Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    stickguy said:

smart to resell a junky convertible when it is freezing out. Buyer might not try out the top to discover it's busted!

On a convertible, that's what they mean when they say, "A/C needs a recharge". :D

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220
    I just did IOS update. Seamless
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    jmonroe1 said:

ab348 said:

Tough day on the tech front here. Earlier this week I got a replacement credit card for one whose expiry date was coming up. You had 2 ways to activate it, a 1-800 number or online, which I chose. I entered the requisite things it wanted, then it asked me to set a PIN. I found that odd because every other CC that I did this for said the existing PIN would carry over. I set it, I *think* I saw a screen for a split-second that said it was accepted but immediately I got another screen saying "Oops, there was a problem, try again later". Several tries later including on two other devices the same result ensued so I called the number. The lady on the other end was virtually useless but finally told me the card was activated. When I checked the online site afterward it still said it wasn't. God knows what's next with that.

Not having learned my lesson with that, an hour later my iPhone tells me that iOS14 is available. I let it update itself, which took forever. Finally it starts up and there is all sorts of what seems to be useless new stuff. Also iTunes is no more, now it's Apple Music. I started exploring the new stuff and immediately got into trouble when I tried to figure out "widgets". I ended up having the phone open while I was searching on a PC for how to do some of this stuff since iOS is no longer very intuitive. Even despite that, some of them didn't respond the way the help web pages said they should, and somehow a few of them ended up on my app pages and I couldn't easily get rid of them. When I finally did get it sort of sorted out I somehow managed to create an entirely blank page with nothing on it, so I had to figure out a way to get rid of that. Not being confused enough already, I decided to set up Apple Pay using the same credit card I already had used for iTunes years ago. I was surprised it was still on file and active since I don't remember updating it but whatever. At some point it sends me a verification code but I could find nowhere that was asking for it, so that is still out there hanging somewhere.

Just call me @driver100 's east coast cousin I guess. :worried:

See...you shoulda called his guy.

jmonroe

Yup....I have a "Tech Guy" who does that kind of stuff.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

I hope you kept the VIN and will check for it frequently on search engines to see when
    the vehicle shows up for sale somewhere.
    They were more concerned with the exhaust system, specifically the catalytic converter. My guess is they are going to get the precious metals out of that and then dismantle the car and sell off the parts.
    That could work. More than $400 in parts on a rust free car. They’ll probably ship all the parts up my way to replace rusted out stuff.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Rest in peace Sean Connery, the first, the best and really the only 007.

My first born was named after him with the correct spelling of Sean.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    Well Halloween is here and for about the last week we had two pumpkins out on the front porch. I took them inside to carve the when I found that someone had beaten me to gutting the thing.

Anyway I took it as a clue and did a basic face and did this with what I had from the other pumpkin.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

Now since it's Halloween what is your favorite movie to watch on Halloween night?

My would be "The Haunting" from 1963.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460

Well Halloween is here and for about the last week we had two pumpkins out on the front porch. I took them inside to carve the when I found that someone had beaten me to gutting the thing.

Anyway I took it as a clue and did a basic face and did this with what I had from the other pumpkin.

It’s cheating when you use yourself as a model. You’re supposed to be creative.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    mjfloyd1 said:

Same here.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    mjfloyd1 said:

How are your widgets? Your App Library? Your app notifications? Mine are all crapola.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220
    No issues
    mjfloyd1 said:

No issues

I just keep getting more and more of them. I tried to set up Apple Wallet and add some reward cards that are supposedly supported. Once again, nothing worked as the support pages said it would.

ab348 said:

mjfloyd1 said:

No issues

I just keep getting more and more of them. I tried to set up Apple Wallet and add some reward cards that are supposedly supported. Once again, nothing worked as the support pages said it would.
    Maybe it's a Canadian problem. Or your carrier. But, what do I know, my phone stays in the car in case of an emergency or if I am going to be late for dinner....2 calls for a total 4 minutes a month.

I think the first one is the more horrific. Looks like some creature from an Alien movie.

We only had 12 kids come last night, three groups, 2, 4 and 6 in groups. We bought these little boxes of chocolate bars a few weeks ago, slowly we ate all the Coffee Crisps, then all the Kit Kats, then the Aeros, all that was left for the kids was Smarties. So we bought another box plus a package of larger bars for kids we know. Now we have a lot of chocolate bars left over.

That Jack O Lantern is creative.....a case of a bad thing turning out even better, or making lemonade from lemons!

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    kyfdx said:

An acquaintance (not really a friend) owns a high end audio store in a nice neighborhood. While, it’s small, it is broken up into different listening/watching rooms. He buys and sells used equipment, too. Most of his gear is way too large and/or heavy to steal. However, he does get a significant amount of traffic from people who want to sell/return high buck gear. Mostly folks who are upgrading (or are dumping gear for monetary reasons) come to sell him used equipment.

Then, you have the folks who clearly are trying to fence stolen equipment. Since he’s the only store locally that sells those brands, and he knows where most of the equipment is installed (because he did the install), he can tell hot merchandise pretty quickly. He tells the thief he has to go to the back room to look up the value of the equipment. From that point, it’s a quick call to the local police. Sometimes they get there while the perp is still in the store. Sometimes, if it takes too long, they’ll bolt and leave the hot merchandise behind.

From that point, it’s a pretty easy trace to find the true owners as they’ve reported it stolen.

Is that Alamo?
    Yep!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    driver100 said:

We only had 12 kids come last night, three groups, 2, 4 and 6 in groups. We bought these little boxes of chocolate bars a few weeks ago, slowly we ate all the Coffee Crisps, then all the Kit Kats, then the Aeros, all that was left for the kids was Smarties. So we bought another box plus a package of larger bars for kids we know. Now we have a lot of chocolate bars left over.

That Jack O Lantern is creative.....a case of a bad thing turning out even better, or making lemonade from lemons!

It was pretty much a bust here too. We only had maybe 20 kinds total and we were giving out a lot to each kid and we still have a bunch of candy left over. Oh well, there goes our diets.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    It was odd for us. We got about double our normal TorT’ers. I should have kept better track, but it was 23-25. We had prepped a dozen ziplocks with a mix of full-size and mini candies. I kept making 3-4 new bags every 30 mins or so. Happy that we do not have all the leftover candy that we usually have.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    we did OK. Not as many as normal or we used to (I think our record was about 180), but a fairly steady parade down the street. We do have too much left over of course, so will be getting a treat per day for the rest of the year. Thankfully most of what is left I don't like. I actually but stuff I hate on purpose, so I don't get tempted to eat it myself!

WAG I would say 40-50 kids total.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    We put out a table with some candy bars in baggies on a table outside.
    Wife said about a dozen bags went, so I said 'Oh, one kid'. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    No Trick or Treating was permitted in our area. So we setup a Halloween candy hunt for our little one.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    stickguy said:

we did OK. Not as many as normal or we used to (I think our record was about 180), but a fairly steady parade down the street. We do have too much left over of course, so will be getting a treat per day for the rest of the year. Thankfully most of what is left I don't like. I actually but stuff I hate on purpose, so I don't get tempted to eat it myself!

WAG I would say 40-50 kids total.

On the Halloween front, we had less than 20 brats. When I was out the other day I bought 4 bags of the Snickers Fun Size bars. There are about 20 of those per bag and we decided to give each kid 2 bars. For the few kids we know about 5, Mrs. j gave those kids 3 bars. I purposely bought Snickers because I like them and knew I’d enjoy eating what was left which turned out to be a little less than 40 of those smaller bars. So far I think I’ve had 6 bars but my figure can afford it.

I think I told this story once before. The first year we were married while living on the 3 rd. floor of an apartment in the Burgh, while shopping the week before Halloween, Mrs. j thought we should buy candy for the kids. I reminded her that not very many kids were going to walk up 3 floors for a candy bar so don’t buy too much. Even back then she didn’t listen to what I said and decided to buy 2 packages of the large bars. So we had 48 large candy bars. A little fast forward to Halloween night and a little more than an hour into it, no kids showed up. Being the modest guy I am I kept telling her she screwed up. Finally, one brave little boy comes to the door. She was so excited she gave the kid 3 of those big bars. I remember saying, “great, now we’re going to run out”. She wanted to know why so I told once that kids tells all the other kids, “those dopes up there are giving out 3 large bars, were gong to run out which she didn’t agree with. It turns out that was the only kid that showed up. Of course her being an I-told-you-so wife I was reminded about how wrong I was about running out of candy. Never once conceding that I was right about buying too many candy bars.

If nothing else that night taught me that kids, even back then, were soft and lazy. When I was kid and people were passing out 3 large bars, in the hood I grew up in, they would have been out of candy in 10 minutes, even if they lived 5 floors up.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Maybe the wife got tired of your modesty and called a neighbor to send a kid over for a nice payoff of 3 candy bars to keep his mouth shut. And yours too. Now that's trick or treat old school. 🍫

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    Yeh....his wife outsmarted him again :D

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    When I was a kid we didn’t have a lot of trick or treaters- especially after our GSD surprised a kid and confiscated her bag of candy.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

driver100 said:

Maybe so but I was still right about her buying too much candy. :@

jmonroe

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe

Not really. That was her plan all along to get you to spring for a bunch of her favorite chocolate bars :p

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe

Not really. That was her plan all along to get you to spring for a bunch of her favorite chocolate bars :p
    I’m supposed to be your poster buddy so stop siding with her. :@

jmonroe

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,254
    driver100 said:

ab348 said:

Back when I was in the liquor business shoplifting was always a problem. .

IMO....it seems to me to be easier just to have a job and pay for the stuff you want.......rather than go through all the stress and effort to steal it.

There’s no fun in that! 😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe

jmonroe

So true, we have to back up our buddies here.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    edited November 2020
    qbrozen said:

No need to test 0-60, 1/4 mi, or how it holds driving in a steady circle, I agree. But how it actually handles at 8/10ths through a left-right transition or how it leans or puts power down out of a corner are not things easily assessed from a review of stat tables. A big one for me is playing with the transmission through various hard-driving scenarios to see how it responds.

I probably would not have enjoyed a test drive with you and you probably wouldnt have liked me telling you to slow down. If I got a kid that I knew was apt to pull something I would tell him I had two rules. 1. Don't break the speed limit or any laws and 2. Don't scare me. I never used to scare easily at all but my 13 years in the car business has made me a nervous rider. I had people do some of the dumbest things. Some would twitch the steering wheel back and forth. Some wouls take their hands off the steering wheel and after a half block the car might drift slightly to the right on a banked road. IT PULLS TO THE RIGHT! I put up with almost anything but if they did something REALLY stupid or life threatening I wouldn't put up with it. I once spotted a group of guys that I knew would be a whole lot of no fun to deal with. I went the other way and a rookie sales guy got stuck with them. They took a new Civic down the freeway 90 MPH and started jerking the steering wheel! It went off the road and flipped on it's side. Nobody badly hurt. A new car went to the junkyard.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    I bought 6 cars from dealers when I lived in Bellevue. I didn't need to do any performance stuff either. I had my own test drive route - I wanted to cruise on 405 at ~65 for a few miles, and drive on one of a few rough roads in Kirkland and Bellevue. That all I needed to know. I didn't like the pre-planned routes, but the salesmen I was driving with got over it.

I bought my W126 from a dealer, when I lived in Bellingham (the car was barely over 10 years old then, hard to imagine). I remember the salesman complimented me on being a "mellow" driver, which amused me, as I am often like Darren McGavin cursing out his furnace in 'A Christmas Story'. But that sweet old beast was the kind of car to encourage calm driving.

I recall a horror story from someone in my old office. She was a "new driver", no car, no insurance, test drove some generic CUV I think at a Kirkland GMC dealer, and smacked it into a tree. I remember there was some legal drama over that one, and apparently they didn't even check to see if she had a license.

I probably would not have enjoyed a test drive with you and you probably wouldnt have liked me telling you to slow down. If I got a kid that I knew was apt to pull something I would tell him I had two rules. 1. Don't break the speed limit or any laws and 2. Don't scare me. I never used to scare easily at all but my 13 years in the car business has made me a nervous rider. I had people do some of the dumbest things. Some would twitch the steering wheel back and forth. Some wouls take their hands off the steering wheel and after a half block the car might drift slightly to the right on a banked road. IT PULLS TO THE RIGHT! I put up with almost anything but if they did something REALLY stupid or life threatening I wouldn't put up with it. I once spotted a group of guys that I knew would be a whole lot of no fun to deal with. I went the other way and a rookie sales guy got stuck with them. They took a new Civic down the freeway 90 MPH and started jerking the steering wheel! It went off the road and flipped on it's side. Nobody badly hurt. A new car went to the junkyard.

mjfloyd1 said:

Same here.
    Ditto here too!🤓

2021 Genesis G90

I put Hershey’s Miniatures on a snack table outside my door for the trick-or-treaters. At 10:00 PM, I brought the snack table in with the bowl filled with the Chocolates - they were all there (no one came by to get candy), but they had all melted - it was 88 degrees and I face southwest by my front door which means the chocolates were in direct sunlight most of the day. That was stupid of me - and here I thought I was being a good neighbor. 😜🤓😇

2021 Genesis G90

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe

jmonroe

We want Mrs JM here for a change....she probably has some short stories she can share.....especially if they are about you :p

abacomike said:

I put Hershey’s Miniatures on a snack table outside my door for the trick-or-treaters. At 10:00 PM, I brought the snack table in with the bowl filled with the Chocolates - they were all there (no one came by to get candy), but they had all melted - it was 88 degrees and I face southwest by my front door which means the chocolates were in direct sunlight most of the day. That was stupid of me - and here I thought I was being a good neighbor. 😜🤓😇
    Just take the wrapper off and mix them into one huge Hershey bar ;)

edited November 2020
    Update on the saga from yesterday about trying to get a newly-arrived replacement credit card activated. For the Canadians in the audience, this is PC Financial. After my last conversation with their call center folks yesterday early evening they told me a software upgrade was to be rolled out overnight and I should be able to activate it online today. Around lunchtime I gave it a shot. No go, same error as yesterday. I tried it using first a different browser, then a different PC entirely, still no dice.

So I called them, explained my saga to the lady on the other end. She said she would reset my card (whatever that means), then forward me to the automated activation phone system. I patiently worked my way through that until I got to the part where it asked me to enter the CVV (3-digit number on the back of the card), at which point it booted me back to the call center queue. Eventually got a different lady on the line, she did something else, then said it should be good to go, and forwarded me back to automatic activation. Same thing happened again and eventually I got a third lady on the line. Explained all of what had just happened, and she gave me a different number to call. Eventually I got to speak to someone there, she went off the line for a bit, then came back to say they did something at her end, said all should be well now, and sent me back to automatic activation again. Guess what, same result, and I ended back in the queue again. This time I got to talk to one of the ladies I spoke to previously, who at least recognized how ridiculous it was. She put me on hold for a while to talk to people there, came back on and told me that my card had been "manually activated", but that I couldn't set my PIN (and hence couldn't use the card) due to system problems of some sort. I'm now supposed to wait until Tuesday when something else is supposed to be rolled out in their software and then try to set my PIN again.

This is the most ridiculous experience dealing with a financial institution I've ever seen for something so simple.

It might be easier to apply for a new credit card. :'(

ab348 said:

Update on the saga from yesterday about trying to get a newly-arrived replacement credit card activated. For the Canadians in the audience, this is PC Financial. After my last conversation with their call center folks yesterday early evening they told me a software upgrade was to be rolled out overnight and I should be able to activate it online today. Around lunchtime I gave it a shot. No go, same error as yesterday. I tried it using first a different browser, then a different PC entirely, still no dice.

So I called them, explained my saga to the lady on the other end. She said she would reset my card (whatever that means), then forward me to the automated activation phone system. I patiently worked my way through that until I got to the part where it asked me to enter the CVV (3-digit number on the back of the card), at which point it booted me back to the call center queue. Eventually got a different lady on the line, she did something else, then said it should be good to go, and forwarded me back to automatic activation. Same thing happened again and eventually I got a third lady on the line. Explained all of what had just happened, and she gave me a different number to call. Eventually I got to speak to someone there, she went off the line for a bit, then came back to say they did something at her end, said all should be well now, and sent me back to automatic activation again. Guess what, same result, and I ended back in the queue again. This time I got to talk to one of the ladies I spoke to previously, who at least recognized how ridiculous it was. She put me on hold for a while to talk to people there, came back on and told me that my card had been "manually activated", but that I couldn't set my PIN (and hence couldn't use the card) due to system problems of some sort. I'm now supposed to wait until Tuesday when something else is supposed to be rolled out in their software and then try to set my PIN again.

This is the most ridiculous experience dealing with a financial institution I've ever seen for something so simple.

What’s the PIN business about? When I use a credit card I just put it in the reader and it gets approved. Is that for like cash withdrawals or something?

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    edited November 2020
    abacomike said:

I put Hershey’s Miniatures on a snack table outside my door for the trick-or-treaters.

Now, let me get this straight. You live in a retirement community in Florida which probably has restrictions for anyone younger than 55 or 60 or 65 -- whatever. Have you ever had anyone come around in past years to collect trick-or-treat bounty? If so, they're being trucked in from elsewhere -- not that there's anything wrong with that..

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester

What’s the PIN business about? When I use a credit card I just put it in the reader and it gets approved. Is that for like cash withdrawals or something?

Up here there are 2 ways to do a retail CC transaction at a store terminal with a chip card. Most places now have tap and go up to a certain maximum transaction amount, where you do not need a PIN. For transactions over that amount or for places that don’t accept tap, you need to insert the card into the terminal and enter the 4-digit PIN you set on the card. It’s often also used online for card account management too.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

@ab348,
    Great, I started the IOS update just before I read your post. :(

I didn’t have any problem with it.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Our local kids had a great Halloween! We all set up tables with candy, and the parents with kids in the complex decorated one part of it with spooky lights and music. Kids had a great time and we all enjoyed seeing their cute costumes at a safe distance. I saw a lot of FB pics of happy kids around the country doing the same thing. Very local and safe. So nice for kids to have one normal thing happening this year!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited November 2020
    For fans of the show Wheeler Dealers, it looks like they are doing a pivot back to making it in the UK. Also, Ant Anstead is leaving the show and Elvis Priestly is taking his place.

https://mikebrewermotoring.com/news/wheeler-dealer/wheeler-dealers-returns-to-the-uk-with-new-co-host/

Anstead had a rough year, with his HGTV-star wife giving him the boot after a short marriage and having a child with her, so I can understand why he might want to stay in California right now.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    @abacomike
    Just put the chocolate in the freezer. When time to eat them, they'll unwrap great despite having melted earlier.
    I love Reese cups frozen. Same for Twix.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    ab348 said:

For fans of the show Wheeler Dealers, it looks like they are doing a pivot back to making it in the UK. Also, Ant Anstead is leaving the show and Elvis Priestly is taking his place.

https://mikebrewermotoring.com/news/wheeler-dealer/wheeler-dealers-returns-to-the-uk-with-new-co-host/

Anstead had a rough year, with his HGTC-star wife giving him the boot after a short marriage and having a child with her, so I can understand why he might want to stay in California right now.

Yeah....I saw that. I more or less lost interest in the show. Liked it with Ed. Brewer's schtick hasn't held my interest in a while.

Agree about the tough year with Anstead. Nothing against the U.K., but given the weather of CA and the weather in the U.K., if he's made friends here, it would be tough to go back to the U.K., especially if his kid is here.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    He has older kids too. No clue what country they are in.

I have a lot of episodes taped but don’t watch them. But, a ton of content is on YouTube. Get the good parts without all the fluff. So 7-8 minute clips one Edd or Ant actually doing the work on them. Great way to watch!

Need an update from TJC to see how the great moving adventure went, and learn if they lost anyone in all the extra SF.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    Sounds like Mike is trying to chase what he lost that caused Edd to leave. Show has lost a lot of the gear head appeal it used to have.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    I would guess that Ant was unwilling/unable to continue the pace he was at given his personal issues, that the producers finally realized the scripted "funny" bits were not being well-received, that the viewers missed the UK core of the show, and that the Brit mechanic they wanted wasn't willing to move to the US. The fundamentals of the show have changed from what it used to be - it is no longer a "fix for quick resale/profit" concept as much as it is "do a full resto/restomod for big bucks" show.