Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    edited December 2020
    Most doctors are MDs and fewer are DOs. PhD is not a "Dr" anywhere outside the classroom. Or TV.

Omar, Pompatus Of Love
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    edited December 2020
    omarman said:

Most doctors are MDs and fewer are DOs. PhD is not a "Dr" anywhere outside the classroom. Or TV.
    Omar, Pompatus Of Love

Oh yeh, how about Dr Kildare and Dr Ben Casey?
    And then there is: (and this is only a few of the total)
    AMERICAN
    Doc Holliday (1851–1887), American gunfighter, gambler and dentist
    William Frank Carver (1851–1927), American sharpshooter and Wild West show producer
    Doc Scurlock (1849–1929), American cowboy and gunfighter
    Sports
    Doc Adams (1814–1899), American baseball player and executive
    Doc Adkins (1872–1934), American baseball player
    Doc Alexander (1897–1975), American NFL football player and coach
    Doc Amole (1878–1912), American baseball player
    Doc Ayers (1891–1968), American baseball player
    Entertainment
    Doc Pomus (1925–1991), American blues singer and songwriter
    David G. Robinson, 19th century theatrical pioneer in Northern California
    Doc Searls (born 1947), American journalist, author and blogger
    Doc Severinsen (born 1927), American trumpeter and bandleader
    Doc Shaw (born 1992), American actor, singer and rapper
    Neil Simon (1927–2018), American playwright and screenwriter
    E. E. Smith (1890–1965), American science fiction writer
    Doc Watson (born 1923), American musician and songwriter

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    fintail said:

I wonder what she did to get canned. It usually takes something akin to murder to be let go from a ranking public sector role like that, at least in this part of the world. Simple incompetence won't do it, heck, it might garner a promotion.

Msg sent.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    paternity test probably would have cleared things up.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    edited December 2020

I’ve not seen enough of those day time shows to know what they are all about. I was amazed to find out he was the host of The Price is Right for over a decade.

So, the Dr Phil clip, while I’m sure dramatized, still is about a narcissistic girl determined to mine parental guilt for personal gain and her Mother who’s trying to over compensate with her for some real or perceived shortcoming she has as a wife/mother.

There...I summed up the whole clip in 10 seconds and gave my diagnosis. Next patient, please.

On the topic of reality shows;

I remember that the Cardassians found people guilty and then had a trial. The purpose of the trial was to show the fairness of the guilty verdict. We used to have a judge that followed that philosophy and I always referred to his docket as Cardassian Circuit Court.

Wasn't there an episode where the Cardassian defense attorney actually won the case and his response was something to the effect of "Now I'm a dead man"?
    I believe so. DS9 is just about my favorite Star Trek series; it took more chances and I liked the fact that you really had to watch the show religiously and pay attention- or else you'd be completely lost. There are so many episodes that I absolutely love, My favorite is probably "In the Pale Moonlight."

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

mjfloyd1 said:

mjfloyd1 said:
    Seriously, they sell OLED and LCD TVs as well as projectors. Probably the Panasonic blu ray too but I’d have to double check. Chris is very active on AVS forums. Great pricing and service.
    I'll have to check. Thanks!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

So you left Dr Pepper off that list? Hater B)
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    Just heard that the TSA is changing the rules on comfort animals on airplanes. This means some of you guys will no longer be able to bring your comfort Peacock on board.

Too bad, I was hoping to get my car declared my comfort animal and get it shipped free when I vacation.😩

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited December 2020
    omarman said:

lol...and what about this guy....wonder if he has a license to practice?

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    What about Doctor Emmett Brown? I mean he invented time travel ....

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Some HTS stores only do installations and infer that the process is so fiendishly complex that mere mortals should not attempt it. That annoys me to no end and gets those businesses crossed off my list.

edited December 2020

Some HTS stores only do installations and infer that the process is so fiendishly complex that mere mortals should not attempt it. That annoys me to no end and gets those businesses crossed off my list.

I was a little intimidated setting up my projector and screen. I did a good amount of research and was able to do it without a hitch. I knew I could mount it and assemble the screen, that’s the easy part. The rest was adjustments and planning.

I had to rule out a few projectors because they would project too big an image at the distance mine was mounted from the wall.

Much of anything is planning. Do your research and most of the time the job is easy if you have all the right tools and equipment.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,541
    driver100 said:

omarman said:

Wow, how does a company expect to sell pizza’s with a pic like that on the box? But, I see it’s the #1 seller in Canada. I’ll admit that I’m a pizza snob. I never eat frozen pizza but even most frozen pizza looks better than that. I’d rather have a ketchup sandwich.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    "Barbie, are you a real doctor, or a doctor like Dr. Pepper is a doctor?"
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    Dr. Olds and his favorite 442.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    omarman said:

There is no category of doctor that makes up the majority of doctors. These include MD's, OD's, DO's, DVM's, DDS's and a host of others including PhD's. That's why it's called a Doctorate Degree. This is why you will see letters after the doctors name to identify the class of doctor the individual is.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

I’ve not seen enough of those day time shows to know what they are all about. I was amazed to find out he was the host of The Price is Right for over a decade.

So, the Dr Phil clip, while I’m sure dramatized, still is about a narcissistic girl determined to mine parental guilt for personal gain and her Mother who’s trying to over compensate with her for some real or perceived shortcoming she has as a wife/mother.

There...I summed up the whole clip in 10 seconds and gave my diagnosis. Next patient, please.

I remember that the Cardassians found people guilty and then had a trial. The purpose of the trial was to show the fairness of the guilty verdict. We used to have a judge that followed that philosophy and I always referred to his docket as Cardassian Circuit Court.

Wasn't there an episode where the Cardassian defense attorney actually won the case and his response was something to the effect of "Now I'm a dead man"?
    I believe so. DS9 is just about my favorite Star Trek series; it took more chances and I liked the fact that you really had to watch the show religiously and pay attention- or else you'd be completely lost. There are so many episodes that I absolutely love, My favorite is probably "In the Pale Moonlight."
    I do enjoy DS9 and I think Garak is one of the most interesting characters in all of Star Trek. He tends to steal most scenes he is in, and you can never fully figure the man out.

Did you ever notice the name of Quarks best customer Morn? It's Norm spelled backwards.

tjc78 said:

Dr Who!

I do enjoy DS9 and I think Garak is one of the most interesting characters in all of Star Trek. He tends to steal most scenes he is in, and you can never fully figure the man out.

Did you ever notice the name of Quarks best customer Morn? It's Norm spelled backwards.

Every time I see Norm I can’t help thinking of one of his best responses when he walked into the Cheers bar. “How’s it going Norm”, to which he replied, “it’s a dog eat dog world and I’m wearing milk bone underwear”. That’s a classic.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

omarman said:

Wow, how does a company expect to sell pizza’s with a pic like that on the box? But, I see it’s the #1 seller in Canada. I’ll admit that I’m a pizza snob. I never eat frozen pizza but even most frozen pizza looks better than that. I’d rather have a ketchup sandwich.

jmonroe

Dr Oektar has about 30 different pizzas. I showed that one because it was easy to make out exactly what it is, just in case someone has trouble deciphering the photo. We get one and add our own ingredients, might not be as good as the top pizzas around, but better than a lot of medium range store bought ones.
    See other kinds here

jmonroe1 said:

“How’s it going Norm”, to which he replied, “it’s a dog eat dog world and I’m wearing milk bone underwear”. That’s a classic.
    jmonroe

How about Norm that could happen today.....1 minute!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncc77oxnx5A

driver100 said:

tjc78 said:

Dr Who!
    Hey Abbott it's Dr. Emmett Brown of the Back to the Future trilogy.

jmonroe1 said:

Every time I see Norm I can’t help thinking of one of his best responses when he walked into the Cheers bar. “How’s it going Norm”, to which he replied, “it’s a dog eat dog world and I’m wearing milk bone underwear”. That’s a classic.

jmonroe

I like the one when they are out bowling and Norm goes to get a beer and as he walks into the bowling alleys bar you hear everyone yelling "Norm". Sam is a bit upset that Norm drinks at other bars and someone tells him that Norm does have a life outside of Cheers.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    jmonroe1 said:

My favorite was:

Woody: "What's shakin', Mr. Peterson?" Norm: "All four cheeks and a couple of chins."

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    mjfloyd1 said:

mjfloyd1 said:
    Seriously, they sell OLED and LCD TVs as well as projectors. Probably the Panasonic blu ray too but I’d have to double check. Chris is very active on AVS forums. Great pricing and service.
    I've done business with Chris in the past at Cleveland Plasma. Good guy. Good service. Good prices. I recommend him.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

omarman said:

jmonroe

I make my own. But, for frozen pizza, that stuff is pretty good.
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

omarman said:

I’d rather have a ketchup sandwich.
    jmonroe
    Can't say as I have ever had a ketchup sandwich....what is your secret recipe :)

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2020
    Only 4 more days of the constant barrage of TV ads espousing the tremendous benefits of Medicare Advantage HMO insurance coverages from every conceivable health insurer in the universe.

I used to love Joe Namath - but I now have an aversion to his presence on Medicare commercials. He reminds me of how old the human body becomes after football and 5 decades. Good grief - I even have an aversion to my own selfies now - OLDER AND OLDER! 🤓😜

2021 Genesis G90

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,511
    I imagine down in your TV market that is a real popular advertiser.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    abacomike said:

Only 4 more days of the constant barrage of TV ads espousing the tremendous benefits of Medicare Advantage HMO insurance coverages from every conceivable health insurer in the universe.

I used to love Joe Namath - but I now have an aversion to his presence on Medicare commercials. He reminds me of how old the human body becomes after football and 5 decades. Good grief - I even have an aversion to my own selfies now - OLDER AND OLDER! 🤓😜

We thought the same thing about Namath--can't even deliver the script well, IMHO.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Ordered the tire pump @driver100 looked up for me. My Harbor Freight puppy died on me.

Gonna get a small jump charger with air compressor in it for DIL to have in her car.
    May get another of these for son to have to pump up tires at home.

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

omarman said:

jmonroe

If you say so but I’ll still get carry out from my pizza shop.

jmonroe

Ordered the tire pump @driver100 looked up for me. My Harbor Freight puppy died on me.

Gonna get a small jump charger with air compressor in it for DIL to have in her car.

If you’re going to pump up tires at home you might as well get the 115 VAC Harbor Freight 3 gallon (I think) pancake compressor for about 50 bucks the last time I saw it listed. That way you could even use it for a small air trim nailer and stuff like that. I only use the 12 volt jobs for on the road emergencies.

jmonroe

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271

omarman said:

There is no category of doctor that makes up the majority of doctors. These include MD's, OD's, DO's, DVM's, DDS's and a host of others including PhD's. That's why it's called a Doctorate Degree. This is why you will see letters after the doctors name to identify the class of doctor the individual is.
    Which is a high class doctor and which is a low class doctor?
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    edited December 2020
    OK, here’s something that blew my mind.

I was watching one of those dashcam videos where you see the accidents. In one of them a car cut off the cammer and caused an accident.the other car took off leading to a chase. The cammer finally caught up and blocked in the hit and run driver while calling the cops only to be told “we don’t investigate accidents without a personal injury” whereupon the 911 operator hung up. Meanwhile, the hit and run driver is slamming into the cammer repeatedly in an an attempt to escape.

My question is, what idiot came up with that policy? I have heard of some police agencies refusing to show up for property damage accidents but don’t they realize that this could easily escalate into a violent confrontation?

Do any of you guys live in an area that does this?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

jmonroe1 said:

If you’re going to pump up tires at home you might as well get the 115 VAC Harbor Freight 3 gallon (I think) pancake compressor for about 50 bucks the last time I saw it listed. That way you could even use it for a small air trim nailer and stuff like that. I only use the 12 volt jobs for on the road emergencies.

jmonroe

Every time I see that advertised, I say I’m gonna get one. I still haven’t yet.

edited December 2020
    mjfloyd1 said:

omarman said:

Which is a high class doctor and which is a low class doctor?
    This is the class of doctor I want right now.

OK, here’s something that blew my mind.

I was watching one of those dashcam videos where you see the accidents. In one of them a car cut off the cammer and caused an accident.the other car took off leading to a chase. The cammer finally caught up and blocked in the hit and run driver while calling the cops only to be told “we don’t investigate accidents without a personal injury” whereupon the 911 operator hung up. Meanwhile, the hit and run driver is slamming into the cammer repeatedly in an an attempt to escape.

My question is, what idiot came up with that policy? I have heard of some police agencies refusing to show up for property damage accidents but don’t they realize that this could easily escalate into a violent confrontation?

Do any of you guys live in an area that does this?

My guess is that the policy is in place where the police have a heavy case load of more serious problems and/or are short on personnel. My quite suburb yes the police will show up, certain police precincts in say the south side of Chicago will never show up because they are to busy with more important things.

My question is why escalate the situation by chasing down someone and blocking them. Once you have their plates on the dash cam break off and report the hit and run.

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

omarman said:

jmonroe

jmonroe
    Lazy! :)

edited December 2020

I like the peace of mind of having it around. One tire was down about 2 pounds and it was nice to be able to pump it up right in the garage. Way better than the old days, and nice having a digital readout and light.

....and in case you are wondering, I used to have to use one of these a lot, that is why I don't want to do it any more!

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

omarman said:

jmonroe

jmonroe
    we either get take out from the best local place, or we make our own (dough from scratch). Frozen pizza in a box, that is never happening. Though there are a couple I have seen that look like actual real pizzas just wrapped up before cooking (at the market) but never tried one.

I liked the Dr. Oldsmobile ads as well as a lot of the Plymouth musclecar ads...

I really like that "Goodfellows Club" ad with grill emblems on the Road Runner! Funny stuff. Also funny that the group of vintage sports cars at top "British, you know," would still get street driven today. Not so much the alternate investment Hemi.
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    stickguy said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

omarman said:

jmonroe

jmonroe
    we either get take out from the best local place, or we make our own (dough from scratch). Frozen pizza in a box, that is never happening. Though there are a couple I have seen that look like actual real pizzas just wrapped up before cooking (at the market) but never tried one.
    A week, or so, ago Mrs. venture brought home some pizza from Sam's Club of all places. It was good and I wouldn't mind having it again some day.

Why didn't someone tell me? :o

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

venture said:

stickguy said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

omarman said:

jmonroe

jmonroe
    A week, or so, ago Mrs. venture brought home some pizza from Sam's Club of all places. It was good and I wouldn't mind having it again some day.

Why didn't someone tell me? :o
    If you add some of your own fresh ingredients you can make a store bought or frozen pizza that could rival a lot of store bought ones.

stickguy said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

omarman said:

jmonroe

jmonroe
    IIRC you are trying to watch your weight stick. You can buy a frozen multi-grain thin crust pizza, add your own fresh ingredients, peppers, mushrooms, lite cheese, tomatoes etc., and you will get a pizza that is better than what most restaurants would serve.....and you did it your way.

Air compressor--didn't come with a carrying case for storing in the trunk with the extra air nozzles. It's those little air nozzles that get lost even with a case.

This one does come with a case. Should I return the one I have and order the other one?

Does anyone know where to buy the simple small tool bag for things like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07789PTPG/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07789PTPG&pd_rd_w=28j3N&pf_rd_p=f0355a48-7e73-489a-9590-564e12837b93&pd_rd_wg=eqmNW&pf_rd_r=RGZX87HRWA67M36MN7QT&pd_rd_r=0b234532-5e82-4d69-ab0a-05230c90c1e2&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE1QTUyVDRIMDJPUzkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2Mzg5NDZSTzlaNDM0OUg2RFImZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDA2NTgxNzM1SDRDQjlHSkVCRk4md2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWMmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

I liked the Dr. Oldsmobile ads as well as a lot of the Plymouth musclecar ads...

Love seeing those old car ads.
    lowes sells small toolbags (empty) if that is what you need.

I have a B&D air station that has a lid to cover the storage compartment for all the wires, hose and attachments (and I think the needle ones snap into the bottom). That is dual power. I prefer to use it plugged into the wall outlet in the garage. Where it lives, not in the car.

Though I do now have a 12v portable one. The TLX came with that originally (and a tire inflator kit) but when I had the spare tire and tools added to the car, I kept the pump since I already paid for it. Never actually unwrapped it from the plastic to look at it, but should probably stash it in the RDX in case I ever need it!