Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    I do not want to bore anyone with a diatribe but a sparkplug is defiantly NOT just a sparkplug.

I have been "reading" spark plugs since I was about 12 years old. The ability to pull a sparkplug from an engine and scrutinize the tip to determine the running-conditions of an engine is somthing I honed from years of "reading" plugs from 100s of engines. (Rich/lean, timing early/retarded, leaky valveseals... etc)

The "heat range" of a sparkplug is extremely important. Ideally, we want the tip of the plug to be hot enough to burn off the crud without being so hot as to overheat and melt. This is accomplished with several design features including the length of the insulator (longer runs hotter) and the use of copper inside (very good heat conductor).

The Japanese (NGK and NipponDenso) started the copper-core plug designs back in the 1970s. Using a long insulator with copper-core.... they were able to build a sparkplug that came up to temp quickly but did not overheat. This is known as a "wide heat range" sparkplug.

Bosch invented the original sparkplug and has the very best products. They use high-grade nickle plating, high-purity ceramic insulators, specially-bonded copper cores and very pure platinum cernter electrodes.

Here is some additional data about
    Iridium Power. I read this as telling me that the inidium plugs have the ability to survive the punishment of high-compression, high-boost and high-voltage ignition systems. The 4.7L V8 does not fall into this catagory.
  • mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    Well, after a lot of thought and consideration, I traded the Dak today for a new Suzuki Vitara.

It was a very difficult decision to make but I felt that the dak was going to be a huge money pit later on in life and after the warranty ran out, I predicted I would see more repair bills that I could imagine.

I had scheduled an appointment for next week to check what else, rough 2-3 upshift and clunk in the front end. ALl last week I thought and thought and thought.....maybe I might be wrong here. But I've had WAY too many problems in 26k than is considered acceptable. I got a good deal and I guess the Dak came thru when it counted on the finance end as I got $2100 more for it than what I actually owed.

This is my first japanese vehicle so I'm going into this with an open mind. Obivously, all other factors being equal, I would much rather buy american any day. But when I am faced with repair bills AND a monthly payment, well, something there is simply out of whack.
    Believe me, I did not take this lightly nor was it a snap decision. But lets recount what I've had to deal with since day one and tell me if what I did was right.
    ....4 sets of rotors and drums
    ....3 tries to get the thing to idle correctly, fixed on third try...third time was a charm.
    ....2 reacalls.
    ....faulty camshaft reference sensor and one stall.
    ....faulty delay wiper module.
    ....rough shifting 45RFE that was never fixed...I had to literaly argue with the dealer that it was a problem....funny, I am the guy paying 22K and I had to argue to get them to realize it was a problem. I guess the customer wasn't right in this instance.
    .....clunk in front end that was fixed and stayed fixed for two weeks and then came back.
    ...."snapping" coming from rear leaf springs that required new clamps and shims to correct.
    ....two broken and one "lost" clip on the air cleaner housing. As I write this, the other clip is missing....again.
    ....mysterious "popping" and "snapping" in low speed turns.
    Bear in mind, this truck has never hauled appreciable weight in the bed nor has it towed a boat, camper, or other trailer.
    True, in the grand scheme of things, this isn't life threatening. But if I had to pay for all that, it would have run into the thousands already. This all happened in 2 years and 26K miles. I expeceted more, much more, and got less.

So, I did what I had to do. Its a shame because DC really has a good looking vehicle. Its just too bad cost cutting was done in areas that never should have seen an accountants knife.
    What is ironic is this. DC cut costs in product development but spends hundreds of millions in incentives and zero percent financing to bring people back to the dealer. Something just doesn't seem right there does it? But who am I anyway, really, just nothing more than a paying customer who today voted with his feet and pocketbook.

Good luck to all here. I know most of you love your Daks and don't let my posts influence you to think otherwise.
    I have gotten to know a fine group of people here, even bpeelbes when he is not insulting and "talking down" to others. Practice your method of delivery bpeebles and more folks will listen to you and respect what you have to say. Ahasher, your idle shall be good and firm and never a stall for you ever. SOmeday we'll have to hook up and have a brew or two and just shoot the breeze. Henne and his whiney hiney, I hope all the best and also hope your hiney stays quiet and does the job.
    Bookitty is a true gent and may your Dak outlast all of us put together.
    ANd to others whom I cannot recall, good luck and best wishes to all of you and your families and your Daks.
    I honestly believe I got a bad one because too many of you here have too many good comments about your Daks. Its too bad I was the one who got the Friday build vehicle but hey, thats life I guess.

To DC, the collusus wanna be..take this to heart. Unless you radically change your proceeses and ideas, you will certaily face doom. I would have stuck by you and your Dakota, but your dealer basically gave up on it and me a long time ago. I gave up this past week. Put the beancounters back in the accounting dept where they belong. Let the engineers do their job and make a good product that all can be proud of. Put good parts on it, stand behind it, and the world will beat a path to your door. QUit with the insane cost cutting and instead focus on making a better mousetrap. You have no choice because you cannot afford to pay people to buy cars and trucks and jeeps and minivans forever. The numbers simply won't let you.

May everyone have a happy and successful ownership with their Daks and god bless all of you here.

Mopar67
    Final post in Dodge Dakota town hall.
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Ben, it was always a pleasure to read your informative posts. I will not say good-bye, only good luck with your new ride. I hope that you will continue to follow these threads and continue to input from your wealth of knowledge. I can understand the frustrations of purchasing something that continues to plague one with inadequate performance and lack of reliability. Especially something that is as expensive as a car or truck. Please, let's hear from you. Tell us how you like the Suzuki. I have had several of their motorcycles and the 850 shaft drive was one of my favorite bikes. I'm assuming that it is the same manufacturer. Please stay in touch and here's wishing you and yours a happy and healthy Easter holiday.

Bookitty
    So sad to see you bail out of your Dak. I shall miss your "opposing viewpoints" that made for spirited discussions. I do not blame you after seeing your problem list for your Dakota.

I have owned several 'Asian' makes of vehicle and they all went well over 150,000 miles with little fuss. (My daughters Honda is over 204,000 miles and still starts every morning.) Body rust is the only problem I see with 'Asian' vehicles. All of mine were running fine when I got rid of them.... they were just rust-buckets.

Please remember to visit us occasionally and let us know how the Suzuki Vitara compares to the Dak.
  • nwdodgeguynwdodgeguy Member Posts: 22
    Hey all,

So, I recently inherited a Dakota from my late father and have a number of questions. I must preface by saying this will be my second American made vehicle. The first was an '87 Pontiac Bonneville I bought in 1991 and the engine caught on fire at about 80,000 miles. Last US vehicle I bought. I currently have a '89 Toyota Camry (everything original) with 287,000 and looks and drives just like I bought it in 1996 with 93,000 miles and have only put minimal money into it since for normal wear and tear.
    So, this Dakota now has 18,000 miles and is a 2001 SLT model. It is a 2wd, club cab, 4.7L V8 with an automatic 45RFE tranny. It has the Heavy Duty Service Group and a class IV Reciever.
    So here come the questions. My father was sold on the synthetic oils, and used Quaker State Full Synthetic 5w-30 with every oil change. I always put the cheapest 10w-30 in my car and no probs for 287,000 so I just had the dealer do an oil change and let them put whatever it is they use.
    Any thoughts on the Synthetics?
    Also, at low speed, over bumps, there is a "mouse type" squeek coming from behind the drivers seat somewhere. People riding with me have asked me what that is and I have no clue. Doesn't bother me, just wondered. I figure it is somewhere between the bed of the truck and the cab.
    Also, at 14,000 miles both headlights burned out?
    Is that normal?
    Is there a grill that I can buy to put over the foglights? They really take a beating and crack (I don't drive off road).
    My final question. The oil pressure gauge stays at the first HIGH mark on the gauge. It never goes higher than the mark, always sits right on it. The dealer said these are high compression engines and that is ok. I figured it should stay in the middle, but I just don't know.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!
    I must say that I like the seats. Very comfortable for my 6'1 frame and the power of the 4.7L is nice. I like the truck, but have concernes over reliability. I can't afford a money pit right now, and wonder if I should sell it. I'd like to keep though.
    Thanks!!
    NWDodgeguy
  • jhorljhorl Member Posts: 89
    I've got almost 26000 miles on my 2000 DAK 4x4 and starting to get the pedal pulse and grind everybody is talking about. I consider myself fortunate that I've made it this far but the time has come. I think i've decicded on ceramic pads but i'm not sure about which rotor to get. Slotted/Drilled/regular...just not sure. Any input would be appreciated....Also any group buys going on that I may get in on....
    Thanks
    John
    I decided to take the plunge and get out but your situation is different from mine and I'm sure you have different expectations for your Dak.

Just think it thru is about all the advice I can offer then go with what works best for you.
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    You only have 18,000 miles on the vehicle, you have warranty until 36,000 or 3 years. I'd suggest you try it for a while, who knows??? You might like it!! Rick
    to provide some feedback on the Vitara as it compares to the Dak.

I've only got 210 miles and three days under my belt with it. So here goes should anyone be interested. I have a built in bias for Mopar products so bear with me.

Climate control operation: Dak wins hands down. Suzuki, like many Asian makes, has too many quirks like bleeding residual air from the panel vents even though you may select floor, windshield or windshield/floor. The temp and fan sliders are not lit so in the darkness, you have to grope a little

Headlight clarity and pattern: Advantage slightly to Suzuki especially on high beams, the pattern is more spread out and very even when compared to the Dak. Downside, side to side adjustment is NOT possible! Why? Dunno, but if this thing takes a hit in the front end, the bodyshop better get out their micrometers to make it all fit properly.

Engine: Well, gosh, I am comparing a hamster to a thoroughbred so I'll focus here on service. It runs an aluminum block and head with chain driven DOHC on a cross flow type head. Engine mgmt is by Suzuki with port injection and EGR. Like our daks, the coils mount directly to the plugs with one screw and changing them should be a breeze. NGK or Denso plugs are recommended by Suzuki. CLutch has hydraulic activation (not good!). The major electical components are Denso (like the Daks) and thats good. The oil filter is in an absurd location right above the frame member. Thanks to the guy who managed to find that location for a filter, I'd like to meet him someday.
    AC is a rather small compressor by .......well I don't really know cause I cannot see the tag too well. Sanden or Denso perhaps? The ac has its own electric fan that kicks on when the AC clutch is engaged. Oh, and for those who don't like the fan clutch noise on a Dak when cold, take this to heart my friends. The Vitara does the exact same thing! SO, don't fault your dak too much on this ok? Its all part of the cooling process.

Interior amenities: I was more at home in the Dak. Apparently, someone in Japan thought it nice to include SQUARE cupholders that just don't work with round containers! OIl pressure and battery gauges are strangely absent here too. tsk tsk...bad bad bad move Suzuki! The radio came with a single CD player and it works fine but I like the Dak setup better where I chose whether or not the time or frequency displayed. Here, the time will be displayed whether or not you want it.

Other ammenities: Advantage to the Dak slightly. Underhood light on Vitara, not present nor is it an option. No glove box light either. And the prop rod for the hood is cheesy in my opinion.

MPG: Advantage Viatara only by virtue of a much smaller engine. But it supposedly gets only 22 city 25 hiway. i don't see this as an advantage since fuel mileage was never an issue on the Dak for my anyway.

Carrying capactiy issues; Remember, this is a mini ute therefore ya just can't put aunt martha in the back and off you go. Advantage to Dakota in total WEIGHT carrying ability and advantage to Vitara in useability. The seats fold down, and I can fit two medium size dog cages back there for hunting purposes. However, a gun rack is simply out of the question as there isn't a good place to mount one. Shucks!

Ride and handling: Advantage Suzuki again by virtue of smaller size. I thought the Dak did well in that aspect but the Vitara is more nimble and easiler to live with day to day in this regard.

Transmission: Not a fair comparision here since I had an auto in the Dak and this is a five speed. I willsay however, that I am done with the 45RFE and all its quirks and issues.

Design, overall: Yes, bpeebles, your voice and words hovered nearby when I went shopping. I visualized you saying, look for a full box frame and a manual 4wd and five speed. I learned and did just that. So that eliminated the CRV the RAV4, the KIA, and the Escape quickly. ALso bpeebles you know when they ask, "What will it take to get you to buythe car today"? Well, I got a free FSM, 2 free oil changes, and free floor mats! Yes, I think I did learn something here.
    Ok, the Vitara is body-on-frame with fully boxed full length frame members. Steering is rack and pinion with the rack mounted up front like the dak on the crossmember. The 4wd is indeed mechanical, which is fine by me. I think the low ratio is someting like 1.71 to 1??? Not sure of the exact numbers but a brief test showed it to be about as low as the dak was. There is some undercoating in key areas like wheel wells and such. Brake rotors are approx same thickness but same diameter as the DAK! And this is a much smaller vehicle. Hey, Chrysler, are you reading this?
    The GM influence (CAMI is a joint venture tween Suzuki and GM in Canada) is readily apparent in the feel of the brake pedal. Its mushy, provides little feedback, and likes to pauses before the binders start their work. At least the rotors haven't warped............yet. So in terms of brake feel and modulation, advantage goes to Dak.
    Emergency brake is a handle in the console.

Ride: Advantage to Vitara slightly. It bounds and pitches a lot less than the Dak, but I don't fault the Dak for the way it rode. I bought the Dak as a truck for god sakes and yes, I fully expected it to ride like a damn truck. All I am doing is simply saying the Vitara does ride better and corners slightly better. Simple as that.

Conclusion: Well there is none since I only had the Vitara since saturday and I had the Dak for two full years. I'll have to get back to you on a long term evaluation. WHat I like is the lack of mechanical issues that ruined my experience with the Dak. So, we'll have to just drive this thing and see what happens. There are some areas where the Dak and other american cars do well,such as climate control operation where the Asian makes just don't get it. But overall, I am pleased with my choice, very sad and unhappy that I did this out of necessity, not necessiarly by choice. But hey, I'll get over that and move on.

Good luck and god bless everyone here on town hall forum.
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Ben, good to hear from you and your comparison seemed objective and fair. But, we on this forum expect to hear from you no matter what you drive. Your opinions were always solid and well thought out. They were respected as well. Your experience is invaluable, and expertise is welcomed and needed on this forum. You have earned the right of
    "input" and paid dearly for it. So Ben, keep reading and stay in touch.

Bookitty
    I can assist in the following manner(s). I have 2 years and 26K of experience, both good and bad.
    And, drum roll please, I subscribed to ALLDATA for TSB. I can for one year only, look up any TSB for the 2000 Dak. SO if anyone has a dealer, like mine, that just doesn't understand and doesn not want to search a TSB, ya'll post here, I'll read and respond in kind.
    I figure its the least I can do to help others here who might have issues they cannot resolve with the dealer.
    Between the talent here and some detective work, I think collectively, we can be as good or better than any CR, C&D, and BBB.
    Good luck with your "Zuki"! We test drove one, seemed nice. I thought the motor (hamster) was rather busy at highway speeds, but other than that was a nice mini ute.
    We decided to stay with Mopar and ordered a Neon R/T but will purchase the wrap around DC warranty which covers everything like the factory 3 year 36,000 warranty. There is a $100 deductible and covers the little bugger for 7 years/100,000 miles (Best deal I found on this so far is $1040.00 for those interested).

Your problems with brakes as well as others has caused me to do a lot of web site reading. One thing I have picked up about disc brakes is quite a few people suggest that you never turn the rotors. If they are scored enough to require re surfacing or warped just replace them.
    We also talked about using a torque wrench in earlier posts and that came up quite often as well.
    Many other brands are having similar problems as the Dakotas and to me one common thread is the majority of the brake warping problems are the discs that do not have the integral hub/bearing races. The center section of our discs appear rather thin and I wonder if the flanges on the hubs are warping and over time the new discs are conforming to the warped flanges and in turn warping themselves.
    If there are others having to replace discs over and over maybe having the hub itself checked for runout would be a good idea.
    Well anyway you hopefully are rid of brake and transmission problems, hope you don't get bored with your new ride. Rick
    I will take you up on that offer...

My intermittent wipers have a mind of their own. It has been this way since I bought my 2000 Dak. but seems to be getting worse lately. (2wipes-long pause, 1wipe-short pause,another wipe-long pause, no wipe-another pause, 2wipes-short pause...etc etc)

I see that there is a TSB 08-022-01 intermittent wipers-eratic operation

Can you look up the text of this TSB for me?

Thanks!
    Nope, the one you quoted is it. The brief details involves installing a jumper harness but the TSB does not give the detail on exactly how or where this is done.
    If I recall, there is a device called the Central TImer MOdule that has some input in the operation of this wipers. Mine did this less than 30 days after delivery and the switch itself (wiper) was replaced and the problem went away.
    I'll check the TSB updates for further devlopments.

Next............

Addendum..........DUH.....would help if I read your whole post....my fault.
    Ok the details for some reason on how to do the repair are lacking. But here it is.
    SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
    Intermittent wipers may operate erratically. When the intermittent wipers are set, the wipe interval may speed up or change to constant wipe.

DIAGNOSIS:
    It the condition is present or customers indicate that condition has occurred as described above, perform the Repair Procedure. The parts package contains detailed instructions. Install the jumper harness using the procedures outlined in the instruction sheet.

Thats it...the TSB does not give any more details.

For Iowabigguy......yes, the hampster really runs hard at hiway speeds. Matter of fact, per 'Zuki, max HP comes at 6 grand.......whew! Thats a lot of hamspter feed. Below 3 grand, its a dog for sure though. Thank god for manual shift......!

Yes, I did a lot of checking on rotors and what I found dovetails exactly with your post. Bookitty advised I get a torque wrench and I will study the FSM on the 'zuki and see what the lug nut torque specs are. Plus, I plan on personally supervising every tire rotation and brake inspection and if I even see an impact wrench within 10 feet of my vehicle......well......lets not go there shall we?

Ok, Free TSBs to all takers, step right up!
    Thanks Mopar67 and Rick for your input. Still aside from all the other things I mentioned in my last post, I wonder if the other Dakota guys have their oil pressure gauge sitting up on the first HIGH mark. Is that normal for most or all of you with the 4.7L V8? That needle rarely ever moves from HIGH. Dealer says its fine but I'd like an objective opinion if it's not normal.
    Thanks all, I'm gonna hang on the the Dak thru it's warranty period and hope to have a better experience with American made vehicles. I like the truck, just don't trust the dealer. Had a few compliments on it. No one ever complimented the trusty Camry. LOL.
    Al
    The 4.7 is a highly developed piece of work. The tolerances are much closer than on typical production engines. Plus recall you have two camshafts mounted in each cylinder head and both are a long way from the oil pan. My dak had high pressure too (as opposed to the pretty low pressure of most of my older mopars)matter of fact, it never dipped below 40 psi even at idle in gear at a stoplight.
    Relax, you're oil pressure is good to go.
  • jhorljhorl Member Posts: 89
    I've got almost 26000 miles on my 2000 DAK 4x4 and starting to get the pedal pulse and grind everybody is talking about. I consider myself fortunate that I've made it this far but the time has come. I think i've decicded on ceramic pads but i'm not sure about which rotor to get. Slotted/Drilled/regular...just not sure. Any input would be appreciated....Also any group buys going on that I may get in on....
    Thanks
    John
  • hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    Sorry I have been on vacation and I just read the news. I can understand your frusration and am very supportive of your decision, after all its you that has to be happy right? Well please do stop in and see us sometimes. As you know this is a very active area and you will be greatly missed and I personally will miss the banter you helped provide.

Hope to see more of you.

Robert
    I found out a few days ago th we arae moving to CA in June and would like to know if anyone in the area has any dealer recomendations. I would also love to hear about trails and such in the area since I have the 4x4.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Robert
    Sorry I didnt post sooner on this question, it gets busy on here and people my miss a few questions. I had the 2000 4.7 and it was always about 3/4 betweent the low and high mark when driving. My 2001 4.7 is always right on the high mark when driving and so is every other 2001 that I have seen and the dealer says its normal (isnt it always)

I hope this helps ease your mind.

Robert
    If you are using the proper oil grade/viscosity as called for by the factory (5w-30), you will notice that when FULLY warmed up, that the pressure gauge will fall a bit at idle.... still very normal condition for this hi-tech engine.

The close clearances in the 4.7L V8 hemi engine are designed for the 5w30 oil.

The dealer that told you that a high-compression engine has somthing to do with oil pressure is just plain wrong. There is no conneciton whatsoever between the "squish-factor" and the oiling system.

BTW...MOPAR67... it is not the tolerances that are close... it is the clearances that are close. ("tolerances" are just a delta from nominal measurement specifications) But I understand what you are trying to say.
    THANK YOU!! I hope the extended warantee covers this "Central Timer Module" and "Jumper Harness"... I am beyond the 30,000 mile mark.

I guess it wont hurt to ask the dealer if it is covered.
  • ron35ron35 Member Posts: 134
    jhorl - Below is a post that I saved from some time back. I finally ended up getting rid of the car I was talking about but the rotors I mentioned were on the car for over 10 years without any trouble and hardly any wear.

After going through 2 sets of rotors for my wife's car (in two years), because of warpage, I ordered a set of crossed drilled rotors from a Canadian ompany which advertised in the back of Road and Track. I have had them for over 8 years with absolutely no trouble and my brake pads are lasting more than twice as long as before. I'm not sure if they have them for a Dakota but I used to be on the Ram mailing list and they had them for the 1500, 2500 and 3500.
    Several guys on the Ram list got them and were very pleased with them. If anyone does try them please let me know if they do have them, cause when I do have to replace the rotors on my new Dak that is definitely the way I'll go. They did go for about a hundred bucks but I believe you get what you
    pay for. The company is:

Best Auto Parts
    1537 Startop
    Glocester, ON K1B3W5
    Phone (613) 746-2378

They require specific info on your truck, so make sure you know what axle you have.
    They have no email link but you can call at the above number, or fax at
    613 746-2497 Attn Dan.

Ron35
  • eagleeye13eagleeye13 Member Posts: 29
    thank you for all your knowledge and input, If you were in CA. I think all of your problems would have qualified you for the Lemon Law. this might have saved you from buying a suzuki. all of that aside I and everyone else on this site would miss you great input into these sites so PLEASE hang around and keep putting your knowledge on this and the other sites. I'm now selling my '98 dak club cab with 79k + miles still original brakes and clutch, only normal maint and my rear-end problem rblt 3 times. Dealer is a 5 star but the rear-end dept has a turnover ??????

last rebld was done by their shop expert????
    My new QUAD is built and waiting on a train ride to so cal.
    thanks again for everyone's input.
    Lee
  • tuvtesttuvtest Member Posts: 237
    keep in mind the factory gauges are not precision insruments. I would consider them barely more than idiot lights. A good aftermarket gauge will give you an accurate picture of the pressure if you are concerned. What you are reading seems about right compared to my truck as well. As long as you show pressure, and it is consistantly the same, I would not be to worried about it
    FOrds were notorious for just sitting at a pre determined setting regardless of oil pressure in the engine. GM I don't know whether or not they read accurately but I'd rate mopar gauges more accurate than some. I understand the 2001 just has a sweep area w/o any numbers at all. My dak actually had numbers to look at.
    A good fairly accurate gauge is far better than idiot lights.
    Want to thank everyone that posted concerning my oil pressure gauge. I feel good about it now. My Dak seems to run fine where everything else is concerned. I appreciate how active this group is. I'll check in often and let you know how things go as the miles add up.
    Thanks again.
    Al
  • shawnh2shawnh2 Member Posts: 13
    I have a 3.9L engine and the oil pressure when cold is always at the high mark (top of normal I guess). When driving fully warmed it's just a little below and when sitting at a light fully warmed it drops a little below half. I gather by the rest of the posts that this is normalfor the 4.7L, but thought I'd let everyone know its the same for the 3.9L also.

Shawn
  • shawnh2shawnh2 Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2001 CC 3.9L auto. When the truck is cold and I put it in reverse, I hear a buzz for a couple seconds. Seems to me I read here that this is normal (I think a solenoid opens and closes?). My question is this normal, because I only hear it in reverse and only when the engine is cold.

Thanks
    Shawn
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    mopar67 Mar 30, 2002 6:41pm

I was saddened to read your goodbye, but I see that you won't be abandoning the Dakota gang after all! :-)

Good luck with your Vitara!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
    (shawnh2) You are correct, it is normal for the solenoids to "calibrate" themselves somtimes.
  • mtrialsmmtrialsm Member Posts: 159
    I changed my plugs Sat. Rather pleasant job, just
    take your time. I went with the Bosch +4, 4418s.
    Beautiful plugs! I was going to purchase the
    Autolite APP5224 but the 2 part stores I checked
    didn't have them, glad I went with the Bosch!
    Seems like the cold start "studders" are gone?
    Thanks for the info, bpeeples,,,,,,,,
    MM
  • ron35ron35 Member Posts: 134
    MM - I also put the Bosch +4 sparkplugs #4418 in my 2K Dak (4.7) about 700 miles ago. So far I am very pleased with them. About the only problem I had with the plug change was with the bracket that holds the 2 coolant lines in place. The catch that holds the lines in place (driver's side) broke. I got a new one from the dealer and it also broke during installation. I finally gave up and followed the advice of someone on the DML who suggested using a cable tie to secure the hoses in place. This appears to be a very poor design.

Ron35
    Well I have had the gen 2 pads for a week now and although with brand new pads you cant tell if they perform much better but I can tell you they make alot of dust. In one week I have to clean my rims, normally it takes a almost a month to get this bad. I bet thats why they say they are less likely to warp rotors with too much friction heat. Its because all the hot pad disappears immediatly.

Robert
    I've had the Suzuki over a week now and yup, the brown dust that was a frequent companion on the Dak seems to have "jumped ship" and arrived on the 'zuki.

On another note, I recall there have been some postings here about the fan roar on the Dak. Recall my Dak did this too. So does the "samauri hamster" usually when the engine is cold and after a hot start. So, don't despair friends, this too is not only unique to the Dakota.
    Well Last Saturday must have been spark plug day. I replaced the stock Champions with the Autolite 5224 just as an experiment based on input from Mopar67. Plugs that came out looked normal with some erosion of the electrode. One curious thing, the Champions have a crush gasket while the Autolites had none.
    I used anti seize on threads, although I had no problems with removal, as well as silicone grease on the "o" rings. Idle seem a little smoother but it is probably just the difference between plugs with 15,000 miles and new plugs.
    I experienced the same bracket breaking as ron35. I just used some small nylon ty-wraps to secure them in place. Glad I didn't bother buying a replacement only to have it break as well.
    I also did my second oil change using Mobile 1. The oil only had 3500 miles use but was really dirty looking. There has been no appreciable oil consumption in the 3500 miles using Mobile 1 however it also gets the yellow goop in the oil filler just like dino oil. Rick
    those autolites should have had a gasket. The plugs I bought had the gasket loose in the individual sparkplugs box so I had to thread it on the plug itself.
    Thanks for the info, The Autolite plugs came in sealed 2 plug per pack blister packs. Guess I should have stayed with the Champions. Time to fire off a nasty email to Autolite. See how this stuff happens, you have had good luck with Autolites. My first try yields apparent defective plugs so now I have a bad taste in my mouth for Autolite products. Rick
    I sent an email to autolite outlining my problem. I was polite and just outlined my problem. Got a prompt response with an apology from an engineer. He said he didn't understand how it happened but they were sending eight gaskets to me at the address I supplied. After a good laugh I sent another email saying thanks for the offer but If I had to disassemble the top half of my engine again to access the plugs it wouldn't be to install gaskets on the plugs already installed. I was looking for at least a set of platinum plugs to offset the wasted afternoon installing the plugs. Told him if this was impossible I'd just write it off to a bad experience and go back to Champion plugs. We'll see what happens next. Rick
    Interesting issue. I can't say I've had that problem with autolites. GIven that I have the samauri hamster now, zuki recommends NGK plugs which, by the way, have iridium (sp) in the tip.
    I priced some online and holy cow, I'm looking at something like 45 bucks just for four!
    Yeeeeeesh. I wonder if plain old platinum would work here?
    ANyway, I am sorry to hear you got shorted on the gaskets. Unless the plug is a taper seat design like on GM products and some Fords, you should have a gasket there.
    AUtolite should, just for goodwill, send you some platinums. But then again, they have to consider shareholder value so good luck on that one!

Lets see, 8 gaskets at a penny each.....hmmmmmm they should probably get a forum of shareholders together and see if they can all chip in a little here............
  • livnlrnlivnlrn Member Posts: 76
    Can someone look into their BOB and tell me what the color and where the easiest access to the wire is for my High beams? I need to splice into it for my emergency lights. 2000 4.7 Quad.
    Thanks
    Got another reply from Autolite. The reply implied I was either a liar or so stupid I couldn't tell that there was a gasket installed when I installed the plugs. He explained the manufacturing process for the bubble packs (which I purchased) preinstalled the gaskets and they couldn't fall off so they must have been on the plugs and I overlooked them! He must think I'm trying to flim flam him out of a free set of plugs. Told him I wouldn't be bothering him any more as I wouldn't be using Autolite products again. I offered to return the plugs to him for his inspection at my expense after I removed them and reinstalled Champion plugs.
    This is a classic example of how not to win customer loyalty. If they had sent me a set of plugs I most likely would continue using their product. Now I never will but I'm only one small consumer I guess! Rick
    Thats why I sold the Dak, just too many problems and not enough "what can we do to make it right" from the dealer and Chrysler itself.

Nonetheless, I have 2 years and 26K of driving experience under my belt and have been asked by Karen S and Bookitty to contribute experiences and some technical stuff when necessary.

SOrry to hear bout Autolite but I don't blame you. They cannot afford to make good on their screwup then they don't need you to spend any more money on their products.

NGK seems like a well made plug, albeit expensive. I never had too much luck with Champions or AC (unless it was dads GM stuff). Although a Homelite chainsaw runs pretty well with a cj8 champ in there!
    (livnlrn) Since we both park in the same lot at work... I took the time to look this up for you in the BOB.

Keep in mind that the POWER (+12V) is ALWAYS sent to the headlamp bulbs and the GROUND is switched at the dimmer switch. (Grounding the proper wire completes the circuit thus illuminating the proper filiment within the bulb) You must take this into account as you design your emergency light system.

The LOW beam ground wire color is "VT/WT"
    The HIGH beam ground wire color is "RD/OR"

The constant POWER (+12V) to the headlights is;
    LEFT = "RD/TN" (thru fuse 'B' in the PDC)
    RIGHT = "RD/LG"(thru fuse 'G' in the PDC)

(PDC is the "Power Distribution Center" under the hood.)
    Hey all,
    Just a quick question. When stopped and the engine running, my Dak rumbles or vibrates so that you feel it in the cab. It's not a consistant rumble, kinda gets worse and then settles a bit and gets worse. It's not a big deal, but just wanted to know if if that's a normal thing and the rest of you guys get that. The Dak is a 4.7 V8. I've never had a vehicle do that, but then I've never had a V8 or a truck before. Thanks.
  • spike50spike50 Member Posts: 481
    Last fall something changed in my drive train that increased the amount of vibration and noise felt and heard in the cab. I have a '00 4.7L with the 5 sp. and about 28K on it today. This sensation in the steering wheel, pedals, floor boards and gear shift changes with engine speed and load (hauling 1,000 lbs) but can be reproduced while sitting still.

To date, spectral analysis of the oil, done with every oil change, since the 10K mark has not indicated abnormal metal wear and there's no smoking exhaust but there is definitely more vibration and noise. I've also check the exhaust system and it has not shifted and is not in contact with the floor boards, etc. - all is normal. Maybe something bent and that would explain the vibration with a lack of metal wear. Trips on relatively flat terrain, cruise-controlled at sub-70 mph produce 20-22 mpg so that part of it seems fine.
  • sunburnsunburn Member Posts: 319
    spike50 - my '02 4.7L/auto developed a drivetrain noise at around 600 miles. It only happens under load and is most noticable around 2000 RPM. It vibrates/resonates through the floor, pedals, and steering wheel. The dealer calls it exhaust drone. They said that there isn't a fix...yet. Maybe DC has a fix in the works. I'm not holding my breath.
  • slr9589slr9589 Member Posts: 121
    hi all,
    Just replaced the factory treads on my 00,quad,4.7,5 spd...at roughly 39k. Put on Dayton Timberline A/T's....Now with a thousand miles on them . had heavy rains and they performed very well.Road noise is minimal and mpg's seem right about where they were with the 215x75's.
    so far all else is ok.
    Sorry to hear rumors of the dakota demise ...kindah following the path of the toyota T 100.
    There is no sound with my vibration/rumbling. You just feel it. It's not in the pedals or steering wheel, just thru the seats, floor and the doors you feel it. I've got 18,500K on the Dak. You only feel it when stopped. No load in the bed, just empty and stopped. Truck runs fine otherwise, I just wondered if it was even worth going to the dealer to have them try to figure it out, as they would likely have no idea and I would waste a ton of time. My first thought was a problem with a motor mount. Well, thanks to Spike50 and Sunburn for the response. I'm just gonna live with it for now, as long as it doesn't get worse.
  • spike50spike50 Member Posts: 481
    nwdodgeguy - I had forgotten to mention that I did check the motor mounts (staggered) on each side of the engine and the cross brace under the transmission. I figured that the problem had to be engine / transmission related if I could reproduce the vibration sitting still with or without having the clutch pushed in. I know this sounds potentially life threatening but I had my 18 yr old son (he's totalled two cars and lost his license for a year - other reasons) rev the engine while I was crawling around underneath checking the motor mounts and exhaust (hot). Again, all appeared normal at the time and it hasn't changed in the last six months.
This discussion has been closed.