Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,784
    andres3 said:

On the latest Audi FOB, no need for hiring the "man" or any tools to do the job, all it takes is fingers, which is finally in 2020 a good design. I remember older keys being more difficult.

That's not to bad, to be honest. I think I typically need to change the battery on my Q7's fob around once every six months. I think that is annoyingly often, since the units for my wife's Forester are still original, as far as I know. We bought that car within a few months of the Q7, around 3.5 years ago, and haven't touched the batteries at this point.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,784
    tifighter said:
    That's okay, but how about this instead? :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    Was a 15K or so car all day long 20 years ago. 113s have cooled a little now, especially non-280SLs.
    tifighter said:
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,964
    My daughter has the DVD, I can relate!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,637
    tifighter said:
    I like the stance on that one.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,923
    fintail said:

Was a 15K or so car all day long 20 years ago. 113s have cooled a little now, especially non-280SLs.

tifighter said:
    The owner of the first company I worked for after graduating college in the mid 80's had a Pagoda (don't remember the model). A year or two after I started, he traded it in for a 560 SEL (vanity plate "TH BEAZT")

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,342

My 3.5 yo son is obsessed with both Frozen and Frozen II. I've instituted a once-every-two-week viewing restriction because I simply cannot take it anymore.

Fortunately my son tended to mirror my taste. The kids media he liked were mostly tolerable like Winnie the Pooh and Thomas the Tank Engine. By around 3-4 he was watching Star Trek: First Contact, Power Rangers Turbo, ,my Heisei era Godzilla bootlegs and Gamera: Guardian of the Universe.
    He watched First Contact a lot.; one day when he was almost 5 we were standing in the checkout line at a local grocery store and he says in a loud voice, "You know what Dad? I think today is a good day to die!" The cashier didn't say a word the whole time we were checking out...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

xwesx said:

andres3 said:

On the latest Audi FOB, no need for hiring the "man" or any tools to do the job, all it takes is fingers, which is finally in 2020 a good design. I remember older keys being more difficult.

That's not to bad, to be honest. I think I typically need to change the battery on my Q7's fob around once every six months. I think that is annoyingly often, since the units for my wife's Forester are still original, as far as I know. We bought that car within a few months of the Q7, around 3.5 years ago, and haven't touched the batteries at this point.
    The fob for my M235i triggered a "Low Remote Battery" message for the first time just last week. Not bad for longevity- and a simple DIY fix.
    The battery in my Club Sport's lighted key is still going strong at 25 years.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257

Is that one that recharges when the key is in the ignition (like the E39 and E46)?
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382

My 3.5 yo son is obsessed with both Frozen and Frozen II. I've instituted a once-every-two-week viewing restriction because I simply cannot take it anymore.

Fortunately my son tended to mirror my taste. The kids media he liked were mostly tolerable like Winnie the Pooh and Thomas the Tank Engine. By around 3-4 he was watching Star Trek: First Contact, Power Rangers Turbo, ,my Heisei era Godzilla bootlegs and Gamera: Guardian of the Universe.
    He watched First Contact a lot.; one day when he was almost 5 we were standing in the checkout line at a local grocery store and he says in a loud voice, "You know what Dad? I think today is a good day to die!" The cashier didn't say a word the whole time we were checking out...

Lol. I don’t watch a ton of TV or movies anymore except after he goes to bed. We do watch Wheeler Dealers together - he likes watching Ant take apart and reassemble engines.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,371
    Clicking around while sitting on a conference call...

2020 MB GLB $47,2XX msrp. 36/10 lease $617 with 4k down. That’s laughably bad.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,927
    My wife would love this color combo, but the history is so bad I just can't do it.
    https://uniquemotorsms.com/newandusedcars?clearall=1&vin=WBAWR33558P150422

I'm trying to understand how carfax can report "minor accident" and the result is 3 sides of damage, a tow, and a mechanical issue. The number of owners is the real kicker.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

MB published leases are often horrible. You have to find a dealer offering something special, or play hardball like with any other purchase.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    au1994 said:

Popular vehicle. Pretty typical quote for a $47K MSRP. No incentives

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,492
    That is a pretty BMW.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

xwesx said:

andres3 said:

The fob for my M235i triggered a "Low Remote Battery" message for the first time just last week. Not bad for longevity- and a simple DIY fix.
    I'm pretty sure modern cars with the always on-demand keyless entry sensing is what is draining the batteries so fast. Have to say I like the feature though. Amazon sells "basics" brand batteries, but I avoided those as I'd rather pay more for a longer lasting battery. Memories of "Radio Shack" batteries that were cheap but had only a half life came to mind.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,709
    The Wiggles were pretty big when my boys were toddlers, so that was a popular play in our house (and we went to see them in concert 3 times). And Disney/Pixar's Cars came out around that time too, so that was constantly on, and we collected all the related die-cast Cars toys for awhile. It's very nostalgic for me when we visit Disneyland/California Adventure and are at the "Cars Land" section. The boys to this day still love it.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

My son texted me about the 2022 Genesis Gv70 sport. That is a seriously sharp looking unit. Might be a good replacement for his G70.

They really need to figure out how to get more dealers up and running though.

Especially as our elected leaders/grifters have failed to proceed with stimulus on par with other developed nations (relative to GDP) while the economy is still sickly at best, indeed the money is just laying around :'(
    tifighter said:

The Fed printed trillions this year. So, actually, yes there are people with piles of money just laying around, as it happens.

You know, for the price of a new GTI, this would be a cool and comfortable fun car...

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/824812003/overview/

Since Audi never put the 6-speed manual in the current gen S4 and S5, it's easy to forget they did include it as an option on the A4 and A5 for 2017 and 2018.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,371
    kyfdx said:

au1994 said:

Popular vehicle. Pretty typical quote for a $47K MSRP. No incentives
    I didn’t realize they were so popular. I like the kinda old school square look they have.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

breld said:

You know, for the price of a new GTI, this would be a cool and comfortable fun car...

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/824812003/overview/

Since Audi never put the 6-speed manual in the current gen S4 and S5, it's easy to forget they did include it as an option on the A4 and A5 for 2017 and 2018.

Audi's transmission offering model is frustrating.

2009-2016 You get a manual or a slush box in the A models. In the S model, you get the manual or DSG.

2017-2021 you get a manual or a DSG in the A models. However, in the S models, you get a 8-speed slush box.

20XX-2020 you get dumb fake exhaust tips in the SQ5. For 2021 they fixed that.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    corvette said:

Is that one that recharges when the key is in the ignition (like the E39 and E46)?
    No, thank goodness- those were the worst. The Club Sport has just a plain old key- all the battery does is illuminate the lamp when I press the button.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    breld said:

The Wiggles were pretty big when my boys were toddlers, so that was a popular play in our house (and we went to see them in concert 3 times). And Disney/Pixar's Cars came out around that time too, so that was constantly on, and we collected all the related die-cast Cars toys for awhile. It's very nostalgic for me when we visit Disneyland/California Adventure and are at the "Cars Land" section. The boys to this day still love it.

My son is a little older. I don't want to brag, but I've seen Arthur, on stage and in person! :p

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,964
    edited October 2020

corvette said:

No, thank goodness- those were the worst. The Club Sport has just a plain old key- all the battery does is illuminate the lamp when I press the button.

My 95 VW GLX VR-6 had a key like that. Press the VW logo and a light on the long end of the key would shine to allow you to find the door keyhole. I opted for the then 'new' remote entry which made the light unnecessary. Regardless I thought that was a neat feature.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

kyfdx said:

breld said:

My son is a little older. I don't want to brag, but I've seen Arthur, on stage and in person! :p
    I saw the Pokémon movie in the theater. From the front row. I’m still scarred.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,265
    kyfdx said:

breld said:

I saw the Wiggles on stage and in person. Not sure if I am bragging or shaming myself
    Another couple of shows my son and I enjoyed when he was a bit older:

Full Metal Panic- Think 90210 meets Gundam
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmwVZ-p9XOk

Neon Genesis Evangelion; I can't even begin to explain it...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHBq54SVQGU

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,637
    stickguy said:

My son texted me about the 2022 Genesis Gv70 sport. That is a seriously sharp looking unit. Might be a good replacement for his G70.

They really need to figure out how to get more dealers up and running though.

The 22’s are already out? That’s like Christmas in July.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

not out yet. They just released early look pictures. But his lease is not up until December, 2021 so plenty of time for it to arrive!

pretty good review on the new Tucson. Impressive updates. This one should be a winner in that class. Pretty room cargo space too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5io3hOyIGw

some pretty interesting stuff overseas too. That we never get.

So my Cincinnati dealer received a 2017 M2; three pedals and the Executive Package. 25k miles. White, but I could add the M Performance stripe kit to amp the appearance up a bit.
    Then I saw the Carfax; FIVE owners- starting in Hawaii.
    No thanks.

Carvana just dropped the price on my old TLX again. Now down to $29,990. Considering they paid $28,800 or so for it, not looking to make much at this point.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,075
    The TLX was an '18 model, @stickguy ? They might be buying it a birthday card.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

2019. Low miles. Sharp looking. Hope it sells soon. I feel guilty about it.

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1539595

Why should you feel bad about it? You sold when it was the right time. For all you knew, prices could have continued to rise and they would have made out like bandits.

Sometimes you’re the windshield and sometimes you’re the bug.

So my Cincinnati dealer received a 2017 M2; three pedals and the Executive Package. 25k miles. White, but I could add the M Performance stripe kit to amp the appearance up a bit.
    No thanks.

Well only the first guy prolly drove it like he stole it 😂
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    stickguy said:

Sharp color combination! Looks great!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,295
    Hopefully Vroom finally has my paperwork to sell my old truck straightened out.
    They have sent me a couple of different forms multiple times to sign and return.
    At one point, they were arranging to pick it up again.
    I got my check a couple of months ago and loan payoff letter a couple of months ago.
    It's still for sale for $50,480, down a couple of thousand from when originally listed.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

No thanks.

CarGurus ad says three owners but when you click on north Cincinnati dealer ad and carfax it shows five owners. Looks like really low miles in Hawaii and the last owner in Maryland put more miles on it.
    stickguy said:

You can feel guilty when it goes below your sale price and you buy it back!
    mjfloyd1 said:

Why should you feel bad about it? You sold when it was the right time. For all you knew, prices could have continued to rise and they would have made out like bandits.

Sometimes you’re the windshield and sometimes you’re the bug.

Oh, I don’t care about Carvana. They made the offer so they have to live with it.

I feel guilty to the car, that it’s sitting on some lot, without an owner to love it.

andres3 said:

stickguy said:

You can feel guilty when it goes below your sale price and you buy it back!
    That’s not happening. If I had wanted to buy it, I would have bought it out myself cheaper.

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,553
    ab348 said:

The TLX was an '18 model, @stickguy ? They might be buying it a birthday card.

Mine was an '18 with very low miles so the dealer CPO'd it and stuck it on their lot with a very optimistic price. I checked about a month ago and it was gone so I guess they found a sucker very nice buyer to take it home.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    I'm surprised it did not sell being so nice, but only because the market seemed crazy at the time. I did think it was a bit overpriced, competing with any remaining 2020 leftovers.

Maybe this is finally the start of the normalizing of pricing that everyone is anticipating at year-end.

maybe. The fact that the economy (and stock market) are reversing again (and no pending stimulus) could be tanking it too.

I assume much of the spike was pent up demand from the months where you couldn't really get a car, but with so many people driving less now, quite possible that demand has been sated.

You timed it so well, getting rid of the TLX at peak prices when you didn't need to replace it.

I am way ahead of the game. I got cash out (covered my DAS and at least 1 payment), and out of any potential dispo fee next year (not figuring to be leasing another acura). And have now banked 2 payments I think.

and considering in almost 2 months, I have not had any need for a 2nd car so really would have barely touched it, it did work out perfectly. I also don't expect that our needs will change before year end (wife won't be going back to her office until at least end of Q1 at this point) so should easily be able to stretch into next year, pocketing the savings. And if I really suddenly needed another new car, I could go lease something for a lower payment sign and drive, and not be any worse off.