Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    qbrozen said:
    That is beautiful. Much more so than the Magnum PI version of the 70s. I can’t imagine how hard it would be to maintain it. Are parts still available?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

tifighter said:

Was someone looking for a convertible?
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-jaguar-xjs-53/

6 owners in 44k miles? Much have been in the shop a lot.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    edited November 2020
    tifighter said:

Was someone looking for a convertible?
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-jaguar-xjs-53/

Unique color to say the least. Power train doesn’t bother me.

These are like the crazy but hot girl you always wanted to date. When you finally get that date, hold on, you never know how its gonna go...

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    edited November 2020
    stickguy said:

Too bad about the terrible transmission. And ditto on yucky color combo.

Back in the 1990s before Porsche tried to be all things to all people, the local dealer shared space with Mazda. I remember going there with my dad to look at the 911s, and the only thing they kept in stock were a handful of silver over black or silver over grey ones with almost no options. I'm guessing most customers ordered what they wanted. But, those demo models had to get sold to somebody eventually!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

Besides the fact that it is an automatic, what's with that god-awful color combination? Red? Yellow? Black? I've even seen once in a dark grey with a red interior that was striking.
    Well, F1 auto-manual trans. And I love the color.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    Interior is meh, but I do love the exterior color!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

Besides the fact that it is an automatic, what's with that god-awful color combination? Red? Yellow? Black? I've even seen once in a dark grey with a red interior that was striking.
    I'm seeing a silver-grey Ferrari with a black interior. Are you referring to something else?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,305
    I'm with nyccarguy, looks to bland for a Ferrari.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    It is blue. So, yes, I’m seeing something else. Lol

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

PLEASE let this get out of financial reach!
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1994-alfa-romeo-164-12/

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    qbrozen said:

Gorgeous car! So simple, but so well done. I LOVE those seats, and of course the color combo . Do BAT auctions have a reserve?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Double the cylinders and a better color combo

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-jaguar-xjsc-6/

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    qbrozen said:

It is blue. So, yes, I’m seeing something else. Lol

I'm still looking for the red/yellow/black car.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

Gorgeous car! So simple, but so well done. I LOVE those seats, and of course the color combo . Do BAT auctions have a reserve?
    They can, yes. Usually states No Reserve otherwise.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    Live the Alfa. I bet that engine sounds sweet to rev up.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

tjc78 said:

Probably almost like angels revving their angelmobiles.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    The Golf has been behaving and am very happy I fixed what needed to be fixed. Still nothing out there that I really want at this point. Would like to drive the new Seltos a some point but think it might be a bit too long for my needs. The more I've read, the new GTI and Taos will probably be the best ones to fill my need going forward. Luckily with the little driving I am doing now, it's very possible that I could wait till 2022 and then get something newer. Since I'll most likely be putting less than 5K on each year, a good bet that it'll have maybe 75K by that time. Time will tell and am willng to wait at this point.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    More recently Doug rated this 2004 Maserati Coupe an "exotic car bargain" and more reliable than the E46 M3.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJddtAyz4As

Meanwhile down the BaT hole...
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    There are probably some pretty unobtanium or at least very specialized parts on that Alfa.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,514
    corvette said:

tjc78 said:

That was a classic. Wonder if it ever sold? And the answer, as always with this vintage exotic, is get the manual tranny. And find someone like the Weezard to take care of it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

omarman said:

More recently Doug rated this 2004 Maserati Coupe an "exotic car bargain" and more reliable than the E46 M3.>

A bit of hyperbole there, I’d think. You’d need to get a manual Maser, for one, and those are rare. Second, while I believe the M3 has more common trouble spots, they won’t cost a mortgage payment to fix.

Cool Alfa, even with terrible color combo. But that’s personal taste. Gray market import worries me a bit. I also did not know they offered it in AWD.

My old TLX must have sold. Not on the site any longer. That’s nice, it it finally has a new home. Unless they dumped it elsewhere!

edited November 2020
    stickguy said:

My old TLX must have sold. Not on the site any longer. That’s nice, it it finally has a new home. Unless they dumped it elsewhere!

Funny, I was genuinely sad when I saw the Crosstrek posted on Vroom. It’s easy for me to make an emotional connection to a good car. Weird, I know.

Easier when it’s a lease. You go in knowing it’s a relatively short term fling then you move on. So no reason to get attached.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,011
    stickguy said:

Easier when it’s a lease. You go in knowing it’s a relatively short term fling then you move on. So no reason to get attached.

I really liked the Jetta I had, and was sorry to see it go.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    I’ve had a few leases that I was sad to give back. I have a feeling the Volvo is going to be one of those. The other was the 2012 LaCrosse.

The rest I was ready to move on.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Think that's my problem with the Golf, I really like it! I knew within a few minutes of driving it that I was going to own this car. I've always done the econobox thing since I bought my first vehicle. Can't really count my grandpa's '67 Olds Cutlass Supreme as my mom bought it for her folks and after he passed, it became my high school driver. It sat home for my freshman year but we took it to school for my sophmore year. During that time, the folks downsized from a 7/6 to a 3/2 at the country club and didn't want or need three vehicles any longer. Plus, they bought a golf cart to use at their new place so I took the Cutlass while my older brother got the '72 Ford Torino GT. We paid my dad a nominal fee just so it was fair to the two other siblings.
    But the Golf is the first vehicle I bought just for pure fun. That blip with the Hyundai Tucson was a total mistake from the get go and it still was the right thing to do to cut it loose as early as I did. And now that I drive so many different vehicles at work, I'm still happiest when I get back into my Golf and go home. My gut tells me that next time I should go "cheap to keep", but just not sure that'll play out. Just afraid I'll get bored real quick and want to move on.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    I was sad to return the A4 because I knew that was likely the last manual DD I would own. Such a fun car.

I think the Tacoma may fall into that category too but for different reasons. It's been a very practical vehicle for us and it's utility as a hauler or tower has been used numerous times. If prices fall back to earth by next August and we can snag a reasonable deal I'm pretty sure we'll get another one.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    edited November 2020
    pensfan83 said:

I think the Tacoma may fall into that category too but for different reasons. It's been a very practical vehicle for us and it's utility as a hauler or tower has been used numerous times. If prices fall back to earth by next August and we can snag a reasonable deal I'm pretty sure we'll get another one.

Would you mind me asking what you're paying again for that one? I know you've probably said it in the past. They're advertising a $326/month payment for 36 months, $0 down here for a 2020 Tacoma Double Cab V6 TRD Sport 4WD. I was considering that being another vehicle the boys could share for now, myself included :)
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    I was a little sad when I saw my Accord listed online. I traded it on a late Friday evening and they had it listed early Monday. By Wednesday it was sold. 7yrs, 1mo, a record for me.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

dad23 said:

pensfan83 said:

Would you mind me asking what you're paying again for that one? I know you've probably said it in the past. They're advertising a $326/month payment for 36 months, $0 down here for a 2020 Tacoma Double Cab V6 TRD Sport 4WD. I was considering that being another vehicle the boys could share for now, myself included :)
    We did a one-pay lease but the equivalent monthly is $235-$240 if I recall correctly. 24 months/12K miles, matures next August. Just turned over 10K so we'll be under on mileage by probably 7K.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    edited November 2020
    Wow... Is the Prelude still for sale?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    pensfan83 said:

dad23 said:

pensfan83 said:

We did a one-pay lease but the equivalent monthly is $235-$240 if I recall correctly. 24 months/12K miles, matures next August. Just turned over 10K so we'll be under on mileage by probably 7K.
    My Tacoma goes back next September. I think I'm well over 10K over my miles.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy said:

pensfan83 said:

dad23 said:

pensfan83 said:

nyccarguy said:

pensfan83 said:

dad23 said:

pensfan83 said:

But you knew that, going in, and you chose the Toyota because of the low excess mileage charge.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

dad23 said:

Wow... Is the Prelude still for sale?

Not at this time, for what I was being offered I'll just keep it. The suspension is definitely in need of a refresh at this point in its life and I haven't driven it as much this year as a result. I'll probably slowly purchase parts over the winter and install in the spring.
    Just curious, one of our three seems to be leaning toward old school cars, like the Prelude, Supra or Celica. His dream car would be a Delorean, an obvious long shot, make me wonder where I went wrong with him ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    Range Rover... RETURN IT! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    T&C is finally home! Didn’t realize how badly it needed those lower control arms. Never even noticed they had gone bad. Just thought it was the van loosening up with age. It feels SO MUCH tighter now.

For FCA dragging their feet, and probably because I never once called him or gave him grief, the SA comped the oil change. With the $100 ded, $29 tire rotation, and tax, we paid $137 and FCA coughed up $3500. The timing chain cover leak is common on the 3.6, he told me, so they always look for it, and replacing that means the valve covers and intake also come out, so new gaskets there, too. Then we have the new driver’s seat frame and controls, passenger seatbelt, speed sensor, and those lower control arms.

In speaking with him about my rental, he explained that I had the Voyager, and he is of the opinion the Pacifica feels like an entirely different vehicle. Better suspension, parts quality, etc.

xwesx said:

Ditto

au1994 said:

xwesx said:

Ditto
    Feel free to jump over there and let the OP know...and why.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Oh, and SA shared a recent experience with the lifetime warranty where a woman’s vehicle (I failed to ask what model) needed a new engine. They gave her $7k check instead. She was tickled because the car was only worth $4k on trade.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Did someone mention a site that's free for looking up original stickers based on the VIN #? I need that site!

My perfect S4 might be one of the 10% that doesn't have a sport rear diff!!!!!! Bad luck!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    @qbrozen sounds like that warranty has already paid for itself! JRGo is having a similar experience with his F-250, although, it sounded like CarMax only charged him $3,000 or so for the five year warranty, which seems extremely low given the complexity of that vehicle. The one on my Murano was around $2,500, they never had to pay a claim, and I got most of it back when I sold it.
    corvette said:

@qbrozen sounds like that warranty has already paid for itself! JRGo is having a similar experience with his F-250, although, it sounded like CarMax only charged him $3,000 or so for the five year warranty, which seems extremely low given the complexity of that vehicle. The one on my Murano was around $2,500, they never had to pay a claim, and I got most of it back when I sold it.

Yup. Sure has. I'm quite a bit ahead when I add in the headlight issue I had a while back. I'm really surprised it covered the control arms. Would have thought that regular wear and tear. But, hey, good for me! lol.

@corvette,
    My take on JR's truck is that it was a 'deleted' diesel, so Ford wouldn't cover it.
    Carmax screwed up selling it, but made it right.

@corvette,
    My take on JR's truck is that it was a 'deleted' diesel, so Ford wouldn't cover it.
    Carmax screwed up selling it, but made it right.

I didn't think about that, but it makes sense.

Other than sticking him with a Focus (instead of a comparable vehicle) as a rental, I was impressed with how they treated them. IMO, a lot of dealerships would look at the 7-pin hitch (which was busted, but he bent back into shape) and said "no problem found," but they actually replaced it. Between the initial CEL fix (which, technically, was probably under CarMax's standard 90[?] day warranty), the new CEL, and replacing most of the front suspension to try to quell the death wobble, they will probably be out close to $10k, and he hasn't even had it six months!
    stickguy said:

corvette said:

tjc78 said:

That was a classic. Wonder if it ever sold? And the answer, as always with this vintage exotic, is get the manual tranny. And find someone like the Weezard to take care of it.
    And own a chain of frozen custard shops to generate the cash needed to pay for it all.

He has actually confirmed that the channel pays for all the cars coming and going. Freddy's must pay for his regular living expenses!

Just saw the latest episode where he actually picked up 4 hoopties the weezard had finished, and all total, the bill was $7,500. Though that seemed low because one of them was the Bentley that was there for 6 months.