Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Suburban running rough, mpg dropped by half, check engine light on, service Stabilitrak

channelseventychannelseventy Member Posts: 2
edited February 2015 in Chevrolet
Our 2010 Chevy Suburban, 80k, suddenly began running rough, mpg halved, service Stabilitrak, service traction control, and check engine light came one. When downshifting to first gear the tranny jerked badly. Every dealer gave high dollar quotes saying the problem was everything from the computer, to the cat. converter, bad lifters, bad transmission, etc etc. One of the clerks at Autozone said it was a bad coil pack. We bought one coil pack and changed out one at a time until the truck suddenly ran great. The problem was a bad coil pack on cylinder 4. Coil pack was $80 and shade tree mechanic's time was $50.

Comments

• Options
    subburbanitesubburbanite Member Posts: 2
    Man, my local Autozone guys have saved me money and headache time and again.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    Did the dealers actually take the car in, perform and charge for diagnostics?
  • Options
    tahoelt10tahoelt10 Member Posts: 6
    I'm having the same issues along with the transmission stick breaking off... So far I've replaced the fuel pump and sensor along with the volm manifold. Truck started performing way better but now in having a torque converter issue
  • Options
    BigDaddyBigDaddy Member Posts: 2
    Why hasnt GM been sued for all of these issues.  I have had so many problems with my suburban its pathetic.  I just want to burn it.  
  • Options
    StevwStevw Member Posts: 1
    2010 suburban ltz. 185000 miles
    Stabilitrak error popping up along with engine code po301.
    Rough running
    Felt like breaks were being applied.
    Many other electrical errors popped up
    Changed spark plug 1 before trying coil packs. Changing one plug Solved all problems.
    Learned this through YouTube.