Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2019 Momentum or 2016 Inscription

edmunduser201edmunduser201 Member Posts: 22
edited November 2020 in Volvo
Need some advice which one to go from the two options I have. But before I share details, there is one catch that I might need this vehicle for ~18months or so and I might have a situation to sell it then. So ease-of-sale is important. Here are the options

1- 2019/T5/Momentum/22kmiles/~40k$$/27monthsFactoryWarrantyRemaining
2-2016/T6/Inscription/81kmiles/~26k$$/OutOfFactoryWarranty

2016 is little more loaded (given Inscription) than 2019 but has everything I need with my choice of color combination and ~15k cheaper than 2019.
2019 is under factory warranty and not my choice of color but it has everything else. But a lot more expensive.

I would not drive more than 10k/year. I am inclining towards 2016 but my only worry is ease-of-sale after let's say 18 months. Would that be a problem with 2016? What do you suggest?

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,289

Need some advice which one to go from the two options I have. But before I share details, there is one catch that I might need this vehicle for ~18months or so and I might have a situation to sell it then. So ease-of-sale is important. Here are the options

1- 2019/T5/Momentum/22kmiles/~40k$$/27monthsFactoryWarrantyRemaining
    2-2016/T6/Inscription/81kmiles/~26k$$/OutOfFactoryWarranty

2016 is little more loaded (given Inscription) than 2019 but has everything I need with my choice of color combination and ~15k cheaper than 2019.
    2019 is under factory warranty and not my choice of color but it has everything else. But a lot more expensive.

I would not drive more than 10k/year. I am inclining towards 2016 but my only worry is ease-of-sale after let's say 18 months. Would that be a problem with 2016? What do you suggest?

Look at it this way - the 2019 is at the beginning of the depreciation curve, while the 2016 has probably flattened out. Meaning, you'll likely lose less money on the 2016 for only 18 months.

Either way, expect to lose money.

The other side of the coin - there is more risk of maintenance / service items on the older car.

You need to consider total cost of ownership for the 18 months.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550
    my gut says the 2019 will depreciate more. But in that time and miles, the 2016 is unlikely to give much trouble. Only worry would be checking the 2016 engine to make sure it was not one that had an open issue with the rings. but if so, could be under extended warranty on that.

in either case, if I wanted something to keep that short term at minimum cost, it would not be a Volvo.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• edmunduser201edmunduser201 Member Posts: 22
    Appreciate your timely response. So covering the maintenance cost, 2016 should be a better choice. Could I have a tough time selling it 18months down the line, considering no major issues?

Depreciating factor was in my mind too but if I compare the 2019 with other 2017/2018 xc90 with around same miles or even more, they are around 40k and the sticker price for 2019 was 60k, so I think it has depreciated quite a bit already.

"in either case, if I wanted something to keep that short term at minimum cost, it would not be a Volvo" LOL yes, I had that thought in mind too but I just wanted to drive a nice vehicle and after test driving few, Volvo stands out.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550
    one thing to keep in mind when comparing is the model generation. the 2016 and 2019 are the same generation, so you are not comparing an "old" design to a new one. Normally that is a plus, but from following some forums, I believe the 2016s (1st year) had some issues that were addressed in later model years. Still same basic car though. But, not all cars suffered from the issues, and also possible any problems were resolved.

debating this some more, in your situation, I might just go with the new one. Later model year will work in your favor, and no worries about an expensive problem cropping up. And you get the upgrades they incorporated, and it will still be relatively new when you sell. Sounds like a good deal, so that now has my vote.

plus, if you decide to keep it longer, should not be a worry

heck, at this point, I almost convinced myself to buy the 2019 if you don't want it!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• cduteaucduteau Member Posts: 23
    Looking to buy 2019 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum AWD
    Zip code 07836
    Selling Price $48,200
    Advance package and heated seats package
    Any ideas of value on this car?
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,289
    cduteau said:

Looking to buy 2019 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum AWD
    Zip code 07836
    Selling Price $48,200
    Advance package and heated seats package
    Any ideas of value on this car?

Use the price checker link in my signature block.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4