Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    sda said:

If I was leasing that would bum me if I had to spend $$ to buy extra tires and perhaps rims to get through winter.

Says the guy who lives in SC. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    There's probably a 50/50 chance I will buy it out. I could always resell the winter tires/wheels at a massive loss, but more than zero lol.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,272
    Facebook has stolen Craigs thunder.

Haven't checked in in a while. Sorry about the snow.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/381221322922724 2005 GT vert for $5500 but 200k miles. Can't believe these are 15 years old now. Looks pretty decent for 200k miles

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/806969600038686 68 Camaro off the road for 35 years. Unfortunately had really been left to rot

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/366504414666262 72 Challenger. These have really gone through the roof. This may actually be OK but need more details

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/691676081728666 Nothing special slant 6 Dart that needs everything. Seller is nuts IMO

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/333099384300547 Nova might be OK for the money. Seller doesn't own a vacuum

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/633602397293842 This Catalina vert looks like a decent cruiser for under 10. I do like the old Pontaics

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    I like that Catalina!

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

ab348 said:

I like that Catalina!

Clearly the best of the bunch. I really like that year too. Definitely different looking
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Mustang isn’t a GT. that’s a V6.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Is there any piece of sheet metal on that Dart without a rust hole?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    edited October 2020
    Instead of the Dart, I'll take one of the other 2 in one of the pictures; the beer truck or the blue 'Cuda. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    stickguy said:

You're right. I didn't look close enough. I thought that the dual tailpipes signaled a GT
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    gsemike said:

stickguy said:

You're right. I didn't look close enough. I thought that the dual tailpipes signaled a GT
    Honest mistake just looking quickly at an ad... at least the seller was not trying to pass it off as a GT!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Instead of the Dart . . . I'd rather drive the forklift that's unloading the beer truck for the owner of the Barracuda.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    I had a duster (74 I think?) that actually had rustier rear quarters. But the rest of it was fine. there is no saving that mess.

edited November 2020
    Took the old dear out for the first drive since the big trip. I was a little anxious as I wasn't sure how the car would react after driving hard all day then sitting for 2 weeks through a cold snap - but no worries, fired right up as usual. Took the car for a maybe 25 mile drive, no issues, turned plenty of heads and got a few comments.

Gratuitous pic (ground is at a slight incline, making for the angle, and some leftover snow:

• bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    Fin, I have lost track of just where you relocated to. Are you in Spokane? Tri-Cities? Somewhere else?

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

Spokane. The cold has been pretty specific to the NE area so far this year (plenty of frosty mornings still).
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    fintail said:

Spokane. The cold has been pretty specific to the NE area so far this year (plenty of frosty mornings still).

Under the category of one that got away, when I was in the Tri-Cities in the late '70s I almost bought a '77 300D from the Spokane MB dealer. The car had been bought new and serviced there. The couple who originally bought it traded it for a 300SD. It was pristine. I was wowed by it and would have snatched it up except I didn't want to drive all of the way to Spokane to have it serviced. Found out later that there was a Mercedes mechanic right in Richland that people would drive distances for because of his reputation. I was bummed. It had a silver lining though. He was willing to service my Volvo, and did a great job. Eventually I traded the Volvo for a VW Scirroco. Should have bought the 300D.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

There's a decent chance that 300D (77 would be a first year W123) is still on the road. Speaking of that, I saw an early 123 when I had the fintail out on Sunday, it was a wonderfully 70s shade of green, and looked very clean. That 300SD might be around, too. A 300 SD was probably the best MB choice in the early 80s (debuted for MY 1979, I think).

I think Spokane has had a MB dealer for maybe 50 years. It is now part of a local I think family owned conglomeration, back when I was a kid in the 80s it was called "Sutherland Motors", and I think it existed under another name before that. Tri-Cities has a dealer these days, maybe existing since around 1990. Somewhat surprisingly, Yakima has had a dealer for ages too, I think it is still owned by the Hahn group - it existed when I was a kid.

I'll need to track down a sympathetic shop/mechanic eventually, there has to be one around as I see old Euro cars out and about. Speaking of that, I think the fintail's odd vibration/noise issue might be in the driveline, maybe a joint or engine mount issue throwing something just a little out of balance. I have no way to fix something like that myself, of course.
    bhill2 said:

Under the category of one that got away, when I was in the Tri-Cities in the late '70s I almost bought a '77 300D from the Spokane MB dealer. The car had been bought new and serviced there. The couple who originally bought it traded it for a 300SD. It was pristine. I was wowed by it and would have snatched it up except I didn't want to drive all of the way to Spokane to have it serviced. Found out later that there was a Mercedes mechanic right in Richland that people would drive distances for because of his reputation. I was bummed. It had a silver lining though. He was willing to service my Volvo, and did a great job. Eventually I traded the Volvo for a VW Scirroco. Should have bought the 300D.

edited November 2020
    Might be your Giubo. I assume MB used it on your car too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AGKa6QqGKbU

Funny, watching that video made me think about it, as when I had the car checked out before the trip and asked for the wheel bearings to be look at, they were determined to be fine. I know my engine mounts are very old and unpretty, and they can throw a lot out of balance.
    Watched the first 10 minutes. Pretty wild what some people do. Kinda sad though. Probably not all that far from TJC’s new digs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4FkQEePz9PA

stickguy said:

Watched the first 10 minutes. Pretty wild what some people do. Kinda sad though. Probably not all that far from TJC’s new digs.

Neat! It is amazing how easy it is for stuff to end up cluttered up like this. In fact, it seems to be a fair bit of work just to keep things under control at times. Not just cars, but anything that might be easy to say, "Yeah, I'll just put this here because it might come in handy someday...."

I think you guys might be shocked... hell, even some of these junk collectors like in the video above would be shocked, at the clutter that my wife's uncle accumulated on the old family property in Pennsylvania. The sheer volume makes most of these other guys look like lightweights (and I kid you not!).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    some people really should not be allowed to have a lot of land (or storage space in the house!)

edited November 2020
    Back around 1990, a friend of my dad bought some property in rural SW WA, and on it was a few dozen old cars, many of them overgrown with weeds, returning to the Earth. Cars ranged from the 40s to the 60s, and most weren't in bad shape for their storage conditions, especially compared to how they'd be if they were on the east coast. I got to visit the hoard a few times, and was given some trim pieces (hood ornaments mostly), as the cars were probably going to be scrapped, sold off anyway. I should have harvested the license plates, they'd be worth a pretty penny today.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    stickguy said:

some people really should not be allowed to have a lot of land (or storage space in the house!)

I’m scared with all the storage the new house has.

Two attics, closets everywhere and a pretty large basement storage room.

Wife and I both agreed that the attics are off limits and we have already purged more as we unpack. When we decorate for Christmas we will do another purge of the storage room.

Garage will be for cars and tools only. I have one side ready, need to work on the other side over the weekend. Previous owners put giant shelves on either side which blocks parking cars in there. I ripped out one side, just need to clear off the other and demo that. I have 215” of depth from the edge of the stairs to door. Enclave is only 205” and Volvo is 188” so plenty of room.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

If I ever get my land yacht it should fit on the other side without the stairs.

edited November 2020
    tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

I’m scared with all the storage the new house has.

Two attics, closets everywhere and a pretty large basement storage room.

Wife and I both agreed that the attics are off limits and we have already purged more as we unpack. When we decorate for Christmas we will do another purge of the storage room.

Garage will be for cars and tools only. I have one side ready, need to work on the other side over the weekend. Previous owners put giant shelves on either side which blocks parking cars in there. I ripped out one side, just need to clear off the other and demo that. I have 215” of depth from the edge of the stairs to door. Enclave is only 205” and Volvo is 188” so plenty of room.
    I'm not sure what sort of clearance you have, but eyelets or hooks on the ceiling (or walls) work great to hang yard equipment and get them completely out of the way, particularly if you move to electric machines - you can store the batteries in a separate area, and the remaining machine weight is pretty manageable in terms of lifting.
    I got a new accessory for the fintail, and something not seen every day - a first gen Thule ski rack. A friend of mine into old MBs is also very enthusiastic about period accessories, having tons for his old cars. He'd been bugging me to get a period correct rack for the car, but the ones that turned up on ebay would sell before I wanted to proceed. This one turned up about 30 miles from here, I made an offer, and picked it up. It's in excellent condition, especially for something like this, and appears complete. This style debuted in 1962, and is correct for the age of the car. I'll see about mounting it today, not sure if I will drive though, it was snowing when I got up this morning - welcome to the east side.

The first 2 cars in this fun history promo video have similar racks:

https://youtu.be/ByW0MKXZKbg

Installed, as easy as it looks. Didn't take the car out though - was thinking about it for a grocery run but changed my mind due to the radar on the weather app. 10 mins later it was snowing and even started sticking a little, and some roads have de-icer and are gritty. I suppose it kind of looks the winter part, now to find some old wooden skis or maybe even old wood hockey sticks (I have some 40s era snowshoes, but don't think I'll put them on it):

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Those are cool

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,121

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

How do skis or hockey sticks attach to that?

I think he's a little optimistic - not insane, but there's some room.

Pros: Many problem areas addressed, seller appears to be detail-oriented and honest about condition issues.

Cons: Price, miles and cosmetic wear, no mention of wiring harness, which is a big fail point on these cars. I'd feel a lot better if it too had been done - with those miles, it possibly has, but needs a PPI. I am sure the seller is wincing a little after having so much work done (and realizing this was an 80K car when new), but only the best of the best of these, that is, low miles with perfect original finishes, bring top dollar. This one would be more of a nice driver. I'd want a PPI with no issues, and then negotiate maybe 20%. I don't think it'll fly off the rack at 16K.

Michaell said:
    Probably hard to see in my pics, there are movable elastic/rubber straps that run parallel to the main bar, in the black area. It can kind of be seen at around 0:33-34 in the video I linked above.
    ab348 said:

How do skis or hockey sticks attach to that?

nice stately classic benz, but those paint colors do nothing for me.

stickguy said:

nice stately classic benz, but those paint colors do nothing for me.

Those convertibles always looked like bathtubs to me. Not really swoopy or graceful enough to pull off a convertible style.

fintail said:

Probably hard to see in my pics, there are movable elastic/rubber straps that run parallel to the main bar, in the black area. It can kind of be seen at around 0:33-34 in the video I linked above.

Ah. The only thing I got out of the video initially was that Swedish pop music all seemed to be blatant ripoffs of American/British pop music of the era.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,121
    fintail said:

I think he's a little optimistic - not insane, but there's some room.

Pros: Many problem areas addressed, seller appears to be detail-oriented and honest about condition issues.

Cons: Price, miles and cosmetic wear, no mention of wiring harness, which is a big fail point on these cars. I'd feel a lot better if it too had been done - with those miles, it possibly has, but needs a PPI. I am sure the seller is wincing a little after having so much work done (and realizing this was an 80K car when new), but only the best of the best of these, that is, low miles with perfect original finishes, bring top dollar. This one would be more of a nice driver. I'd want a PPI with no issues, and then negotiate maybe 20%. I don't think it'll fly off the rack at 16K.

Michaell said:
    @fintail - thanks, I knew I could count on you for an honest review. I do remember these being $75-80K when new (seemed like all the money in the world at the time).

The ad was posted on the Colorado Cars & Coffee FB page, so I'm also not surprised at the attention to detail.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Dodging copyright no doubt - mute or reduction of volume has a purpose in such cases lol
    ab348 said:

Ah. The only thing I got out of the video initially was that Swedish pop music all seemed to be blatant ripoffs of American/British pop music of the era.

It's probably a nice car, just maybe a little high. Looks like the owner has spent several grand on it recently, and is probably trying to not lose his shirt.

I recall when those debuted, something like a 25K premium over the coupe - that was real money then, S-class price.

Michaell said:

@fintail - thanks, I knew I could count on you for an honest review. I do remember these being $75-80K when new (seemed like all the money in the world at the time).

The ad was posted on the Colorado Cars & Coffee FB page, so I'm also not surprised at the attention to detail.

The fintail in 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' has a similar but different rack - not trying to re-create this car though, as one may recall, it eventually meets an unfortunate end:

fintail said:

The fintail in 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' has a similar but different rack - not trying to re-create this car though, as one may recall, it eventually meets an unfortunate end:

Poor choice in occupants. IIRC, the "bad guys" were driving it when it became the toast of the party....
    As per usual for a Bond film (the baddie in that installment (Telly Savalas) had a MB 600), and we all probably remember the bad guy Pontons in Goldfinger..

I posted the rack to the facebook fintail groups (I'm not a facebooker, but many car groups have migrated there), and people went nuts, I guess these old accessories are a thing. Some more old racks:

xwesx said:

Poor choice in occupants. IIRC, the "bad guys" were driving it when it became the toast of the party....

I have a confession to make, and I hope I don't get kicked out of the group for this.... I don't think I have actually watched a full bond movie prior to 1987's "The Living Daylights," though I have seen many segments of those prior films. I know, I'm a bad person.
    This has a sorta Bond vibe about it... Pretty car, but wow that price....
    gorgeous car. Though I think I prefer the coupe version on these.

The 60s-80s ones are the best anyway, after that they are very hit and miss.
    xwesx said:

I have a confession to make, and I hope I don't get kicked out of the group for this.... I don't think I have actually watched a full bond movie prior to 1987's "The Living Daylights," though I have seen many segments of those prior films. I know, I'm a bad person.

fintail said:

The 60s-80s ones are the best anyway, after that they are very hit and miss.

xwesx said:

Agreed

Well, darn. I guess I will need to set aside some time to filter through these.
    For 007, I am partial to OHMSS - fintail and other MB content, Telly Savalas is amazing in it, an actual sad ending in a Bond film. All of the 60s ones are good, most of the 70s ones, and I still like View to a Kill, too.

At an estate sale in the Seattle area tomorrow, a W111 220SE coupe (essentially a fintail coupe):

Euro model, 4-speed, and apparently has AC:

Also a late run Ponton:

No prices. I'd stop by if I wasn't now 5 hours away.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    I really like the red leather interior. AC, too, nice.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav