Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029

Burn.

Both the clutch itself and @breld? :laughing:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Back in the dark ages when I was in high school, a classmate's dad bought a '71 Mach 1 new and let his son sometimes drive it to and from school, incredibly. I got rides home in it from time to time. I think the designers of the last couple of generations of Camaros got their inspiration from that. Visibility was like sitting in a deep bathtub with the windows being up by the ceiling. The view to the rear was essentially nonexistent.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    tjc78 said:

kyfdx said:

The best used cars are from @breld ;)

Plenty of inventory, that’s for sure! :smile:
    Lots of turnover on his lot, as well. If you can't find something you like, just check back in a few weeks days.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    @breld is really such a good sport...
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

now this one, is right up my alley. For the right price, I would love to have one of these as my toy.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-dodge-omni-3/

I have a soft spot for those and the Shelby Chargers since I was a kid. Dad had an 86 Shelby Charger. It was such a cool car to ride in when you were a kid in the 80s.
    or an adult! If you count mid-20's as adult.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    My dad bought a 1972 Ford Torino GT, possibly one of the worst vehicles ever made! I drove it home from the dealership with my best friend and we never made it home...it died 1/2 way there and had to be towed back to the dealer. They promptly put us into a Mustang loaner and they were super embarrassed. It was back and forth to the dealer for about 6 months until they got it all figured out. Horrible vehicle and the worst we ever had. I pushed for the Pontiac LeMans or the GTO and was surprised my dad went with my older brothers wanting the Ford. We had always been a GM family except my mom driving a '66 Lincoln Continental four door and a '72 Lincoln Continental coupe. Both Lincolns were fine automobiles and a nice change after like 5 Cadillacs.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    I've had my brakes checked a few times over the last few years and they always tell me they're fine. Mentioned it again when the axle boot was replaced and again, was told they were fine but, he must've one something because the pedal seems firmer now and not as much travel for them to bite. Having disc breaks at all four corners, wondering what he could've tweaked to make me feel the slight improvement? I really wanted him to swap out the pads with something a bit better than original equipment pads but he said, not needed.
    I know one can adjust rear drum brakes but just not quite sure what he did to the discs to give me that slight improvement?

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    stickguy said:

now this one, is right up my alley. For the right price, I would love to have one of these as my toy.

That bid will skyrocket

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    mjfloyd1 said:

kyfdx said:

The best used cars are from @breld ;)

But an @breld clutch is a ticking time bomb 💣
    I have no worries about the clutch.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,221
    Well his wife was driving the all track. Maybe that’s the missing piece?

That really was an odd fluke in all honesty
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    mjfloyd1 said:

Yeah... and, in the end they covered it. Which says something, as well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    nyccarguy said:

A few weeks ago, the Pilot needed service. In preparation, I bought all my own parts for the mechanic. At close to 3 years & 58K miles I decided it was time for a brake fluid change, the rear differential fluid needed changing, it needed an oil & filter change, & a Tire Rotation.

$4.59 for a bottle of OEM Honda Brake Fluid & a $100.00 Labor Charge (the dealer wanted $150 for a brake fluid service).

$15.26 for 2 bottles of OEM Honda Dual Pump II Fluid & a $75 Labor Charge (the dealer wanted $120 for a rear differential service). Plus the last time I had the diff fluid changed (15K miles), the dealer put too much fluid in (the mechanic measured when he drained it).

Oil & Filter Change was most likely a wash. He charged me $30 Labor and I supplied the OEM Honda Filter & Mobil 1 0W20 Full Synthetic Oil.

Your mechanic didn’t mind you bringing your own parts? A shop I occasionally use has a sign that says “you don’t bring your own bacon and eggs to a restaurant, don’t bring your own parts here”.

My main go-to guy did agree to install my custom exhaust and strut tower brace however but I asked permission first.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

If I had the garage space I would have bid on this. Far from perfect but I could have it looking much better with a weekend or so of effort..

Could you ever be happy with 175 emissions choked horsepower?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

That could be fun.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

If I had the garage space I would have bid on this. Far from perfect but I could have it looking much better with a weekend or so of effort..

Could you ever be happy with 175 emissions choked horsepower?
    That is easily fixed.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I'm confused by this one. I guess someone decided it was a good idea to make fake buttresses to make a Silverado look like an Avalanche? It looks like it may be part of the tonneau cover, but still...
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    edited November 2020
    mjfloyd1 said:

I’d agree with it being more of a fluke than anything, but once it happened I did enough research online to discover that a prematurely failed clutch was not the most unusual thing for VW.

She was in bumper to bumper traffic in the mountains - I’m sure that put strain on the clutch, but for it to completely fail on a car with 7k miles was hard to accept. My wife is a bit north of 50 - meaning she grew up driving manuals and has had plenty of them during the time we’ve been together...a Jetta, a couple MINIs, her BMW wagon...and those were her primary cars; she obviously drove my cars too.

We got the feeling the VW sales advisor thought she bought the manual Alltrack as a novelty - she went to great lengths to let him know that she was well versed in operating a clutch. 😀

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

edited November 2020
    I’ve just been teasing you. I don’t think that it was anything other than a fluke
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

nyccarguy said:

A few weeks ago, the Pilot needed service. In preparation, I bought all my own parts for the mechanic. At close to 3 years & 58K miles I decided it was time for a brake fluid change, the rear differential fluid needed changing, it needed an oil & filter change, & a Tire Rotation.

$4.59 for a bottle of OEM Honda Brake Fluid & a $100.00 Labor Charge (the dealer wanted $150 for a brake fluid service).

$15.26 for 2 bottles of OEM Honda Dual Pump II Fluid & a $75 Labor Charge (the dealer wanted $120 for a rear differential service). Plus the last time I had the diff fluid changed (15K miles), the dealer put too much fluid in (the mechanic measured when he drained it).

Oil & Filter Change was most likely a wash. He charged me $30 Labor and I supplied the OEM Honda Filter & Mobil 1 0W20 Full Synthetic Oil.

Your mechanic didn’t mind you bringing your own parts? A shop I occasionally use has a sign that says “you don’t bring your own bacon and eggs to a restaurant, don’t bring your own parts here”.

My main go-to guy did agree to install my custom exhaust and strut tower brace however but I asked permission first.
    He doesn’t mind. I do always ask. He’s said to me: whether you get the parts or I get them, it doesn’t make a difference.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    With the fintail, they are usually more than happy to let me provide a part for unusual jobs, saves them the work, as some bits aren't easily accessible.
    nyccarguy said:

He doesn’t mind. I do always ask. He’s said to me: whether you get the parts or I get them, it doesn’t make a difference.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    mjfloyd1 said:

I’ve just been teasing you. I don’t think that it was anything other than a fluke

Oh I know. I just quoted your post as an easy way to respond with my wife’s driving resume! 😀

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

I would have a fight to the death if the dealer tried to tell me it was my fault for trashing a clutch that quick. I was discussing manuals with my son this weekend (in terms of him looking at stuff like an M2 and Cayman) and I went back over the math, and I think I have driven over 1/2 million miles in a manual trans, and if you count trying out other peoples cars and test drives, rental trucks, etc. I must have driven 60-70 different ones. So I think I am capable of doing it!

Strong work defending your wife’s driving skills.

I’m almost 56, but I don’t think that I’ve done any favors for any clutches... awkward
    corvette said:

I'm confused by this one. I guess someone decided it was a good idea to make fake buttresses to make a Silverado look like an Avalanche? It looks like it may be part of the tonneau cover, but still...

My question is do you really believe they are discounting it $9500 in a market where trucks are overvalued?

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    qbrozen said:

Oh, and all the head bolts were in good shape, so should be no worries on the head gaskets.

What is "the issue" with the factory bolts?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    xwesx said:

qbrozen said:

Oh, and all the head bolts were in good shape, so should be no worries on the head gaskets.

They are a bad design. They are Torx. It is kind of concerning that any engineer would not realize taking AWAY metal from the top of the bolt reduces the thickness at the point you need to be the strongest, and they will snap with time under enough stress. The replacements are inverted so the top is properly thicker.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I understand the Chrysler was coming out of the dark days of having to beg the U.S. Gov’t to guarantee loans for them to survive at the time. But, I always thought that while the products they put out in that era were a reflection of what they were going through, couldn’t they have shown at least a little styling flare?

That GLH is a perfect example. It looks like they did the absolute bare minimum to put a body over a frame. Box made with metal panels. I don’t think the grill could possibly look more generic.

Instead of Omni they could have called it the generic “Acme” car.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    I heard back from the seller of the Swapalease link I posted a few days back. It was legit and the truck is already in the process of being transferred. He told me despite his request, they didn't want him to take his post down until the deal was complete, he said he's had over 100 calls!

I understand the Chrysler was coming out of the dark days of having to beg the U.S. Gov’t to guarantee loans for them to survive at the time. But, I always thought that while the products they put out in that era were a reflection of what they were going through, couldn’t they have shown at least a little styling flare?

That GLH is a perfect example. It looks like they did the absolute bare minimum to put a body over a frame. Box made with metal panels. I don’t think the grill could possibly look more generic.

Actually I recall it received criticism from auto journos at the time for being more or less a blatant copy of the hugely successful VW Golf/Rabbit body design. Don't recall much criticism of the VW design.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    qbrozen said:

xwesx said:

qbrozen said:

They are a bad design. They are Torx. It is kind of concerning that any engineer would not realize taking AWAY metal from the top of the bolt reduces the thickness at the point you need to be the strongest, and they will snap with time under enough stress. The replacements are inverted so the top is properly thicker.
    You can reuse the head bolts? I seem to remember MB used TTY bolts some, but that may have been quite a few years ago.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

He replaced the head bolts
    edited November 2020
    mjfloyd1 said:

He replaced the head bolts

He said "Oh, and all the head bolts were in good shape, so should be no worries on the head gaskets." so I assumed he was using the ones that were in there. B)

I meant to ask; How's the Stingray working. Are you driving it?

edited November 2020
    He left the head gaskets and replaced the head bolts If an original head bolt would have been broken then he would have had to replace the head gaskets.

Sting Ray is good. I had the gauge cluster refurbished (after the tach needle fell off) and reinstalled it along with a new dash wiring harness. The new dash wiring harness had some pins that were not well engaged at the firewall connection so I was lucky enough to have to pull it all out and send in the wiring harness. They sent a replacement and all is good now. I need to install the radio an shifter console

Still drives like a tractor...but I grin from ear to ear
    mjfloyd1 said:

He left the head gaskets and replaced the head bolts If an original head bolt would have been broken then he would have had to replace the head gaskets.

Sting Ray is good. I had the gauge cluster refurbished (after the tach needle fell off) and reinstalled it along with a new dash wiring harness. The new dash wiring harness had some pins that were not well engaged at the firewall connection so I was lucky enough to have to pull it all out and send in the wiring harness. They sent a replacement and all is good now. I need to install the radio and shifer console

I know what you mean.

I had a '65 and '67 coupe. I always wanted a '63 coupe, but I waited too long until the prices got crazy.

venture said:

mjfloyd1 said:

Sting Ray is good. I had the gauge cluster refurbished (after the tach needle fell off) and reinstalled it along with a new dash wiring harness. The new dash wiring harness had some pins that were not well engaged at the firewall connection so I was lucky enough to have to pull it all out and send in the wiring harness. They sent a replacement and all is good now. I need to install the radio and shifer console

I know what you mean.

I had a '65 and '67 coupe. I always wanted a '63 coupe, but I waited too long until the prices got crazy.
    You got the disc brakes tho.

I sweat and swear when someone pulls out in front of me with these drums. I never know what wheel will lock up. I try to keep my distance but it is tough sometimes
    Strong work @qbrozen on the MB repairs.

Interesting that they reassembled the cams incorrectly. Should really go like stink when you are done!

I believe they were styling it after the VW Rabbit with which it was often confused. That was an era of square cars for the most part.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852

Yeah but it had a Turbo :smile:

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

mjfloyd1 said:

I sweat and swear when someone pulls out in front of me with these drums. I never know what wheel will lock up. I try to keep my distance but it is tough sometimes

Same was true for me with my '69 Econoline (and still true for my '69 C20)... best modification I ever did was the disc brake conversion on that machine! It is amazing the difference in braking... especially with directional control when doing a hard stop.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    qbrozen said:

mjfloyd1 said:

Interesting that they reassembled the cams incorrectly. Should really go like stink when you are done!

And it was fast before! Lol!
    But it did idle a little rough, and had the CEL. Hopefully both fixed. I’m ready to fire it up but now the battery is dead so it is on the charger. I replaced the rear hatch struts, too. Now it doesn’t close on my head. Ha.
    Nice! That was surprisingly fast (work). I want this car when you're done with it. :D
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    xwesx said:

mjfloyd1 said:

Same was true for me with my '69 Econoline (and still true for my '69 C20)... best modification I ever did was the disc brake conversion on that machine! It is amazing the difference in braking... especially with directional control when doing a hard stop.
    Ditto for my POS 1973 Bronco(but I repeat myself).

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

xwesx said:

qbrozen said:

mjfloyd1 said:

And it was fast before! Lol!
    But it did idle a little rough, and had the CEL. Hopefully both fixed. I’m ready to fire it up but now the battery is dead so it is on the charger. I replaced the rear hatch struts, too. Now it doesn’t close on my head. Ha.
    Nice! That was surprisingly fast (work). I want this car when you're done with it. :D
    Well, you'd have to make me an offer I can't refused. ;b

Still haven't started her. The battery may be done for, for some reason. I had disconnected the post under the hood while working on it, so I'm not sure what's up. But I charged it for quite some time and, although the dash at least lights up now, it doesn't have enough juice to turn over. I even tried jumping with the Dodge, but no luck. I've plugged in the trickle charger and will let it go overnight.

BTW, I was not at all aware that the battery is located under the passenger seat, in the floor. That's crazy. OH, and I discovered I have no spare! The well is empty. :'(

Yep you have to lift a panel and make a couple cuts in carpet to change the battery but pretty straight forward.

Bummer about no spare tire
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    @breld what are your impressions of the JCW so far? Asking for a friend.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    "Watch JR remodel two bathrooms?" He needs to post some car content soon.
    too busy trying to get the shop going I assume. Can't be doing both!

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090
    stickguy said:

too busy trying to get the shop going I assume. Can't be doing both!

He also mentioned that the bottom end of the flipping market has dried up due to the price increases. I suspect we will see a lot of shop related content in the near term.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4