Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    End-of-lease story on the Tacoma:

Tacoma lease ends on 12/24. It lived in the city for a year, where they park by feel, so not perfect. Thought I'd try to sell it to a dealer, to get out of the US Bank lease, and not have to deal with the lease end stuff/charges.

Called Carmax. Sure, we can buy out your lease.. in for an appointment, get the whole spiel.. I kept saying, this is a US Bank lease.. don't you need my lease info to get a payoff? Sure, after we get you a price. After 30 minutes, comes out with the offer sheet ($29K). Looks good, but I need to know if this is more than US Bank will sell it to you for (as USB won't give me a dealer buyout price, just mine). Blank stare.

Let's go to the business office. I don't even get the whole sentence out of my mouth, before the guy says, USBank won't sell it to us. Sigh...

Call US Bank again, yesterday. Carmax says they you won't sell to them. Where can I sell my lease? Phone rep: Just about any new car dealer. We just don't deal with used car dealers. Great!

Call the UCM at my Toyota dealer. Can you buy out a US Bank lease? Sure, bring it out. Bring it out, he looks at the vehicle, takes my lease account info. Comes back ten minutes later: USBank won't sell me the vehicle. In fact, they told him they won't sell it to any dealer. The UCM says they are a pain, and if I return the car to the dealership at lease end, they won't even offer it to him.

So, looks like I get to drive the Tacoma for a month, and just turn it in. Fortunately, it is under mileage. Big sigh.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,388
    stickguy said:

28, roughly my conceptual plan options. Just not as fancy a car on the lease!

Is it bad that I don't consider the BMW fancy anymore since they lease for the price of a Subaru?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    I leased a Volvo S40 once and it was through USBank. Traded it on a Passat wagon and don’t remember it being a problem. What I do remember is if you were a day late on the payment, they’d start calling you. This was 2004-5 timeframe so I was still mailing my bills and not using any type of online bill pay. That was in its infancy and I just didn’t trust it yet.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646

OK, in our effort to downsize we parted with our trusty 2003 Trail Blazer with 155,000 miles and traded in our 2007 Lexus ES 350 last week. Sitting side by side in out garage now is our 2016 CRV EXL with a whopping 15,000 miles....and.....Another CRV! this one is a white 2020 CRV EX...no leather! Hopefully I'll resist the urge to buy a third car that looks like fun. The Trailblazer was starting to nickle and dime us and so was the Lexus. Those nickles and dimes are more like 1000.00 every time something would happen. Last winter on a dry street, the TrailBlazer decided to throw itself into 4WD low range all by itself going 40 MPH! That was 1200.00! The Lexus dropped the passenger side window off it's track! Get this.....In order to fix this the entire glass and regulator need to be replaced! Lexus wanted 1000.00! I had them just disable it since I rarely lower that window anyway! Yes, I disclosed this to my old store where I traded it in. The 2020 CRV is MUCH different than the 2016 in a lot of ways. The technology is amazing and complex too! I'm still trying to figure it out. It has adaptive cruise control that is so spooky to use I doubt that I ever will. I was appalled to learn it has no CD player! How will I listen to my massive collection of over 300 CDS? It has Apple Play (whatever that is?) I have a newer I Phone. Oh man, I miss my 1952 Chevy!

LOL, I hear you. I believe Apple Car Play is a piece of fruit you juggle to occupy yourself when you can’t figure out how to work the entertainment system.

I’ve got the Apple and Android stuff in my Kia but My Trac phone is useless with it.

Those CRVs are nice. My coworker just traded in his beloved 2009 on a 2020 that the dealer said was a loaner with 7,000 miles. He liked it until the various electronic features and radio started glitching. He’s had it back about a half dozen times with no luck. They told him they put a new radio in for him but he found out later the security code was the same as before so he thinks they were lying. He’s starting to suspect that this was a lemon buy back not a service loaner.

I told him to sell it to Carvana while prices were so high but he hemmed and hawed and I think the opportunity has passed.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    edited November 2020
    Is the buyout low enough that you could buy it yourself and pay the sales tax, then sell it to CarMax? I’ve heard US Bank does its darnedest to make money on the back end by finding minor imperfections or normal wear and charging them as “damage.”
    kyfdx said:

So, hive mind, thinking about potential replacements for the i3. Not really thinking of doing anything now, but definitely all over the place a la @stickguy.

Here is what I am thinking off the top of my head.
    (1) Buy an older daily driver something

3) SR V6 4WD Double Cab... Killer residuals. MSRP is $34,XXX.
    If I'm going to do it, I want the goodies of the Sport or TRD Off Road Premium. But even the residuals on those are pretty decent.
    corvette said:

Is the buyout low enough that you could buy it yourself and pay the sales tax, then sell it to CarMax? I’ve heard US Bank does its darnedest to make money on the back end by finding minor imperfections or normal wear and charging them as “damage.”

No.. the residual was an insane 82% for 36/12. Carmax's offer was just about enough for my payoff, minus the tax.. but, that would be nearly $1800 more.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,029
    kyfdx said:

Tacoma lease ends on 12/24. It lived in the city for a year, where they park by feel, so not perfect. Thought I'd try to sell it to a dealer, to get out of the US Bank lease, and not have to deal with the lease end stuff/charges.

Called Carmax. Sure, we can buy out your lease.. in for an appointment, get the whole spiel.. I kept saying, this is a US Bank lease.. don't you need my lease info to get a payoff? Sure, after we get you a price. After 30 minutes, comes out with the offer sheet ($29K). Looks good, but I need to know if this is more than US Bank will sell it to you for (as USB won't give me a dealer buyout price, just mine). Blank stare.

Let's go to the business office. I don't even get the whole sentence out of my mouth, before the guy says, USBank won't sell it to us. Sigh...

Call US Bank again, yesterday. Carmax says they you won't sell to them. Where can I sell my lease? Phone rep: Just about any new car dealer. We just don't deal with used car dealers. Great!

Call the UCM at my Toyota dealer. Can you buy out a US Bank lease? Sure, bring it out. Bring it out, he looks at the vehicle, takes my lease account info. Comes back ten minutes later: USBank won't sell me the vehicle. In fact, they told him they won't sell it to any dealer. The UCM says they are a pain, and if I return the car to the dealership at lease end, they won't even offer it to him.

So, looks like I get to drive the Tacoma for a month, and just turn it in. Fortunately, it is under mileage. Big sigh.

kyfdx said:

You wouldn't have had any of these issues had the lease been issued by TFS?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

You wouldn't have had any of these issues had the lease been issued by TFS?
    No, but my lease payment would have been $150/mo. higher...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

My son's replacement for the Tacoma lease. He says he'll pay me for it, by the end of the year. :o

2012 Forester 2.5X w/manual transmission
    125K miles.
    Fairly well equipped... power everything... auto-dimming/compass mirror.

It really does look as good as the picture. Single owner, with the Carfax showing a ton of maintenance, including a new clutch at 97K miles.

$6315 + $250 doc fee + tax/title.

I see you whittled the seller down a few bucks, good. Looks in good shape and if you have a complete service history, it’s likely a winner. Sadly, every used car I’ve ever bought had zero records.

Your son is lucky to have a loan from the bank of dad.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

kyfdx said:

My son's replacement for the Tacoma lease. He says he'll pay me for it, by the end of the year. :o

125K miles.

It really does look as good as the picture. Single owner, with the Carfax showing a ton of maintenance, including a new clutch at 97K miles.

I see you whittled the seller down a few bucks, good. Looks in good shape and if you have a complete service history, it’s likely a winner. Sadly, every used car I’ve ever bought had zero records.

Your son is lucky to have a loan from the bank of dad.
    He actually has the cash... but, he is angling for a loan for part of it, so he still has some cash.. ;)

The Carfax on this model was extremely detailed. Otherwise, we wouldn't have records. It's going to my indy mechanic next week for an oil change, and a general look over.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

So, hive mind, thinking about potential replacements for the i3. Not really thinking of doing anything now, but definitely all over the place a la @stickguy.

If I'm going to do it, I want the goodies of the Sport or TRD Off Road Premium. But even the residuals on those are pretty decent.
    Highly recommend... the LED headlights on the Tundra are awesome, and I’m sure the Tacoma offers a similar improvement.
    edited November 2020

stickguy said:

Is it bad that I don't consider the BMW fancy anymore since they lease for the price of a Subaru?
    Not sure if thats an indictment on BMW or Subaru :smile:

I’ve always found Subarus a great bang for the buck.

I’m going to solicit some quotes on X3’s both new and loaners. No idea what I should expect!

au1994 said:

stickguy said:

I’m going to solicit some quotes on X3’s both new and loaners. No idea what I should suspect!
    Lease quotes? I wouldn't expect much. BMW SUV residuals are not very good.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

Agree. Great deals on the SR but its just a little too barebones for me. SR5 adds a bit more and I might consider one of those if they lease insanely. That TRD Sport is pretty well equipped for the $$.

I miscalculated a bit, I think on a 24 month lease I could be in the $350 range with first month and MSDs at signing on a $44k Tacoma Sport Premium Double Cab 4x4 with Advanced Tech etc.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    kyfdx said:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

kyfdx said:

au1994 said:

stickguy said:

I’m going to solicit some quotes on X3’s both new and loaners. No idea what I should suspect!
    Lease quotes? I wouldn't expect much. BMW SUV residuals are not very good.
    Yeah, I looked over on the lease thread and saw residuals of 55 and 56% for 20’s and 21’s.

Just not a lot of SUV’s in that class leasing well right now.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    I like dealers that list everything out on the Carfax. comes in very handy when looking at used cars.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604

I think the real question isn't about the best deal, but if you want to drive a truck every day. It is a midsize, sure, but even those are long and not so easy to park in Seattle. Even the shortest Tacoma is way longer than a 4Runner.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

tifighter said:

I think the real question isn't about the best deal, but if you want to drive a truck every day. It is a midsize, sure, but even those are long and not so easy to park in Seattle. Even the shortest Tacoma is way longer than a 4Runner.

For sure - and it is a good point.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    kyfdx said:

125K miles.

Man, that's great! I think it should be a solid choice for your son. I wouldn't mind getting something like that for my own kids.... but I found out recently that my son doesn't really like driving manual.... :(
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Even my long time ago Nissan PU (a 1990 xtra cab with the jump seats) which seems tiny by todays PU standards, was about the length a prior generation Camry. 190" (oddly until I checked, I thought it was about a foot longer than that). But bed had plenty of room.

Someone needs to make a truck this size again. Shorter than my TLX was.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    stickguy said:

I like dealers that list everything out on the Carfax. comes in very handy when looking at used cars.

Car Fax is a good starting point. The 2010 Honda CPO Pilot we purchased in 2013 had a clean fax. The Honda dealer even provided its maintenance history and what they did to it to CPO certify it before putting it on the lot for sale. Brake pads front and rear, oil change, alignment, wiper blades, etc. Yet I found out it had been wrecked. Shame on me for not looking closer. Fortunately I went back to the dealer and they renegotiated the deal , reduced the price by $1500 and provided a guaranty that if anything went wrong that was accident related they would fix it. It turned out to be an excellent buy and served us well.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Oh, I don't trust that the Carfax shows all accidents or damage, or even much maintenance. But it is really nice when that does show up. My Volvo when I bought it had always gone to a dealer that broke it out, so I knew exactly when brake fluid, air filter, etc. had been changed. And some other non-routine odds and ends.

If you don't see that and don't get records (which you rarely do) you pretty much have to assume nothing was done and it needs everything!

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    @sda,
    How did you find out the Pilot had 'been wrecked'?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    edited November 2020

@sda,
    How did you find out the Pilot had 'been wrecked'?

As luck would have it, when I got the Pilot home I reached for the owner’s manual. There was a separate envelope underneath the manual that was from that dealer’s body shop. It gave the previous owner’s info and a detailed repair list. $5500 in damages. Hit something right front, stated appeared to be an animal. I suspect a deer. I found out the original owner lived in a neighborhood about 3 miles from us. The next evening I went back to the dealer and expressed my disappointment. I was assured they wouldn’t sell any car nor certify it as CPO if it had structural damage.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

edited November 2020
    stickguy said:

Oh, I don't trust that the Carfax shows all accidents or damage, or even much maintenance. But it is really nice when that does show up. My Volvo when I bought it had always gone to a dealer that broke it out, so I knew exactly when brake fluid, air filter, etc. had been changed. And some other non-routine odds and ends.

If you don't see that and don't get records (which you rarely do) you pretty much have to assume nothing was done and it needs everything!

CarFax only records information sent by reporting partners. DMV records, dealers who cooperate, body shops that work for insurance companies. Joe’s body shop and frozen custard stand might not report.

I’m thinking of running a CarFax on my old PT Crusier which was hit by a power company truck and repaired in my indie body shop. The company wrote me a check but didn’t know where the repairs were done.

I wonder if the fender bender would show up?

This could be my next Mustang.

https://youtu.be/U__J3JljT1Y

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    @28firefighter

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve grown to love my Tacoma over the last 14 months. It is definitely an acquired taste. The utility of it (for me) makes up for the choppy ride (the suspension has settled over the past 26,500 miles). I do love the way it looks. If you are going to look at a high optioned Short Bed Sport or Off Road, definitely take it for a decent test drive back to back with a 4Runner.

I had to pick up this Grease Trap for a customer this afternoon. Even cooler is it was loaded in with a forklift.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Good feedback - thanks, @nyccarguy. In part that is why I was looking at the off-road as I knew the suspension would be a bit softer for daily driving use. I don't think a 4Runner would be in serious consideration for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the price point up here in the PNW.
    I should have taken a picture of our Tacoma with half a cow in the (short) bed. Tight fit.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    My accident in 2018 ended up on the Carfax report that I got from the lawyer I used to get paid for diminished value of the Golf. Didn't take long to show up either. But decided to keep it so really didn't care. Now, it's all fixed up and will remain in our stable for at least the next year or until something big goes wrong.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Drove a 2020 BMW 330i at work the other day and it was...AMAZING!!! Drove so much better than any MB I've ever driven. A very tight vehicle. In Sport mode, the acceleration was exhilarating honestly. Seats were quite comfortable and held me in just fine. All in all, a perfect vehicle except it was a bit too long for me. Fun, that's for sure.
    Was at the BMW/Mini store today and saw the perfect Mini Cooper S 2-door. Was dark silver with a white top and white caps on the side view mirrors. Price was like $34,500 but it did have an $8500 package on it with lots of stuff. All I really wanted was a sun/moon roof, SAT radio(a year subscription), and the Harman Kardan audio system. The rest of the package was stuff that I had no interest in. Looks to be a fun vehicle. Even tough I say I want "cheap to keep" next time, that Mini Cooper called out to me just like the VW GTI and the new VW Taos does. When the time comes, think it's going to be really hard to pick one. I guess it'll come down to the test drives again, just like with the Golf. I'll do them all back to back and then, I'll know...I'll just know. And that'll be it. But next purchase, think it'll be for a longer time of ownership due to the act that I'm only putting on maybe 4k miles/year at best. A good ting.
    Lastly, back in the early part of my rental car employment, we had to drive those little Fiat's up to Orlando during a rain storm. Seriously, it was the most unsafe vehicle I've ever driven in the rain in my life! It was all over the road and since it was windy from a cold front blowing in, it was getting pushed all around. Awful driving vehicle, just awful. The 500X I drove last year was much more stable on the road and felt so much more secure. Guessing the wider tires helped plus being a CUV, it was raised a bit off the ground which also helped. Wasn't awful at all.
    Best part of my job is getting to drive so many different kinds of vehicles. All on their dime to!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

putting something in the bed of a PU is childs play. When I got my foosball table years ago, I ordered it and had to pick it up at a freight warehouse (not sure why it wasn't home delivery. Probably cost more.) Anyway, I get there and some guy fetches the big box, with a forklift. And then stuffed it straight into the back of my Quest van, straight off the forks. Just squeezed it in (a tight fit), tipped it off, and that was it. never had to touch the box. I was shocked he got it in there without hitting anything, but he did.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    My first car (except mine was an automatic and blue), inherited from my brother who had replaced it with a newer Laser XT in a manual with T-tops.

Brings back memories.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-chrysler-laser-20/

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

I like that one.

Okay, got the punches for @isellhondas and @kyfdx recorded. @andres3 - did your deal go through? If so, year and mileage for the punch list? Thanks!
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    A new Civic is always fun news, IMO.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34632851/2022-honda-civic-prototype-revealed/

Looks to be on the conservative side, but in a good way. As always, the Si and Type R reveals will be interesting.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790

This could be my next Mustang.

https://youtu.be/U__J3JljT1Y

In ten years. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    breld said:

My first car (except mine was an automatic and blue), inherited from my brother who had replaced it with a newer Laser XT in a manual with T-tops.

Brings back memories.

Totally forgot I posted questions on that back on 11/11. Haha. Seller answered but I didn’t get a notification. It is a funky cool car.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    Fiat seller is being elusive. This is why I don’t like private sellers. They are typically so unreliable and unwilling to put forth any effort.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

breld said:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34632851/2022-honda-civic-prototype-revealed/

Looks to be on the conservative side, but in a good way. As always, the Si and Type R reveals will be interesting.

I like it a lot. Perfect size, and depending on how they configure the trims, might even get a package available the way I want it. The primary issue I had with the last model was the driver's seat. Even the power version did not fit me right IIRC. But better than the manual seat which was just awful.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    xwesx said:

tjc78 said:

No, it's not but it was principal.

Yes, we picked it up Sat morning. We left a little before 9 and were back before 3.

Okay, so two follow-on questions:

1. Did your wife end up driving the XC90 back?
    2. If so, did she have a huge grin on her face when you arrived home?

:D
    Yes she did drive it back and I could tell she really enjoyed it. When I pulled in the garage and she pulled up behind I could hear her breaking in the stereo.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    I like the Laser too. For me, it’s missing the one required option... digital dash. Any funky 80s car needs that. What’s up with the crank windows? Spent the money for the pen interior and cheaper out in the windows?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

breld said:

Looks like they dialed back the overstyling a bit so that's a plus.

Was at the BMW/Mini store today and saw the perfect Mini Cooper S 2-door. Was dark silver with a white top and white caps on the side view mirrors. Price was like $34,500 but it did have an $8500 package on it with lots of stuff. All I really wanted was a sun/moon roof, SAT radio(a year subscription), and the Harman Kardan audio system. The rest of the package was stuff that I had no interest in. Looks to be a fun vehicle. Even tough I say I want "cheap to keep" next time, that Mini Cooper called out to me just like the VW GTI and the new VW Taos does.

From what I understand, Minis (being BMWs under the skin) are anything but cheap to keep. An acquaintance recently had her 2013 with 20K miles in for a look at the brakes. $1500 later she was out the door.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271
    @roadburner

Is the S55 crank hub failure an issue for all S55 vs tuned?
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271
    corvette said:

Okay, got the punches for @isellhondas and @kyfdx recorded. @andres3 - did your deal go through? If so, year and mileage for the punch list? Thanks!

For some strange reason, I am anticipating a pi$$ing match with the NV BMW dealer over the S4. No idea why I think that 😁
    breld said:

Brings back memories.

Wasn’t that an all Chrysler design that sandwiched in between various Mitsubishi based models? If so it makes it kind of unique.