Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    And a couple of them even have heaters!
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090
    And how much would that Mustang command today?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    I’ll take it for $1,700 though.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    Newly installed engine in the 64 Buick with 41k? It didn't state the engine was 'new' just newly installed. Buyer beware!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 284
    Andre, how is the garage project. Made me think of and miss my old garage that was 40x60 feet. We built it in 1989 when I ended up with late parents 5 acre property. It was block walls with trusses and no interior posts. 12 foot ceiling with a rollup door 10x16. I would have preferred a drive thru design but could not do it.

I put a compressor outside on the back side enclosed in a little shed with roof and ran hard air lines to work bench and a few more scattered outlets. I put 50 feet of pallet rack shelving down one side and 30 more feet across the back.
    At the time I had a drag car and several Chevy II projects. I also stored a 40 Willy's street rod and another rod for a friend.

In 1994 I moved to Lexington, KY and sold the old homestead . After downsizing twice I now have a townhouse with a one car garage. At least it is fairly long at 13x24 feet. My only Chevy II is an Ertl die cast 66SS and some drag race trophies from 1967 in a bookshelf in my office.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    The "Squire" in that ad got me, I initially thought it might be a big block full sized car (I think they could be had with a 428 and at least one 427 car is known, IIRC), but a quick look shows it is a Fairlane, still cool. I'll guess "power equipment" is steering and brakes.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,654
    jwm40517 said:

Andre, how is the garage project. Made me think of and miss my old garage that was 40x60 feet. We built it in 1989 when I ended up with late parents 5 acre property. It was block walls with trusses and no interior posts. 12 foot ceiling with a rollup door 10x16. I would have preferred a drive thru design but could not do it.

I put a compressor outside on the back side enclosed in a little shed with roof and ran hard air lines to work bench and a few more scattered outlets. I put 50 feet of pallet rack shelving down one side and 30 more feet across the back.
    At the time I had a drag car and several Chevy II projects. I also stored a 40 Willy's street rod and another rod for a friend.

In 1994 I moved to Lexington, KY and sold the old homestead . After downsizing twice I now have a townhouse with a one car garage. At least it is fairly long at 13x24 feet. My only Chevy II is an Ertl die cast 66SS and some drag race trophies from 1967 in a bookshelf in my office.

That sounds like it was a really awesome garage! I ended up hitting a snag with mine, unfortunately. My property is in what the county considers a "Bog Protection Area". As a result, I have to plant an appropriate amount of approved, native-to-this-county shrubs and/or trees to offset whatever area will now be impermeable to rain. The footprint of the garage, at 36x60, is 2160 square feet. The builder is also putting in some small concrete pads in front of the bay doors and the human-entry doors, but I don't know if they counted that, as well.

Luckily though, where I'm building the garage is partly on the existing driveway. And even though it's just a gravel driveway, they count that space as "impermeable", so they're giving me a partial credit for the overlap. So I only have to offset 1427 square feet, or something like that. Anyway, they said I could do either 15 trees, 45 shrubs, or a combination thereof, where 3 shrubs would equal one tree.

The size of tree they wanted was called a "1.5 inch caliper", where they measure the diameter of the trunk at roughly the 4-5 foot level. I priced them, and those sized trees were starting around $200+, for even a fairly boring tree, and they were too big for me to easily just throw them in the back of the truck and bring home. So, I went the native shrub route, where they only required a "3-4 gallon pot", and ended up spending around $800 total, because they were all on clearance, 50% off. I drew up a site plan for where I want to plant them, and am going to try and submit it tomorrow. Oh, I also have to post a bond with the county, for the price of the plants (plus labor, if I was going to have someone install them), and then have it inspected within a certain amount of time, or I lose the money.

So, slowly, but surely! Once they actually start breaking ground, I'll definitely take pics of the progress!
  • jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 284
    Andre, that sounds like some hoops I did not have to jump through. There were hardly any
    hoops in an unincorporated area of rural KY back then. If you do a compressor I really liked having it out of the garage. Much quieter .

Just reminded me also of the pallet rack shelving purchase. We went to an auction in Charleston WV and all the components were sold separately . First were the 10' side rails, we bought 200 @ $3.00 each. After that we were committed to buy enough upright sections to build the shelves they cost $15.00 each. Still not bad, $48.00 per section. Then they sold the unique D shaped heavy clips to fasten the sides to the uprights, we bought a 55 gallon drum of them.

Fortunately, the guy I split with had large box trucks and strong young guys so we overloaded one and got them all home in one trip. With the help of some bungee cords and leaning the first upright against a wall I managed to assemble mine by myself.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,254
    The music is intentionally annoying and might be a bit much for early in the morning.
    10 worst replica cars.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9daJVprk6M
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Miatastang. Why? You can build a replica Mustang from repop. At least the first gen Miata take on Lotus Elan was "mostly harmless."
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    I was going to post this over in Mystery Cars but there really isn't any mystery here. This is a pic of a pic so the quality is subpar, but it's an interesting shot of the showroom at Berglund Ford in Camden, NJ in late '59 or early '60. Photo is via Americar on FB.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Now there's a showroom. No wagons, unless the black and white/tan car at lower right is a Country Sedan.

Red and white Galaxie "Town Victoria" 4 door HT at left is the color of my dad's Country Sedan.
    edited November 2020
    I find it interesting that there are a couple of 2-tone models in the showroom with yellow roofs. The yellow over black one in the right foreground seems to have a red interior too! I'll get my red interior in the white convertible in the background.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Two in one day - a first-gen T-Bird, all red, in great shape. The other was a '63 Olds Starfire convertible, also looked great, both in traffic and doing fine, no smoke.
    nice out today, so some old cars out and about (plus we took a ride down to Delaware, so more time to see stuff!). a cool hopped up 65ish Nova 2 door, a 73 or 74 Corvette convertible with a weird high rise hood, and (just street parked in a residential area of Wilmington) a tired looking T Bird (I think a '63). Oh, and a perfect looking 64 GTO in a gorgeous dark red.

edited November 2020
    My dad's 60 had a red and white interior, I remember the seat inserts had kind of a plaid design.

On the road today, 77-79 Impala or Caprice, 70s Chevy van, MB 300CD, 560SL, maybe the rarest, a 90s Olds Cruiser wagon, the bubble or whale type.
    Yesterday, coming home, less than a mile from my house I saw a red '66-67 Skylark coming toward me. It happened kind of quickly...I was looking at my phone and my friend, who was driving, suddenly said "Old car!" and I looked up. I think it was a convertible with the top up, but it passed by so quickly, so all the details didn't really get ingrained in my mind.

It might be a local car. The road we saw it on dead ends about a mile after the turnoff for my house, in one of those little waterfront communities that managed to keep its sleepy charm. But, there's also a Veteran's cemetery, a mega church (or at least a pretty danged big 'un), a sports complex, and a small beach/marina, so that road gets a lot of traffic. I think the beach/marina (really more of just a boat ramp I think) might be private/closed to the general public
    I was out on a booze run this morning, to the bulk liquor store, and this time, in oncoming traffic, spotted a '70-72 Buick Gran Sport hardtop. Red with black contrast striping. Again though, traffic was moving too quick, in each direction, to really get a good look at it.

But, when I mentioned what it was, my friend, who is not a car person, said, "That's a Buick?!" Which, I thought was funny, because that's the tagline Buick is using with their new commercials where they're trying to market to millennials, post-ennials, etc.

Although at the rate they seem to be going, I have a feeling GM is going to borrow from the old AMC Matador marketing and go with "What's a Buick?" :disappointed:
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,056
    RE: '60 Ford showroom pic--seems like life itself was more colorful then. I almost-always think that when I see an old color pic.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    edited November 2020
    RE.: Yellow roofs--could be wrong, but my bet is those are white tops under lighting, combined with aging of the color in the photo.

Well, maybe not. The red four-door hardtop roof sure looks white. The brochure mentions optional two-tones but doesn't go into the combinations.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS

RE.: Yellow roofs--could be wrong, but my bet is those are white tops under lighting, combined with aging of the color in the photo.

Well, maybe not. The red four-door hardtop roof sure looks white. The brochure mentions optional two-tones but doesn't go into the combinations.

I think the lighting might make it look more yellow than it really is. I've noticed that effect, under those powerful fluorescent lights, such as at night on a sales lot, or inside the buildings at the Carlisle fairgrounds.

I have a feeling that the light yellow over light gold/copper, or whatever you'd call it, 4-door in the middle, looks more like this outdoors...

This isn't the best pic in the world, of a 2-tone 1960 Ford, but the closest color match I could find to one with a light-colored, but non-white roof. In the showroom pic, that yellowish almost looks to me like how a modern pearly white would look. But that's not a color they had back then as far as I know, at least not on something low-level like a Ford. I could see an off-white, antique white, or whatever you call it, but not that pearly white that makes me think of an early 90's Maxima, or a final-gen Seville.
    The problem with theories around lighting, photo aging, etc., is that there are other white roofs/paint jobs in the pic that are quite white. I think those roofs have to be yellow. Keep in mind that just a few years previous ('56/'57 for sure, maybe later too) Ford offered yellow and black two-tones and they were fairly numerous given how many I see at car shows even now.

Great commercial from the same dealer:

https://youtu.be/SVBPCy0hk-I
    edited November 2020
    Re: 60 Ford colors, I think I've seen a few beige tones too, I was thinking that roof section might be a light beige/tan color.
    Late breaking obscure sighting - Catera with an Opel grille (and padded top bearing the Cadillac crest and wreath).
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Whitewalls are white. The painted grill on the truck is white. The text portion of signs on the walls is white.

The paint charts I've found are inconsistent on the colors in the whites, off whites, and yellow appearance.

But I'll go with the roof is the yellow. I suspect Ford pushed that as a combination color for ordered by the stores as a company-pushed image combination.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited November 2020
    Potamkin commercial, LOLOL!

The '79 Eldorado there makes me forget all about the '80 Fleetwood Brougham!

Apparently that is Mrs. Potamkin herself.

Not a bettin' man, but if I were, I'd bet that Mrs. Potamkin was wife no. 2.
    Catera--my local Chevy dealer (which didn't survive the 'car czar' era in 2009, sigh) sold Cadillac on top of Chevy, for a couple years. I remember being there for an oil change and my service writer (who was a dead-ringer for Obama) was working. A Catera pulled in. I said "The Caddy that zigs!". With a disdainful look, he replied, "They zig all right".

I guess you had to be there, but he made them sound like a service headache at the time.
    I know I’ve shared this before. I bought a CPO 98 Catera with 24k on it. It was heavily optioned car that even had the electric rear sunshade, heated front and rear seats, sunroof, Bose and more. New it was right at $40k. Wonderful car, comfortable, drove great. But it was the most trouble plagued car I’ve owned. After 14 months I sold it to CarMax. It just turned 39k.

I saw that same Catera again, it might be living in my neighborhood - it's still on the road anyway, and appears to be in fair enough condition. Apart from the Opel grille it also has an Opel rear badge.

I never understood why GM thought they could get away with selling what was a nice enough but very mainstream car in Europe as some kind of luxury market competitor. In Germany, an Opel Omega would have compared with maybe a Caprice or a Buick if in this market, not with a BMW.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    Well to be fair they tried to take a Cavalier to the luxury market too.

Ford isn't much better; they did the same with the Granada turned Versailles. It still happens today, but there is much more differentiation for the luxury models (or at least it seems to me!)

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

The K-Car New Yorkers might not be much better in that regard either. On that note, the Versailles is a weird guilty pleasure for me. In a weird way, so is the Cimarron.

Ford might even be worse, did it with an entire short-lived brand (Merkur) - they were just Fords in Europe, nice modern and sometimes cool cars, but were not really chasing premium brand cars there. But here, European = fancy, look out BMW!
    I think I'd take a K-Car New Yorker over a Cimarron or Versailles. They were better overall cars for the time, IMO.

Funny thing the Versailles used a Ford 9" rear and many had factory disks. That's a common hotrod swap item.

tjc78 said:

I think I'd take a K-Car New Yorker over a Cimarron or Versailles. They were better overall cars for the time, IMO.

Funny thing the Versailles used a Ford 9" rear and many had factory disks. That's a common hotrod swap item.

The door panels in the Versailles were really nice and upscale. Other interior materials were top grade as well which included a leather covered dash. Other than different faux wood and beveled plastic covering the gauges, the dash was all Granada. Too bad they didn't give the dash a different look to match the rest of the interior.

I think I could be happy with a Versailles, as long as it was one of the models with the 351 rather than the 302. They're actually nice cars, but once you see what they're based on, it can't be un-seen, and the illusion is lost.

When Ford brought out the Lincoln Zephyr a few years back, the one based on the Fusion/Milan, I thought the same thing...seems like a nice, upscale car, until you see it next to a Fusion or Milan.

In comparison, there was a pretty big jump between a Nova and its siblings, and a Seville. Even though you could equip some of those X-cars pretty luxuriously, the Seville was still a cut above. It had a longer wheelbase, and as far as I know, shared no sheetmetal at all with the other X'es. Even the windshield and A-pillar area was different, and that's usually the one thing they don't like to change on a car, if possible.

As for some of those larger/more luxurious K-car variants, I'll admit they're a guilty pleasure of mine. I thought the interiors were pretty nice. Chrysler saved so much money on badge-engineering, all those models, that it seemed like they were able to put a few extra bucks into the interior.
    The last car my dad owned was a Dodge Dynasty. I had one as a rental in Florida for a week as well. Just an awful drive, not to put too fine a point on it. The interior was posh, but it was the only good thing about the car.

One of my friends, who went on to a Maxima, a couple of Passats, a BMW 5-series, and now a Subaru Outback, bought a Dynasty, as his first new car, fresh out of college. I forget what year it was, but it had the more reliable 3.3 V6, and was very well-equipped. The transmission, predictably, failed under warranty, around the 30K mile mark I think. It failed again, around 80K I think? I do remember him saying that, even though it was out of warranty, since he'd had trouble before, Chrysler actually split the cost with him. Still, he'd had enough, and at that point traded it on a '95 Maxima, with a stick.

This guy's tastes are pretty wide-ranging, though. One of his dream cars was always a Mark V, and he ended up getting a '78 Diamond Jubilee. It had some issues, so he went out and got one that was even nicer, with only something like 12,000 miles on it.

I remember back in the early 90's, in a short span, I test drove few used cars...an '86 or so Cutlass Supreme sedan, a Dynasty with the 3.0, and a Monaco (the Eagle Premier clone) with whatever V6 it had (I think a different 3.0?)

Just from a handling/performance perspective, I actually liked the Monaco the best. It seemed pretty nimble, and light on its feet for its size. The Dynasty had that feeling of taking a small car and making it feel "big"...sort of like what Ford did with the original Granada. It wasn't horrible, but just sort of "meh". The Cutlass Supreme, while the oldest design, just had that comfortable sort of GM familiarity to it that I liked. Plus, it had the 307, so in that lighter body, it wasn't bad.

I think if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to pick one of those three at the time, I would have gone with the Cutlass Supreme, for the durability, cheap-to-fix factor, and that comfortable familiarity. While I did like that Monaco, it just seemed a bit too "French" for my tastes. And, one of my relatives had owned an Eagle Premier, which was pretty troublesome, so I think I'd be worried about reliability.
    To me, the only thing that really betrays the Seville's origin is the driving position. It feels exactly like the Nova to me, with respect to the size of the door opening, how far the seat goes back, position of the steering wheel, dash, cowl/windshield, etc. I find them to be sorely lacking in legroom, and the steering wheel is too close for my comfort.

I'd probably be fine with one nowadays, as a collector car that I just drove around occasionally on a nice day, or to a car show. However, if I was a new car buyer back when they were new, or buying one as a used car to drive all the time, I most likely would have passed it up for a car I felt more comfortable in.

It's been ages since I've sat in one, but I recall the Granada as being pretty cramped inside, as well, a trait that would carry over to the Versailles. If I wanted a small-ish, ritzy domestic car back in that era, I probably would have been best served with a fully-loaded Chrysler LeBaron, and saved a few thousand bucks in the process.

I know that the first-gen is more desireable, but comfort is one thing I really appreciate about the '80-85 Seville. While the '75-79 just can't escape that compact car feeling for me, the '80-85 feels more like a full-sized car, narrowed down to a comfy 4 seater.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090
    I remember renting a Dynasty on one of my Canadian business trips, back in the day.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Here's something you don't see every day...a 1978 Catalina that just got smacked up in an episode of "CHiPs"

I found it a bit surprising, because normally they didn't smash up cars that new. Although, this was a 5th season episode aired in November '81, so at the time the '82 models were out, making it a 4 year old car.

The bigger tragedy is that the car it smacked into was a '67 or so Cougar, which then got spun around in the intersection, and T-boned by a '72 Catalina. And then the '78 sped off, committing a hit and run. I guess one reason I noticed it, is that I've always had a thing for the '77 Catalina, and this one is really close in style.

In rewinding on the DVR and watching the crash scene again, I noticed the Catalina already had body damage before hitting the Cougar, and it you weren't paying attention it was easy to miss. And, they never did show a broad, establishing shot of the car...the first view of it was a close up, of the interior, with the occupants. You never saw it from the outside until it was about to hit the Cougar. So, I guess the production people got ahold of one that was already wrecked, on the cheap, and finished it off for this episode.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    tjc78 said:

I'd just walk.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited November 2020
    K-Car NYer always makes me think of this clip (note the fancy leather):

https://youtu.be/tdWePlcsipA

Other good spots are that Impala hardtop and the 2 headlight Panther taxi.

Versailles memory (I think I've told this one before). Picture it: my house, 1988, a female relative in her 20s breaks up with her longtime bf and wants to get away, my dad gets wind of this and lets her stay with us for the summer. Another relative, not a blood relative and someone I was never familiar with, has a used car lot a few towns over, and gives this young woman a car. She had a thing for old Lincolns then, and he has something on his lot for her - a 78 Versailles. It apparently came from an estate, and I don't recall the miles, but they must have been low, as the car was pristine. IIRC, it was dark grey on silver, dark grey button tufted leather, moonroof, fancy stereo - seemed to be a high option car, but I don't recall the engine size. She was over the moon with it, but probably due to her age and experience, didn't baby it. IIRC, sometime in mid-late 1989, the transmission went out (I think) , and she just got another car instead. I clearly remember cruising around with her in the Versailles, roof open, top 40 hits of the era on the radio, good times.

Thinking about it, I recall that car too, a blue and white 69-70 Ford Galaxie, given to her by her mother, who bought it from a friend who was the original owner. It was very nice too, and had about the same lifespan before it was claimed by an unknown-to-me malady. I recall the big Ford had an aftermarket rear window defroster that interested me.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    My office is in the same building as the county sheriff, and my parking spot is adjacent to the area where the sheriff's office inspects out-of-state cars. Today a guy had a 1972 Cutlass on a trailer(he was surprised that I knew the year). The cosmetics were a bit shabby, but it looked pretty solid overall. The bench seat and column shift was underwhelming, however. My 9th grade English teacher drove a new Flame Orange 1972 442. It was a nice looking car and was only let down by the 350 motor.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Moving violations, what a great stupid humor movie.

edited November 2020
    I always hated when a model that was available in the 'lower' lines was gussied up as the top-line brand....a la Versailles, and worst of all, Cimarron from Cavalier. I always thought when I saw one, "That buyer must not be all that smart", LOL.

The Seville, as pointed out, at least didn't look like a Nova anywhere.

Speaking of Nova, here's a Nova I liked from day one, but I think they sold poorly and I hardly ever saw them then, yet now. I spy a hint of BMW in the cut of the rear door and the exhaust vent on the C-pillar for the flow-through ventilation. And it could've been had with the 350 ("5.7 LITER" as it read out on the front fender).

Then, and now, I'd have enjoyed one of these more than the same-year four-door Colonnade (although I know those were larger).

http://bestride.com/news/vintage-ads-1975-chevrolet-nova-ln-going-euro-bring-a-parasol

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/1975_Chevrolet_Nova_LN.jpg

I always hated when a model that was available in the 'lower' lines was gussied up as the top-line brand....a la Versailles, and worst of all, Cimarron from Cavalier. I always thought when I saw one, "That buyer must not be all that smart", LOL.

Well, I dunno about that. I mean, this is just a Chevy, so probably it wasn't the quality of a Buick or an Olds. But it was still a very nice car:

edited November 2020
    RE.: The Maxima--my coworker had the one that looked just like an Infiniti--I'm thinking early 2000's. What I remember most about it was he picked me up a few years back for our drive to our Harrisburg, PA office, and we never got out of Kent. It was a bit older. I never cared for the styling of that particular iteration. His check engine light started blinking. We ended up leaving it at my house and took my Cobalt, 5-speed and crank windows, on the trip.
    edited November 2020
    ab348, I wouldn't like a '66 Cadillac that was clearly a '66 Caprice, is sort-of what I was getting at. To me, it's sort of phony 'stepping up'. Now I get that a large Buick or Cadillac had things a Chevy Caprice did not. But, they didn't look like a Chevy. A Versailles looks like a Granada, and a Cimarron looks like a Cavalier.

I feel that way about Tahoe/Yukon/(and especially) Escalade. But I'm surely not the market they were intending for those anyway! LOL

RE.: Quality--I remember CR testing a '73 Electra 225. I clearly recall they counted 46 defects, a lot even by 1973 standards. One was a dent resulting in the hood or upper fender when the right door was opened. I remember a Buick guy from school who constantly said Buick quality was better than the lesser GM brands, and he about blew steam when I showed him that, LOL.

RE.: '66 Caprice--I occasionally search for "Caprice coupe" on eBay. Seems invariably, more '66's come up than any other year.