Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    qbrozen said:

I think back to some of my past vehicles, for instance, where I went above and beyond because I intended on keeping it for a while ... then didn't. So I usually lose money.

Boy, does that sound painfully familiar.

That X3 is a funny car. Had to be special ordered, what with the stick, heated seats front and rear, pano roof, etc. And yet, it's in the usual 'sale mgr ordered it to lease' color combo. Weird.

Last, it's funny to look at the BaT comments, which I like to visit, and see CCBA names. I had to double check the URL.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,387
    That is used car sales in general, though. I think this seller is better than many, but far from perfect - these are fundamentally old used BMWs, so even doing everything, something could still break on Day 1 of ownership.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    I'm still interested in that X3, but I also know what I'd be looking at in terms of service - a full cooling system refresh (immediately), bushings (as needed), and I'd take a wag it probably has a leaking VANOS oil line and weeping oil pan gasket behind that drip tray. To me the most egregious thing they did not address is the cooling system given that they deal in these cars ALL the time and know it is a weak point. The rest of it I could see a selling dealer not doing because unless it is truly broken, it is a wear and tear item.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    Phaeton is scary. Basically an A6 V8, right?

Love the V90, but needs some TLC. Parasitic power draw can be a nightmare to sort out, probably why it wasn’t done. The Weezard just had a video on tracing one of these. Can’t remember which car though. Maybe the TR8.

I’d still want a manual of course, but I assume the AT is an easier swap.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    edited November 2020
    qbrozen said:

Here is what concerns me ... and I won't say this on that other site ... a flipping dealer has no personal investment. They are trying to maximize profit. I am not naive enough to think they are doing top-notch work with top-notch parts. They are doing the minimum to polish a turd and get as much as they can for it. That's probably where I'd fail in the endeavor. I think back to some of my past vehicles, for instance, where I went above and beyond because I intended on keeping it for a while ... then didn't. So I usually lose money. No buyer cares that I put adjustable shocks on my 300z rather than cheap fixed units, for example. Take a T-belt service. A flipper might just replace the belt. An owner would replace the belt, tensioner, water pump, and cam seals.

That's probably why, among other reasons I'm sure, I had zero luck on FB marketplace or Craigslist with the Honda. No one scouring those places cares the t-belt service included every seal, tensioner, belt, or pulley. They only care about the bottom line. I think it would get a warmer reception, miles and all, on BaT with enthusiasts as the audience but of course they didn't want it even after I did what you did and go for their picture package.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935

I'm still interested in that X3, but I also know what I'd be looking at in terms of service - a full cooling system refresh (immediately), bushings (as needed), and I'd take a wag it probably has a leaking VANOS oil line and weeping oil pan gasket behind that drip tray. To me the most egregious thing they did not address is the cooling system given that they deal in these cars ALL the time and know it is a weak point. The rest of it I could see a selling dealer not doing because unless it is truly broken, it is a wear and tear item.

His answer to you is humorous. "cooling service noted on carfax." Gee, that's soothing.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Exactly - he knew what I was asking but gave me a sales-y answer. A coolant flush does not equal a cooling system refresh.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    @stickguy,
    Wasn't there some Wizard episode about an electrical problem with a resto mod Corvette?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,024
    stickguy said:

Phaeton is scary. Basically an A6 V8, right?

More like an A8, but with a W8 engine, I think.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

@stickguy,
    Wasn't there some Wizard episode about an electrical problem with a resto mod Corvette?

Yeah, an LS in a C3 vette. Not quite sorted.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    qbrozen said:

Oh, sure, I know there are dealers. But I agree it should be those who seek out special cars from owners and can give the background on them and provide records. Buying from auction and reselling immediately is just garbage.

I don’t know, can you blame a dealer for scooping up an unrecognized bargain gem to flip while buying your other mundane inventory? I get what you mean about lack of records though.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

corvette said:

Anyone looking for a project car? I'm sure you could knock out its entire list of needs in a weekend. :D

Didn’t Samcrac or one of the other YouTubers have one of those? I think he gave it to a relative with just under 100k miles. Maybe this is the relative selling it.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

corvette said:

Hoovie needs to bid on it. The Weezard would make enough off fixing it to finish his yacht.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rJzZmNaX/1998-volvo-v90-wagon

I really like this. Shame it sounds like the airbags might not work, plus the "unknown battery drain" issue. I love the OE look, but traction has to be a huge issue if it's putting down LS power to those 205/55/16 tires.

What’s with the TMU on a lot of these cars? I wouldn’t want to deal with that unless it was an extremely cheap car.

edited November 2020
    pensfan83 said:

qbrozen said:

Here is what concerns me ... and I won't say this on that other site ... a flipping dealer has no personal investment. They are trying to maximize profit. I am not naive enough to think they are doing top-notch work with top-notch parts. They are doing the minimum to polish a turd and get as much as they can for it. That's probably where I'd fail in the endeavor. I think back to some of my past vehicles, for instance, where I went above and beyond because I intended on keeping it for a while ... then didn't. So I usually lose money. No buyer cares that I put adjustable shocks on my 300z rather than cheap fixed units, for example. Take a T-belt service. A flipper might just replace the belt. An owner would replace the belt, tensioner, water pump, and cam seals.

That's probably why, among other reasons I'm sure, I had zero luck on FB marketplace or Craigslist with the Honda. No one scouring those places cares the t-belt service included every seal, tensioner, belt, or pulley. They only care about the bottom line. I think it would get a warmer reception, miles and all, on BaT with enthusiasts as the audience but of course they didn't want it even after I did what you did and go for their picture package.
    I think a perfect maintenance record will help sell a car quicker but I don’t know if it will get you a higher price. Buyers may like that things were fixed but they don’t want to pay for it.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    qbrozen said:

Decided I had to post a comment on the auction. I wonder what kind of storm I started for myself

I like/appreciate what you posted. I think it was worth the saying, for sure.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited November 2020
    I've been looking at new 2 row CUV's and CPO 3 row CUV's.
    Considering how little we are driving, I'm looking at occasional drivers too.
    Kind of like this Mustang, but probably should wait until closer to the end of the year.
    https://www.mitchellseligford.com/new/Ford/2020-Ford-Mustang-Windsor,+CT-f19f95db0a0e0a17581c47df59cc9fbe.htm?searchDepth=3:4
    that is certainly a noticeable color.

@stickguy,
    I'm trying to avoid 'Old Man Gray'. ;)

@stickguy,

We had a Saturn VUE in that color.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

There a 2 blue Mustangs on my street. a 2006 in Vista Blue and a 2018 in Lightning Blue.
    The one in the link I posted is Velocity Blue, which seems appropriate. :p
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790

@stickguy,

That does it! Maybe consider yellow as well. :)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

I've been looking at new 2 row CUV's and CPO 3 row CUV's.
    Considering how little we are driving, I'm looking at occasional drivers too.
    Kind of like this Mustang, but probably should wait until closer to the end of the year.
    https://www.mitchellseligford.com/new/Ford/2020-Ford-Mustang-Windsor,+CT-f19f95db0a0e0a17581c47df59cc9fbe.htm?searchDepth=3:4

I like it. $6k off this early in the season and in an inflated market is impressive. Do you qualify for all the discounts?

I’ve seen velocity blue in person and it is beautiful. Really stands out.

qbrozen said:

Oh, sure, I know there are dealers. But I agree it should be those who seek out special cars from owners and can give the background on them and provide records. Buying from auction and reselling immediately is just garbage.

I don’t know, can you blame a dealer for scooping up an unrecognized bargain gem to flip while buying your other mundane inventory? I get what you mean about lack of records though.
    Nope, I can't blame him. I even wrote another comment saying as much. I'm more peeved with BaT. I find it disheartening that they continue to prove they are not the site they claimed to be. They turn down listings of good vehicles by actual owners and let dealers throw any old used car on there.

Here is their description of themselves:
    Bring a Trailer is a digital auction platform and enthusiast community.
    BaT Auctions are the best way to buy and sell classic, collector, and enthusiast vehicles.

We curate vehicles submitted by our audience and craft transparent auction listings that present the vehicles as they are—without superlatives or dubious used-car-lot language. BaT’s knowledgeable community of more than 450,000 users and over 200,000 registered bidders vets each listing so potential buyers can bid with confidence.

Hmmm... so, I ask you: how exactly is a car that came through dealer auction a vetted listing "so potential buyers can bid with confidence"? Confidence in no history? Confidence that someone cut corners to maximize profit on a flip?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@stickguy,

I went gray. Might explain the bright red TLX

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085

@stickguy,

The problem with the California Special package is that it requires you to take a black interior.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@oldfarmer50,
    Not sure what discounts I'm eligible for, 2k cash for sure, hoping they get a bit better.
    Current ones expired today.
    I saw that car a month ago or so walking that lot when they were closed, color is 'purty.
    qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

Nope, I can't blame him. I even wrote another comment saying as much. I'm more peeved with BaT. I find it disheartening that they continue to prove they are not the site they claimed to be. They turn down listings of good vehicles by actual owners and let dealers throw any old used car on there.

BaT Auctions are the best way to buy and sell classic, collector, and enthusiast vehicles.

We curate vehicles submitted by our audience and craft transparent auction listings that present the vehicles as they are—without superlatives or dubious used-car-lot language. BaT’s knowledgeable community of more than 450,000 users and over 200,000 registered bidders vets each listing so potential buyers can bid with confidence.

Hmmm... so, I ask you: how exactly is a car that came through dealer auction a vetted listing "so potential buyers can bid with confidence"? Confidence in no history? Confidence that someone cut corners to maximize profit on a flip?
    I see your point.

qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

I see your point.
    Remember, they declined to list the Polestar @breld owned.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

I see your point.
    That’s the one that sticks out to me. Rare (relatively) car, great color and pretty low miles and they declined. I don’t have a problem with the original owner. plain jane Cutlass with 3k miles being posted but some of their other choices are head scratchers.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

I watched the Wheeler Dealers episode last night where they did over a 2001 Saab 93 Viggen convertible. The episode unfortunately didn't show most of the things they had to do to it (it had a lot of problems) but was interesting nonetheless and actually made me think it would be a fun car by the end. One interesting thing they did that amazed me was that it had a coolant leak that was caused by the original head bolts being only finger-tight, said to be a common problem with these over time, which they fixed by replacing the bolts with new ones without having to replace the head gasket(?!?). I don't think they ever mentioned the mileage but I figure it was pretty high. Sold it at the end to a Saab enthusiast for $7500 which left them with almost zero profit.

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

I see your point.
    What do you figure, is there some payola going on to get certain cars listed?

edited November 2020
    ab348 said:

I watched the Wheeler Dealers episode last night where they did over a 2001 Saab 93 Viggen convertible. The episode unfortunately didn't show most of the things they had to do to it (it had a lot of problems) but was interesting nonetheless and actually made me think it would be a fun car by the end. One interesting thing they did that amazed me was that it had a coolant leak that was caused by the original head bolts being only finger-tight, said to be a common problem with these over time, which they fixed by replacing the bolts with new ones without having to replace the head gasket(?!?). I don't think they ever mentioned the mileage but I figure it was pretty high. Sold it at the end to a Saab enthusiast for $7500 which left them with almost zero profit.

Did the convertible top work? I’ve been warned not to buy certain years with a convertible top because they have an unreliable design.

Did the convertible top work? I’ve been warned not to buy certain years with a convertible top because they have an unreliable design.

It did, but some of the hydraulic rams had small leaks. They ended up removing all 5 of them and taking them to a place in Oregon (supposedly one of only two in the US that rebuilds them) for R&R. Cost $500 or so for all of them to be rebuilt.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited November 2020

pensfan83 said:

qbrozen said:

I think a perfect maintenance record will help sell a car quicker but I don’t know if it will get you a higher price. Buyers may like that things were fixed but they don’t want to pay for it.
    An S4 I'm looking at is a good example. It has about 32 or 33 thousand miles. If I know they did the very expensive and extensive 35K service, that'll make a difference, as I know it includes the DSG Transmission oil change which is pricey.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

I see your point.
    @breld 's car is the one I usually think of, too. I don't blame them much for rejecting my dad's truck ALTHOUGH it had the very sought after and legendary 7.3, and it is still way better than some of the other stuff they have accepted. Anyway, yes, I think they give preferential treatment to repeat business. That X3 dealer has listed nearly 300 cars with them, apparently, so will they ever reject any of his and risk losing that kind of business? Nope.

Certainly going to be the only one on your block. Or any block.

Guessing acceleration in that would be defined as leisurely?

qbrozen said:

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

I see your point.
    @breld 's car is the one I usually think of, too. I don't blame them much for rejecting my dad's truck ALTHOUGH it had the very sought after and legendary 7.3, and it is still way better than some of the other stuff they have accepted. Anyway, yes, I think they give preferential treatment to repeat business. That X3 dealer has listed nearly 300 cars with them, apparently, so will they ever reject any of his and risk losing that kind of business? Nope.
    So just the old boy network and not bribery.

qbrozen said:
    I like when they say “at 79k miles the motor is just getting broken in”. In my old Chrysler the Mitsu motor needed a new timing belt and water pump by that mileage.

qbrozen said:
    I like when they say “at 79k miles the motor is just getting broken in”. In my old Chrysler the Mitsu motor needed a new timing belt and water pump by that mileage.
    Well, you know what they say about Mitsu engines: "at 79k miles the motor is just getting broken". :wink:

qbrozen said:
    pretty sure yours wasn't a diesel. ;b

oooo... this was always my favorite style of Legacy. Ever since the first Gran Turismo.
    https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9nmJqA4G/1995-subaru-legacy-touring-wagon

Cool car. I had a generation prior legacy wagon. 5 speed. But no turbo. Too bad this one is an automatic. Plus I can’t get over the pesky issue of steering wheel being on the wrong side!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    qbrozen said:

Besides the fact that it is an automatic, what's with that god-awful color combination? Red? Yellow? Black? I've even seen once in a dark grey with a red interior that was striking.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    Was someone looking for a convertible?
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-jaguar-xjs-53/

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Too bad about the terrible transmission. And ditto on yucky color combo.

tifighter said:

Was someone looking for a convertible?
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-jaguar-xjs-53/

Love the unique colors. And not a V12. That’s about all I like though!

edited November 2020
    Got some good news today. My old cargo van was at the shop because I noticed that it was losing coolant over time. I couldn’t see any drips so my fear was it was leaking intake manifold gaskets. It seems a lot of GM engines had this problem including my 4.3L Vortec. I requested a pressure test.

To my surprise it turned out to be an upper radiator hose leaking under the clamp. A $50 fix vs. a $1000 fix. Good news. A gasket repair would be almost what the van is worth.