Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271
    edited December 2020
    Is the driver’s side all scratched up?

Maybe that’s reflections of ceiling lights
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    I like that. a lot. Nice that many miles on it. Or actually the price! Would have to budget to install a BU camera though. Not much visibility to the rear on a convertible like that.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    OF, spoke with someone in HR today. Said we can carry over 5 days of PTO, anything over that, use it or lose it. Right now, I've got about 3 days banked so I'll need to use some in 2021.
    Also asked about the profit sharing. At first she laughed and said with this year...who knows. But then, she said they'll figure that out sometime in February.
    Right now, we using 15 packs, the white Chevy's and Ford Transit 250's, to move a lead and 2 drivers. It was up to 3 drivers for a few weeks until someone complained, then down to 3 total folks. I can't wait till we can go back to about 8/vehicle. No one at work "runs" to any vehicle!!! I did have that when I worked at that company in West Palm for those four months. Folks actually ran to the vehicle they wanted and one also had to keep the same seating the van all day long. Kindergarten stuff really. The big problem now is most folks want the Ford vans. The big boss has been asked, told, that no one really likes the Chevy vans but we still have some. But now, leads who get to the keys first are taking the other Ford keys to give to their buddies which makes the playing field not be level which is really sad. We even have one dude who gets in line for temperature taking a full 15 minutes early so he can be first in for the same Ford Transit van. One day, our lead got it and this other guy let him know that "it's really my vehicle" and then got all mad. It's amazing how guys over 70 can get so crazy about this stuff. My lead won't play that game so we usually end up with a Chevy.
    That's really the only bad thing about working there...these old cranky guys think hey should get the best vehicles and the best runs. All I can do is shake my head and laugh!!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

for lack of anything better to do, we have a nightime version of Lets make a Deal on. So far, they gave away a nice MB C class (that lady was happy) and another contestant is playing for a Porsche Macan.

can't wait to see what the big deal of the day is!

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    Maybe a nice new Cadillac:

https://youtu.be/QPhdsqZlpEw
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    mjfloyd1 said:

Is the driver’s side all scratched up?

Maybe that’s reflections of ceiling lights

I thought the same, but upon zooming in, I believe it is reflections.

Kind of a dull color for that car, IMHO.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited December 2020
    fintail said:
    $200k

actually the youtube guy who shall not be named just put up a video about these and (I have not watched it) I think that he mentioned that number.

edited December 2020
    current contestant is trying to win a Mini countryman by rolling dice. They just offered her a curtain instead that she passed on. It was an Audi S4 with a $59k sticker.

but they apparently wanted to give her the car, because they gave her another curtain to trade for, and the same Audi was behind it. She took it this time.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    breld said:

A RWD manual convertible in Colorado in December. Boy that’s gonna sell fast.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/830572609/overview/

That’s the kind of car you haggle a bargain on and then park in your garage until spring.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited December 2020

OF, spoke with someone in HR today. Said we can carry over 5 days of PTO, anything over that, use it or lose it. Right now, I've got about 3 days banked so I'll need to use some in 2021.
    Also asked about the profit sharing. At first she laughed and said with this year...who knows. But then, she said they'll figure that out sometime in February.
    Right now, we using 15 packs, the white Chevy's and Ford Transit 250's, to move a lead and 2 drivers. It was up to 3 drivers for a few weeks until someone complained, then down to 3 total folks. I can't wait till we can go back to about 8/vehicle. No one at work "runs" to any vehicle!!! I did have that when I worked at that company in West Palm for those four months. Folks actually ran to the vehicle they wanted and one also had to keep the same seating the van all day long. Kindergarten stuff really. The big problem now is most folks want the Ford vans. The big boss has been asked, told, that no one really likes the Chevy vans but we still have some. But now, leads who get to the keys first are taking the other Ford keys to give to their buddies which makes the playing field not be level which is really sad. We even have one dude who gets in line for temperature taking a full 15 minutes early so he can be first in for the same Ford Transit van. One day, our lead got it and this other guy let him know that "it's really my vehicle" and then got all mad. It's amazing how guys over 70 can get so crazy about this stuff. My lead won't play that game so we usually end up with a Chevy.
    That's really the only bad thing about working there...these old cranky guys think hey should get the best vehicles and the best runs. All I can do is shake my head and laugh!!!

They don’t pay me enough to get mad at the childish behavior of others. Up here we were using those hi top transits until the boss realized that they couldn’t fit in the airport parking structure (guess how they found out). Now we go 3 or 4 in a Chevy cargo type van (just like mine only with seats). Or 3 in a Chrysler Pacifica. Most guys like the Chrysler for the better ride. We have to come in at staggered times to avoid large groups so sometimes we get screwed coming in up to two hours later than pre-pandemic. If I relied on the job to live I’d be mad.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

for lack of anything better to do, we have a nightime version of Lets make a Deal on. So far, they gave away a nice MB C class (that lady was happy) and another contestant is playing for a Porsche Macan.

can't wait to see what the big deal of the day is!

Hope it wasn’t built like a homer’s car.

https://youtu.be/10qM0sR7CPA

it was a boat. I would have been ticked if I gave up a car trying for the big deal, and got a boat instead!

This seems like a nice little runabout for a spare car. maybe I should start playing Lotto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2xX5ey_BUc

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    OF, we start at 7:45 and line up with 6 feet social distancing for a temp check. We have a whole lot less guys down here I'm guessing. Wish we could use a Pacifica but they like the really big vans for us to use. Whatever.
    Still loving the job and figure I'll re-evaluate in a year or two just to see where were at. The extra cash each month is nice to get and hell, it's only 3 days a week. Still have plenty of down time. And if I were home, probably would be shopping or just hangin' round the house anyways.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,380
    fintail said:
    It’s pretty. Never really cared for the basket handle spoiler but that color combo is stunning. It’ll go somewhere north of $150k.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    au1994 said:

fintail said:
    It’s pretty. Never really cared for the basket handle spoiler but that color combo is stunning. It’ll go somewhere north of $150k.
    +1

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    fintail said:

Maybe a nice new Cadillac:

https://youtu.be/QPhdsqZlpEw

With the lovely Carol Merrill presenting it!

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    I’m thinking the same $150 to $170.

Low miles, rare 90s green, tasteful mods... yeah they will bid it up.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Hmmm... I'm wondering how much the hood scoop will hurt it. From a collectible POV, I wouldn't touch it, personally. Whenever you cut the original metal, you've hurt the value, IMHO.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    3 keys though. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081

3 keys though. ;)

But shouldn't it have 4? It looks like ignition key #2 is missing.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited December 2020
    I remember the first one I saw, summer of 93, it was apparently just passing through the small town where I lived. I thought it was hideous, and the spoiler laughable. However, for some reason, it really grew on me, and in no time I was into it, I think I might still have a brochure packed away somewhere. I still have the Kyosho 1:18 model issued during the period. I'd want a real one in the blue offered in later years.

Definitely a 6 figure car there, which seems insane, but the 90s are now vintage, and finding one not modded within an inch of its life isn't easy. Should have bought one 10 years ago.
    au1994 said:

My grandpa had that same job for several years, and for the same reasons. Got him out of the house/out of grandma's hair, and helped justify his visits to the horse racing track and his sports season tickets. Not a bad gig for the right person.

OF, we start at 7:45 and line up with 6 feet social distancing for a temp check. We have a whole lot less guys down here I'm guessing. Wish we could use a Pacifica but they like the really big vans for us to use. Whatever.
    Still loving the job and figure I'll re-evaluate in a year or two just to see where were at. The extra cash each month is nice to get and hell, it's only 3 days a week. Still have plenty of down time. And if I were home, probably would be shopping or just hangin' round the house anyways.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Pre turn-in inspection on the Tacoma, tomorrow. Not looking forward to it. My son lived in an urban area with street parking for a year. I was looking it over today. Yikes! I wish Carmax could have bought it for the $29K they offered.

Anyone with a 2016+ Tacoma Double Cab that needs Predator step bars? Free to a good home, if you can handle packaging/shipping or pickup. (over $500 new)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited December 2020
    kyfdx said:

Pre turn-in inspection on the Tacoma, tomorrow. Not looking forward to it. My son lived in an urban area with street parking for a year. I was looking it over today. Yikes! I wish Carmax could have bought it for the $29K they offered.

Anyone with a 2016+ Tacoma Double Cab that needs Predator step bars? Free to a good home, if you can handle packaging/shipping or pickup. (over $500 new)

How much would it be to ship those bad boys? Asking for a friend ;)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    nyccarguy said:

kyfdx said:

How much would it be to ship those bad boys? Asking for a friend ;)
    No idea. They aren’t very heavy, but they are long, and I don’t have the box. So, they’ll have to be packaged. Does the long bed take the same steps?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Speaking of the fobs. GM Financial noted it on the pre-inspection and then again on the final turn in paperwork as well.

They also gave me my plates back, which is a first on a lease return. He also told me NJ is cracking down and suspending licenses of people who don’t turn them in. I must have been really lucky over the years because I have never surrendered a set of plates.

I always got mine back at turn in. I still have the TLX ones on the shelf. I’m not going to DMV now. I actually still have the Elantra ones too, but I think I still have some prepaid registration on that one! So I might use it again.

Actually, I got new plates for the RDX instead of transferring. So I must have those too. I got quite the collection of plates in the garage now. Eventually I will turn them in. Maybe.

• mb_enthusiastmb_enthusiast Member Posts: 232
    Are there any good Volkswagen lease deals in the Chicagoland area for burying negative equity? My friend is kind of all over the place, but the discount Q8 aka Cross Sport is of interest. A "sportscar" is ok too.

Also, any other manufacturers offering anything attractive? I'm guessing that the negative would be over $10k and a monthly payment under $800 would be a good goal. If it's over $1k I don't think it would be a good idea.
    My stable: 2019 Audi Q8, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG, and 2005 Mercedes-Benz E500W4Found new homes: 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2011 Mercedes-Benz R350 BlueTEC, and 2004 Volkswagen Phaeton V8Illinois real estate broker and commercial property manager
    Funny how dealers do things differently. I have tons of plates I had hanging in my workshop at the old house. I’ll probably line them up in the garage once I get it all set up.

Unless the wife has different plans for me Saturday, I’ll get the last few things out of the garage and the awful shelves down. That will allow me to park both cars in finally.

I’m thinking of using slatwall to hang things from. It will be easy to mount and it’s more robust than pegboard. I can probably get a good price on it from some of my old vendors. I used to buy a ton of it for the stores. I could also see what stores are going out of business and get it dirt cheap, but I’ll have to take it down.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    Years ago I didn’t turn in the NC plate for the 82 Buick Skylark I sold. About 2 months after I was mailed a warning I would be arrested if I didn’t turn in the plate and listed an officer that was assigned to my case. I called him and plead ignorance. He said leave the plate at my front door and he would pick it up. I thought that was really nice of him.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

WA maybe does it right - plates stay with car for life (unless you get a special plate). No dealing with returning anything.
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,380
    sda said:

Years ago I didn’t turn in the NC plate for the 82 Buick Skylark I sold. About 2 months after I was mailed a warning I would be arrested if I didn’t turn in the plate and listed an officer that was assigned to my case. I called him and plead ignorance. He said leave the plate at my front door and he would pick it up. I thought that was really nice of him.

I’ve always just left it on the car I was trading at the dealer. Left in on the Subaru when I sold to Vroom and had to pay $25 penalty for not canceling the tag and letting my insurance ‘lapse’ as the state gets a notification when you cancel the policy. Wasn’t worth my time to call and try to fight it over$25.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

@roadburner - I know it’s out of the running, but I saw an Orange Stinger this AM. That’s a great color for that car!

fintail said:

My grandpa had that same job for several years, and for the same reasons. Got him out of the house/out of grandma's hair, and helped justify his visits to the horse racing track and his sports season tickets. Not a bad gig for the right person.

If you like to drive cars and you don’t want someone looking over your shoulder while you do it, it’s heaven.

tjc78 said:

Speaking of the fobs. GM Financial noted it on the pre-inspection and then again on the final turn in paperwork as well.

They also gave me my plates back, which is a first on a lease return. He also told me NJ is cracking down and suspending licenses of people who don’t turn them in. I must have been really lucky over the years because I have never surrendered a set of plates.

In NY you can’t drop your insurance until you turn in your plates.

A friend of ours worked as a rental company shuttle driver for a while, but because he was reliable, they rode him hard, so he quit. He didn't need the income.

Are there any good Volkswagen lease deals in the Chicagoland area for burying negative equity? My friend is kind of all over the place, but the discount Q8 aka Cross Sport is of interest. A "sportscar" is ok too.

Also, any other manufacturers offering anything attractive? I'm guessing that the negative would be over $10k and a monthly payment under $800 would be a good goal. If it's over $1k I don't think it would be a good idea.

My advice would be for your friend to get a second job and take the bus.

Did you guys see the 200K mile Integra Type R on Cars & Bids? $15K & climbing

@stickguy - there’s a Black/Beige 2000 Lexus SC300 with your name on it. Under 50K miles.

edited December 2020
    manual?

sadly, no. In general I am also not a fan of large 2 doors like this.

this is one that QB should have been all over.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KZDYRGLN/1989-laforza

I wouldn't mind this Andre mobile. If it came with a long warranty. Love the color.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KPYzaRX2/2015-audi-s4-premium-plus

I also love this one as a toy. Including the colors.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/30AgMbVV/1997-bmw-z3

My advice to mb_e's friend: WFH.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    nyccarguy said:

Did you guys see the 200K mile Integra Type R on Cars & Bids? $15K & climbing

@stickguy - there’s a Black/Beige 2000 Lexus SC300 with your name on it. Under 50K miles.

Wow! I saw the listing for the Type R but didn’t even click on it. Can’t believe it’s getting that much attention with 200k miles.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    @stickguy - I like that S4 too. I think that color must be an Audi special order color (Audi Individual Color or something like that).

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

A friend of ours worked as a rental company shuttle driver for a while, but because he was reliable, they rode him hard, so he quit. He didn't need the income.

I’m not sure I understand that. The company abused him or his fellow drivers?

my assumption was since he was good, they had him work all the time.

stickguy said:

this is one that QB should have been all over.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KZDYRGLN/1989-laforza

I wouldn't mind this Andre mobile. If it came with a long warranty. Love the color.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KPYzaRX2/2015-audi-s4-premium-plus

I also love this one as a toy. Including the colors.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/30AgMbVV/1997-bmw-z3

Geesh, I must have some kinda crazy rep around here. I wouldn’t touch that nightmare.

must have been all those RHD oddballs you posted.