Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Picked up brand new 2021 Chevrolet Suburbans and GMC Yukons from Miami airport last week and drove them to Palm Beach International airport for Enterprise, my employer. Today, we took new 2021 Chevrolet Traxs and Kia Souls to different offices around South Florida. They also got in 2021 Toyota Rav4s, Corollas and Highlanders last week. Plus 2021 Chevrolet Sparks. They all drove nicely and think the Soul was the best of the smaller vehicles I drove. But, I'd have no problems driving the Corolla, Trax, Soul or Spark as my daily driver. Would love a Rav4 but think it's just a bit big for my needs to be honest.
    Good as all these vehicles may be, I still prefer my 2015 VW Golf and still smile whenever I see it or get in it to drive. For me personally, it does it all. Fun to drive but economical and the size is just about perfect. I ended up fixing a few issues last month instead of trading it in because just couldn't find something I like as much. And now that my driving has gone down from 13K/year to under 4K/year, a new vehicle just made no sense. Have one new tire thanks to the road hazard insurance I bought and the three others still at 9/32nd's, so tires won't be an issue for the next few years. Also got a new battery under the Interstate warranty back in late September so that's taken care of. So, I'm good right now and hoping it'll be a quiet couple of years with it going forward. Better I save the money so I can pay cash again next time if the 0% interest is no longer available.
    And who knows, I might try a lease next time as my driving now sure warrants one and this way, I'll always be under warranty. Well, something to think about since I've always bought my vehicles.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    I didn't know they still made the Spark.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    qbrozen said:

I didn't know they still made the Spark.

Carmax thru Edmunds offered $4,900 for the '16 Spark with 75K miles my parents-in-law own.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Yep, we bought a mess load of them and honestly, they drive just fine. A bit on the small side but I like a small vehicle so am fine with them. Most of the other drivers will do all they can not to take one but they all know now that I'm perfectly fine with one, so they leave them for me. Quite peppy to but one must not mash the pedal to the floor. After a few minutes, easy enough to know when to ease up on the accelerator a bit so it can rev properly. I think most folks don't like the slowish way it does get up to speed and it can get a bit loud if one mashes the pedal to the floor. No problem here with 'em.
    The Toyota Corolla's we got in don't have a regular auto tranny but a CVT but I can't tell the difference. Unlike the old Nissan units, these Corolla's shift just like a regular auto tranny. No issue and they do get up to speed rather quickly. I've always liked Corolla's but prefer the hatch they have in their lineup now. But if I had to get a sedan, only an "XLE" would work for me as I prefer the alloys. I know it's the top of the line and costs a bit more, but figure I want all the goodies and really, the extra cost ain't really that much. And now, SiriusXM is available, something else I really like having. And with their new "Select Package", it's even more affordable and worth the price. Their regular price is just outrageous and personally, not going to pay that much as I have plenty of music in my personal collection. They have about nine or so channels I just really like so I switch between those.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    edited November 2020
    To each his own, it I can’t think of a new car I’d want to drive less than a Spark.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

tjc78 said:

To each his own, it I can’t think of a new car I’d want to drive less than a Spark.

I was about to agree, but then thought “ooo ... challenge.” ;)

Let’s see ...
    Well, I’d take a Spark over a Prius. While I’d rather have the Prius drivetrain, I imagine the Spark is tons more fun, relatively speaking, and the Prius is just way too ugly for me to tolerate.
    It is possible, just maybe, it would be better than a short-range Leaf, as well. Although it would depend on circumstances. I owned a Leaf and never even drove a Spark, so I am biased. Leaf was Ok to drive, but I don’t need to do it again.
    How about an Ecosport? That strikes me as a rather dreadful vehicle. Very much like a Spark with far worse driving dynamics.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,075
    I think the Ecosport is the slowest 0-60 car sold in the U.S.

So, yeah.. that would be worse than a Spark.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

New-ish Tacoma TRD Sport on the freeway, on Thanksgiving. Something just seemed off about it.

Finally, figured it out. It was 2WD. Alabama plates.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

New-ish Tacoma TRD Sport on the freeway, on Thanksgiving. Something just seemed off about it.

Finally, figured it out. It was 2WD. Alabama plates.

That makes no sense to me.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    Sounds like the PreRunner. That was always a RWD

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

Sounds like the PreRunner. That was always a RWD

They even make the Off Road trim in 2WD. We don’t see them around here, though

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yeah, the Ecosport is pretty bad. Kind of forgot about that one

It was kinda slow I must admit. Luckily it had SiriusXM so I just made the best of it. Again, even the Spark drove better and again, it had SiriusXM so I was happy enough. In here, most of us are lucky that we can drive nicer vehicles than these couple. But, there are many who'd be very happy with a new Spark as their daily driver, I've worked with a few these past few years who are in this situation. One went from a 10-speed to a Mitsubishi Mirage and was very happy!
    So really, everyone's situation is different and I feel incredibly blessed that I can afford basically anything I want, same as most in these forums. But, if things were different and all I could afford was that Spark, I'd be happy all the same for having something new that I could count on.

busy couple of days around my neighborhood.

down the block, there is a family that decided to go all hybrid. A few weeks back, they replaced an older generation Sonata with a new Sonata hybrid. That is a seriously long looking car. And low. And this week, I noticed they replaced a Kia Sorrento with a new Highlander hybrid. Must be doing OK for themselves!

and my next door neighbors seem to have gotten a new car for their daughter (a freshman in college). She had a Jeep Patriot in HS (no clue what year, but I assume early 2010s?) They pretty much looked the same from 2007 to 2015 so hard to tell. Anyway, Monday there was a Mazda CX30 there instead with temp tags. So if not new, very slightly used since I think they only came out for MY 2020.

My guess, they got that for the same reason we got my daughter a new Jetta to replace her old Volvo. Neighbor kid also goes to college in NC, and I suspect she will be taking the car back for spring term this year. And they wanted something safer and more reliable to have her doing the 450+ mile trip in.

Sharp looking car though. I really like it. I could see having one of them.

Last car a new Sienna (hybrid too). I saw another one a week or so back. Could be the same one though. Very interesting styling on that.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,315
    edited December 2020
    Saw this today. About the same size as a new Escape, so larger than previous gen.
    Big Bend model. 2 option Co pilot 360 and trailer tow. Just under 31k MSRP.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Which one is that? The Escape based or the real one?

Escape based. Bigger Bronco is delayed.
    From a few reviews I watched on Youtube, the Bronco sport really looks like a nice car. Hopefully Ford gets the quality right on this launch (for a change).

Nice car yes...but my opinion is it shouldn’t have the Bronco name.

Having said that, they are using the Mustang name on that electric thing so this probably isn’t as bad.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    Early reviews of new vehicles are almost always extremely positive. Wait a few months for the more balanced ones to appear with the usual complaints about "hard plastics", infotainment system glitches, poor transmission programming, etc.

I figure we will see about 10 Bronco Escapes Bronco Sports for every single Ranger-based "real" Bronco once production settles in.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

that makes sense. It is a mainstream product, not a niche unit.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,252
    Not sure why everyone is ragging on Ford for the Bronco Sport moniker.

It's not like they're the first to do this:

Range Rover ------> Range Rover Sport

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited December 2020
    And let's not forget the Bronco II. That was an atrocity.

qbrozen said:

We took a look at those before we bought the Isuzu Trooper in 1988.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

I liked the Bronco II. I knew someone that had one.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    My wife was following a Bronco II on the Seward highway in Anchorage. It was towing a small trailer - the trailer started swaying, the driver over-corrected, and ended up on their roof!
    y'all make me sad. lol.

texases said:

My wife was following a Bronco II on the Seward highway in Anchorage. It was towing a small trailer - the trailer started swaying, the driver over-corrected, and ended up on their roof!

They had a propensity to roll even without a trailer.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/ford-bronco-ii-history-epic-disaster/

We had a Bronco II for about 4 years. It was cute and don't remember any issues with it other than my left leg used to hit the door unlock button when driving.
    edited December 2020
    Michaell said:

I think its because the Escape is not seen as anything other than a jacked-up AWD Focus mall-crawler, not as an offroader, I thought it was interesting that in the otherwise softball review of the Bronco Sport by Roadshow, the reviewer mentioned that the rear differential overheated within 12 minutes of off-road use, but she shrugged it off as a glitch, not a design limitation. Meanwhile from what I can gather, the Range Rover variants are actual off-road vehicles with some models being a bit more on-road biased/civilized. Perhaps there will be a real Bronco like that too, I dunno.

ab348 said:

Michaell said:

I think its because the Escape is not seen as anything other than a jacked-up AWD Focus mall-crawler, not as an offroader, I thought it was interesting that in the otherwise softball review of the Bronco Sport by Roadshow, the reviewer mentioned that the rear differential overheated within 12 minutes of off-road use, but she shrugged it off as a glitch, not a design limitation. Meanwhile from what I can gather, the Range Rover variants are actual off-road vehicles with some models being a bit more on-road biased/civilized. Perhaps there will be a real Bronco like that too, I dunno.
    I was commenting on the naming convention, not necessarily the on-road/off-road worthiness.

I read another review about the rear diff issues - that doesn't bode well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

qbrozen said:

Well history repeats itself then, that Bronco was based on the Ranger too.

I think the II was available with a diesel for a short time. That must have just been wonderful to drive.

People have been bitching about the Mustang nameplate forever. Remember the Mustang II?

My thoughts: Who cares?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

It was cute.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    It's nice when a "badge" or nameplate means something. If Audi released a Neon RS or HHR RS it would cheapen the RS badge. Sort of like R/T was cheapened and SS was cheapened by GM with those models.

Wasn't there also a slow Malibu SS?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    andres3 said:

It's nice when a "badge" or nameplate means something. If Audi released a Neon RS or HHR RS it would cheapen the RS badge. Sort of like R/T was cheapened and SS was cheapened by GM with those models.

Wasn't there also a slow Malibu SS?

You could get a Chevy SS with a 6 in '63 or so...
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,164
    I never minded those, maybe because they were new when I was a kid - seemed fine in my eyes. Those wheels are cool too.

It was cute.

@fintial,
    Plus is was a 5 speed stick and autolocking hubs.
    parked at a shopping center, a new temp tag C8 (white). pretty funky in person.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    Black Bronco Sport. I hadn't realized these were in circulation yet, but it looks surprisingly boring in person. I expect the big Bronco still to come will be much better, but this thing just had a rental car vibe to it.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

I like the look of the sport. Partly because I prefer SUV.CUVs that are actually square and boxy, so you can more useful cargo space, better people room, and vastly better visibility out of them.

not brand new, but was next to a Carvana rollback today with a while MB GLC on it. Must be a christmas present for someone, since it was being delivered (based on the temp tags),

speaking of them, was behind a car yesterday that was wearing temp tags and a Vroom plate frame. the odd part was that the temp tag was from Texas, and I am in NJ! I honestly can't remember what the car was (not something super exciting) but someone paid to ship that one a long way it seems.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    stickguy said:

I like the look of the sport. Partly because I prefer SUV.CUVs that are actually square and boxy, so you can more useful cargo space, better people room, and vastly better visibility out of them.

I understand the like of boxy; I'm there with you. It was the plastics and details that made this thing look blech. Maybe it was the trim level, idk, but while I was neutral when I saw the press photos, it definitely became negative when I saw this one in the flesh.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

I still have not seen one in person, even on the road, never might up close.

I do miss being able to just drop into a dealership on a whim and sit in stuff. I need to at least start lot walking again.

Bronco Sport competes with Jeep Compass or Cherokee, so that's at least some of its' competition.
    in the last week, a couple of different C8 Vettes out and about. So they must be selling a few if I saw 2 different ones near my house.

stickguy said:

in the last week, a couple of different C8 Vettes out and about. So they must be selling a few if I saw 2 different ones near my house.

I saw a red one on Wednesday too.

Someone apparently spec'd a new G in a very similar color to my fintail. I think I need this:

is that baby blue? Or some kind of gray/white (what I thought your car was)?

I still don't see the appeal of these. Then again, I am not an NFL player, rapper or a Kardashian so likely not the target audience.

I don't have the backstory, but I think it is a Designo Manufaktur color - the top dog of special order paint, one can choose anything offered on any MB car, or historic paint colors. This appears to be the old "China Blue", which is what replaced the color of my car (at the time simply called "hellblau").

I'd prefer a non-AMG model, but for that color, an exception could be made. I think the point of the car for many is to be brash and showy, by driving something that looks like an anachronism. I drove a prior model once, I wasn't in love with how tall it felt, but the door handle and door operation was fun - the door handle is like on a 50 year old car, and it really does feel like a vault.

This is my car - adjusting for age and/or lighting, the color is probably very close, if not the same: