Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited November 2020
    An attorney friend had his Caddy go up in flames in his driveway. He had different carriers for his home and auto insurance and they fought back and forth until he threatened to sue them both under Kentucky's Bad Faith statute.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    I guess that is a good reason to bundle home and auto.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

kyfdx said:

No more politics.

And, we definitely don't want to know who you voted for.

Switch it up.....I just got a recall notice on my Stinger. They tell me it may catch on fire, but they don’t know how to fix it. So, not sure exactly what they want me to do. They said in the recall that if it does catch on fire, pull over to the side of the road and have it towed to a dealership. DUH!!!!!!

I’m sure there is some sort of CYA going on here, but this is the stupidest recall notice I’ve ever been a part of.

In short....”if your car catches on fire, don’t stay in it. Get out of it. We don’t know how to fix it, but take it somewhere and let it burn.”
    Wow; are you saying it might burst into flame- even if you don't open the hood or attempt some frightening procedure like adding windshield washer fluid or checking tire pressures? Scary!
    Some folks would need asbestos versions of their Depends just to back it out of the garage...
    Not quite sure what they’re asking me. The notice states there have been reports of engine bay fires, and they are aware of the issue. But, they also admit they don’t know how to fix it (I read that as saying they don’t know how to fix it cheaply). And, I shouldn’t park it close to any standing structure (sitting in front of my house, now...not in the garage or driveway). And, if it catches on fire while I’m driving it, to park it immediately and have it towed to the nearest KIA dealership.

Love the car. HATE this sort of BS from manufacturers.

I guess they weighed the cost of paying for people who may be injured and physical loss and it ended up being cheaper than getting a fix and loaner car until they fix the car.

I don’t know how many cars they’re talking about with the issue. Nor, do I know when/if they may have a fix.

Really, you guys know how I get about this sort of stuff. I’m just contemplating what direction I may go.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    When my wife & I first started dating, her Mom had an early ‘90s Plymouth Acclaim with somewhere around 200K miles. It lit itself on fire in the parking lot at work one day. That car was the epitome of garbage Chrysler engineering from that era. It squeaked, rattled, was constantly in the shop, something was always broken, body panels were misaligned...

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

kyfdx said:

No more politics.

Switch it up.....I just got a recall notice on my Stinger. They tell me it may catch on fire, but they don’t know how to fix it. So, not sure exactly what they want me to do. They said in the recall that if it does catch on fire, pull over to the side of the road and have it towed to a dealership. DUH!!!!!!

I’m sure there is some sort of CYA going on here, but this is the stupidest recall notice I’ve ever been a part of.

In short....”if your car catches on fire, don’t stay in it. Get out of it. We don’t know how to fix it, but take it somewhere and let it burn.”
    Wow; are you saying it might burst into flame- even if you don't open the hood or attempt some frightening procedure like adding windshield washer fluid or checking tire pressures? Scary!
    Some folks would need asbestos versions of their Depends just to back it out of the garage...
    Not quite sure what they’re asking me. The notice states there have been reports of engine bay fires, and they are aware of the issue. But, they also admit they don’t know how to fix it (I read that as saying they don’t know how to fix it cheaply). And, I shouldn’t park it close to any standing structure (sitting in front of my house, now...not in the garage or driveway). And, if it catches on fire while I’m driving it, to park it immediately and have it towed to the nearest KIA dealership.

I guess they weighed the cost of paying for people who may be injured and physical loss and it ended up being cheaper than getting a fix and loaner car until they fix the car.

I don’t know how many cars they’re talking about with the issue. Nor, do I know when/if they may have a fix.

Really, you guys know how I get about this sort of stuff. I’m just contemplating what direction I may go.
    Basically Kia is saying, "Your car might catch on fire, but we don't know why- so keep an eye on it."
    Not exactly confidence inspiring...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    nyccarguy said:

When my wife & I first started dating, her Mom had an early ‘90s Plymouth Acclaim with somewhere around 200K miles. It lit itself on fire in the parking lot at work one day. That car was the epitome of garbage Chrysler engineering from that era. It squeaked, rattled, was constantly in the shop, something was always broken, body panels were misaligned...

Yet it made it to 200k miles. I’d take a few rattles for that kind of longevity.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031

nyccarguy said:

Yet it made it to 200k miles. I’d take a few rattles for that kind of longevity.
    "The food here is just awful, isn't it?"

"Yes! And such small portions!!" :sunglasses:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

And, I shouldn’t park it close to any standing structure (sitting in front of my house, now...not in the garage or driveway).

I remember hearing a similar advisory from a manufacturer not long ago. Can't quite recall which one. GM? Ford? Hyundai? Not sure.

Ruh-roh. :laughing:

Didn't BMW have the same problem with some electrical component being likely to ignite, so you had to park outside?

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    edited November 2020
    When I switched insurance companies for my condo and my car back on October 22nd to Allstate, I ended up paying about the same as I was paying at GEICO but for a better policy (collision was $1000 deductible with GEICO but only $500 with Allstate and I now have $45 a day for rental reimbursement along with roadside assistance). The real savings was with the Condo policy - $654 a year with the Allstate subsidiary compared to $1476 with Liberty Mutual).

Yesterday, I got a “Good Driver” bonus check from Allstate for $131.00 because I am enrolled in their “Drivewise” program managed by their APP on my iPhone. It’s 12% of my policy cost. I can qualify for 2 12% rebates per year bringing the net cost of my 6 month policy to $958 compared to $1097 with my old GEICO policy.

In summary, I finally made a good decision about my insurance policies.

2021 Genesis G90

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224
    stickguy said:

Didn't BMW have the same problem with some electrical component being likely to ignite, so you had to park outside?</blockquote

Yes. BMW

https://abcnews.go.com/US/bmw-recalls-million-vehicles-fire-risk/story?id=50922136

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466
    kyfdx said:

No more politics.

Speak for yourself, please.🤣

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964

kyfdx said:

No more politics.

It is similar to the Takata Air Bags. We have a notice the 2014 C has a recall notice to replace the airbags. Finally, after about 2 or 3 years they now have the parts. What were we supposed to do for that time.....not drive the car? I think the warning is a heads up, chances of a fire are small, but it could happen....probably best to park outside and be sure home and car insurance are paid up.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    abacomike said:

When I switched insurance companies for my condo and my car back on October 22nd to Allstate, I ended up paying about the same as I was paying at GEICO but for a better policy (collision was $1000 deductible with GEICO but only $500 with Allstate and I now have $45 a day for rental reimbursement along with roadside assistance). The real savings was with the Condo policy - $654 a year with the Allstate subsidiary compared to $1476 with Liberty Mutual).

Yesterday, I got a “Good Driver” bonus check from Allstate for $131.00 because I am enrolled in their “Drivewise” program managed by their APP on my iPhone. It’s 12% of my policy cost. I can qualify for 2 12% rebates per year bringing the net cost of my 6 month policy to $958 compared to $1097 with my old GEICO policy.

In summary, I finally made a good decision about my insurance policies.

Nice when that happens. Same for us when we switched to AAA. We actually pay LESS when it renews, and they’ve been giving us credits all year for our diminished driving during the pandemic.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466

What? No calling the fire department? Are they expecting you to have it towed while it's still burning?
    You can only call the fire department if you’re a DIYer and your fire bottles fail when something goes sideways.😳

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    KIA Fire seems to only happen if the anti-lock brake light comes on!

Hyundai says that owners shouldn’t drive their cars if their SUV’s anti-lock brake warning light does come on. Instead, owners should disconnect the positive cable on the battery. They can also contact an auto dealer for a loaner car if necessary.
    The latest Kia recalls stem from a similar fire concern. Kia is recalling over 9,000 Stinger sports sedans that have a 3.3-liter turbocharged engine. According to U.S. safety regulators, these Stingers can also catch fire because of an anti-lock brake control computer glitch. However, since Kia is still investigating the potential hazard, Stinger owners are advised to park outside too.

At this point, Kia is aware of six known fire reports, and there haven’t been any injuries. Like Hyundai, Kia will notify Stinger owners about these potential hazard by mail. In the meantime, owners can also check for any safety recall actions on Kia’s recall portal.

stickguy said:

Didn't BMW have the same problem with some electrical component being likely to ignite, so you had to park outside?

It involved a connection at the HVAC fan. When the recall was issued I worked at BMW, so I asked some of the techs about it since my son drove an E90 affected by the recall. They all said that they had seen the connection get hot enough to melt the plug - but they hadn't seen any come close to igniting. And at least Munich knew what the issue was.

kyfdx said:

No more politics.

We all get tense when recalls like this are announced. GG, it appears you are taking prudent precautions regarding the potential of a fire occurring in the engine bay of your Stinger by parking the vehicle outside rather than in the garage.

From your comments about the recall, you claim KIA may not know how to fix the malfunction (economically or not economically) which could also mean that they do not know the cause as of this date. That is even more ominous!😱🥶🤭

It’s quite unsettling, as an understatement! Personally, I’d be afraid to drive my car if I was informed by the manufacturer that it might catch fire!

I guess so long as you adhere to the instructions provided by the manufacturer, if something does happen to the Stinger you could not be a held as a contributing cause of the fire. Scary, to be sure!

2021 Genesis G90

nyccarguy said:

I'd take a cyanide pill.

edited November 2020
    mjfloyd1 said:

stickguy said:

Yes. BMW

https://abcnews.go.com/US/bmw-recalls-million-vehicles-fire-risk/story?id=50922136
    I remember when that story came out; the media's mission statement "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story." was in full effect.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860

kyfdx said:

No more politics.

Basically Kia is saying, "Your car might catch on fire, but we don't know why- so keep an eye on it."
    Not exactly confidence inspiring...
    "If you feel your feet getting real warm, pull over, shut it off, and get out."

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

abacomike said:

kyfdx said:

No more politics.

We all get tense when recalls like this are announced. GG, it appears you are taking prudent precautions regarding the potential of a fire occurring in the engine bay of your Stinger by parking the vehicle outside rather than in the garage.

From your comments about the recall, you claim KIA may not know how to fix the malfunction (economically or not economically) which could also mean that they do not know the cause as of this date. That is even more ominous!😱🥶🤭

It’s quite unsettling, as an understatement! Personally, I’d be afraid to drive my car if I was informed by the manufacturer that it might catch fire!

I guess so long as you adhere to the instructions provided by the manufacturer, if something does happen to the Stinger you could not be a held as a contributing cause of the fire. Scary, to be sure!
    When I (unfortunately) had a Ford Escape a few years ago that had a recall (or notice or something) about a fire was possible in the engine bay: it was gone in a few weeks.

I started telling Mrs. venture about the Bronco's quarterback situation and I realized that this virus needs to get over.

Really tired of hibernating.

stickguy said:

How many Teslas burned up.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I am watching the Bucs and Chiefs playing. Without doubt, watching Tom Brady, at his age, playing so well is mind-boggling - perhaps the best QB ever! And he is playing against the best QB in the NFL (Mahomes) who, if he stays healthy, is destined to become the best QB ever!

Mahomes, for his age (25 years old), is so cool, calm, and so sure of his capabilities on the field. I don’t remember any QB as being as accomplished at 25 as Mahomes is.

I’M JEALOUS of BOTH OF THEM!🤓🤪😜

2021 Genesis G90

driver100 said:

KIA Fire seems to only happen if the anti-lock brake light comes on!

Hyundai says that owners shouldn’t drive their cars if their SUV’s anti-lock brake warning light does come on. Instead, owners should disconnect the positive cable on the battery. They can also contact an auto dealer for a loaner car if necessary.
    The latest Kia recalls stem from a similar fire concern. Kia is recalling over 9,000 Stinger sports sedans that have a 3.3-liter turbocharged engine. According to U.S. safety regulators, these Stingers can also catch fire because of an anti-lock brake control computer glitch. However, since Kia is still investigating the potential hazard, Stinger owners are advised to park outside too.

At this point, Kia is aware of six known fire reports, and there haven’t been any injuries. Like Hyundai, Kia will notify Stinger owners about these potential hazard by mail. In the meantime, owners can also check for any safety recall actions on Kia’s recall portal.

GG should have bought a Soul. No chance of dying by fire. Boredom maybe but not fire.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,141
    venture said:

I started telling Mrs. venture about the Bronco's quarterback situation and I realized that this virus needs to get over.

Really tired of hibernating.

The defense kept them in the game for most of the first half.

After that, it was "The Saints Keep Marching On..."

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

still can't compare to the 1st place, 4-7 Giants!

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132

stickguy said:

How many Teslas burned up.
    The more recent news was about failing software IIRC.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    stickguy said:

The NFC east is a disgrace.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    Have I mentioned how excited I am to watch the Eagles - Seahawks game tomorrow? Ugh.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    If we only get beat by 14 I’d be happy.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    Never mind Thanksgiving leftovers, what about whale leftovers? :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6CLumsir34
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

Jones has improved exponentially over the past few weeks. Either he finally realized it himself or someone convinced him to stop perpetuating Manning’s bad habits. He has been a totally different QB.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    qbrozen said:

tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

Jones has improved exponentially over the past few weeks. Either he finally realized it himself or someone convinced him to stop perpetuating Manning’s bad habits. He has been a totally different QB.
    Don’t get too excited. Almost lost to the Bengals, today..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Have I mentioned how excited I am to watch the Eagles - Seahawks game tomorrow? Ugh.

We felt the same way about the Dolphins for many years. This is the first year in a long time that the Dolphins are in the hunt. They have a great defense but their offensive line is barely passable.

2021 Genesis G90

mjfloyd1 said:

stickguy said:

Yes. BMW

I remember when that story came out; the media's mission statement "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story." was in full effect.
    Remember when a national news outlet (ABC maybe?) rigged a pick up to explode to “prove” how dangerous they were? That’s when my mistrust of the media started.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    The next fashion accessory, digital license plates.
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34748524/digital-license-plates-coming-2021/
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    I remember that too. NBC settled a lawsuit from GM after Dateline admitted rigging a pickup to explode to prove how unsafe the gas tanks were on those trucks. Yep. Please be sure to remove incendiary devices from your GM full size pickup before crashing. B)

And 60 Minutes insisted that if a driver holds the brake down an Audi 5000 would somehow hurtle through garage walls due to "unintended acceleration" power of the 5 inline engine. With the brake held down? I think CBS admitted to rigging the Audi 5000 with some kind of compressed air to force the trans to shift into drive with no driver at the wheel in their "news" report.

Not car related but the lust for TV news ratings was a central plot in Broadcast News my favorite movie with Albert Brooks. In 1976, Network got there first with "the story of Howard Beale, the first known instance of a man who was killed because he had lousy ratings."
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:

tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

At least the Giants seem to have a coach now who knows what end is up. Amazing how many teams still do not. I don't know what's going on with the Bears, as the play-calling was atrocious and the defense seemed to be somewhere else all game. Khalil Mack is either secretly injured or his talents suddenly have gone into a steep decline. Then you have the unhappy Arians/Brady pairing in Tampa, with a coach trying to force his veteran QB to do things he does not do well. And I have no clue about the Dallas situation, and apparently their coaching staff does not either.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:

tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

I’m not silly enough to think they can accomplish anything great this year. But they are adding to the W column and getting better. Bodes well for the coming years. Heck, if Jones continues to play this way, Barkley actually stays healthy, and they utilize Tate properly, they might actually have a decent team.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    Darth Vader has left the planet. RIP David Prowse.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

edited November 2020
    Those digital license plates are pretty cool;

Good because you can broadcast a message like an amber alert, or "This Car is Stolen". Not so good because of the cost, there are two aspects to the cost of an Rplate, the price of the screen itself and then the subscription connection. The basic Rplate with a five-year battery is $499 and then either $55 a year or $4.99 a month.

The newest ways to make a lot of money these days is to find ways to digitalize services and charge extra, like red light cameras. Now we have cameras that snap pictures on streets where people drive fast too.....the car gets charged for speeding.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited November 2020
    Tesla recent recall was suspension parts problems.

Current one this week is roofs popping off.

https://youtu.be/IHp_-JzGDg0

https://www.thehour.com/business/article/Tesla-Recalls-more-than-9-500-Model-X-and-Model-15759944.php

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Hopefully Jones is good to play next week.

Digital plates? Seems like a bad idea. People will just change them when they want to hide, like getaway car or electronic toll plate readers.

stickguy said:

Digital plates? Seems like a bad idea. People will just change them when they want to hide, like getaway car or electronic toll plate readers.

You don't really own the message on the plate....so only they (DOT) can change the message on your plate. I wonder if you can steal the whole unit?

It will take 5 minutes for the hackers to solve that.

edited November 2020
    I saw one of these yesterday for the first time ever. Looked odd but kind of nice. I knew it was a BMW of course, but took a long time to figure out the year.

Anyone know the model and year?
    Just noticed....I think you can figure out the model pretty easily!

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Lots of legalese in the recall letter, but here’s the most pertinent part.....

Here is the letter from Kia:
    ***REMEDY NOT AVAILABLE YET*** KIA MOTORS HAS DECIDED THAT A DEFECT, WHICH RELATES TO MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY, EXISTS IN CERTAIN 2019 MY KIA STINGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE 3.3-LITER GASOLINE DIRECT INJECTION (GDI) TURBO ENGINES. THE DEFECT CAN RESULT IN A FIRE IN THE VEHICLE'S ENGINE COMPARTMENT, THUS INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY.

AN ENGINE COMPARTMENT FIRE MAY OCCUR WHILE DRIVING IN THE AREA WHERE THE HYDRAULIC ELECTRONIC CONTROL UNIT (HECU) IS LOCATED, THEREBY INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY. ILLUMINATION OF VARIOUS WARNING LIGHTS ON THE INSTRUMENT PANEL MAY OCCUR INCLUDING THE TIRE PRESSURE WARNING LIGHT, ABS WARNING LIGHT, AND THE MIL WARNING LIGHT. IN ADDITION, A BURNING/MELTING ODOR AND/OR SMOKE FROM THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT CAN OCCUR.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring