Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,464
    qbrozen said:

I never knew they gave away such things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUxZMhwjFQw

Why would they give away a right hand drive car in this country?😳

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Only $34,995!

Wonder what it’s worth today?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    qbrozen said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUxZMhwjFQw

I never thought Drew Cary would be a game show host, and I didn’t realize he had been doing it so long.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    ab348 said:

Picked up these things today and they made short work of gathering about 8 bags of leaves. They look like kids toys but they actually work!

I have a leaf blower and with just a quick switch of attachments it turns into a sucker that picks up the leaves and mulches them them for easy dumping into a bag.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

driver100 said:

Stick, when we play it is more like this (1 minute):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6MyDfJUTKg
    .....and I never where a horizontal striped shirt when playing.

You should, it would upset your opponent and give you an edge.

stickguy said:

Only $34,995!

Wonder what it’s worth today?

Game shows usually over price the prizes they give out. Usually giving the MSRP which most items go for somewhat under. As for cars like that they likely use some appraiser service which usually doesn't reflect true market value.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    That couple are pretty good in their videos. The Villages might not be for everyone but it seems to suit them.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I watched a bunch of there stuff. Kinda cute. And they seem exactly like what I expected typical residents there to be.

Yesterday I watched 10 minutes of them showing off a fancy new golf cart, then driving it around back and forth over a newly opened cart bridge over a main road (chitty chatty bridge? Something like that)

Probably not for me and the wife, but can see why lots of people are attracted to that place. Lots of activities and houses seem nice, and not terribly expensive.

I watched a video of them talking about the things they don't like about living there. Mostly small things and they made it clear that for them the positives outweigh the negatives, but there are a lot of restrictions and rules apparently. No garages or basements, so no place for things like a canoe or a boat. I dunno where you would put a lawnmower (apparently most people use a service because keeping the property in a certain condition is one of the rules too). Plus things like the summer heat, the lack of proximity to malls and supermarkets, and the death rate (since everybody is a certain age and dying is not uncommon).

They did another video where they tallied up the cost of living there and it was about $3300/mo., not including a mortgage or car payment.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    stickguy said:

I watched a bunch of there stuff. Kinda cute. And they seem exactly like what I expected typical residents there to be.

Yesterday I watched 10 minutes of them showing off a fancy new golf cart, then driving it around back and forth over a newly opened cart bridge over a main road (chitty chatty bridge? Something like that)

Probably not for me and the wife, but can see why lots of people are attracted to that place. Lots of activities and houses seem nice, and not terribly expensive.

They appear to be what my father used to refer to as “Professional Old People.” I’d prefer not to live there if other options were available- such as having a rusty railroad spike hammered into my skull with a ten pound sledgehammer.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I have a leaf blower and with just a quick switch of attachments it turns into a sucker that picks up the leaves and mulches them them for easy dumping into a bag.

Neighbor up the street has one of those and he was in the middle of using it yesterday when I went out. I had previously blown them all into piles. I did my leaves and was done while he was still sucking and dumping. When you have as many leaves as this neighborhood does that can get rather tedious.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    stickguy said:

Rain sending wipers is one thing I miss on the RDX. my TLX for some reason did have them.</blockquot

Our Lexus had rain sensing wipers and I never used them. Someone please tell me what I was missing? I may be getting older but I can still tell when I need to switch on my wipers!

Those houses down there all seem to have garages. Mostly 2 car. Maybe just the villa style (more like apartments) don’t? I go to curious and looked at listings and the dingles did. No basements though, but that is fine by me!

All those communities have lots of regulations. Part of the appeal for many people. Almost reminds me of living on a land based cruise ship!

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964

stickguy said:

Rain sending wipers is one thing I miss on the RDX. my TLX for some reason did have them.

If it starts raining you don't have to fumble around trying to find the wiper switch.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

stickguy said:

Those houses down there all seem to have garages. Mostly 2 car. Maybe just the villa style (more like apartments) don’t? I go to curious and looked at listings and the dingles did. No basements though, but that is fine by me!

All those communities have lots of regulations. Part of the appeal for many people. Almost reminds me of living on a land based cruise ship!

The villages is like camp for adults. There are all kinds of activities and lots of people who are at the same stage in life....so easy to make friends and socialize. They have all kinds of amenities, bridge, cards, golf, tennis, pickleball, cameras, cars etc. Stores and theaters etc. are all right there, no need to go anywhere. Hard to find basements anywhere in Florida, also a coat closet near the front door doesn't exist in the state. Living on a cruise ship is a good comparison.
    It is a little too sterile for us....we can find our own stuff to do and friends.....but, it is ideal for a lot of people.
    And, no one would cut their own lawn....they get good rates because of the volume....and they would want it done to their standards.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    When we retired, we did NOT want to be surrounded by only other old people! I love our condo complex. It’s got a mix of all ages, including retired folks like us. I love the kids playing basketball at the hoop someone set up for them, the little kids on scooters greeting me and my dog as we walk by. It’s very full of life!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    I definitely don’t want to be surrounded by old people. I don’t even like any people all that much!

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    I've recall a TPiR not terribly long ago where they gave away a vintage car, maybe a 55-57 T-Bird or something, I think they do things like that for special event show, breaks the monotony of sparsely equipped rental grade cars.

For the value, probably about the same now. The maintenance is what will get you,
    qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

I watched a video of them talking about the things they don't like about living there. Mostly small things and they made it clear that for them the positives outweigh the negatives, but there are a lot of restrictions and rules apparently. No garages or basements, so no place for things like a canoe or a boat. I dunno where you would put a lawnmower (apparently most people use a service because keeping the property in a certain condition is one of the rules too). Plus things like the summer heat, the lack of proximity to malls and supermarkets, and the death rate (since everybody is a certain age and dying is not uncommon).

They did another video where they tallied up the cost of living there and it was about $3300/mo., not including a mortgage or car payment.

My understanding is that your HOA dues in part pay for lawn service. As for basements, unless you live on the one hill in Florida basements are usually indoor pools.

ab348 said:

Neighbor up the street has one of those and he was in the middle of using it yesterday when I went out. I had previously blown them all into piles. I did my leaves and was done while he was still sucking and dumping. When you have as many leaves as this neighborhood does that can get rather tedious.
    It gets rather tedious here too, over the course of a one fall season I can put out almost 50 lawn bags of leaves alone.

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

The villages is like camp for adults. There are all kinds of activities and lots of people who are at the same stage in life....so easy to make friends and socialize. They have all kinds of amenities, bridge, cards, golf, tennis, pickleball, cameras, cars etc. Stores and theaters etc. are all right there, no need to go anywhere. Hard to find basements anywhere in Florida, also a coat closet near the front door doesn't exist in the state. Living on a cruise ship is a good comparison.
    It is a little too sterile for us....we can find our own stuff to do and friends.....but, it is ideal for a lot of people.
    And, no one would cut their own lawn....they get good rates because of the volume....and they would want it done to their standards.
    I know of at least one home in Florida with a coat closet near the front door, the kids house has one right by the door. I have seen people with winter coats on in Florida, of course it was in weather that up here we would be out in shorts enjoying the weather.

suydam said:

When we retired, we did NOT want to be surrounded by only other old people! I love our condo complex. It’s got a mix of all ages, including retired folks like us. I love the kids playing basketball at the hoop someone set up for them, the little kids on scooters greeting me and my dog as we walk by. It’s very full of life!

I would really love to get someplace where they don't get the real cold weather as it seems that the cold winters are getting to be harder for me to endure. However my boss wife wants to stay here. :( But I can understand what you are saying as we have the same thing. I am just afraid that in 20 years this would be the papers reporting on me,

stickguy said:

I definitely don’t want to be surrounded by old people. I don’t even like any people all that much!

.....except of course, for your poster buddies....but then again, we are just virtual people :)

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    For the guy who has everything perhaps this stocking stuffer penny farthing bike could be the ultimate Christmas gift.

driver100 said:

The villages is like camp for adults. There are all kinds of activities and lots of people who are at the same stage in life....so easy to make friends and socialize. They have all kinds of amenities, bridge, cards, golf, tennis, pickleball, cameras, cars etc.

Yeah, camp for adults seems a good way to put it. If you’re a joiner it might be OK. That sort of pressure to take part would drive me away.

My understanding is that your HOA dues in part pay for lawn service. As for basements, unless you live on the one hill in Florida basements are usually indoor pools.

The male half of the pair doing the videos said he used to do it himself until recently when he hired a lawn service at $50 a month. Seems a deal.

bwia said:

For the guy who has everything perhaps this stocking stuffer penny farthing bike could be the ultimate Christmas gift.

A penny farthing as a stationary bike? Well at least you wont fly off over the handle bars that way.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    ab348 said:

I don’t think I could live in a place that had all those rules. No garage? That’s living like an animal. I’d need someplace to put my junk.

$3300/mo NOT including mortgage? What are you paying for?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

If I could get my yard mowed for $50/month I would outsource too. Here, it is more like $50/week. Plus my yard is a lot bigger. Though down there, I assume they have to pay year round since (I assume) it never stops growing.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    suydam said:

The only advantage of having a complex with restrictions is keeping the real bad actors under control. My BIL’s place near Tampa was over 55 with all sorts of condo association rules. I thought it would be tough for me to live like that until I heard motors revving in the distance. I found out it was from a nearby development which had no restrictions. I was told that the place occasionally had meth head tenants who would tune their motor cycles in their living room at midnight.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    The development I just moved to has an HOA. They took nearly $1000 from us at settlement as their welcome to the neighborhood gift.

They don’t do much (no lawn care or snow removal) for the $50 month.

I just had my first dealings with them. We are putting in a fence which of course requires their approval. I called to have the process outlined to me and wanted all the forms emailed. The woman was flat out nasty. It says on the form they have 30 days to approve it. I’m sure they will take all 30 and require several phone calls and emails to get it done.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    So what does the HOA do, exactly, then? Besides say "no" to doing what you want with your home...
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible

So what does the HOA do, exactly, then? Besides say "no" to doing what you want with your home...

HOAs basically provide work for those disappointed with the fall of the Berlin Wall- and thus missed the chance to work for the Stasi.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    @28firefighter
    That's the kind of reason I disliked the condo association when I lived in the townhome
    east of Cincy. I said I'd never again put up with an association like that. Incompetent boobs.

Instead I live in a small town with great zoning laws and fair enforcement.

The people running the association were perfectly described by the first 3 letters.

Son and DIL did just buy a home in a very low key association. Low fee. Pricey homes
    and homeowners there seem resistant to the big homeowner government controls. They are
    resistant to the increase in school taxes...

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Condos have a reason for the HOA at least. My neighborhood is a normal single house development. With an HOA. Dues are only $225/year. All that really pays for is common area maintenance, and electricity to light up the entry sign. Pretty basic stuff. But of course, you are supposed to go through them for approval for outside improvements. I had to get the OK for our fence, and I think the pool (not sure on that though),

I am actually OK with the concept, if they aren't idiots about it. In theory it keeps people from doing strange things that can run down property values, keeping some reasonable consistency.

the real issue with most of them is they are all bark, no bite. Because as soon as you do something without asking first, they usually won't do much about it if your response is "sue me", because there isn't the money available for that, and good luck asking all the neighbors for kick in more for it!

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    My sister recently bought into a HOA of the most minor type. Dues are like $8/month (no kidding) which I think just goes to maintain a little park/playground. No covenants that I know of.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162
    edited November 2020
    It cracks me up how people would “rise up” on some minor inconveniences that can save their lives (or their parents, grandparents, uncles, siblings, etc.), yet they have no quarrels whatsoever to ask some busy bodies with nothing better to do for permission to use different grass on their lawn, color paint on their door, or even fly a flag, just for a bogus promise of property value protection. It’s probably more about that feel of controlling others, how much we love that, don’t we? Btw, permission denied.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

ab348 said:

The male half of the pair doing the videos said he used to do it himself until recently when he hired a lawn service at $50 a month. Seems a deal.
    When we were checking it out a couple of years ago they told us that the lawn care was taken care of by the HOA.

My monthly fee in Florida is $405 a month, that includes lawn maintenance, lots of palm trees and bushes, insurance on the exterior, paving roadways, basic cable TV, swimming pool, clubhouse, general cleaning of walks and exterior walls, paint every few years as needed, new roof when needed, pest control.......probably a few more items. I think it is worth it.
    The Board can vary from incompetent to excellent. I like rules that make sense, approval to paint doors or garage doors, outside items need approval by the board, approval to put in a plant, no parking on roadways....I don't like rules that say you must keep the screens or crossbars on your windows....current board got rid of that rule.
    Also nice to basically write one check a month...or one withdrawal...instead of dealing with 5 different companies.

I picked up my new Club Sport 25 years ago today Time truly does fly.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    Congrats RB!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible

Much like @stickguy explained. Common areas, lighting etc. Nothing on the homeowners property.

@roadburner That’s Awesome!

I misunderstood his numbers a bit. It was $33000 a year so around $2700 a month. Their tally is as shown here:

stickguy said:

Condos have a reason for the HOA at least.

Yeah, it is apartment condos that would worry me. I have two people I know who both were in different such developments. One was in a new build 6-storey apartment condo and it was quite nice when I visited her a few times. But when she had been in there maybe 5-6 years everyone got hit with a large assessment to replace the sprinkler system, which was either installed incorrectly or was deemed to be no longer up to code, some such thing. It was a few thou per unit. Another person got even a worse deal. She bought into a 1960s high-rise apartment building that had become condos in the early '80s. At some point thereafter it was determined that there was water infiltration behind the red brick cladding on the outside. The solution was for crews to go down the outside floor by floor from the top on all sides of the building, removing the bricks, and replacing whatever had failed behind the brick before replacing them, a job that went on for years. Her assessment was in the 5 figures. The other downside was that the work sucked all the funds out of the condo association so things like common areas were not updated for many years and made the lobby and other such spaces look rather run-down. Ouch.

ab348 said:

I misunderstood his numbers a bit. It was $33000 a year so around $2700 a month. Their tally is as shown here:

Those are their living expenses for one month.....and their house is paid off. Their living expenses would probably be a lot higher if they lived somewhere else....their recreation and everyday expenses aren't that much when you consider all their activities are included in that $2700 a month. Some golf clubs could cost that much a month.
    I don't get golf....a round here could cost $80 to $100 on a good course. If a couple go twice a week that is about $400 a week, plus all the other expenses, like clubs and clothes - you need nice clothes to play golf :p . $1600 a month, could lease you a very nice car.
    *A good golf course in Florida would cost about $50 to $60 a round from what I can figure out....still adds up.
    If you live in a place like The Villages the golf is usually included!

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    driver100 said:

My monthly fee in Florida is $405 a month, that includes lawn maintenance, lots of palm trees and bushes, insurance on the exterior, paving roadways, basic cable TV, swimming pool, clubhouse, general cleaning of walks and exterior walls, paint every few years as needed, new roof when needed, pest control.......probably a few more items. I think it is worth it.
    The Board can vary from incompetent to excellent. I like rules that make sense, approval to paint doors or garage doors, outside items need approval by the board, approval to put in a plant, no parking on roadways....I don't like rules that say you must keep the screens or crossbars on your windows....current board got rid of that rule.
    Also nice to basically write one check a month...or one withdrawal...instead of dealing with 5 different companies.

I pay $520 a month for HOA fees and covers everything you mentioned above at your Florida condo. What I like the most about my condo community (5000+ residents) is the security. We have 2 entries to the community all monitored by security guards and 15 security cars that constantly monitor every village within the community.

We have an 18 hole executive golf course, tennis/pickle ball courts, basketball courts, swimming pools at each village as well as the main pool area, a 500 seat theatre for shows and movies, 30 different clubs (woodworking, ham radio, wine tasting, ceramics, bridge, metal-working, physical fitness gym with weights and treadmills, oil and watercolor painting, card rooms, dancing, etc.) none of which I participate in.

We have a restaurant at the golf club that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner and can accommodate 75 guests at a time during non-COVID times.

Each village (we have 25 villages) has its own elected board of directors as well as a representative who attends the main board of directors on the Community Council.

The entire community has dozens of open green areas as well as mature trees - all of which need grass-cutting and trimming/pruning and cost a lot in terms of manpower and machinery. They keep the villages and the ground immaculate.

So, if you are so inclined, there is quite a lot of opportunities to get socially engaged in one club or another. I prefer my privacy and the ability to be “incognito” and to interact with my friends in a more private setting.

2021 Genesis G90

edited November 2020
    ab348 said:

stickguy said:

Yeah, it is apartment condos that would worry me. I have two people I know who both were in different such developments..
    I have heard of similar stories. One condo near me had problems with the balconies, they were deemed unsafe and not built properly. Of course the builder declared bankruptcy and starts a new company with a different name. A condo in the building should be worth about $300k, but no one will buy them as you aren't allowed to go out on the balcony, and the cost to fix them is in the six figures, and the owners can't afford to pay that.

If I had to live in a condo apartment I would want one that is about 10 years old with a really good track record, not too large a building, and that looks like there won't be huge costs involved in repairing balconies or garages etc. But, less seems to go wrong with detached or even attached homes that are houses rather than condo units in a building.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    driver100 said:

ab348 said:

stickguy said:

Yeah, it is apartment condos that would worry me. I have two people I know who both were in different such developments..
    I have heard of similar stories. One condo near me had problems with the balconies, they were deemed unsafe and not built properly. Of course the builder declared bankruptcy and starts a new company with a different name. A condo in the building should be worth about $300k, but no one will buy them as you aren't allowed to go out on the balcony, and the cost to fix them is in the six figures, and the owners can't afford to pay that.

If I had to live in a condo apartment I would want one that is about 10 years old with a really good track record, not too large a building, and that looks like there won't be huge costs involved in repairing balconies or garages etc. But, less seems to go wrong with detached or even attached homes that are houses rather than condo units in a building.

My building is 30 years old. My parents were the first owners to move in back in 1991. We have 48 apartments in the building (4 stories high with an elevator). We have not had any assessments in the past 20 years since I moved in, however as the community ages, the main road that circles the community will eventually have to be repaved. As for our roof, our budget includes an account for roof repairs and replacement. Our roof was replaced 6 years ago.

There are 3 types of apartments on each floor - a 2-2 (1100 sq ft), a 2-2+ (1350 sq ft) and a 2-2 corner (1500 sq ft). I have a 2-2+. It includes a laundry closet with stacked washer/dryer and a terrace. I live on the 2nd floor.

I live 1-1/2 blocks from the Florida Turnpike which connects all of Sough Florida to highways and interstates.

2021 Genesis G90

driver100 said:

*A good golf course in Florida would cost about $50 to $60 a round from what I can figure out....still adds up.
    If you live in a place like The Villages the golf is usually included!

From what Jerry in the video indicated, the golf on the small executive courses is included. To play on the regular "championship" (an utterly meaningless term in the golf world) courses costs anywhere from the low $40 range to as much as $70 or so per round depending upon the one you choose. It is confusing though because if you sign up for some sort of preferred status you get a discount that seems to be about 20% off those amounts plus better access to the tee sheet, but you pay for that status monthly. It sounds like he is a big golfer but he said he mostly sticks to the freebie exec courses. I thought he said they had over 60 courses total in the entire complex, which gives you a sense of how huge it has become.

The other thing that they mentioned in another video is that they went down to one car but they bought 2 golf carts to use both on the courses and to run around their development in. One was $5K and he didn't say how much they paid for the second one.