Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

What Cars Can Be Flat-Towed Behind an RV?

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2016 in General
What Cars Can Be Flat-Towed Behind an RV?

Here are some tips for finding cars that can be flat-towed behind an RV without a trailer, also known as dinghy towing.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    vwtbvwtb Member Posts: 1
    Where can I find a listing of cars that can be flat towed?
  • Options
    caroleena59caroleena59 Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 2009 Ford Escape. We researched it thoroughly and read the owners manual. We towed it from Seattle to Minnesota and the transmission burnt up. I checked into this and found out that there are many others having this same problem. Ford does not want to take any responsibility as far as admitting this. They will replace the transmission and when asked if we should continue to tow it their answer is: the book says it is towable. So.......guess we will be burning up another transmission for them to replace! Ford has made changes in the 2013 model and the new book states it is not towable. This has been a nightmare so, do not believe what the books say!
  • Options
    rmarshall04rmarshall04 Member Posts: 1
    This is a good list of cars that can be flat tow please click on the link or copy and paste the link to your address bar

http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/
  • Options
    We have a 2014 Kia Sportage AWD. We are going with a 20' enclosed car trailer plus we are using the trailer to put things in like tires and odd thing that would add weight to the RV, as we will have 1,500 lbs of or 10,000 lbs left over. Our RV can pull 10,000 lbs no problem. Will top out at 43,000 lbs when full loaded. But we should never get to that point.
    In short we want to keep our new car and will have works out some other things in to the future like water, tools, solar and ladders and so on.. Pulling a car just will not work for full time in the long run for us... We are 64 feet long.. Yep that makes it hard to get in to places as we know.. . Wish us luck!
  • Options
    TurksBirdTurksBird Member Posts: 1
    I would check the owners manual. Motorhome .com says 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 is towable. Owners manual says it isn’t.
  • Options
    snowball26snowball26 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2020
    The guys above are right, you need to be totally aware of your car's opportunities before flat-towing. My dodge durango 2019 was bought because of its design and mostly because our family is in love with big cars, we have 4 kids plus my wife and me. So, it's pretty comfortable to own such a huge car. Btw, when we were purchasing it, we didn't think about its features. When my best friend came and saw that it's dodge durango, he mentioned that it's the best car for flat-towing and now we are traveling across the country with the our rv(we've even bought a special coffee maker for rv) and our dodge. these trips are the most unforgettable.
  • Options
    CapnACapnA Member Posts: 1

One critical note: only the 2020-2022 Ford Escape hybrid with FWD and the correct e-CVT transmission is flat towable. NOT all versions of the Escape hybrid are flat towable.

Gary Averett
    2021 Ford Escape hybrid with e-CVT transmission (specifically bought to tow behind my motorhome.

• Options
    Laker21Laker21 Member Posts: 9

This is a good list of cars that can be flat tow please click on the link or copy and paste the link to your address bar

http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/website

I can't get your page to load for some reason. Is there any new information that I can use?
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Google "Dinghy towing guide", you'll find what you need.