Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    Speaking of that. I really miss the over the range microwave here at the new house. PO had a nice, restaurant quality (powerful) range hood installed instead. We have the microwave in a cabinet above the oven and it’s a little high. Wife doesn’t want one on the counter.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    edited November 2020
    Oh the appliance curse. They just don't last anymore, or so it seems. Our micro-wave, stove, range top, frig have all been repaired in the last year. What's worse, they aren't even 5 years old yet. Not good.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,027
    Shhh! With the exception of the dryer (which needed to be repaired, then we simply replaced it), all the appliances in our "new" house (we've been here 2.5 years) all seem to be working just fine.

GE in the kitchen.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544
    tjc78 said:

driver100 said:

Our over the range microwave died last night while making popcorn. What a hassle. Had to do some quick checking to find one the right color - Black, and that is the right dimensions. Found one at a store a few blocks away.....a Panasonic, brought it home at 8 a.m. this morning. The Guy is coming Sunday to install it!

That happened to me right before we moved out of the old house. I must say I bought try cheapest one I could find that matched ($200 Samsung)

I installed it myself. I was really worried because my old house had a granite backsplash that went up to the old unit. Even 1/4” taller in the rear would have made it not fit.

Getting it to clip into the bracket was tricky with no wiggle room but still only a 2 beer job at most. A pro will be in and out within the hour.
    I agree it’s not a hard job. Just installed one in flip house #2 last week. I’d say Son #1 and I were done in about 45 minutes and 15 minutes of that was making damn sure the template, that is provided, is properly placed on the wall and the cabinet above it. I would not want to lift it in place myself but you are proof that it can be done. I doubt “The Guy” that is going to install it comes with a helper. If somehow our poster buddy decides to do this install himself, I think we’re going to hear a CRASH BOOM.☹️

BTW, you should have taken your time and made it a 3 beer job.😎

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Yeah that template has to be spot on especially for the top screws. I must have had it a little crooked and missed the mark by about 1/8”. I enlarged the hole and used a washer. Won’t see it from my new house :smile:

Michaell said:

Shhh! With the exception of the dryer (which needed to be repaired, then we simply replaced it), all the appliances in our "new" house (we've been here 2.5 years) all seem to be working just fine.

GE in the kitchen.

Are we to infer from that your washer and dryer are no longer a matched pair? 😳

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Oh here we go...

tjc78 said:

Yeah that template has to be spot on especially for the top screws. I must have had it a little crooked and missed the mark by about 1/8”. I enlarged the hole and used a washer. Won’t see it from my new house :smile:

You cheated. You should have replaced the cabinet.😉

jmonroe

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    Microwave makes me think of my sister's new place - I walked through it right after they closed (already vacant), and we were inspecting the appliances, trying to guess their age. The over the stove microwave had seen better days, with a big crack in the door near the handle. I was guessing it was from around the year 2000 - nope, 2017 build date. The house was sold by its original owners, in their 70s, wasn't a rental or anything - makes me wonder what else happened there. The kitchen was also left fairly dirty,
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    When we replaced the kitchen appliances 5 or 6 years ago, Lowes wanted some ungodly amount to install the microwave, so I decided to do it myself.
    Replaced a GE with an LG. I was able to reuse the rear bracket, but had to drill new holes in the overhead cabinet.
    Stove was a glass top, so moved it and used a 2x4 to hold up the microwave while I put in the top screws.

@driver100,
    I'll lend you the 2x4 if you want to stop over and get it. :p
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    sda said:

Oh the appliance curse. They just don't last anymore, or so it seems. Our micro-wave, stove, range top, frig have all been repaired in the last year. What's worse, they aren't even 5 years old yet. Not good.

We are 18 years in this house and are on our second oven/stove, and dishwasher (both new to the house when we had it built 18 years ago) and still on the first microwave, washer and dryer(again new with the house) and our second refrigerator (first one was brought over from our previous home).

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

All this talk about appliances and no one has asked the most important question. Why is there a 'D' in fridge but not in refrigerator?

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977

All this talk about appliances and no one has asked the most important question. Why is there a 'D' in fridge but not in refrigerator?

Perhaps a spin off saying from Frigidaire?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:

Perhaps a spin off saying from Frigidaire?
    English is a language that lures other languages into dark alleys knocks them over the head and rummages through their pockets. English has many multitudes of words that come from different languages with different spelling and pronunciation rules. This is why daughter and laughter sound different but are largely spelled the same. So refrigerator has Latin roots and therefore follows Latin rules of pronunciation. Fridge was a shortened version of refrigerator that was likely spoken for years before being written down. With the pronunciation of the word as frij many writers started using spelling rules of Germanic origin (or more correctly middle English) of words that ended with the soft "j" sound like "bridge". Hence the spelling of 'fridge".

Yes it's a meaningless piece of trivia, but now you're stuck with it.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    edited November 2020

I would not want to lift it in place myself but you are proof that it can be done. I doubt “The Guy” that is going to install it comes with a helper. If somehow our poster buddy decides to do this install himself, I think we’re going to hear a CRASH BOOM.☹️
    .😎
    jmonroe

Your poster buddy will be helping The Guy at least lift it into place......I think it is about 60 pounds....25k - whatever that is in American.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    Our house was built with an over the range unit. I think we had to replace it once. I definitely didn’t put it in. When we gutted the kitchen 12 years ago we went with a hood, and built a shelf under one of the cabinets and put a plug there for the microwave. We never liked having it above the range, and this at least doesn’t take up counter space

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    The trouble with Condo or Townhouse dwelling are the neighbors you might get. Our son lived in the Condo we owned for several years. It was on the bottom floor and the unit above was a rental. He went through several renters and they got worse and worse! He got a weightlifter who would slam his weights to the ground. Finally we sold the Condo and he bought a house.

A friend bought a nice Condo and was quite happy until new neighbors moved in next to him. These people were from India and according to my friend they were quite nice and kept to themselves. The trouble was they cooked their traditional foods which REALLY had a foul smell. Lots of curry and spices that filtered into his unit.

He tried to nicely complain but was told " This is what we eat!"

This would be our main fear as we think about selling our big house and downsizing.

edited November 2020
    driver100 said:

I would not want to lift it in place myself but you are proof that it can be done. I doubt “The Guy” that is going to install it comes with a helper. If somehow our poster buddy decides to do this install himself, I think we’re going to hear a CRASH BOOM.☹️
    .😎
    jmonroe

Your poster buddy will be helping The Guy at least lift it into place......I think it is about 60 pounds....25k - whatever that is in American.

Truth be told I lifted mine into position by myself and clipped it into the rear bracket.

I then yelled for my wife to hold it up for a minute while I installed one top bolt, since I forgot the piece of pipe I had to hold it.

jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

GE in the kitchen.

jmonroe

You are free to infer that.

However, when the original dryer went to the appliance graveyard in the sky, we did replace it with the same brand, and as close to the same model (Samsung) as we could find.

They don't match 100%, as the ring around the door on the washer is imitation chrome, while the ring on the dryer door is white.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

edited November 2020
    Speaking of the Guy, our shed built this week was done by one guy. Didn’t think you could, but he did. It was impressive.

Started painting today. Tedious job. Lots of trim that all had to be primed. Got that done this morning. Tomorrow need to put the top coat on, and put flooring in (yes, I am getting flooring so the subfloor does not get best up). Some sort of vinyl plank. Peel and stick might not work outside, so might have to go with click together floating floor. What I can get cheapest that the wife doesn’t hate!

Sunday most likely painting the siding. That at least is some kind of engineered panel that is already primed so not a big deal.

Outside painting this time of the year, a risky undertaking. Getting lucky with a warmer than normal weekend, and no rain predicted.

Try going to Ollies for the floor. They usually have tons of it at good prices.

Didn’t think about them. I’m quite amused by that place. Most likely going to floor and decor, so I can talk to an expert to figure out what’s the best option, and paying the $1/sf to get something not paper thin.

edited November 2020
    Yeah you aren’t getting top quality there!

All of those big box discount outlets are doing well. Ocean State Job Lot is like Ollies and they really are growing fast. I’m sure it won’t be long until we have one near us.

Another great store we recently discovered is At Home. We bought a ton of stuff for the new house there.

They have a fair amount of my money too.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    For James Bond fans, there is an all day Bond marathon on BBC America tv. I'm watching Dr. No right now. Next up is From Russia with Love, followed by Goldfinger...
    From Russia with Love and Thunderball are 2 of my favorites from the Sean Connery era.
    I also like the Daniel Craig Bond movies.
    bwia said:

For James Bond fans, there is an all day Bond marathon on BBC America tv. I'm watching Dr. No right now. Next up is From Russia with Love, followed by Goldfinger...

Love the classics!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

bwia said:

They are good, but "Once is Enough". :(

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

GE in the kitchen.

jmonroe

However, when the original dryer went to the appliance graveyard in the sky, we did replace it with the same brand, and as close to the same model (Samsung) as we could find.

They don't match 100%, as the ring around the door on the washer is imitation chrome, while the ring on the dryer door is white.
    Man, I could never live with that. I’d rather have the green dryer and white washer like we lived with for many years.😀

jmonroe

stickguy said:

Didn’t think about them. I’m quite amused by that place. Most likely going to floor and decor, so I can talk to an expert to figure out what’s the best option, and paying the $1/sf to get something not paper thin.

I doubt a flooring expert is going to recommend any kind of laminate floor for a shed. If I were you I’d leave it alone. It’s a shed...treat it like one.

jmonroe

jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

GE in the kitchen.

jmonroe

Man, I could never live with that. I’d rather have the green dryer and white washer like we lived with for many years.😀

jmonroe

It is probably a good idea for some people, then you don't get them mixed up. The washer is white, and the dryer is green - simple :)

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

GE in the kitchen.

jmonroe

jmonroe

It is probably a good idea for some people, then you don't get them mixed up. The washer is white, and the dryer is green - simple :)
    It took a while but I never thought you’d figure that out.😳

jmonroe

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    Watching a house-hunting show with a DINK couple. Looking at a place 30 minutes from anywhere w/ a great kitchen and complaining that it doesn’t have double ovens and just a 5-burner gas cooktop. 🙄

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

The trouble with Condo or Townhouse dwelling are the neighbors you might get. Our son lived in the Condo we owned for several years. It was on the bottom floor and the unit above was a rental. He went through several renters and they got worse and worse! He got a weightlifter who would slam his weights to the ground. Finally we sold the Condo and he bought a house.

A friend bought a nice Condo and was quite happy until new neighbors moved in next to him. These people were from India and according to my friend they were quite nice and kept to themselves. The trouble was they cooked their traditional foods which REALLY had a foul smell. Lots of curry and spices that filtered into his unit.

This would be our main fear as we think about selling our big house and downsizing.

I have been very lucky regarding neighbors. The apartment below me is owned by snowbirds who are here 5 months a year and I never hear them. The two apartments next to me on the second floor are also owned by out-of-town snowbirds who are here less than 2-3 months a year.

The apartment above me is owned by a widow who lives here full time. I hear her move a chair across the kitchen floor every so often but mostly she is very quiet. This is why I am staying where I am - great neighbors and a very quiet neighborhood (village).

2021 Genesis G90

edited November 2020
    ab348 said:

Watching a house-hunting show with a DINK couple. Looking at a place 30 minutes from anywhere w/ a great kitchen and complaining that it doesn’t have double ovens and just a 5-burner gas cooktop. 🙄

It’s TV so it falls into the category of entertainment. I’d be wiling to bet that Mrs. j cooks a lot more than those kooks who we see on those shows. She has always had to make do with one oven and an electric range at that, not gas, which seems to be a must if your going to claim that you know how to boil water. The range we have now has a 5 th element but it’s just a keep warm thingy. You cannot use it for cooking. We’ve had this thing since 2010 and awhile back I asked her how many times she’s used it. Her answer was once just to see if it worked.

AND let’s not forget that you have to have a house with an “open concept”, which I’ll never understand. I guess people want to hear the noise in the kitchen while they’re watching TV in the family room. But, since people are convinced they have to have the “open concept” thingy, on flip house #2 we tore down the wall dividing the living room from the kitchen so the house complies with the rule for having an “open concept”. Who am I to knock it since the house is already sold and it was never even put on the market nor is it fully completed yet.

jmonroe

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349

From Russia with Love and Thunderball are 2 of my favorites from the Sean Connery era.
    I also like the Daniel Craig Bond movies.

My favorites:
    From Russia with Love
    Goldfinger
    On Her Majesty’s Secret Service
    For Your Eyes Only
    Goldeneye
    Tomorrow Never Dies
    Casino Royale
    Skyfall

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    edited November 2020
    tjc78 said:

@roadburner
    @graphicguy

Which would you go with. Room is approx 20x25x8

I may pull the trigger around the end of year.

My current older 12” Klipsch does an admiral job but looking for a little more oomph.

My gut tells me the SVS but the Klipsch seems like a good value.

SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer - 13-inch Driver, 800W RMS, 2,500W Pea... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K6VN8G1/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_fabc_Bb9TFb7JXG4KC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Klipsch SPL-150SW 15 Inch Powered Subwoofer, Ebony https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P8B85JH/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_fabc_-b9TFbX5CJETQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It's hard to beat an SVS sub; but the Klipsch is no slouch. I might be tempted to buy the Klipsch from a store with a liberal return policy, and if it doesn't float your boat you can always go with the SVS.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    My wife told me to stop at Costco on my way home:

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

I doubt a flooring expert is going to recommend any kind of laminate floor for a shed. If I were you I’d leave it alone. It’s a shed...treat it like one.

jmonroe

I want something to keep the plywood (basically a subfloor) from getting chewed up by the mower, etc. And sometimes wet stuff from the pool. So just want some kind of vinyl layer to put down to protect it. The old one had an indoor/outdoor carpet in the center, but that gets nasty. Saw some cool 18x18 snap together tiles at Lowes (kind of like racedeck flooring) that you would use in a garage, but not planning to spend $5/sf for a shed!

stickguy said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe

I want something to keep the plywood (basically a subfloor) from getting chewed up by the mower, etc. And sometimes wet stuff from the pool. So just want some kind of vinyl layer to put down to protect it. The old one had an indoor/outdoor carpet in the center, but that gets nasty. Saw some cool 18x18 snap together tiles at Lowes (kind of like racedeck flooring) that you would use in a garage, but not planning to spend $5/sf for a shed!
    I can’t see vinyl lasting very long. I’d put down some outdoor plywood using screws. That way when that gets chewed up you can un-screw it and do it again. That’s why I wouldn’t do it with nails. The only material that won’t get chewed up is concrete and I doubt you’re going to use that. Although if I had a shed I’d do concrete. My brother poured concrete about 30 years ago and has replaced the shed twice. The concrete is as good today as it was when new. Why not, it’s always covered and he never throws salt on it.

jmonroe

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe

I can’t see vinyl lasting very long. I’d put down some outdoor plywood using screws. That way when that gets chewed up you can un-screw it and do it again. That’s why I wouldn’t do it with nails. The only material that won’t get chewed up is concrete and I doubt you’re going to use that. Although if I had a shed I’d do concrete. My brother poured concrete about 30 years ago and has replaced the shed twice. The concrete is as good today as it was when new. Why not, it’s always covered and he never throws salt on it.

jmonroe

My dad did the same thing, in CA. Extended the back patio to accommodate a shed, and built it himself. Still in good shape, and it's 50 years old.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

jmonroe1 said:

ab348 said:

She has always had to make do with one oven and an electric range at that, not gas, which seems to be a must if your going to claim that you know how to boil water.

AND let’s not forget that you have to have a house with an “open concept”, which I’ll never understand.

jmonroe

1) I am thinking of not needing an oven at all....for the amount it is used. Might even make the place where the stove is into a computer station.
    2) Open concept.....opens the house up so you don't feel claustrophobic by being in enclosed rooms. The house feels larger.

I know that isn't happening (putting down plywood). Might actually look for a rubber mat though (they make those for garage or basement floors too).

I will find something. peel and stick would be perfect to get beat up, but they don't seem to be designed for temperature extremes.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    abacomike said:

I have been very lucky regarding neighbors. The apartment below me is owned by snowbirds who are here 5 months a year and I never hear them. The two apartments next to me on the second floor are also owned by out-of-town snowbirds who are here less than 2-3 months a year.

The apartment above me is owned by a widow who lives here full time. I hear her move a chair across the kitchen floor every so often but mostly she is very quiet. This is why I am staying where I am - great neighbors and a very quiet neighborhood (village).
    We have had good luck too. Ours are 2 story townhouse style, so no above or below units. On one side I have a neighbor who only visits intermittently and we are always happy to see him when he shows up. On the other are a very nice young couple. Before that we had It’s a pretty quiet, small complex. Many of the neighbors have been here a long time, and everyone is pretty friendly.
    I would love to have Indian neighbors again as the food is delicious! I have been in many Indian-American homes and none of them smell bad.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    stickguy said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe

Get some cheap vinyl sheet flooring at the big box and glue it to the plywood.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

that would work too.

I may just go with the peel and sticks and see how it works. Worst case, they pop up and I replace them.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    nyccarguy said:

My wife told me to stop at Costco on my way home:

Better stop at the dealership for a bigger truck.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    I would be afraid that anything that is simply laid over the top of the plywood would trap moisture and condensation and lead to the plywood rotting. Maybe one of those garage floor epoxy kits would work.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I was wondering about that Porsche Hoovie bought. He put out a great video on it yesterday.
    $5 seems cheap. Until you start getting the bills to fix it up and keep it running!