Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    The discount isn’t that much. I used it just long enough to get the credit and I think it was in the $15 range. Only get a% of the liability portion, not comp or collision.

It also didn’t check speed limit, just had to keep it below 80 I think. Plus, you can go in and delete certain trips if you want.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    I don’t do the big brother thing for insurance. The only thing that should be influencing my decisions in a given moment is what is going on around me.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    edited October 2020
    My 10-yr-old, with no prompting from me, has seen those commercials and said "so you have to drive really slow, like a blind old lady, when you have that? No thank you."

Speaking of commercials, I'm rather surprised automakers continue to make these "hey, if you drive like an idiot, we've got the car for you!" commercials. Latest one to 'grind my gears' is the Hyundai commercial where the [non-permissible content removed] is eating fries with 2 hands while passing a big rig on the highway and the car prevents him from side-swiping the massive moving obstacle right next to him. WTH?! You know what I'd love to see? A bicycle commercial that starts like that and states "you belong on a bicycle, not commanding a 2-ton bullet, here's your new Huffy!"

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    abacomike said:

My new Allstate auto insurance policy took effect yesterday. I noted that there are two additional ways to reduce my premiums every 6 months - by inserting a data device into my car's diagnostic socket or by using a smart phone APP that measures data using GPS as well as the phone's operation while driving. I turned down the first one which is a "plug-in" device but I did opt for the "Drivewise" APP within the Allstate mobile APP.

This APP, which monitors my driving time, driving speed, sudden braking, use of phone for incoming or outgoing calls during my trips, and time of day that I take each trip, is used by the insurance company to reduce my premium by as much as 8% in the form of cash-back to me - which is significant ($90.00 - $100.00). I get a discount for opting into the program as well. Initially, I felt a bit like "big brother watching my every driving move" but, interestingly enough, opting into this program has improved the way in which I drive every day.

I am not a speeder and I keep enough distance between me and the car(s) in front of me so I can safely stop without slamming on the brakes. I drive in the mornings and early afternoons and rarely drive in the evenings or nights which is a plus according to the insurance company. Prior to signing up for this program, I did frequently use Bluetooth for my phone calls while driving, however now I just let the phone ring unless the incoming phone call is from a contact that I need to speak with, which is very rare. I can always return calls if they leave a message.

As for my speed - I used to drive within 5 mph of the speed limit on the Turnpike and I-95, but now I make sure I do not exceed the speed limit. By observing the above more carefully, I can reduce my insurance by close to $200 per year, which is significant. Coupled with the $750 per year savings I am now receiving for my Condo insurance, that's a savings of $950 per year over my previous insurance for both Condo and Auto. Definitely a good decision to go with the changes in my insurance policies. :)

So now when a dog runs out in front of your car you'll be tempted to just run it over rather than slam the brakes and risk losing your "discounts" that are really just pre-paid and overpaid up front so they are giving you your own money back.

Not a fan.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

I don’t do the big brother thing for insurance. The only thing that should be influencing my decisions in a given moment is what is going on around me.

On this we are 100% in total agreement. :):DB)

Not the first dumb thing Insurance has done in their gloried history.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    abacomike said:

My new Allstate auto insurance policy took effect yesterday. I noted that there are two additional ways to reduce my premiums every 6 months - by inserting a data device into my car's diagnostic socket or by using a smart phone APP that measures data using GPS as well as the phone's operation while driving. I turned down the first one which is a "plug-in" device but I did opt for the "Drivewise" APP within the Allstate mobile APP.

This APP, which monitors my driving time, driving speed, sudden braking, use of phone for incoming or outgoing calls during my trips, and time of day that I take each trip, is used by the insurance company to reduce my premium by as much as 8% in the form of cash-back to me - which is significant ($90.00 - $100.00). I get a discount for opting into the program as well. Initially, I felt a bit like "big brother watching my every driving move" but, interestingly enough, opting into this program has improved the way in which I drive every day.

I am not a speeder and I keep enough distance between me and the car(s) in front of me so I can safely stop without slamming on the brakes. I drive in the mornings and early afternoons and rarely drive in the evenings or nights which is a plus according to the insurance company. Prior to signing up for this program, I did frequently use Bluetooth for my phone calls while driving, however now I just let the phone ring unless the incoming phone call is from a contact that I need to speak with, which is very rare. I can always return calls if they leave a message.

As for my speed - I used to drive within 5 mph of the speed limit on the Turnpike and I-95, but now I make sure I do not exceed the speed limit. By observing the above more carefully, I can reduce my insurance by close to $200 per year, which is significant. Coupled with the $750 per year savings I am now receiving for my Condo insurance, that's a savings of $950 per year over my previous insurance for both Condo and Auto. Definitely a good decision to go with the changes in my insurance policies. :)

I almost bit on that “big brother” device. I thought that particularly for the two cars that sit in storage for winter it would be fun to see what conclusions they would draw on a car doing zero miles per hour for months. I think the thing that killed the deal was a requirement for electronic withdrawal from my checking account. I’m a bit paranoid about that.

Does the device or app track your location too? I wouldn’t like that. I wonder what they’d say if I told them my phone can’t download apps.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

andres3 said:

abacomike said:

So now when a dog runs out in front of your car you'll be tempted to just run it over rather than slam the brakes and risk losing your "discounts" that are really just pre-paid and overpaid up front so they are giving you your own money back.

Not a fan.
    There’s a commercial where a woman is doing all sorts of behavior so as to not “mess with my discounts” including telling her husband to drive slow while in labor going to the hospital.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    My mom has the State Farm app BS on her car. I hate driving it for fear I’ll get her in trouble lol.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Edit to say... it’s just another reason to hate her RAV4.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    My son in law used one of those devices for a while, but they ended up always driving my daughter's car instead, so he ended up giving it up.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    I didn't accept the discount feature for the reasons Andre stated. What if a kid runs out on the road and I have to slam on the brakes? You could be a very safe driver and it could work against you.
    The insurance company claims your insurance can only come down in price.....not be raised, I don't trust them, they can always raise rates the next year if they don't like the report.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

tjc78 said:

My mom has the State Farm app BS on her car. I hate driving it for fear I’ll get her in trouble lol.

Is it the dongle or the app? App runs off her phone so wouldn’t apply to you.

qbrozen said:

My 10-yr-old, with no prompting from me, has seen those commercials and said "so you have to drive really slow, like a blind old lady, when you have that? No thank you."

Speaking of commercials, I'm rather surprised automakers continue to make these "hey, if you drive like an idiot, we've got the car for you!" commercials. Latest one to 'grind my gears' is the Hyundai commercial where the [non-permissible content removed] is eating fries with 2 hands while passing a big rig on the highway and the car prevents him from side-swiping the massive moving obstacle right next to him. WTH?! You know what I'd love to see? A bicycle commercial that starts like that and states "you belong on a bicycle, not commanding a 2-ton bullet, here's your new Huffy!"

Are you kidding me? Since when is ... s .. ch ... muck ... a bad word that requires censoring??

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

Is it the dongle or the app? App runs off her phone so wouldn’t apply to you.
    There is a little square box on her dashboard. I think it syncs to her phone and then uploads the data

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

Are you kidding me? Since when is ... s .. ch ... muck ... a bad word that requires censoring??
    11:43AM
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    edited October 2020
    qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

Is it worse than calling someone a Fredo?

Bonus points when the word malarkey is used during a debate.
    Never go against the family Dick Van [non-permissible content removed].
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    andres3 said:

abacomike said:

Not a fan.
    The insurance companies are looking at trends not rarely occurring instances. So if today a dog runs out in front of you and you slam on your brakes and two months from now someone makes a left turn in front of you and you slam on your brakes it won't affect your discounts. But if you slam on your brakes 5 times a day every day it will.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

My guess is it was about a year ago when a early snowstorm brought down my [non-permissible content removed] willow tree.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

andres3 said:

abacomike said:

Not a fan.
    The insurance companies are looking at trends not rarely occurring instances. So if today a dog runs out in front of you and you slam on your brakes and two months from now someone makes a left turn in front of you and you slam on your brakes it won't affect your discounts. But if you slam on your brakes 5 times a day every day it will.
    Except the automatic feedback I get from my Volt (not tied to discounts) has me hard braking about 3 times a day, which I don’t do. That experience taught me to avoid those discounts because the accuracy is not very trustworthy.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    suydam said:

andres3 said:

abacomike said:

Not a fan.
    Except the automatic feedback I get from my Volt (not tied to discounts) has me hard braking about 3 times a day, which I don’t do. That experience taught me to avoid those discounts because the accuracy is not very trustworthy.
    I had one of those for our insurance and I don't think it ever recorded a hard brake or a heavy acceleration.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

I remember bouncing into the rev-limiter on my sisters '84 RX-7 - not much power, but it sure loved to find the redline.

I bounced the Eclipse off the limiter a few times. I always chicken out on the Mustang because it’s going too fast before I reach 7200 rpms.
    The test drive I took in the Mustang GT stick shift was pretty scary - it gathers speed very, very quickly.

And, I've had supercars over 100MPH on a track, before, so it's not that I'm a wimp about speed...
    One of the reasons I LOVE driving my Prelude. For the most part, I can keep the speed reasonable and still have fun doing it. I think a BRZ or Toyota FR86 would make a great daily driver. People who have them LOVE them, but people who just read specs and reviews think they are too slow & underpowered.
    The worst test drive I was even on was in a new Prelude. This guy managed to scare the living bejeeses out of me. For those who may not know late model Preludes are incredibly FAST! He blew down the freeway, tailgated people and was in idiot. I finally made him take an off ramp and literally screamed at him to pull over the "blanking" car! He did and I told him "GET OUT". I planned to leave him standing there in the dark alongside the road but he seemed to know this and made sure he got in before I could lock the door. We drove back to the store in silence. Whe we got on the lot I once again told him GET OUT! He did without a word and got back in his car and drove off. I was shaking for an hour. We all learned that test drives were the worst part of our jobs. I kept people that I didn't trust on a short leash. Newcomers to our country were the worst!
    I can tell more on a test drive by driving 0-30 or 30-50 MPH than I can from gassing it on an entrance ramp up to 80 MPH. My test drives are quite tame. I am a “Toucher”...meaning I try to touch everything I can find on a new car to see if it has any “play” and what all the materials feel like. Today, that’s probably not a good thing.

Haven’t done a transport in a few weeks, but when I delivered a car, I would get the chance to touch everything because I wiped it down with disinfectant when I got in, and again, when I delivered it.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    I agree with GG about needing that experience with the car. Plenty of info online about performance numbers, so you already know how fast it is. No real need to prove it!

No need to test 0-60, 1/4 mi, or how it holds driving in a steady circle, I agree. But how it actually handles at 8/10ths through a left-right transition or how it leans or puts power down out of a corner are not things easily assessed from a review of stat tables. A big one for me is playing with the transmission through various hard-driving scenarios to see how it responds.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    I remember looking at a 1991 Mustang LX 5.0 automatic. I floored it at around 10 mph and it was totally underwhelming. I then looked but couldn't find a used manual- but a few months later I did find my beloved E24 M6...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited October 2020
    When I was working at BMW I had a client who was looking at a CPO F30 335i manual we had. The salesman sat in the back(he couldn't drive a stick) while I drove it to a less populated area where the customer could drive it with no traffic congestion to deal with. On the way I took a 90 degree right-hander at about double the advisory speed. The client was impressed but the salesman wasn't belted in and he slid across the back seat and hit the left door with a resounding thump. The client ended up not buying the 335i; she decided instead to buy a new 340i M Sport with three pedals.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

stickguy said:

I agree with GG about needing that experience with the car. Plenty of info online about performance numbers, so you already know how fast it is. No real need to prove it!

I don’t know about that. Sometimes the feel of the car is important regardless of the published numbers. One reason I always like Mitsubishi engines in a car is that they have a satisfying torque curve that makes them seem faster off the line than the numbers would suggest. Same with certain GM pushrod engines. They just “feel” right.

stickguy said:

I don’t know about that. Sometimes the feel of the car is important regardless of the published numbers. One reason I always like Mitsubishi engines in a car is that they have a satisfying torque curve that makes them seem faster off the line than the numbers would suggest. Same with certain GM pushrod engines. They just “feel” right.

True, car 'A' may be faster to 60 MPH than car 'B' but car 'B' may be faster to 30 or 40 MPH than car 'A'. Or faster from 30 to 50 MPH and so on. The published numbers only give a partial view on the numbers.

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    andres3 said:

qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

Is it worse than calling someone a Fredo?

Bonus points when the word malarkey is used during a debate.
    Ah come on man !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

A manual F30 340 with track package is very high on my want list.

I found a 440i coupe with THP but it's an automatic.

I need the 4 doors for the kiddo (or the suicide doors on the i3 are fine). Maybe when he’s out of a car seat...

I like manuals and think they're fun but the traffic I often find myself in makes a manual a torture device. Hence I opt for automatics. Now when I retire I might get a manual but for now I'll stay away from them.

As for performance i am fine with the performance of my cars. I dont need to get to the next stop light 5 seconds sooner.

I like manuals and think they're fun but the traffic I often find myself in makes a manual a torture device. Hence I opt for automatics. Now when I retire I might get a manual but for now I'll stay away from them.

As for performance i am fine with the performance of my cars. I dont need to get to the next stop light 5 seconds sooner.
    You don't want to shave .5 seconds off your 0 to 60 mph take off speed?
    We had manuals for awhile in early retirement. Nowadays they are harder to find. I don't think I would opt for one in retirement these days, too much chance of an inoperative arm, hand, foot, leg, sore neck, sore back, etc., even if just temporary. Not too many chances to enjoy a manual on city streets or crowded highways.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271
    carnaught said:

Haven't been following here for a few days. Anyone hear from our friend @graphicguy? Hoping that no news is good news...

He was up (no longer prone) on the 19th.

I was actually looking at that 440i; I already decided that I'd have to install the M Performance Power and Sound Kit from the get-go...

Here's the 440i.

And here's the MPPSK.

I was actually looking at that 440i; I already decided that I'd have to install the M Performance Power and Sound Kit from the get-go...

Here's the 440i.

And here's the MPPSK.

Nice looking car, however I'm not a big fan of that red interior.

I like the interior, although I could do without the redon the lower dash.

I love that color combo.

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194

stickguy said:

GM pushrods always seemed to have a lot of their throttle response where you first get into it, while other cars respond more gradually. Some of them really gradually, because of overly intrusive traction control (Volvos with the 6-cylinder turbo, anyone?) Different amounts of TC slip make a difference as well... in normal driving 4-cylinder Outback doesn't feel as slow as you expect it to. Just don't look to have any fun driving it harder.

About 10 years ago I drove my office's Ford F-150 (I think it had the smallest of the Triton V8s) and it felt really strong right off the line, but was a total dog once you got to about 20 mph.

I'm with OF, need to put the car through at least a little bit of how you might drive it!
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    I wonder what this means?

https://www.radio.com/wbt/news/national/hertz-to-shut-down-car-sales-locations-nationwide

They mention selling 180,000 cars (they sold them to Enterprise) but I’ve also read that they borrowed an extra $billion to buy new cars. Seems a funny way to come out of bankruptcy.

sounds like they ran out of units they were allowed to sell. Hertz is really quite the mess.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Meet the 2021 Genesis GV80. It may not carry the price tag of a Bentley Bentayga but the interior design and sophistication of the GV80 is equal to or surpasses the Bentayga. Enjoy!

Hertz made news on the stock market last Friday with a record sale of over 1 billion shares. The stock price soared 143%, according to closing reports.

Record sale of worthless stock...still actively trading? :open_mouth:
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2020
    bwia said:

Meet the 2021 Genesis GV80. It may not carry the price tag of a Bentley Bentayga but the interior design and sophistication of the GV80 is equal to or surpasses the Bentayga. Enjoy!

I don’t like those pop-up screens like the one shown above on the new Genesis. It is not recessed to avoid sunlight distortion. It is also very small.

I noticed that they did away with the gear selector in the console making more room for console storage, much like Mercedes and many other makes and models. Everything is electronic when it comes to gear selection anyway.

My best friend is interested in replacing his 2008 Infinity M35X with a G80 lease. I will go with him when he is ready. But I know he won’t like the narrow height on the GPS screen.

2021 Genesis G90

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543
    stickguy said:

I love that color combo.

Looks like “old mans gray” to me. :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,789
    omarman said:

Hertz made news on the stock market last Friday with a record sale of over 1 billion shares. The stock price soared 143%, according to closing reports.

Record sale of worthless stock...still actively trading? :open_mouth:

You need a Robinhood account! :D

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

I love that color combo.

Looks like “old mans gray” to me. :'(

jmonroe

You are the expert knowing about that! :D

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited October 2020
    abacomike said:

bwia said:

I don’t like those pop-up screens like the one shown above on the new Genesis. It is not recessed to avoid sunlight distortion. It is also very small.

I noticed that they did away with the gear selector in the console making more room for console storage, much like Mercedes and many other makes and models. Everything is electronic when it comes to gear selection anyway.

My best friend is interested in replacing his 2008 Infinity M35X with a G80 lease. I will go with him when he is ready. But I know he won’t like the narrow height on the GPS screen.
    You may be right but according to C&D, "at a time when many carmakers are replacing switches and buttons with vast touch-sensitive black panels, Genesis uses silver-tone knurled knobs and select physical buttons with white accents, creating a light, bright space. The large rotary dial that controls the infotainment system lives in the center console and clicks with satisfying precision as it turns." The collage bellow shows an example of this. Enjoy!