Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• lotech1lotech1 Member Posts: 112
    I should have stuck with the great GM dealer who sold me my previous cars. Never any of the garbage like I get from these Chrysler morons. There is a reason Chrysler went belly up in the past and it's just about time for history to repeat itself. Just how much did that one cost us taxpayers? I knew better and now I'm paying for it. Chrysler will never be in the top two American auto makers and their service will be their downfall.

I've had nothing but excellent service from the GM dealer with whom I've been loyal to for years. This is what I get for betraying that loyalty. Great truck the Dakota... just lousy service from a company that doesn't have a clue.

BTW, the same service procedures I get at the GM dealer will cost $270 more at the Chrysler shop. This includes tire rotation, air filter, fuel filter, oil change, checking belts, hoses and other mechanical parts.

GM - $130
    Mopar - $400
  • mtrialsmmtrialsm Member Posts: 159
    They just don't make "service guys" like they use to!
    Just think, the quality of maintance isn't much
    better on civilian and military aircraft!!!!
    Sad:(
    I'm very lucky I haven't had to deal with many
    service departments!
    mm
    Well, after my experience with the crappy Dodge guys, I decided to go over to my GM dealer today where I've bought all my good cars. I drove the Dakota over and let them decide what it's worth. They offered me $1,500 more than I paid for the thing new. That's $19,500 and I paid $18,000. Thanks to the moron Dodge boys taking all the depreciation off my shoulders I'll get back into a GM pickup. Yes, that's $5,000 they gave me ($3k factory, $2k dealer). Somebody should be getting an ok truck with only 2,800 miles on it. I just hope they appreciate the crappy Dodge service which is not worth the time it will take to transfer the warranty. Good bye all. Hope you have better luck than I did.
  • bja4bja4 Member Posts: 67
    I used to take my truck to the Greeley Dodge boys until they got bought out by some big wig "Champion". The same name used to sell Chevys here in Greeley, Colo. The service went down hill fast. I had to reorder the same rubber tailgate grommet three times before giving up on them. I then went to Co's Chrysler to order the part again. Not only did I get the part in three days, but they didn't charge me for it. They even went ahead and installed the part for me. It turns out that several employees had quit Champion and moved to Co's Chrysler. It seems they were not happy with the just sell cars attitude. Just because you own a Dodge doesn't mean you have to take it to a Dodge dealership for warantee work.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    We had a 2000 Silverado 5.3 and that thing was a nightmare. Within 2 weeks it had spent over 1 week in the shop. Sticking throttle body, brake vibration, and the rear sliding window frame was cracked. When we sold it at 7,000 miles the throttle was sticking again, the brakes were vibrating again, and we had an aftermarket rear sliding window because GM wouldn't take the time to find a permanent fix for the frame cracking. Needless to say it will be a while before we buy GM again.

So far our Dakota has been great. Bought it with 67,000 miles 2 weeks ago now it's almost at 69,000. We drove it to Birmingham, AL (160 miles each way) twice and it didn't skip a beat. So far I feel like the truck is well worth the $6,000 we spent for it.
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    You have to wait 1.5 hours for an oil change and you trade trucks because of crappy service! If you are really in that much of a hurry there is Jiffy Lube.

I'm not here to defend Dodge however the Factory has little control over how the dealerships run their business. They are independent and set their own prices. The only ones with control over them is the customers. If they have a 5 star rating they must be pleasing however many customers Dodge requires for them to maintain that status. Market forces control the dealerships.

If they provide crappy service people should take their business elsewhere. However trading trucks is a little extreme<grin>

I don't feel that the Dakota is a bad product nor it seems does the GM dealer you are trading with if you are getting $1500 over what you paid. Good luck with your GM and may your new truck make you happy.

I am fortunate, I have a great 5 star dealer. I bought a new Ram 1500 Quad cab to replace a Dakota Quad cab because I needed more space and a automatic transmission.

I found the cab a little difficult to get in and out of so I purchased a set of used Mopar step bars on Ebay. When I received the bars there were no instructions on how to install them on my Quad. I went to the dealership and checked the parts department and they had the instructions faxed to me from Mopar parts. While at the dealership I mentioned to my salesman I had gotten the bars and needed to install them once I located some hardware that was shown to be missing on the installation instructions I had just received. He told me to bring in the Quad that weekend and he would have his new truck prep guy install the side steps for me. I asked what that would cost and he said don't worry, I'll take care of it!!!!

This is why I have dealt with MY 5 star dealer over the past 10 years and recommend them to my friends and coworkers. Rick
    The reason for my seemly hasty decision comes from the lousy experience I had in purchasing the vehicle on May 15th of this year and all the grief I've encountered when dealing with the dealership.

When I bought the truck they refused to let me see the MSRP sticker prior to having it delivered from another dealership. I told them to just have the other dealership FAX the thing over. Nope, can't do it. They said "It's exactly like the one on our lot, why do you need to see the other MSRP?" They didn't want me to know where the other truck was in case I decided to pursue a deal with the other dealer. I got up and left their deal on the table. Before I made it to the car, the salesman came back and sweetened up the deal with $500 off invoice price. They kept doing this every time I started to walk. Well, to make a long story short I got up and walked out a grand total of 4 times which got me a grand total of $2,000 off their price besides the $3,000 factory rebate. Now by this time my wifes about ready to have a cow. She pulls me aside and tells me if I walk out again she'll buy the thing and I'll be walking home. What I ended up looking at from the other dealer was not what I wanted. As I suspected they (morons) didn't get the same vehicle. Besides that, the vehicle was manufactured about 1 week later than the local vehicle and they raised the base price by $300. So, again I took a walk. Next day they called me and offered their local truck with a few options added to sweeten the deal. They had tried to push this one on me in the first place as it had been sitting there for over 6 months without selling. Now they are going to try to keep my $500 deposit for the truck they found. With this round of BS I threatened to call the Illinois Attorney General's office. Guess what... the morons grew a brain and decided I wasn't going to roll over and play dead. After this they ended up finding another truck at another dealership that just happened to have all the options I wanted and was built the same week (been sitting somewhere 6 months) as their local truck with the same MSRP price. Again, I didn't get to see the MSRP on this truck but the morons ended up finally getting it right.

I've never spent this much time dealing with such morons as what I found at the Dodge dealership. Now I know where stupid salespeople end up... at Dodge Dealers.

I will have a brand new Silverado sitting in my driveway tomorrow morning. It is much better than the Dakota I owned for 2 months. One final point to this story: I doesn't matter what you buy as every brand has it's lemons. It's how the dealer treats you when you need help.

BTW, all thats required to be a "5 star dealer" is to have a heartbeat.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    I have to admit your trading what you say is a good truck soley because of the dealer, seems a little confusing. I've had the same dealer warranty experience in the past and I just took the car to another dealer where I got much better service.

Good luck with your decision,
    Dusty
  • usaf52usaf52 Member Posts: 70
    I can't complain about the dealer I bought my Dakota from. This is the 4th truck the family has purchased from them, and the service has always been excellent. Oil change in and out in 1/2 hour for 22 bucks. Jiffy lube charges the same here.
    Bought this leftover 2002 Dakota Club SXT auto 2WD for $14700 in May. Clock wouldn't keep proper time and radio refused to stay on programmed station. They had a new unit in a week and installed in the truck in a couple of hours.
  • sunburnsunburn Member Posts: 319
    How much torque do you apply to the spark plugs for the 4.7L? Most aluminum head engines that I've worked on in the past are about 7-10 lb-ft. I got the plugs, anti-sieze compound, and dielectric grease all set to go. I just don't want to over do it. Thanks.
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Brian, frankly, were it not for the Edmunds Dodge Dakota pages, I would have suffered the same fate. Through these threads, I discovered the Farm Bureau rebate, and the various options as well as the power train choices. My initial truck ordered with the 3:55 ratio differentials came in with 3:92 ratio axles. The reason for this, was that the truck with manual transmission, 4X4, 4.7 and LSD was not available. This came from the salesman and the ordering manager (currently starring in the film, "Dumb and Dumber.") This came from a coded restriction that was pointed out to me on this site as a material restriction (out of stock components awaiting delivery to the plant). I told them to keep the truck and then dealt with the truck manager, who was knowledgeable and very fair. They put a rush on my vehicle, got someone to "walk it through" production and gave me an extended warranty for a very low fee. I had other problems with this dealership in that my original truck had been paid for, and they thought that I was just going to allow them to sit on my money. I pulled out my cell phone and faked a call to the police. A few minutes later my wife called the cell to see when I would be coming home to dinner, and I responded by pretending that it was the local newspaper following up on a call to the police. You should have seen the shuffling about. Finally, I received a letter of apology from the dealer principal. The truck manager was sending both the ordering manager and the salesman through a series of in-service training sessions to be completed on their own time. All in all, I love this truck as it suits my needs perfectly. Folks like Rick, Bruce, Ben, Dusty and others have made life easier by providing advice and learned opinions. This site rules!

Bookitty
    On the 4.7 (287) motor, the spark plugs are torqued to 20 foot pounds.

Dusty
    To build off of what Bookitty said, getting a good dealer appears to be a high risk undertaking.

There are two parts to the store: the front end (sales) and the back end (service). A lot of dealers consider their service departments to be nothing more than a contractual obligation, and those sentiments often result in a "don't give a darn" attitude that permeates the entire service staff. There's often a lot of pressure on the service department to show a profit. They won't get rich on warranty work alone.

On the front end dealers consider this their prime. Moving inventory is what it's all about and unfortunately this often translates into motivation without discipline. That's how you get the unscrupulous tactics Bookitty was talking about.

A good dealership doesn't need to practice business in this sort of way.

Of course, every buyer is throwing the dice twice. Once in anticipation of getting good service, and another for getting a good unit. I've seen people in the past react like Lotech and be satisfied, and others regret they did what they did. Based on my experience and the experience of others, proclaiming improved satisfaction by going somewhere else may be a bit premature.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    Just picked up my 03 Chevy Silverado 1500HD LT Crew Cab and is it ever nice! No hassle, just a great buying experience.

Guess I've totally confused you guys eh? I can understand how buying through Daimler could cause so much confusion :-)

Well, my family has been buying cars from the same small town GM dealer for 3 generations. I went with my grandfather when he purchased his last vehicle from them many years ago.

What prompted me to buy from a stranger (O'brien Dodge) was an ad in the local paper with deals too good to pass up. I knew better but I wanted to get something in the size of a Dakota, even though I always buy GM. My wife is comfortable in our new Chevy Crew Cab after driving the Dakota Quad for 2 months. Guess you could call it a "Drivers Training Car" (LOL). Won't have to worry about what the Dodge Boys will try to pull on me next (LOL). Got an even better rebate from GM. Take care, and have fun discussing your Daimler vehicles. As for me, I'll be enjoying my new truck and not second guessing why I ever bought a Dodge in the first place.
    Well, now I understand your reasoning and reactions a lot better. It sounds as if you were always a GM person. Good luck.

No. I'm not confused. Didn't appreciate the implication that because I bought something you don't like my intelligence is suspect. I've owned a few GM products. I worked, in fact, for that company for a number of years. I'm very familar with the superior attitude that many Chevy owners suffer from. Really great vehicles those GMs(:-). That's why I've bought Nissan, Toyota, and Dodge lately.

As to the comment about the Chrysler loan, the US taxpayers never spent one cent. Chrysler's loan was supplied by private financing institutions and were only guaranteed by the US government. Chrysler, by the way, paid those loans back eight years and two months ahead of time.

Dusty
  • mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    so actually, the banks made out very well indeed.

I get really tired of hearing this referred to as a "bailout". It is not. How many here went to college and had GSL or Stafford loans? Yes, the banks loaned the cash, but Uncle Sam was your cosigner. So, if Chrysler was "bailed out" then millions and millions of college graduates were also bailed out.

Secondly, Chrysler never went bankrupt. Close, but close only counts in horseshoes, hand gernades, and sometimes sporting clays.
    Thanks for the info Dusty. I got the new plugs and air filter in. Took about 1.5 hrs. The OEM plugs were pretty worn.

On the 4.7 you need to be careful with the clips that hold the heater hoses. They are very fragile. The plastic on the hinge side is very thin, so it's definately not designed to be opened and closed several times. I broke the one on the passenger side when reinstalling it.
    It is amazing how an individuals difficulties interacting with other people in a business deal can poison their outlook on life in general. I fail to see how a failure in negotiations with a dealership sales team can logically cross over that the manufacturers product is junk!

I suppose this is why the Saturn sale concept works for certain personality types. Give everyone the same non-confrontational deal (even if it isn't really a DEAL and the product is mediocre) and everyone is happy.

Personally I love the challenge of negotiations and have in the past made it last weeks until I felt I had gotten the best deal possible.

I also won't purchase from some dealerships but it is not because of the product but rather the "attitude" of the sales people.

I think that Dodge products are given bad press based on the previous generation of vehicles and don't accurately reflect the current state of the product.

I was raised in a Ford family, my dad would never consider any other brand and it carried over on my early purchases. I looked around and saw there were some really desirable cars made by the other guys.

I have owned and enjoyed Ford, Mercury, Pontiac, Chevrolet, Toyota, Datsun/Nissan, Honda and currently Dodge vehicles. They have all had their strengths and weaknesses but none of these strengths or weaknesses were the fault of the salesmen that I purchased the vehicles from!

Enjoy your new Silverado and hopefully it doesn't suffer from the cold startup piston slap that seems to occur in quite a few of the 5.3 V8s. Rick
    >>On the 4.7 you need to be careful with the clips that hold the heater hoses. They are very fragile. The plastic on the hinge side is very thin, so it's definately not designed to be opened and closed several times. I broke the one on the passenger side when reinstalling it. <<

Yep. Know exactly what you're talking about. I broke the same one, only I leaned on it with my arm. You just reminded me that I need to order one of those.

By the way, I was a little surprised when I removed the plugs that I saw no signs of anti-seize on the threads. Then I noticed that the service manual doesn't mention using any. I must say that the plugs weren't difficult to remove. But I used anti-seize anyway.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • 3rdtime3rdtime Member Posts: 7
    I started reading these boards about 2 months ago when I was waiting a on new QC I had ordered.
    My 1st response to the board was to advise Lotech1 to chill out and I did it in a nice manor. Several of you came to his defense as if he was acting rational. I don't know, maybe you regular contributors feel the need to be "Fatherly" toward the "Child Like" that respond here. This guy never had a problem that wasn't caused by somebody else, always got a better deal than the next guy, always sells at a profit, and now I hope is bothering everybody at a GM site. I'm ready for the response......I only hope there will be more all around productive discussion taking place. MY 2CENTS!
    I don't specifically remember the earlier post that you're referring to, but let me just say that what you observed was people trying to be helpful and give someone the benefit of the doubt. Admittedly, you may have seen something I did not.

I now question the veracity of that person. I don't know too many people that are willing to sacrifice a big whack on depreciation with a vehicle that new and with so few miles, and give up so quickly on a otherwise good vehicle. Most people I know go on the attack and will start to make life miserable for a dealer like that, and I don't blame them.

Like a lot of people, I've come to be highly suspicious of dealer service anyway, so the product is more important to me. I might have to interface with the dealer's service department for up to three or four years, but I'm going to have to live with the product much longer. My last three vehicle were over ten years old when I replaced them.

The emphatically stated comment about being much happier with a vehicle he hadn't been in for more than a day or so, coupled with the noticeably pro-Chevy hype about how good GM was, sort of has me very suspicious, if you know what I mean.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Speaking for myself, there have been a few individuals in the past who obviously were so deficient in personality that Mother Theresa would have had a hard time dealing with them. Being the civilized Mopar owners that we are we can't just come out and tell the person that they are just jerks or stupid or obnoxious or whatever fits the case. That would reflect badly on Edmunds and the Dakota Owners Group. Instead we lay it between the lines and pleasantly explain in non offensive terms we think they are _______! (fill in the blank)and they eventually go away. It is kinda like dealing with a child, there are times you would just like to _________ (fill in the blank) but that is not sociably acceptable so you find a more socially acceptable way to deal with the problem child and in doing so it makes you a better person. <grin> By the way have you gotten your new Quad yet?? Tell us about it, you'll feel better once you have it off your chest. Welcome aboard. Rick
  • 3rdtime3rdtime Member Posts: 7
    My apologies to Edmunds and the Dakota Owners Group if my last post was too provocative. Rick, your post(#2296)is a good example of laying it between the lines. I agree that is usually the best way to handle the situation, assuming the intended recipient has the ability to read between the lines. But enough already. The new Quad is here and I'll be glad when the break in period is over. This is my 3rd Dakota, (3rdtime)
    started with a 87 2WD V6 which I only had for 3 years, the shortest I've ever owned a vehicle, lousy mileage. Next was a 94 4WD with the 318,
    mileage was much better than the 87 V6. I had that one for 9 years, my Son is driving it now. No complaints with that truck, it still looks and runs near new. Only thing that doesn't work on it is the 2nd fan speed. Rebates and buying on the Employee plan ( my Father Inlaw retired Chrysler), helping out my son, made it time for a new truck, and the rear doors will make it easier to load ( and maybe more importantly, unload ) the Grand kids LOL. I got fairly loaded with options and so far I'm quite happy with the purchase. I'll keep checking in to read, question, and even contribute. Some of you guys seem well informed, thank you for sharing. BTW never met Mother Theresa, and now I never will, but I'm sure we would have gotten along famously.

Regards,

Dale
    iowabigguy: Guess I'm used to dealing with "refined" GM people instead of deficient ______ dealers. Never had a problem with negotiations until I purchased the Dodge. Then of course, most of the other salesmen were knowledgeable and knew their product line :-) If I have trouble I'll take the Chevy to the dealer as they've fixed other problems with no hassles.

Dusty: Guess you run the numbers diffently than I do. Got $1,500 more than I paid for the Dakota new. Never mean't to insult your intelligence. My mistake on the wording. Good luck with your Dakota.

3rdtime: Don't need anyone to come to my defense. Watch the blood pressure eh?
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    GM dealers are probably no more refined on average than Dodge dealers. We had a bad experience with our Chevy dealer and the Chevy truck we purchased. Only difference is, we took a big hit when we went to trade that thing in.

You want real "service" at a dealership. Buy a Lexus and give them a try. After having our Lexus serviced there last week I almost wanted to trade my car in for a Lexus.
  • ferousferous Member Posts: 226
    I have a maintenance question (this is the maintenance section... right?)

My check engine light came on yesterday and I flipped the key 3 times to get the P-code. It reads...

P0455 - EVAP Leak Monitor Large Leak Detected

Can anyone tell me what this means?

Thanks
  • bja4bja4 Member Posts: 67
    I had this code appear once when my truck was fairly new. I let my wife put gas in it once. The code appeared right after accelerating hard to onto the highway during a cold winter month. I figured out the gas cap was loose. The truck was still under warantee, so I took to it in anyway to have the code cleared. NPF (no problem found). Now that my truck is out of warantee, I will disconnect the battery for a while to clear the code. Programming radio stations is a lot cheaper and faster than taking it to the dealership. If it's a real problem the code should appear again.
    2000 Club cab 4x4 Sport Plus, 3.92 rear, 5-speed, 4.7L, one ton package.
    Is the three-key-flips feature only on earlier versions of the Dakota? I tried that with my 2003 and it didn't appear to work.

According to a co-worker, if you leave the gas cap loose on a newer Dakota you will get a malfunction lamp illumination (MIL lamp). My daughter's old Explorer would get a malfunction indication if she fueled the vehicle without shutting off the engine.

I can't find a list of diagnostic trouble codes in the 2003 Dakota service manual like I've seen in past Chrysler/Dodge books.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    This is a very common question. I have answered it too many times to count. Here is the "short version":

All modern vehicles (by federal law... aka OBDII) have to test for leaks in the venting system of the fuel tank. The EEC system (Evaperative Emmission Control) is supposed to store up any fumes from the gasoline while parked then feed them to the engine to be burned when the engine is running.

Imagine an underground parkinglot where all of the car fuel tanks are venting gasoline fumes into the air..... the explosion would level a city block!!

The Dakota has several tests that take place based on time, number of starts, temp. and other factors. The test we are concerned with here uses a pump located on the firewall above the engine.

This pump (heard as a ticking or thumping sound under the hood when you start your Dakota) trys to build a slight pressure in the space above the fuel in the gastank.
     If pressure cannot be created then thee P0455 code is thrown. This is usually a gas cap that was not tightened according to the owners manual. (On my Dakota, a porkupine had chewed thru the fuel vent hoses and I got the P0455)

One of the other "tests" that are done is the 'pressure holding test' where the pressure in the fuel tank is checked to be able to hold for several minutes.
    Does the ignition on-off sequence work to give codes on the newer Dakotas?

Bests,
    Dusty
    Thanks for the suggestions. The gas tank cap was the first thing I tried. I've looked for any loose hoses, but havn't found any. I need to fill up again tonight, and if it doesn't reset by Saturday, then I will disconnect the battery.

The 3 key turns should still work on the newer trucks as far as I know.
    1) start with the key turned to the first click (where the steering wheel is unlocked and everything is "OFF")
    2) Turn the key to the next position (the "ON" position) and back to the "OFF" position.
    3) Repeat step 2
    4) Turn the key to the "ON" position and leave it there.
    Note: Steps 2-4 need to be a constant pattern. eg - from lock position to the off position, on, off, on, off, on
    5) Look at the odometer read out for any P-codes.
  • ronslakieronslakie Member Posts: 58
    When I ordered my 2K Dak CC I ordered the heavy duty battery thinking I would get at least five years out of it. Now I find after 3 1/2 years it is on its last leg. It has never been run down by leaving the lights or other accessories on. I don't have any exotic accessories other than powered MTX Thunderforms, which have been installed for more than a year. Have any others had this experience?

Ron
    When you got the "heavy duty" battery you got larger amp hour capacity battery than standard. You also got an OEM, low bidder version as well. Cost cutting has its impact in many ways. Rick
  • traumagastraumagas Member Posts: 64
    Dusty,
    I did a search on past post, I noticed you placed the bosh 4418 in your truck. Do you still like them I have a 2001 4.7 4x4 with 53k on it and was going to change the plugs, At present I dont have any noted problems just thought I would change the plugs. I did put the Gibson Cat back exhaust on and it sounds better and not much increase in cab noise.
     The install was a breeze nice product.
      Also does anyone have any experience with those Air type load levelers that are placed to assist springs when loaded? I am placing the IAS edelbrock shocks on as soon as they come in X 4
                         Thanks Jon
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Ron, batteries like many other electronic components are somewhat unpredictable as far as longevity is concerned. My '95 Dakota had the heavy duty battery, I drove it long distances over highways and it never saw its first birthday. I have had batteries last 8 or 9 years. Many things can happen such as plate sulphating, cell buckling, etc. And this can occur with the charging and regulating components operating properly. I think that Rick's posting presents some practical insight. Let's hope that you fare better with subsequent batteries.

Bookitty
    Traumagas,

Well, they're okay. I seem to realize a slightly improved idle. Fuel consumption hasn't changed either way. When I first installed them I actually thought there was a slight decrease in performance, however that is a very subjective response. I have no way of measuring any change in performance and whatever "slight" difference I thought I felt, I don't trust my seat-of-the-pants feel.

I only have a little over 3000 miles on them, so longevity is still to be determined. Oddly, I've talked to guys who have gone 30,000 plus miles on the original Champion factory plugs and don't have a complaint. One fellow told me that he went 58,000 on the factory set and his Dakota started and ran fine.

The tips on the factory plugs at 10,000 were showing signs of erosion around the circumference of the top, typical of any ordinary plug. The gap measured a very uniform .042 on all eight plugs, which isn't really bad for a plug with that many miles.

So, bottom line. Did I get what I paid for?

I think it's to soon to tell. But I think it's fair that nothing was hurt by installing them in my 287 motor. But my results may not be typical.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • pirat5pirat5 Member Posts: 20
    I was changing engine oil, when I noticed drips of fluid on the shaft and boot. Year and a half ago, I had the upper arm on the same side replaced, under the warranty. I wonder, if they could help this problem. Any ideas, what could go wrong and how to fix it? How do you clean throtle body and what cleaners can be used so the sensors don't get damaged. Thanks!
  • ronslakieronslakie Member Posts: 58
    traumagas - I have had the Bosch +4 (#4418) sparkplugs in for 9K miles and I do believe the idle is better. It is interesting to note that the Bosch homepage did not list the +4 as applicable for the 4.7 engine until recently. Also I have seen several posts on the Dakota Mailing List indicating that platinum plugs were not applicable for the 4.7 yet many are using them.

Ron
    (ronslakie) You are mistaken... I also "ordered" a 2000 Dak and still have the full and complete listing of available options. There was no "heavy duty battery" option available in 2000.

The only "heavy duty" option available was the one that added a power-steering cooler.

The 4.7L V8 ALWAYS has the same alternator bolted to it from the engine factory.. this is NOT part of any "heavy duty" option.

Believe me, I researched this with intensity by visiting many dealerships and looked under the hood of many dakotas on the lots. On the 4.7LV8, the radiator, alternator, battery and lots of other stuff WAS ALL THE SAME. The "heavy duty" option (in my opinion) was a big waste of $$ to just get a power steering cooler.

Perhaps, if one had the V6... the "heavy duty" option actually changed a few things.

Another Item I looked at was the "rear end" (aka rear differential) The "heavy duty" option did not always include the 12-bolt rear end. (some "heavy duty" vehicles had the 10-bolt differential cover)
  • captcrunchcaptcrunch Member Posts: 11
    bpeebles: "There was no "heavy duty battery" option available in 2000."
    Dakota sales catalog obtained from dealer April 2000, page 26, under "Options": "Heavy-Duty Service Group - 136-amp alternator [vs. standard 117-amp], 750-amp battery [vs. standard 600-amp], and maximum engine cooling"

bpeebles: "The 4.7L V8 ALWAYS has the same alternator bolted to it from the engine factory.. this is NOT part of any "heavy duty" option."
    Monroney Label from 2000 QC 4.7 in my driveway: "Optional Equipment...Alternator - 136 Amp" [part of Sport Plus Group vs. standard 117-amp].

Them's the facts; all else is opinion.
    Here are the extra Heavy Duty options I ordered.
    AHC - Tow package $234
    ADJ - HD Elelctrial 136 amp Altr. $102
    NMC - HD Cooling $51 (my truck is a stick)

There must be some difference!
    That is EXACTLY why I went to a minimum of 3 dealerships and actually looked under the hoods of many Dakotas... I wanted to know what I would get if I payed for the
    ADJ - HD Elelctrial 136 amp Altr. $102
    NMC - HD Cooling $51

My actual "under the hood research" showed me that the 4.7L ALWAYS had the 136Amp alternator installed. I was not about to pay $102 for an upgraded battery!!

Perhaps somone with the 4.7L but WITHOUT the ADJ option can look at their alternator? >

The NMC option was simply a PowerSteering cooler. (with the automatic tranny, this also added a tranny cooler... but I have the NV3500 tranny)

The factory computer system may 'split out' these options on the window sticker and show additional cost... but after I did my "under the hood research", I realized what options ADJ and NMC were all about.

BTW (ferous) I beleive the AHC option included the ADJ and NMC. (cant get one without the others)

Again, keep in mind that I researched the constraints and inclusions of the option groups. I am very aware of the available options and how they 'meshed' with the other option groups. Some options are not available with with some others or MUST be included some others.
    (For example, the LSD was a manditory option if one orderd the 4.7L V8 and the manual tranny)
    Well, this one isn't that easy.

According to my 2003 Dakota brochure, the implication is that the 136 amp alternator is standard equipment on all Dakotas. My search of the on-line inventory of Marina Dodge in Webster, NY, seems to reinforce that as well as each Dakota they list, regardless of engine or trim level, lists the 136 amp as standard.

The 2003 service manual, however, indicates that 117 amp (pn 56028692AA for 4.7 and 56028914AA for 3.9/5.9) was equiped on some models.

It also looks like all Dakotas get the 600 AH battery unless equiped with trailer towing package, which then gets the 750 AH.

My 2003 DOES NOT have the ADJ option, and I do have the 136 amp alternator.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • jimtjimt Member Posts: 56
    On my 01 4.7, 4x4 Quad with trailer tow, tire handling pkg. 3.92ls etc. I added the IAS shocks and the firestone airbags. I am very happy with the combination. I tow a 22'Gradywhite with my towed weight and tongue weight pretty close to veh. rating and the bags help. Without I would get some rear end sag and with moderate pressure truck remains level. I keep minimum pressure in bags for everyday driving. Jim
    I am sure that the 2003 models may have some differences from 2000 but I beleive the presense of AirConditioning may also include the 136 amp alternator.

If one could FIND a stripped down, 2WD, 4cylinder Dakota... it would perhaps have somthing less than the 136 amp alternator.

Do not forget that part way thru the 2000 model year, the dakota saw quite a bit of 'cheepening' such as the spare was NOT mounted to an aluminimum wheel that matches all of the others on the truck. (mine does!) Also the underhood insulation was not installed in later 2000 Dakotas. The 'air baffle' was not installed on the side of the radiator....etc
     My 2000 Dak was built in November of 1999 and has ALL of the items that were deleted from the build list when the 'cheepining' process began.
    I'll tell you something else that's different as well.

My 2003 is a fairly quiet vehicle. I hear very, very little engine sound except for the exhaust note. At reasonable highway speeds wind noise is almost non-existent. The vast majority of the noise I do hear is from the Goodyear Wranglers. This noise is coming in through the cab vents that are located in the cab's rear bulkhead in front of the box.

I've been in other Daks that didn't have anywhere near the tire noise than mine has so I've been attributing it to the Wranglers. But then I noticed that the service manual shows a rubber gasket that attaches to the bottom of the cab's rear bulkhead. I'm thinking that this is a sound block to prevent under body noise from reaching the cab vents.

I haven't noticed the underhood insulation on other Dakotas. I'm going to check that out.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Okay. I just returned from my Dodge dealer.

Jim T (in the Quad discussion) was correct on the disc brake explanation. Dakotas with a GVW over 5440 lbs. get rear disc brakes.

According to the parts list for 2003, there was no 2.5 4-cylinder engine offered in the Dakota. But previous years listed a 117 amp alternator as standard. Here is where it starts to get a little murky. It appears that the 117 was the standard alternator from 2000 and up, and the Dodge parts database does list the 117 for a 4.7. However, the 136 amp appears to be standard if the vehicle was equiped with factory air conditioning. Since more than 90% of Dakotas built since '97 were shipped with AC, it makes sense that the 136 amp alternator is what you'd see on a 4.7.

2000 Dakotas had a number of little items that were dropped in 2001. The box noise seal I mentioned in my earlier post was dropped in 2001, the underhood silencer and engine bay lamp were dropped in 2002 as were the engine emblems and the black tape filler between the door and rear quarter window on Club Cabs. In 2003 they dropped the "Sport" decals on the side of the door.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    MIne had the heavy duty group which according to the build sheet, incl 136 amp alternator, heavy duty cooling, 7 blade fan I recall, plus a PS cooler.
    it was a 2000 club cab with a build date of 12/19/1999.

The 117 amp Denso alternator was standard.
    Does anyone have a list of the Dakota Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs), or otherwise known as "P" codes?

The 2003 Dakota service manual does appear to list them.

Thanks in advance,
    Dusty
    Dusty - if you're looking for the OBD-II codes, try http://autorepair.about.com. Do a search under "OBD-II".
This discussion has been closed.