Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,295
    It's nice that Scotty is helping out service members, but I think it's kind of a 'reputation rehabilitation' effort.
    Even his some of his peers, other YT vehicle modifiers/repairers, deride him.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,342

omarman said:

"Welcome to a special Scotty Kilmer video."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76feB4c4dXc
    Aren't they all special?

Careful, there’s a member who flags every video like that as spam. I got one for postings one about 6 months ago.

I think Scotty must have botched a repair on one of his cars to have that much animosity.
    I've never flagged anybody for posting one, but I think reasonable people can find Kilmer to be a painfully annoying imbecile without ever having to meet the jackass in person.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Rooney the Wonder Dog has dispatched at least six raccoons to that great garbage can in the sky.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

simple answer to the bird feeder problem. Let the birds find their own food.

That is what I tell Mrs D.....she is making the birds rely on us for their food. They should become self reliant or they will lose their ability to fend for themselves. STOP FEEDING THE BIRDS.
    Birds are opportunists when it comes to feeding, they will not become reliant on any one source of food. They will not lose the ability to fend for themselves. A bird feeder becomes A source of food not THE source of food.
    Oh, so not like people.......sorry, didn't mean to start down that path!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

stickguy said:

I watched that Scotty episode. He was so serious, even did it without sunglasses on at first (yes, he has actual eyes).

it is actually a nice thing he is doing (for the many that won't click to view). Donating free diagnostic services to any member of the military at the local AFB. He even mentioned a problem I had heard of before, with unscrupulous car lots preying on soldiers and their family at these bases. Of course he gets video content out of the deal, but still nice for the military people that don't have to pay for stuff!

All he asks is that they go on his site 500 times to boost his ad rates!

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,927
    edited December 2020

omarman said:

Aren't they all special?

Careful, there’s a member who flags every video like that as spam. I got one for postings one about 6 months ago.

I think Scotty must have botched a repair on one of his cars to have that much animosity.
    Hey, I warned y’all I’d do it!
    Mwuhahahaha

Funniest part is I can’t even see what I’m flagging it as because the stupid dropdown appears off screen on my phone.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146

omarman said:

Aren't they all special?

I've never flagged anybody for posting one, but I think reasonable people can find Kilmer to be a painfully annoying imbecile without ever having to meet the jackass in person.
    I've known some people who are painfully close to being like him in their attitudes.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,536

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

That is what I tell Mrs D.....she is making the birds rely on us for their food. They should become self reliant or they will lose their ability to fend for themselves. STOP FEEDING THE BIRDS.
    Birds are opportunists when it comes to feeding, they will not become reliant on any one source of food. They will not lose the ability to fend for themselves. A bird feeder becomes A source of food not THE source of food.
    I guess a weasel otta know. Not so sure about snakes, though.😉

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

omarman said:

Aren't they all special?

I've known some people who are painfully close to being like him in their attitudes.
    Is that because I wear sunglasses when I post?😎

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

abacomike said:

Our creature problems down here are “pythons” in the Everglades and “iguanas” just about everywhere in central and south Florida.

The pythons are destructive to all living things in the Everglades because there are so many of them that “are not indigenous” to Florida. They have no natural enemies or predators so they destroy every living thing. Florida has a “bounty” system set up based on the size and sex of the python destroyed.

Iguanas have gotten so numerous that they are becoming a serious problem to farmers - they are herbivores. The ones I see around my community are the green iguanas. They grow quite large. When the temps drop into the 40’s at night, they fall to the ground from trees. Then, when it warms up during the day, they become ambulatory once again.

Raccoons are dangerous down here because they often succumb to rabies and have been known to bite.

Aah, yes, this is a “tropical” paradise - for the animals, snakes and insects. But it is nice for humans from November through May!🤓😜

Any time a species reproduces out of control they become pests. In nature disease usually breaks out in high density populations and brings the numbers back down. The trouble is you don’t want a bunch of rabid raccoons chasing you down the street before they die. That’s when eradication becomes necessary.

With the Iguanas, why doesn’t the city wait for a cold night and then go about sweeping them up for disposal? That would make it easier if we could do that with pests up here.🤔
    That's exactly what they do, OF! Here in my community the grounds and maintenance departments drive their small trucks throughout the many villages and on the main road and shovel them into cages in the rear. They are then disposed of. The city in which I live does the same thing as do most of the cities in Broward County.

If you have a large number of iguanas to deal with, there are service providers that guarantee they will end the infestation - at a price of course. It only goes into the low and mid 40's a few times a year so sometimes it takes more than just waiting for them to drop out of the trees.

2021 Genesis G90

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,637
    edited December 2020
    I’m watching the Jean Wilder movie ‘Silver Streak’ and in one scene they steal a 60s Jaguar E type. The price on the windshield said $4999.

Can you imagine what that car would cost today?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588

I’m watching the Jean Wilder movie ‘Silver Streak’ and in one scene they steal a 60s Jaguar E type. The price on the windshield said $4999.

It is a coupe, too!
    Gene Wilder

I like Richard Pryor's line when he finds the Jag.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    edited December 2020

Great movie, but its Gene not Jean. Richard Pryor was great in that movie.

Didn't Pryor drive away in an X1/9 at the end?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

abacomike said:

abacomike said:

Our creature problems down here are “pythons” in the Everglades and “iguanas” just about everywhere in central and south Florida.

The pythons are destructive to all living things in the Everglades because there are so many of them that “are not indigenous” to Florida. They have no natural enemies or predators so they destroy every living thing. Florida has a “bounty” system set up based on the size and sex of the python destroyed.

Iguanas have gotten so numerous that they are becoming a serious problem to farmers - they are herbivores. The ones I see around my community are the green iguanas. They grow quite large. When the temps drop into the 40’s at night, they fall to the ground from trees. Then, when it warms up during the day, they become ambulatory once again.

Raccoons are dangerous down here because they often succumb to rabies and have been known to bite.

Aah, yes, this is a “tropical” paradise - for the animals, snakes and insects. But it is nice for humans from November through May!🤓😜

Any time a species reproduces out of control they become pests. In nature disease usually breaks out in high density populations and brings the numbers back down. The trouble is you don’t want a bunch of rabid raccoons chasing you down the street before they die. That’s when eradication becomes necessary.

With the Iguanas, why doesn’t the city wait for a cold night and then go about sweeping them up for disposal? That would make it easier if we could do that with pests up here.🤔
    That's exactly what they do, OF! Here in my community the grounds and maintenance departments drive their small trucks throughout the many villages and on the main road and shovel them into cages in the rear. They are then disposed of. The city in which I live does the same thing as do most of the cities in Broward County.

If you have a large number of iguanas to deal with, there are service providers that guarantee they will end the infestation - at a price of course. It only goes into the low and mid 40's a few times a year so sometimes it takes more than just waiting for them to drop out of the trees.
    I wish there were some way to eradicate squirrels.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    We had to take down our bird feeder. The birds were sloppy eaters and they would spill a lot on the ground. The squirrels were quick to clean up the spillage so all was well until one day we noticed that eating the seeds among the squirrels was a big fat RAT! That was the end of the bird feeder!

Out next door neighbors had a severe rat infestation that they failed to nip in the bud. I think it was 6000.00 to clean out the attic, the house and the crawl space! The Terminex guys wore haz mat suits and lined their driveway with AT LEAST 100 huge trash bags! Had our house totally inspected and it was declared rat free!

Yes, the train nudged the display stand and the car rolled off.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

Rooney the Wonder Dog has dispatched at least six raccoons to that great garbage can in the sky.

What kind of a dog? A lot of dogs are smart enough not take on a raccoon. A cornered raccoon can inflect a lot of damage! They are quick and they are MEAN! Sounds like this dog is up to the task! Does it kill cats too?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,927

I’m watching Cujo. Dad drives an E-type convertible while mom is in the Pinto that can’t stay running. Hmmmm

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    In the early 70s you could easily pick up a 300SL gullwing for 5K. Even a ratty one is a million dollar car now.

Some vintage Ferraris probably have similar appreciation - yes, some things have inflated more than Seattle real estate.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324

Only this group can turn a post about a movie about a train into the topic of cars.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    driver100 said:

stickguy said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Well said.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere

Only this group can turn a post about a movie about a train into the topic of cars.
    I annoy my wife endlessly by looking up and naming all the cars in her period English shows. In the contemporary set ones I can often name them from memory.

After a while I will get “the look”.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,869

What kind of a dog? A lot of dogs are smart enough not take on a raccoon. A cornered raccoon can inflect a lot of damage! They are quick and they are MEAN! Sounds like this dog is up to the task! Does it kill cats too?
    He's a "Border Collie/Shepherd mix" according to the Kentucky Humane Society, where we adopted him. He has never shown the slightest bit of aggression to a human, but everything else(save our one cat) is a potential target. One night he killed a raccoon and left it on the side porch then went on to whack a groundhog and leave it on the front porch. He's also killed numerous snakes and chased off a coyote. One day he caught a woodpecker- don't ask me how. I managed to get it away from him and it flew off- apparently unhurt.

Nice looking dog. He looks all business.

Where's @pensfan83?

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

edited December 2020
    A Florida friend sent this Russian Car Commercial video. Figure skating isn't my thing but this is pretty spectacular;
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/rv7dGhj5UlA
    10 points for originality and creativity!

Pp
    venture said:

He's a "Border Collie/Shepherd mix" according to the Kentucky Humane Society, where we adopted him. He has never shown the slightest bit of aggression to a human, but everything else(save our one cat) is a potential target. One night he killed a raccoon and left it on the side porch then went on to whack a groundhog and leave it on the front porch. He's also killed numerous snakes and chased off a coyote. One day he caught a woodpecker- don't ask me how. I managed to get it away from him and it flew off- apparently unhurt.

Nice looking dog. He looks all business.

Where's @pensfan83?
    Ask Rooney the Wonder Dog, he seems to be good at getting rid of nuisances. 😳 Just kidding, I wonder too.

jmonroe
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    My guy is small but mighty. Chihuahua rescue that dispatches any moles who dare try to tunnel underground in my yard.

(Still can’t post pics).
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Apple just inaugurated its new “AppleCare+” program for eligible iPhones. For technical issues, both hardware and software, as well as damage (i.e., glass screen, breakage, charging), it’s $7.99 per month with no contract. There is no longer a limit as to how long you can be covered on AppleCare. So it can be canceled at any time.

They replaced my old iPhone 8+ three months ago while my AppleCare+ plan was still in effect. So it definitely pays to have protection and technical support on a phone that I plan to keep. I don’t use my data very much so I don’t need 5G speed (LTE is fast enough). If I buy a new phone in the future I just cancel the plan before the end of the month.

Most of my calls to technical support deal with iTunes and download problems.

2021 Genesis G90

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,964
    Test, icons still don’t work to allow posting of pictures. Has this issue been escalated?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,075
    Hyundai still struggling with engine stalling and fires. Another recall:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/hyundai-sonata-santa-fe-veloster-recalls-fire-stalling

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited December 2020
    sda said:

Test, icons still don’t work to allow posting of pictures. Has this issue been escalated?

I had a problem with the pull down menu items for the icons yesterday on my laptop HP Pavilion G7.
    I stopped Chrome and restarted chrome and it worked.

If you're on a phone or a pad, an option might be to uninstall Chrome, or your browser, and then reinstall to see if that gives you back your pull down menu. I recall that uninstalling Chick Fil A's horrible app and then reinstalling it did fix problems a year ago for that app.

ab348 said:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/hyundai-sonata-santa-fe-veloster-recalls-fire-stalling

I thought that was Tesla with the fires?

sda said:

Oh oh, are you sure you want me to test to see if I can post a picture? :D

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    Project this weekend was installing four z-wave smart switches around the house. I started with just our single-switch lights just to practice before I attempt figuring out the 3-4-5 way switches we have, since that’s going to require a voltmeter and more patience than I had for this weekend.

No electrocution. No fire. No guy. And all paired with my alarm system and Alexa for creating routines and voice control.

Great success.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    sda said:

I think it's browser dependent.

Seems to work fine for me on WIN/Chrome, but IOS/Safari is kaput.

It's being looked at, but no ETA

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

ab348 said:

I thought that was Tesla with the fires?
    I thought it was GG's Stinger. It seems that most makes have had "possible fire" problems at some time or another. It appears that Hyundai is working on solutions to the fire problem, that is a good sign.

Slightly disappointing but ultimately hardly earth-shaking experience with car infotainment this week.

My cell provider had a Black Friday deal going on some phones. I had gotten an iPhone 7 from them 3 years ago which worked fine for me, but I recognize that it is older tech and several generations behind what Apple is now making. The cell provider was offering an iPhone 11 at $20/mo x 24 mos., or the current iPhone SE for $15/mo x 24. I decided to get an 11 but by the time I called they had sold out and weren't getting any more stock. So I reluctantly decided to get the SE. It was still a good deal and except for the camera being a bit basic, the tech is going to be up to date for a few years.

This was all done over the phone and in these COVID times they offered free delivery for me to set it up myself. That wasn't too hard and I even managed to not screw up swapping the SIM card from the older phone to this one. Took a couple of hours to get everything transferred and set up but it is quite amazing how everything seemed identical once it was done. The next time I was out in the ATS I set CUE up to recognize it and all was well. One of the things I was interesting in checking out was wireless charging. This phone supports it (my old one did not) and in the ATS the charging pad is behind the flip-up touchscreen in the cubby that hides there.

I immediately discovered that it is a good thing I didn't get the 11 as it would not fit there. This one just barely does. I set it on the pad and... nothing happened. I got out the owners manual and they didn't discuss it much but did say that if it doesn't work, rotate the phone 180 degrees and try again. Still no go. I thought that the cheap silicone case I had for the 7 and transferred to the SE might be the problem and so I removed it and tried again. Nope. I shut everything off, turned things on, tried again and lo and behold, for a split-second I saw the indicator that it was working light up, but it quickly flicked off and nothing would bring it back. At that point I quit and came back inside.

After a bit I decided to go online to Cadillac forums and find out the experience of others. I quickly learned that it does not work with iPhones. Apparently whatever tech GM used in 2017 is not compatible with what Apple adopted even though they both use the same standard, and while it works with other types of devices, it does not with iPhones. But, you can spend a couple of hundred bucks for the 2.0 version of the charging module they now use, which does work with iPhones, but you have to disassemble the center stack of the dash to install it. Uh, no. So I concluded that in-car wireless charging is not something I'll use for now and the cable that I have in the car will work just fine.

For some reason I really like that, I wonder if they were able to do it all in one take (meaning, no collisions). Could only be more Russian if they had used Lada Nivas.
    driver100 said:

A Florida friend sent this Russian Car Commercial video. Figure skating isn't my thing but this is pretty spectacular;

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,492
    I rarely charge the phone in the car, and don't even plug it in for CarPlay very often. So I just don't see wireless charging as something very useful to me. The cord is always plugged in to the car anyway and sitting in the slot next to the cupholders, so probably easier to plug it in than it would be to clean out the cubby where the charging pad is. I just can't see it saving me much time.

Maybe useful if you have 2 people that want to charge at the same time, and don't have an extra charger?

The much more useful feature is wireless carplay/android auto. Then never have to take your phone out!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

fintail said:

For some reason I really like that, I wonder if they were able to do it all in one take (meaning, no collisions). Could only be more Russian if they had used Lada Nivas.

driver100 said:

Everyone who watches that video says it is spectacular. It took a very creative mind to think it through and to produce it. Lada Niva's would have ruined the whole thing, probably would have stalled in the middle. I doubt if they did it in one take....probably 100.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    The i3 has wireless CarPlay so it automatically pairs and starts when I get in the car. I wish had sprung for the wireless charging.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    I have wireless charging in my E450 but rarely use it because I don’t drive much. As for CarPlay, I never use it for the same reason - I don’t t drive very much.

Car is 7 months old and it has 3998 miles on the odometer. Not driving as much since the pandemic started.

2021 Genesis G90

edited December 2020
    Wireless charging is included on all "premium" packages on W213s, I think. Amusingly, I can't use it in my car, as I'm a Samsung Note devotee, and the phones are too big for the wireless cradle, especially if in a case. Dumb design on MBs part.

I've had my car for 20 months and am still under 15K miles, thanks to the pandemic, not driving much either. M-F I seldom venture out these days, no reason to.

Also not a fan of Android Auto in the car, as it doesn't seem possible to make the map occupy the entire widescreen display.
    abacomike said:

I have wireless charging in my E450 but rarely use it because I don’t drive much. As for CarPlay, I never use it for the same reason - I don’t t drive very much.

Car is 7 months old and it has 3998 miles on the odometer. Not driving as much since the pandemic started.

I was thinking it might make a good ad for winter tires.

Nivas have a real cult following behind them - I'll admit I've always kind of liked them, and the old Fiat-based Signet cars.
    driver100 said:

Everyone who watches that video says it is spectacular. It took a very creative mind to think it through and to produce it. Lada Niva's would have ruined the whole thing, probably would have stalled in the middle. I doubt if they did it in one take....probably 100.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    kyfdx said:

sda said:

Seems to work fine for me on WIN/Chrome, but IOS/Safari is kaput.

It's being looked at, but no ETA
    Tried with Chrome and Firefox on iOS. Still no luck!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    kyfdx said:

sda said:

No, it's totally independent of browser choice. It almost never works on Firefox/Win10, but sometimes it does. It almost always works on Firefox/iOS, but sometimes it doesn't. Same holds true for Safari and Chrome. So far the only browser where it's always worked for me on Win10 is MS Edge. But I don't typically use that.

ab348 said:

kyfdx said:

sda said:

No, it's totally independent of browser choice. It almost never works on Firefox/Win10, but sometimes it does. It almost always works on Firefox/iOS, but sometimes it doesn't. Same holds true for Safari and Chrome. So far the only browser where it's always worked for me on Win10 is MS Edge. But I don't typically use that.
    I have used “BING” with iOS and it works great.

2021 Genesis G90

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,492
    win 10 and chrome on my laptop, no issues. I can't make it work on my old iPad (ios/safari). I am getting a new one for Christmas. Maybe that one will work!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

This Dolphin/Bengals game is unbelievable! 5 players ejected so far and a tremendous amount of injuries to players + a brawl on the sidelines. Rough game.

2021 Genesis G90

driver100 said:

I recognize the Mitsubishi but what’s the other car?