in love. Not one complaint (except for speed limits), even got 17.2 mpg, can't help but put my foot in it every chance I get, so I was surprised at the mpg's. The specs:

2001 Black Quad Cab Dakota with:

4.7;
    Sport Plus;
    5-Speed;
    LSD;
    4-Wheel Anti-Lock;
    Deluxe Convenience Group;
    HD Service Group;
    Power Convenience Group;
    Security Alarm;
    Rear Slide Window;
    Tow group;
    Cloth Buckets;

Added:
    Rhino Liner;
    Mopar Fender Flares;
    Westin Black Step Bars (on the way);
    Westin Black Sportsman Grill (also on the way);
    Ventvisors front doors only;

Now if someone would help me get the keys from my wife.........
  • nortx01qcnortx01qc Member Posts: 37
    The joys of the new quad!! just not enough time in the day to enjoy the open road.

Is this what your quad looks like?

http://www.geocities.com/nortxqc01/MyBlkQuad.htm

Coming up on 6K miles. No (real) problems with the truck. runs GREAT and getting around 18mpg (mix city/hiway).

Can't help get your keys back but your dealer would gladly sell you another quad for her.

• abaltabalt Member Posts: 4
    Thats what it looks like. Actually, I had your first pic as wallpaper for about 5 weeks till the truck got here. I did have to add the flares after.

Good looking truck!!
  • ethuressonethuresson Member Posts: 55
    I'm going to have to check my o/h computer, 'cause it tells me I'm averaging about 14.5 mpg on the 4th tank, and I take it pretty easy (will stomp if need be, but why suck up the petro?). This is about 50/50 city highway driving on pretty flat land. I'm going to do some manual calculations over the next few weeks. I can't see the mileage numbers you guys are getting.

This is a 4.7 4x4 loaded (but no towing stuff) and part time 4wd. 01.

I want 18 avg mpg!!!
  • skylerkskylerk Member Posts: 67
    Hey nortx01qc, I was looking at your web page and noticed that you have a question at the bottom about the "weak Homelink signal". Have you tried following my tips in Dakota FAQ #54?
    skylerk "Dodge Dakota Owners - FAQs" Nov 14, 2000 8:32am
    After I put a new battery in my handheld remote and then reprogrammed my Homelink system in my Dakota, my Homelink range increased from 30 feet to about 150 feet. Good luck!
  • nortx01qcnortx01qc Member Posts: 37
    Skylerk - I did see your posting about programing the homelink (didn't you also resolve the 'horn on lock' for us?).

I have two problems!
    #1 Now that I know there is a fix, I'll quit whining and will fix it someday.
    #2 I need to update that web page. I have added the Line-x over the rails. Even have a new page with more photos made. All I have to do is up load it. Do I sound lazy or what?

Ethuresson - I think I might be able to help with your mpg. This truck likes to show its stuff. You need to 'stomp it' very often! Then on those few occasions when you do take it easy, your truck will have learned that it doesn't need to use a lot of gas all the time. Try it. You will and your truck will enjoy it!
  • ethuressonethuresson Member Posts: 55
    I can give that a shot, but somehow I don't get it. The throttle position sensor sends fuel to the motor depending on the position of the accelerator, right? Light pedal=light fuel delivery and mashed pedal=heavy fuel delivery. Period....right? Not as familiar yet with this engine as I should be, but hey, only one month of ownership.

Not overly concerned about the mileage, I knew what I was buying, but I certainly want the most efficiency possible.
    This week's topic:

My vehicle is better than yours because....

Brag about your ride on Tuesday, May 8, 5-6pm PT/8-9pm ET in the new News & Views Weekly Chat

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

• dragonhawkdragonhawk Member Posts: 26
    Finally! After more than a year of quadwaiting in Korea, we returned to the states last week and immediately took delivery of our QC. Here are the gory details:

Personal Stuff: My name is Dwight, Army officer, wife and two sons. Hometown Marquette, Mich; but will live in Carlisle PA for the next year.

Quad Stuff: Silver 01 Sport Plus 4x4. 4.7L V-8, 5-Sp, 3.92, LSD, Skid Plates, HD Svc, Eng Blk Htr, Sliding Rear Window, CD/Cass/Eq. No power windows, locks etc. Purchased for Invoice minus rebates ($21.9k) at John Ryan, Inc in Green Bay Wis; I'm very happy with them and with the truck (600 miles so far). Also have RollnLock and Bed Rug that I got from "Sport Truck Solutions"--also a good source.
    Dwight, sounds like a beautiful truck. Winter has just become more managable in Carlisle as well as in the UP. Welcome back, good luck and enjoy your truck.

Bookitty
  • spike50spike50 Member Posts: 481
    dragonhawk - I was wondering where you got to. Congrats on the QC. Now that you're back in Carlisle, you'll be hearing about those kids at the import car shows. Have to admit that I was at the last one with my two sons just to look. My oldest told me to stop looking so much as the "show" girls struck some provocative poses on car hoods for pics. Anyway that and some other things lead the kids to block off Rt. 11, pouring the bleach all over the road to videotape burn-outs.

Maybe we'll be seeing each other. I'm in Dauphin Co. Mine is the Light Driftwood (silver-ish).
  • rascalrascal Member Posts: 26
    Hi Friends,

I have been reading some posts and am now the proud owner of a 98 Dakota SLT Club Cab, 5.2, LSD,
    black, 2wd.
    This truck was purchased new by my brother-in-law who passed away on May 18. This truck was very special to him and my sister gave me the truck to keep it in the family, yes, it is quite a gift. He lived in Houston, Texas and this weekend, I drove it to my home here in the Atlanta area. It cruises effortlessly and has so much power to spare. Ron, my bro, was a helluva man, and left four kids behind and a grieving widow. I will keep this truck for a very long time. He was not a "car guy" per se, but always took it in when something was not right.
    The truck also has a bed liner and a hard, locking bed cover.
    I plan to make some modifications shortly. I am making up my own K&N filter to replace the paper element and I will be taking off the huge clutch fan and installing an electric fan. I also just ordered Edelbrock shocks all around to smooth out the squishy feel of the ride.
    I did have on minor hiccup on the drive from Houston...I hit a bump, (not severe), on an interstate and the ABS and BRAKE light came on, and then a few seconds later, went off...sounds like maybe a loose sensor at one of the wheels? Let me know if anyone has had this sort of problem, I appreciate any good advice and information.
    I am a 48 year old male, live near Stone Mountain, GA, married, 4 grown kids, I am semi-retired and work at home. I was a Harley mechanic for many years and enjoy doing most of my own work on my cars.
    Thanks for your time, I look forward to participating in this board and getting to know all of better.
    Rascal
    Folks...today's events are horrendous, and we probably haven't heard the last of it. My prayers for the safety of you, your loved ones, and for us all.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    This has to be THE most horrible event in America's history.
    I live in the central eastern part of Nj and NY city is a few miles away. This event hit way too close to home for me.
    I had just turned on the news that morning and saw the first tower burning, and the second jet slammed into the second tower as I watched live. I am still in shock.
    Today I finally went out of the house and drove around the neighborhood. I have never seen so many American flags displayed before. Our house displays one as well.

Our enemy are a fanatical group without a centralized government or country.

Keep your eyes and ears open, and help out as best you can.

God bless us all.
  • ahasherahasher Member Posts: 236
    bobs5, I AM PROUD I am retired military and my current job directly supports the military, so it can go do the job that it will soon be called to do.
    It will be difficult, but they have "awoken the sleeping giant'..

GOD BLESS AMERICA
  • bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    Check out the new "EVENTS" discussion.
    KarenS "Dodge Dakota Owners: Events" Sep 24, 2001 8:16am
    What are the most important factors in your car-buying decisions? The Chicago Tribune is looking for a ranking of concerns such as safety, price, monthly payment, styling, quality, etc.

Please send your response to jfallon@edmunds.com, or post in Talk to the Press.

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    My family and I will be traveling a few hundred miles to my birthplace this year, so I may not be checking in as frequently. Plus, when I do get to my parent's farm, I'll be trying to coax a few bass and channel cat onto a hook. Got my stinkbait packed and Dad promises to warm up some nightcrawlers. My son and I are praying for the temp to stay above 45 for a few more days. Hopefully, we will have a fish fry come Thursday.

For those who may be traveling this week, have a safe trip! For those who are mutilating a turkey at home, be sure to take the innards bag out BEFORE you roast the turkey. :-) May you and your families enjoy the comfort of many blessings. And my thanks to all of you for being one of the best clubs in the Town Hall.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    Gee Karen, and I thought that potato salad was your biggie. Thanks for your wishes, and may you and yours have a safe and wonderful holiday. I always remove the innards, it's those darn feathers that ruined the taste. Regards.

Bookitty
    I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Fishing was great...except for me. :-( Son and husband caught several meals worth, while I caught only anchovy size. Son caught the biggest bass (2 lbs.), and husband pulled in the biggest channel cat (4 1/2 lbs.). Oh well...not catching anything means I didn't have to clean anything either.

Last week there were some server problems on the site, which may cause a continuing problem with your browser. So far this seems to primarily affect Internet Explorer, but there have been a couple of complaints concerning Netscape also. To fix this, you need to open your computer's cookies file and delete all cookies that contain "edmunds". If you've been using auto-login, you will need to log in manually and re-set it.

Sorry for all the inconvenience!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • jl130661jl130661 Member Posts: 6
    i need extreme protection. anyone tried husky or catch-all floormats? or duragear seatcovers? any other brand recomendations?
  • fourgivn1fourgivn1 Member Posts: 13
    Hope everyone has a great Xmas. I'm fairly new to this board. I just bought an '02 Dakota. I REALLY wanted a 4.7 (what guy wouldn't?) but in my specific case, time is definitely of the essence, and considering that I only want a larger engine for more ease in passing in traffic (and even the 3.9L V6 can handle that much :) I went with the '02 Dakota SXT, Patriot Blue, 2WD extended cab. I'm gloating a whole lot right now because I not only got my truck BELOW invoice ($100 below) but I am paying NO interest on a 3 year loan, AND I got a bedliner out of them. I'm usually fairly humble but I'm bragging all I can :)

By the way, God Bless America! I'm currently enlisted in the Navy (and have been for 8 years) and while I've always been proud of it, there's no feeling like Vietnam and WWII war vets coming up to ME and thanking ME for MY service. Although I have to say that I have a problem with participants of an actual war thanking ME for my service. It should be the other way around.
    A major newspaper is looking to interview folks who learned how to drive stick in their adulthood, and either fell in love or hated it. Also welcome is any input on why people love to drive stick, and any unusual anecdotes about how you learned etc.

Hope to hear from you before Feb 22 via Town Hall/Talk to the Press or at jfallon@edmunds.com with your thoughts and contact information.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

• bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    Learned to drive a stick in ADULTHOOD??....just exactly what does this mean?... let me re-phrase the question to show you what I mean

What about those of us that learned to drive a stick as a child? ;-)
    Hey, I don't phrase the questions...I just pass them along. ;-)

And what about those of us who were driving tractors and grain trucks by the age of 12???? Well...maybe bean, wheat, and corn field driving doesn't count.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    Last week, Edmunds rolled out new pricing pages. Along with this is a new "consumer ratings & reviews". This functionality lives in the "consumer opinions" area of the new vehicle detail page, and allows users to rate a vehicle on a number of different criteria (1 to 10 scale), as well as add his/her own free-form comments.

If you have some time, we would really appreciate Town Hall members writing a review of their current auto, or a favorite make/model. It takes approximately a week for your review to appear on that make/model.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • headlinesmanheadlinesman Member Posts: 1
    I am curious as to the extent of the problem that I am facing with my '99 Dakota. Everytime I go out onto the interstate and accelerate to between 63-65 mph the yellow abs and red brake warning lights come on. They remain on for the duration of the trip or until I turn off the ignition. Upon starting up the truck, everything checks out okay and the lights have gone out. I asked the dealer about this and he said that my brake fluid is low, checked the fluid, it's okay. Do I have abs at lower speeds, I don't feel any pulsating in the pedal when I stop hard? Also, what is the difference in speed got to do with the warning lights being on or off? I'm not the best at comprehending the mechanics of abs braking.... Please help.
    Robert, there is something wrong within your braking system. Whether it is worn brake lining, low fluid, and/or an electronic glitch, something is not right. I would ask another dealer once it has been ascertained that the fluid level is correct and the pads are okay. Hopefully, someone on the forum may have a viable explanation. But I do know that this is definitely not normal.

Bookitty
    Just 2 quick questions; Why does the Dakota have only the 3.9 6-banger listed on the model page and on the consumer review vehicle choice drop-down list? Also why does it only cover Model Years 2001 and 2002. Does this mean us 2000 7.7 V8 QC owners are not included? :-) ...
    that was either wishful thinking or a typo on the 7.7 vs 4.7 refrence. sorry 'bout that.
    You're more than welcome to write a review on your 2000! Click on "Used" to get to that year's make/model. In your review, you can comment on the 4.7 V8 engine, if you like. :-)

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
    but 2000 makes it definetly USED.... I was apparently somewhere between coffee cup no. 1 and 2 this AM .. thanks for the reminder ;-) I'll check it out shortly
  • tazkotatazkota Member Posts: 5
    Hey All!! Just bought an '02 QC SLT 4x4, 4.7L, HD Tow Pkg, Rhino Liner Spray-In. I will say that this site and all your helped make the choice easy. I knew what they were priced at and what to expect as far as future probs. The scary part is that this is the "small" Dodge in our family. My wife has a '99 3/4 ton diesel she uses to haul her horses all over Colorado. (we live about 35 mi SE of Denver). As big as the 'Kota is it still looks small next to hers.
    Please take a moment and read Letter from the Town Hall Manager.

The Town Hall will be looking quite different soon, but we hope you will find the changes beneficial. Your subscriptions should not be affected by this change. I'm sure there will be a discussion in News & Views created to address your questions. Once it is available, I will let you know.

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
    Looks like tomorrow is the big day! Post your comments in Town Hall Redesign 2002: Tell Us Your Thoughts.

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • bracketmbracketm Member Posts: 1
    I live in Detroit and want to find a newer Dakota with a 5 speed to test drive. None of the dealers have one and none are too interested in finding me one. Currently driving a Ranger with a 5 speed and just want to check out the Dakota before ordering one.
    If anyone can help me I would appreciate it! Thanks
    Mike
  • enfurioenfurio Member Posts: 33
    Mike,

I had the same problem when I ordered my 02 last summer. I ended up ordering the stick w/the 4.7L based solely on research and opinions from this site and a couple of others. I am very pleased with the manual configuration and you probably would be too. The last stick I owned was a VW GTI and obviously the Dakota is very different, but it is waaayyy better than most of the trucks I have driven with manuals. There is also a Hurst shifter kit available for this transmission that is supposed to reduce the throws and tighten up the pattern even more.
    I live in Madison Hgts. so I may be close enough to show you my truck. E-mail me if you want at mniezur@comcast.net.
    If anyone is thinking about shopping for the holidays and just don't know what to get that special person who has everything, I have a suggestion! Edmunds.com Strategies for Smart Car Buyers is now available to purchase!!! Get one for all your family, friends, and don't forget one for yourself.

I received my copy the other day and it is a pretty slick publication. I wonder what the reaction the dealers may have if I bring it along as a reference during my next vehicle purchase?
    ;-)

Please share any comments and observations in the Edmunds.com's New Book: Strategies for Smart Car Buyers discussion in News & Views.
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    My final deal when all was said and done: Invoice-holdback+ approx. 300 including sales tax, all financed at 4.9 through Chrysler. OR to compare apples to apples, after rebates and trade but before tax or financing factored in, I was at invoice-2 grand or over 4700 below sticker.

My truck: 04 Dakota Quad Cab Sport Plus, 4x4, 4.7, 5 speed auto, 26c with power windows and locks, cruise, tilt steering wheel, sliding rear window, 60/40 split bench, and 245/70 tires. All wrapped in the new Atlantic Blue. Couldn't find 03s near me like I wanted and I know if the 05 is restyled same as the 04 Durango Id hate it so I figured it was time to stop talking constantly about a new truck and go in on the last of the month and just do the deal.

Oh my god I still can't believe when Im driving this truck how far trucks have come since my little rwd reg cab 95 Ranger was built. IT handles as tight as any car I've ever been in and the acceleration is UNBELIEVABLE for a 4thousand pound plus 4x4. Pulling off the lot I gave it the same kind of gas I normally have to give on my little 4-banger Ranger to get up to traffic speed and before I knew it I had gone from being at a stand still to moving FASTER than the approaching cars as I merged in.

Interior is very quiet and comfortable. Everything feels tight and well engineered. Only criticism is one side of bumper sits a couple inches lower than the other, but I have not yet decided if it's annoying enough for me to let the dealer mess with it.

On the radio: CAn't believe Dodge would put a radio in a 2004 truck without a scan function.

Back seats: VERY spacious. On a 3 hour drive to DC my Mom was able to sleep comfortably. She absolutely fell in love with big blue when I first pulled into her driveway. Her first reaction: "We have to go on a road trip. NOW."

Mileage: I can live with it. About the same range as my 4 cylinder Ranger but maybe 10 bucks more for a fillup at current prices. If I was trading from a Civic it would be a shock but having already been accustomed to paying over 20 bucks a tank, it wasn't as big of a leap.

First tank was 16 almost all highway. Second tank was still around 16 but this time with lots of around town and stop and go mixed in. Working on the third tank now. Im thinking once break-in is done if I can learn to restrict my juvenile instinct to make full use of all that power I could be averaging 17-18, which would be absolutely fine by me. Hehehe... from 11 miles on the clock to almost 900 in a week. I gotta find something to do that will make me not want to be out driving my truck constantly. OTherwise at this rate it'll be run into the ground in three years.
  • silverbulletsilverbullet Member Posts: 2
    I just want to say Hello to all from LA
    I just recently sign up here and is nice to have you here.
    DAK, welcome to the fold. There is a plethora of great information exchanged here. There are some bright and handy folks here to help you, should you need it.

Bookitty
This discussion has been closed.