Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550
    Z3 of course. Not positive if it is an Mcoupe. I can’t tell the years apart.

I always loved those clown shoe models!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    driver100 said:

I saw one of these yesterday for the first time ever. Looked odd but kind of nice. I knew it was a BMW of course, but took a long time to figure out the year.

Anyone know the model and year?
    Just noticed....I think you can figure out the model pretty easily!

Z3 coupe but couldn't tell you the year.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    stickguy said:

I like the name "Clown Shoe Model"....pretty well describes it. It is unique, and you know how I like big windows!
    Apparently they made these from 1996 to 2002, as far as I know just a simple Z3.
    Come on Snake......you got it but I left a big hint about what model it is.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

edited November 2020
    THE DEFECT CAN RESULT IN A FIRE IN THE VEHICLE'S ENGINE COMPARTMENT, THUS INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY.

No joking Sherlock!

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

I like the name "Clown Shoe Model"....pretty well describes it. It is unique, and you know how I like big windows!
    Apparently they made these from 1996 to 2002, as far as I know just a simple Z3.
    Come on Snake......you got it but I left a big hint about what model it is.
    Yeah it says Z3 on the back, you can see it in the picture.

driver100 said:

THE DEFECT CAN RESULT IN A FIRE IN THE VEHICLE'S ENGINE COMPARTMENT, THUS INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY.

No joking Sherlock!
    Sherlock is just another Johnny come lately.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

nyccarguy said:

When my wife & I first started dating, her Mom had an early ‘90s Plymouth Acclaim with somewhere around 200K miles. It lit itself on fire in the parking lot at work one day. That car was the epitome of garbage Chrysler engineering from that era. It squeaked, rattled, was constantly in the shop, something was always broken, body panels were misaligned...

Yet it made it to 200k miles. I’d take a few rattles for that kind of longevity.
    Something tells me they could probably have leased a new car every 3 years for 200K miles for less dollars per mile though.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited November 2020
    I don't know if we showed this before....but, it is a slow day without much going on and people do find this girl fascinating. Her parent will give her a new C Class but she wants a $230,000 G Wagon. It is fun to watch her when Dr Phil tells her she should get a job to gain some self-confidence;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5-d7pSINHU

Tesla recent recall was suspension parts problems.

Current one this week is roofs popping off.

https://youtu.be/IHp_-JzGDg0

https://www.thehour.com/business/article/Tesla-Recalls-more-than-9-500-Model-X-and-Model-15759944.php

I could see Tesla saying that they were over the speed limit; had they obeyed the posted limit, the roof wouldn't have gone flying! :disappointed:

Didn't Musk say "ICE cars burn and catch fire too" in defense of Tesla meltdowns.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,881
    From the What a Genius Department:

On the news this evening - a 20 year-old man ran out of gas on a major arterial. He called the police to report he ran out of gas. Then, a few minutes later, he called back and said he didn't need help. A police car went anyway and he was still there along the road - sitting in the stolen SUV. :o

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

edited November 2020
    andres3 said:

Tesla recent recall was suspension parts problems.

Current one this week is roofs popping off.

https://youtu.be/IHp_-JzGDg0

https://www.thehour.com/business/article/Tesla-Recalls-more-than-9-500-Model-X-and-Model-15759944.php

I could see Tesla saying that they were over the speed limit; had they obeyed the posted limit, the roof wouldn't have gone flying! :disappointed:

Didn't Musk say "ICE cars burn and catch fire too" in defense of Tesla meltdowns.
    Actually the guy who posted the video says that Tesla said that the roof was repaired by a third party body shop and that they are investigating the incident.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited November 2020
    IF Musk said "ICE cars burn and catch fire too" in defense of Tesla meltdowns...

Did Musk say that roofs fly off of ICE vehicles too?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,666
    stickguy said:

Hopefully Jones is good to play next week.

Digital plates? Seems like a bad idea. People will just change them when they want to hide, like getaway car or electronic toll plate readers.

James Bond was way ahead of them on changing plates.

https://youtu.be/wUG1GexVz2k

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,560

stickguy said:

Hopefully Jones is good to play next week.

Digital plates? Seems like a bad idea. People will just change them when they want to hide, like getaway car or electronic toll plate readers.

James Bond was way ahead of them on changing plates.

https://youtu.be/wUG1GexVz2k
    And that Aston Martin did lose its top...on purpose.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    edited November 2020
    Driver stopped today using a folding lawn chair as a drivers seat. It happens every once in awhile.

In case you are wondering...it's a Ford Flex..........I wouldn't buy this car as a used car.

driver100 said:

Driver stopped today using a folding lawn chair as a drivers seat. It happens every once in awhile.

In case you are wondering...it's a Ford Flex..........I wouldn't buy this car as a used car.

For some reason that reminds me of the front passenger seat that was a stool top in the movie "Death Proof."
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Yesterday, I went in to the dealership for a car wash and was greeted by the sales manager who sold me my E450. He mentioned to me that he had several 2021 E’s in stock. He took me into the parking garage and we took a spin in an E450 with that inline 6 cylinder with the electric hybrid power boost (adds about 25 hp).

My first impressions were that the car handled and accelerated almost identically to my 2020 E450. The major changes I noticed was in the front and rear body (taillights and grille work) and in the new MBUX technology which resulted in fewer buttons and switches on the console. The new steering wheel was odd-looking and had way too many buttons and touch-sensitive stuff that would take a bit of time to master.

I noticed that the MSRP was almost identical to mine and was actually a few hundred dollars less expensive to build than the 2020. I liked the gray leather interior which I would have selected if available in 2020.

I liked the refreshed styling on the exterior but the interior is almost identical to my 2020. I am happy I got the 2020 because I always tend to shy away from new engines for the first year or two. I know this new inline 6 has been in production in a few of their other models.

And NO, I am not buying a new car! In fact I like mine better in terms of styling - I am not sold on the VW look of the rear taillights. But, definitely lives up to the Mercedes quality from what I observed. 🤓😜

2021 Genesis G90

edited December 2020
    abacomike said:

And NO, I am not buying a new car!

Posted on Win 10 chrome by choosing file from local HD. The pull down menu
    worked okay.

I would never fault someone for flipping into a new car, if they really have the financial resources to do it. But I never understood just getting a slightly newer version of the same car. At least go try something different!

stickguy said:

I would never fault someone for flipping into a new car, if they really have the financial resources to do it. But I never understood just getting a slightly newer version of the same car. At least go try something different!

When I was looking for a 2015 car I was trading in my 2012 535. I liked the 2012 BMW so I started to look at a 2015, but it was exactly the same car as I had, and I already chose the color I wanted.......what was the point of trading for the same car? That steered me to the 2015 MB E Class, which suited me better.....felt right from the first time I sat in it. I wonder how many other people switch brands for that reason?

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @driver100 ...I have a hard time watching these types of videos of precocious and (allegedly) privileged “kids” who are so over the top materialistic. They’re lives going forward are going to be very difficult as reality sets in.

Plus, any parent that even remotely entertains this sort of behavior should be brought up on charges of child abuse.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,094

@driver100 ...I have a hard time watching these types of videos of precocious and (allegedly) privileged “kids” who are so over the top materialistic. They’re lives going forward are going to be very difficult as reality sets in.

For a while in the early days of Twitter there was a very entertaining thing that you could see on Christmas morning of tweets by teenage kids complaining about how the expensive gifts their parents gave them were just not lavish enough. Sad.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited December 2020
    ab348 said:

For a while in the early days of Twitter there was a very entertaining thing that you could see on Christmas morning of tweets by teenage kids complaining about how the expensive gifts their parents gave them were just not lavish enough. Sad.
    That segment is the epitome of why I don’t watch reality TV. I can only be insulted so much. Another show made for the weak minded and every one in here knows I ain’t no Rhodes scholar.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,167
    I think hp in the I6 is the same as the V6, and I'd expect an I6 to be smoother, but the V6 is a hard act to follow in that department. As far as I know, the only interior differences are the steering wheel, some ICE interface items, and the analog clock is now gone (which upsets traditionalists). Mind you, this is a facelift, not a new platform.

I am still miffed at the elimination of the "luxury" (formal grille, hood ornament) for North America -spec E class, and now the only non-AMG wagon is the "all terrain" cladded thing.
    abacomike said:

Yesterday, I went in to the dealership for a car wash and was greeted by the sales manager who sold me my E450. He mentioned to me that he had several 2021 E’s in stock. He took me into the parking garage and we took a spin in an E450 with that inline 6 cylinder with the electric hybrid power boost (adds about 25 hp).
    And NO, I am not buying a new car! In fact I like mine better in terms of styling - I am not sold on the VW look of the rear taillights. But, definitely lives up to the Mercedes quality from what I observed. 🤓😜

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,167
    Apples don't fall far from trees, especially when it comes to the Marie Antoinette demographic. But with current tax policy and the solidity of dynastic wealth, unfortunately, they'll get away with it.

Plus, any parent that even remotely entertains this sort of behavior should be brought up on charges of child abuse.

You realize those shows are contrived and scripted, right? Didn’t you ever ask why anyone would go on a national show to be dressed down and made fun of?

Because they are paid to act.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited December 2020
    jmonroe1 said:

ab348 said:

That segment is the epitome of why I don’t watch reality TV. I can only be insulted so much. Another show made for the weak minded and every one in here knows I ain’t no Rhodes scholar.

jmonroe

So cynical. Next you’ll be telling us that the 90 day fiancé’s aren’t all gold diggers.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,094
    Bought a new phone last week (iPhone SE) and with it comes a free year of Apple TV. Now, I find most Tv unwatchable but thought there might be a chance this would be better given the source. So far it seems to be mostly a vehicle to sell/rent movies and TV shows/channels. The programming that comes with it is pretty uninteresting to me. I did watch the movie “On the Rocks” with Bill Murray and his scenes were good but the remainder was pretty flat. I began watching “The Morning Show” and almost gave up after the first two episodes which were awful, but stuck with it and #3 was better, so I’ll pick up that again soon.

Apple TV is unlike Prime and some others in that they have very little older stuff you might recognize. Once the year is up, renewal seems doubtful.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited December 2020

driver100 said:

I saw one of these yesterday for the first time ever. Looked odd but kind of nice. I knew it was a BMW of course, but took a long time to figure out the year.

Anyone know the model and year?
    Just noticed....I think you can figure out the model pretty easily!

Z3 coupe but couldn't tell you the year.
    Late 90s or very early 00s. I remember seeing them at dealerships during that time. Kind of loved and hated them at the same time. The coupe was really like a hatchback, which was a great plus for utility, but it still looked very small, a bit like Miata's close cousin.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

I found the interview fascinating because I really didn't think such people existed. It did make me grateful that I had to work for what I have.....even if I drove a 1995 Oldsmobile I would feel better about myself than what that girl felt about herself. If a kid is given everything there is no joy, no feeling of accomplishment, no hard lessons to be learned. The hard knocks in life make us better people, and we learn from bad experiences and from hardship. btw, the mother ended up giving into the spoiled brat and ended up buying her the G wagon.
    Can you imagine being that brat's husband?
    Oldfarmer....I don't think all shows are fake.....there are enough real stories like this one for Dr Phil to work on.

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    abacomike said:

And NO, I am not buying a new car!

Right....

We should have a pool when Mike gets a new car.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279
    I’m channeling my inner @breld...
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279
    edited December 2020

IF Musk said "ICE cars burn and catch fire too" in defense of Tesla meltdowns...

Did Musk say that roofs fly off of ICE vehicles too?

Have any of these Tesla roofs that have flown off been factory installed or were they all replaced by a third party like the latest one that I read about. Also curious as to why the roof needed to be replaced by a third party to begin with
    driver100 said:

I found the interview fascinating because I really didn't think such people existed. It did make me grateful that I had to work for what I have.....even if I drove a 1995 Oldsmobile I would feel better about myself than what that girl felt about herself. If a kid is given everything there is no joy, no feeling of accomplishment, no hard lessons to be learned. The hard knocks in life make us better people, and we learn from bad experiences and from hardship. btw, the mother ended up giving into the spoiled brat and ended up buying her the G wagon.
    Oldfarmer....I don't think all shows are fake.....there are enough real stories like this one for Dr Phil to work on.
    C’mon man, if you think the Dr. Phil show is legit, you need help.

jmonroe
    edited December 2020
    @driver100 and others--

Do I remember correctly that you bought a battery jumper and air compressor from Amazon last year?
    If so, what one was it and are you satisfied with it?

My little air compressor just burned out, so I'm in the market for a compressor.

driver100 said:

if she comes with something like a new G wagon, then I will make it work.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    We finally got some relief from the high temps we’ve endured this year. It didn’t get out of the mid-sixties this afternoon - not a cloud in the sky. It was so nice I opened up my panorama roof and really enjoyed the delightfully cool, sunny weather.

Right now, it’s 54 degrees out with 50% humidity - this is what we live for down here in south Florida. 🤓😜

2021 Genesis G90

I might come down. Yesterday it was close to 60 this time of night. Today, mid afternoon, was barely over 40 and overcast with winds. My ears froze taking my daily walk. I hate being cold. Which is why it is really strange that I am willing to let my wife talk me into moving back to upstate NY, Vermont or New Hampshire.

edited December 2020

@driver100 and others--

Do I remember correctly that you bought a battery jumper and air compressor from Amazon last year?
    If so, what one was it and are you satisfied with it?

My little air compressor just burned out, so I'm in the market for a compressor.

Imid, I bought a battery trickle charger the year before....it was a Battery Tender charger and they get excellent ratings and it is a favorite.
    I did get an air compressor and I can't seem to find it in our records, but it was yellow and cost about $25 to $30. It came in a nice case, took up very little room. But, there are lots of models that get good ratings and have similar features. I liked that it had a bright light and easy to read digital numbers. There was a similar one in red and it may have been this one;
    https://www.amazon.com/Helteko-Portable-Compressor-Pump-150PSI/dp/B07789PTPG/ref=sr_1_73_sspa?crid=33KO7LMTFTXW7&dchild=1&keywords=air+compressor&qid=1606878627&s=automotive-intl-ship&sprefix=Air+,aps,188&sr=1-73-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE2N0NLRExGMFhGOEsmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxNDc1MzgyNDI1VjZNTFBDWVRKJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwNzE2MDQzRUNXNUc4WjhGUkZEJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYnRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I think it is this one:
    Portable Air Compressor for Car Tires, 12V DC Digital Tire Inflator with LED diaplay, Auto Tire Pump with Emergency LED Flashlight, Pressure Gauge up to 150PSI for Cars, Bicycles and Other Inflatables
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089K7DYLD/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B089K7DYLD&pd_rd_w=TJfk6&pf_rd_p=7d37a48b-2b1a-4373-8c1a-bdcc5da66be9&pd_rd_wg=EmRBj&pf_rd_r=J0Y4NY8327W4EFVE1B96&pd_rd_r=4e4e4605-6fd0-4140-b039-afec34568b93&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQU84S0I2VFFSQ1JOJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDY0NzU0MVlBMkEzN0tXTjk0OSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjc2MjY4OU9EUzFYMk1ZSEFSJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Lots to choose from, if it has the features you like and a good rating it will probably be fine.....mine worked just fine.

stickguy said:

driver100 said:

if she comes with something like a new G wagon, then I will make it work.
    lol.......I don't think I could handle that for more than an hour...G Wagon or not!

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    I tend to think it is real....if word got out it was made-up he would lose his credibility and his audience. Not everything is fake or a conspiracy you know? You can watch youtubes of the brat with her G Wagon and in one she put a dent in it.....I didn't watch it all...but I was told that she did get her G Wagon, and the link.

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    I tend to think it is real....if word got out it was made-up he would lose his credibility and his audience. Not everything is fake or a conspiracy you know? You can watch youtubes of the brat with her G Wagon and in one she put a dent in it.....I didn't watch it all...but I was told that she did get her G Wagon, and the link.
    You know that putting a dent in a G wagon can only improve the looks of that thing.

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    I tend to think it is real....if word got out it was made-up he would lose his credibility and his audience. Not everything is fake or a conspiracy you know?

Not everything is fake. Just the part which is fake.

Here's a link to Dr. Phil's credentialing and hospital privileges review. "Is Dr. Phil a board certified physician?"

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    omarman said:

I tend to think it is real....if word got out it was made-up he would lose his credibility and his audience. Not everything is fake or a conspiracy you know?

Not everything is fake. Just the part which is fake.

Here's a link to Dr. Phil's credentialing and hospital privileges review. "Is Dr. Phil a board certified physician?"

I do believe that Dr. Phil has a PhD in Clinical Psychology so yes he is a doctor, just not a physician.

He has a doctorate in psychology but is not a licensed psychologist. So no, not a board certified physician. Agreed. And now back to the Doctor-But Not A Physician-Phil Show! :smile:
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    edited December 2020
    fintail said:

. . . when it comes to the Marie Antoinette demographic.

Well, you can be a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] sometimes, but that is an excellent turn of phrase.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    He is not licensed because he did not renew his license, but even if he was he still wouldn't be a physician. But he still has a doctorial degree so he can rightfully be called a doctor. Plus there is nothing in his show that would imply that doctor means physician.

fintail said:

. . . when it comes to the Marie Antoinette demographic.

Well, you can be a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] sometimes, but that is an excellent turn of phrase.

Poor Marie got a bad rap, one of which she doesn't deserve.

Agreed again! Dr. Phil is practicing reality TV without a license. :smile:
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,923

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    You know that putting a dent in a G wagon can only improve the looks of that thing.
    Ain’t that the truth. That is one vehicle I just don’t get. Not a fan.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve