Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota: Problems & Solutions

1818283848587»

Comments

• ronslakie1ronslakie1 Member Posts: 57
    I have a 2K Dak 4.7 5 speed with 70K miles, which has been relatively problem free. Recently the A/C went out and it was diagnosed as a bad evaparator, which required removal of the dashboard. The bill (mostly labor) was a little over $1000. Luckily my extended warranty picked up almost all of it. I am wondering how common a problem this is, has anyone else had this problem?

Ron35
  • brake4me1brake4me1 Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2001 Dakota Quad with 90.000 miles. For some reason every 25,000 miles or so the truck starts to get a dull groan in the front area when the brakes are applied, usually in conjunction with taking a slow turn. I believe in the past the dodge service department has replaced worn sway bar bushings to correct the problem at a tune of $123 (parts and labor).

My question is how often should bushing wear out and is it safe to keep driving the truck if you don't replace bushings? I do ZERO off road driving and the truck has pretty much had an easy life. I'm starting to get tired of having to take the Dakota in every 2 years to have bushing replaced. Anyone else have this problem and is it normal for most trucks or a Dakota suspension problem?

Thanks for info/Brake4me
  • tjfitztjfitz Member Posts: 41
    Dennis, have you learned what is the cause of the smell? My daughter is driving a 1990 Dakota and has noticed an exhaust smell developing the past few weeks. I wonder if it has something to do with the weather getting colder (it is now October and she is up in high altitude).
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    You are getting rooked.

The sway bar bushings are just rubber thingies that can be replaced with the truck sitting on the ground using a wrench. Most folks DO NOT replace them and instead just use some rubber-lube and re-assemble.

Also, squeeky swaybar bushings do not constitute a "problem". At the worst, they are an annoyance.
  • dodgetrukndodgetrukn Member Posts: 116
    Ron see post 4115. Didn't cost me additional $ from my warranty direct warranty. I did not expect repairs at my mileage either..2001 quad cab 76k miles now, 4.7l 5sp, 3.92rear bought from flemington NJ dealer.. Ger
    2 People make it common..>?...Who else?
  • ronslakie1ronslakie1 Member Posts: 57
    I also have warranty direct and they covered all but $71, dealer said that they had a disagreement with WD on the amount of labor required and that was what the $71 went for. Mine happened at about 80 months into service.

Ron
  • drholland77drholland77 Member Posts: 8
    Tried to look up "Tenefly. The part # they sent was 05013660AA" on internet and can't find anything. Took the message to two auto repair places and they both said, "I don't want to fool with this problem" ... any suggestions on how to get this fixed? I hate taking it to a Dodge dealer.
  • drholland77drholland77 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 1999 Dodge Dakota, 4X4, 6 cyl., club cab

After extended use of the Air Conditioner I have lots of condensation dripping onto the floor mat on the passenger side. Any suggestions on how to fix this mess? One guy trying to blow out the tube, but didn't help.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

As you may have noticed, we are reorganizing the Forums to allow better focus and easier searching when you have a particular problem or comment about any given vehicle. Many of the large generic discussions (like this one) will be closed to new posts, and we ask that you continue in the more focused discussions that you can find at the Group page for the vehicle, linked below. This discussion will not be deleted, so you can still search for information in it.

We recognize this is going to take some getting used to (for the hosts too!), so please bear with us. If you have any questions, you can always email the host of any discussion - the link is at the top of each page to the host who oversees that discussion.

If you don't see a discussion in the group appropriate to your question or comment, start a new one, or send me an email, and I'll point you in the right direction!

Thanks!
    kcram - Pickups Host

Dodge Dakota Group
This discussion has been closed.