Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    nyccarguy said:

@roadburner - I know it’s out of the running, but I saw an Orange Stinger this AM. That’s a great color for that car!

I wouldn't rule out a used GTS at the right price; it's the last of the AWD Stingers that isn't saddled with grand touring tires that cause the top speed to be cut to under 150 mph. Ridiculous- even my four cylinder X1 can hit 146...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    100PercentJake cracks me up: "I'm going to take my new socket... Don't lose things, cause it's expensive to go buying the same thing over and over, when you keep losing it! I thought that getting a shop and a toolbox would prevent that somewhat, but apparently the problem was me all along! *shrugs* I just lose things! Wonderful!"
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    he is funny. Still has the slightly decrepit, looks like living paycheck to paycheck while keeping junkers afloat, vibe going. What they have before the Youtube channel starts generating revenue, and they buy an R8.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

this is one that QB should have been all over.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KZDYRGLN/1989-laforza

I wouldn't mind this Andre mobile. If it came with a long warranty. Love the color.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KPYzaRX2/2015-audi-s4-premium-plus

I also love this one as a toy. Including the colors.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/30AgMbVV/1997-bmw-z3

Geesh, I must have some kinda crazy rep around here. I wouldn’t touch that nightmare.
    80s Ford drivetrain and Italian electronics. What could go wrong?

The Fox body Continental exterior mirrors, along with a Ford parts bin mirror switch are a nice touch.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

this is one that QB should have been all over.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KZDYRGLN/1989-laforza

I wouldn't mind this Andre mobile. If it came with a long warranty. Love the color.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KPYzaRX2/2015-audi-s4-premium-plus

I also love this one as a toy. Including the colors.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/30AgMbVV/1997-bmw-z3

Geesh, I must have some kinda crazy rep around here. I wouldn’t touch that nightmare.
    80s Ford drivetrain and Italian electronics. What could go wrong?

The Fox body Continental exterior mirrors, along with a Ford parts bin mirror switch are a nice touch.
    That sounds like a modern day Chrysler.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    @oldfarmer50,
    It was supposed to be part time job(a couple of days a week?) but they kept scheduling him just about every day.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    stickguy said:

must have been all those RHD oddballs you posted.

Like this one that just got reduced to 9995? Man, turbodiesel and blue leather. What a great vehicle.

Difference is, this one would be reliable.
    https://www.japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1991-mitsubishi-pajero-2-5td/

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    When I first started at Hertz back in 2014, I was hired for 25 hours but that eventually went up to 5 days/week until I got my promised transfer. It was really too much as I just didn't want to work full time anymore. Similar thing happened at Enterprise last year, hired for 25 hours but it got to be unlimited hours during February and most of March before the furlough.
    Right now, back to 3 days/week but would consider a fourth day maybe every other week. Did tell my big boss that since we don't celebrate, I could work on the 25th if they needed an extra body. Some offices are open 365 days a year so vehicles will be needed. Always worked the 25th at the post office as it's usually super busy with Express Mail.
    Not afraid to work but do have to listen to my body and how my spinal issues will be each day. Luckily, it's been behaving so haven't had to miss any work days. At Hertz, I did have to switch some of my work days when I really couldn't walk without intense pain. But was much easier to switch days there.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited December 2020
    qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

Like this one that just got reduced to 9995? Man, turbodiesel and blue leather. What a great vehicle.

I remember that one. Good looking truck. Painfully slow I’d imagine, right?

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    Pre-turn-in lease inspection..

$605 grand total for damage. Not as bad as I feared.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

No it isn’t.

U.S. Bank, right? I know they can be a PITA. They didn’t ding me at all on my 2012 LaCrosse, but there was a mark in the leather from the dog and I thought they may have gotten stupid about it.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    tjc78 said:

U.S. Bank, right? I know they can be a PITA. They didn’t ding me at all on my 2012 LaCrosse, but there was a mark in the leather from the dog and I thought they may have gotten stupid about it.

I can't complain. Busted Taillight housing was $180 of it. And, evidently the rear bumper cover is cracked, along with it (which I didn't notice). That was another $250.

I was more worried about the front, as he had a parking lot incident, but they only hit that up for $170 more. I'm guessing there is close to $500 damage there.

There was another $150 of minor stuff that was waived.

Supposedly, when I extended the lease, that included a waiver of the disposition fee ($695). That was told to me verbally, so we'll see.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

I remember that one. Good looking truck. Painfully slow I’d imagine, right?
    I'd imagine so. Would look fantastic with some offroad lights and a roof basket with spare tire(s).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Oh, wait, wait .... THIS is awesome! Love the color.
    https://www.japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1990-nissan-safari-panel-truck/

That is cool. I just couldn’t deal with RHD.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    Saw my first M-B A220 on the road in the wild, looks like a 9/10 scale C-Class, good-looking car except for a very stubby rear end. I checked one out on the M-B Canada website and they do get pricey in a hurry. Pretty much everything is optional, even heated seats, not a good move in the Canadian market.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Let us know about the dispo fee.... that’s interesting.

That Nissan is like a Pathfinder and a Bronco had a baby. Very cool.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    qbrozen said:

Yes! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    Did this get posted already?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-bmw-328-46-2/

If Stick doesn't snap this up after all his bellyaching about only awd ones out there...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Yup. That’s perfect. Other than the price. But that is equipped just right, and looks “in the wrapper” as Terry used to say. The prior auction had it bid to $29,600, and from where it’s already at, likely getting there again. Way out of my budget!

I did see this. Also very cool and low miles. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-mini-cooper-s-jcw-6/

edited December 2020

@oldfarmer50,
    It was supposed to be part time job(a couple of days a week?) but they kept scheduling him just about every day.

Oh, I see, they killed the goose so to speak. Short sighted of them. Some old timers have an incredible work ethic so I can see an employer trying to take advantage of that. Imagine, an employee who actually shows up on time and works without complaint for low pay.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

qbrozen said:

It’s a shame Nissan can’t do that kind of quality today.

@oldfarmer50,
    Yes, he is a great guy, very handy and volunteers a lot. Wife says he has a DB4. I haven't seen it, but would like to.

qbrozen said:

Nissan is very pleased to be able to offer you this in 2021:

My son texted me a picture of a new Seltos that a friend of his just got. Medium gray color. Pretty sharp looking car actually.

A couple of days ago I had some business to do at a place adjacent to the local Hyundai dealer. I had some time so I took a quick look at their new car inventory. They had a surprising number of sedans on the lot, quite unlike a lot of other dealers, mostly the new Elantra and Sonata. Really odd-looking styling, especially on the Elantra with the “folded triangle” body sides. But what struck me most was how they looked when you saw a bunch of them all parked side by side, all of those frowny catfish-mouth front ends. Not attractive at all.

The Seltos is really a very nice CUV but is bigger in person that what a picture shows. Saw one in the mall and was very surprised at how big it really is Mentioned it to the wife how I really did like it but she thought it was just too darn big.
    Saw the new 2021 Golf GTI on a YouTube video today and liked it, more than I thought I would. Like the alloys but the lowest size they come in are 18", I'm just getting used to having 17" wheels on my Golf. Prefer a smaller tire but would like a taller sidewall. And as we now know, the 2021 VW Golf ain't coming to the U S, which I think is a big mistake but guessing they think the GTI will pick up some sales.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited December 2020
    qbrozen said:

corvette said:

qbrozen said:

Nissan is very pleased to be able to offer you this in 2021:

Are you going to pine for it for a year and never actually do anything about it but get your knickers in a bunch when nobody else thinks it is the car to end all cars?
    Careful, now! There's a Mitsubishi dealer within spitting distance of me. Lots of Mirages on the lot.

The Seltos is really a very nice CUV but is bigger in person that what a picture shows. Saw one in the mall and was very surprised at how big it really is Mentioned it to the wife how I really did like it but she thought it was just too darn big.
    Saw the new 2021 Golf GTI on a YouTube video today and liked it, more than I thought I would. Like the alloys but the lowest size they come in are 18", I'm just getting used to having 17" wheels on my Golf. Prefer a smaller tire but would like a taller sidewall. And as we now know, the 2021 VW Golf ain't coming to the U S, which I think is a big mistake but guessing they think the GTI will pick up some sales.

funny, I thought the picture made it look bigger than it is, so I just looked it up. 172" long, so certainly not big by most standards. Seems to fit your maximum length requirement!

The turbo model is going to be pretty quick too, and has lots of goodies. That powertrain was very snappy in my Elantra sport.

Anyone else notice that Toyota is making its lineup slower in the quest for hybridization?

2020 Toyota Sienna (3.5 liter V6)
    296 HP
    0-60 6.9 seconds

2021 Toyota Sienna (4 cyl. hybrid)
    243 HP
    0-60 7.9 seconds

2014 Toyota Venza (3.5 liter V6)
    268 HP
    0-60 6.7 seconds

2021 Toyota Venza (4 cyl. hybrid)
    219 HP
    0-60 7.6 seconds

This is progress?
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    fintail said:

WA maybe does it right - plates stay with car for life (unless you get a special plate). No dealing with returning anything.

Plates stay with the car in Kentucky as well. Whenever I traded anything in before the plate transferred to the new vehicle. And until I got to Kansas where we paid actual property tax on our vehicles, plates didn't have to be turned in. So my collection of plates includes IN, IL, MO, but not KS or NC or the vehicles traded in KY.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    ab348 said:

But what struck me most was how they looked when you saw a bunch of them all parked side by side, all of those frowny catfish-mouth front ends. Not attractive at all.

I think you can Toyota for that, along with the lemming situation regarding styling these days.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    corvette said:

Anyone else notice that Toyota is making its lineup slower in the quest for hybridization?

296 HP
    0-60 6.9 seconds

243 HP
    0-60 7.9 seconds

268 HP
    0-60 6.7 seconds

219 HP
    0-60 7.6 seconds

This is progress?

I will give up 1 second in those ranges to double the gas mileage. I won't notice the second, but I definitely will notice the $.

edited December 2020
    stickguy said:

corvette said:

296 HP
    0-60 6.9 seconds

243 HP
    0-60 7.9 seconds

268 HP
    0-60 6.7 seconds

219 HP
    0-60 7.6 seconds

This is progress?

I will give up 1 second in those ranges to double the gas mileage. I won't notice the second, but I definitely will notice the $.
    I understand, but it seems like reviewers have noticed a lack of oomph... The first generation Venza didn't have a hybrid, but the Highlander hybrids up until 2020 had the V6. Looks like the 2020 Highlander Hybrid has an I4 and reduced performance compared to the base V6, like the Avalon (and also the Lexus ES, I think).
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    I saw a number of A sedans in Seattle, I think Hertz and Sixt both had them in their fleet.

Everything is optional - that's the German way. Some things end up as "mandatory" (as I call it) options, as you'll never find a car on the lot without them - heated seats is likely in that category. That means the low prices touted in the ads technically don't exist (although none of these cars sell for MSRP anyway).
    ab348 said:

Saw my first M-B A220 on the road in the wild, looks like a 9/10 scale C-Class, good-looking car except for a very stubby rear end. I checked one out on the M-B Canada website and they do get pricey in a hurry. Pretty much everything is optional, even heated seats, not a good move in the Canadian market.

can you order to spec? Or does MB not allow that?

I have been following the TFL saga on youtube about their new Defender. They are currently on their 3rd (the first one made it 120 miles before a CEL came on that proved impossible to resolve, and the 2nd never made it out of the dealership after they cut a wiring harness trying to install a winch). #3 already gave a suspension error message at 125 miles (but it went away!)

anyway, point of the story, they wanted a base one to do off road stuff with. And that just did not exist in this country. So they had to custom order to get a base model with only off roading options (complete with the 4 banger engine, and steel wheels). So impossible to find a comparable replacement (they ended up with an SE with the 6/hybrid engine and lots more options).

clicked on this place (for the garage space and lot!) and man, talk about a time capsule to the late 60's. At least the preserved it like a museum. I can imagine the looks my wife would give me if I took her for a tour of this place. Could do a lot with the space I'm sure, but it is going to suck down a huge amount of money to do it.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/25-Valleyview-Dr_Albany_NY_12208_M32983-69301

Probably not too far from the farmer.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    That house is easily worth $750-$1.5+ as-is depending on the neighborhood up here.

That said...oy.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    it would be cheaper to buy OF's farm and build from scratch. But that is a seriously nice lot. And hard to argue with 4 garage spots! I assume one of those must be a tandem.

@stickguy - that reminds me of my late great aunt's custom built 1970's house. Still had the indoor and outdoor intercoms (which no longer worked). Had heaters and exhaust fans in the bathrooms, which was super luxe at the time. It had solid bones, but needed a lot of updating. That exterior doesn't look maintenance free, either.
    The top of the line Seltos only comes in AWD if you want the turbo, and in South Florida, AWD isn't really needed much at all. But it's a good looking rig and something I think I could end up liking if I could just slide in/out. Only reason for me to get a CUV would be for that reason only as I'm guessing in time, my spinal issues will only get worse.
    Think the blue with the white top is the nicest color combo, even like the blue over blue to be honest.

corvette said:

I understand, but it seems like reviewers have noticed a lack of oomph... The first generation Venza didn't have a hybrid, but the Highlander hybrids up until 2020 had the V6. Looks like the 2020 Highlander Hybrid has an I4 and reduced performance compared to the base V6, like the Avalon (and also the Lexus ES, I think).

Just yesterday Roadshow posted a review of the RAV4 Prime plug-in hybrid and commented that with over 300 HP combined, its speed was its most notable trait, though the steering and suspension were both sloppy. Of course there was no mention of "hard plastics" inside, unlike in their reviews of domestic offerings where they are apparently contractually obligated to do so.

@stickguy,
    Almost $1300 a month in taxes. I thought you trying to get away from that?
    stickguy said:

clicked on this place (for the garage space and lot!) and man, talk about a time capsule to the late 60's. At least the preserved it like a museum. I can imagine the looks my wife would give me if I took her for a tour of this place. Could do a lot with the space I'm sure, but it is going to suck down a huge amount of money to do it.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/25-Valleyview-Dr_Albany_NY_12208_M32983-69301

Probably not too far from the farmer.

Holy 1970, Batman! Though it looks like the kitchen and one of the bathrooms received updates in the '80s, but those are equally dated now. Lots of space, all requiring new finishes. I can just imagine one of those house-flipper shows getting their hands on that place and filling several dumpsters. The huge arch-top windows would be an expensive replacement if they have gone bad, but are a cool design touch.

edited December 2020
    ab348 said:

corvette said:

Just yesterday Roadshow posted a review of the RAV4 Prime plug-in hybrid and commented that with over 300 HP combined, its speed was its most notable trait, though the steering and suspension were both sloppy. Of course there was no mention of "hard plastics" inside, unlike in their reviews of domestic offerings where they are apparently contractually obligated to do so.
    The current RAV’s interior is no better than any other SUV in the class. Well built, but plenty of hard black plastic.

I was also surprised that my Mom’s which is an XLE with some options lacked Homelink. That’s a big omission at over 30K IMO. The smart key isn’t really smart either. You have to push the button on the remote to open doors then the ignition has the start button. I can’t imagine this saves/makes Toyota any money offering full smart key on the higher models. Other makes have had full keyless on even stripper models for a decade+ now.

I know Toyota still makes a good car, but they aren’t the same company they were in the early 2000s. I loved all three of mine (2000 Solara, 2003 & 2006 Avalon’s) but other than a killer Tacoma or Tundra lease couldn’t see myself owning one now.

I recall at the time reading about the V6 RAVs being a bit of a "hot rod", but also having squirrely (almost dangerous) driving characteristics (I forget exactly what, but weird steering control maybe?). You know it is bad when the car magazines will call them out for it.

I don't think they sold very many either, since burning rubber was pretty low on the wish list for most RAV buyers.