Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Sales tax credit applicable?

ap24laap24la Member Posts: 1
edited October 2020 in BMW
Hoping someone can shed some light for me.

car 1 - Lease - payoff $50k - estimated value $58k

trading for

used car 2 - Purchasing(not leasing again) - cost 57k - net retail $49k (after 8k equity from trade)

My question, do I still pay Nevada sales tax on the 49k retail cost of the new car or is sales tax null because of the trade in tax credit offered in NV.

Dealer is telling me that my financed OTD price is 54k because of the 8% sales tax.

Im thinking it should only be the net 49k because of tax credit unless I'm understanding it wrong
Tagged:

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,510
    can't speak to Nevada (check online for the tax code) but generally the dealers are right, and the finance software does all the calculations.

I know in NJ that you don't get sales tax credit if you trade in a lease. Maybe on the equity piece, but definitely not on the residual buy out piece.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    @ap24la

I agree with @stickguy

You didn't pay sales tax on your trade-in when new. The tax was deferred, as it was sold to the bank. In NV, you were taxed on the monthly lease payment. So, there is no credit to be given.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator