Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550
    this is cool. Never heard of this special edition before. Lot of white going on though. Still, a very stock, super low mile clean 5.0 like this is probably pretty rare at this point.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/37pRj47v/1992-ford-mustang-lx-50-summer-edition

not a fan of the colors, but I am oddly attached to this one too. Yes I am a 3 pedal addict.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KV2LONek/2013-mercedes-benz-slk250

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    edited January 2021

corvette said:

Zero deductible on glass replacement expenses, though, so it's not like I'm out anything.

I'm wondering what the premium for zero deductible glass replacement is going to be in the coming years. I could guess.

It seems to be optional in most states. In mine, it's required to be included in the premium if you have comprehensive coverage.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,795
    corvette said:

corvette said:

Zero deductible on glass replacement expenses, though, so it's not like I'm out anything.

I'm wondering what the premium for zero deductible glass replacement is going to be in the coming years. I could guess.

It seems to be optional in most states. In mine, it's required to be included in the premium if you have comprehensive coverage.
    I'm not sure what the deductible is on mine, but I know that there is some level of coverage. I've never claimed it for my Subarus - windshields run abour $400 a pop on those, and I usually replace once every three years (after they are well and truly cracked to bits). I think the glass on my Q7 is $1200 or more, so, if I need to replace that one, I will likely claim it. I did some chip repairs after my first winter with it, but have not needed to do anything since.... I have somehow made it three years without new chips! Where's a wooden surface when you need one?! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,666
    corvette said:

So, who wants Hoovie's 1st gen RX-7?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmS7NxkjD8o</blockquote Didn’t that generation need the engine rebuilt/replaced every 50k miles?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

corvette said:

Good point. Will the insurance companies underwrite based on the type of windshield you have or will owners with cheap to replace glass get stuck paying for someone else’s $2000 windshield?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited January 2021
    stickguy said:

this is cool. Never heard of this special edition before. Lot of white going on though. Still, a very stock, super low mile clean 5.0 like this is probably pretty rare at this point.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/37pRj47v/1992-ford-mustang-lx-50-summer-edition

not a fan of the colors, but I am oddly attached to this one too. Yes I am a 3 pedal addict.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KV2LONek/2013-mercedes-benz-slk250

I don’t know about the MB but that Mustang should top $10k easy. That vintage has been going up in value. If you want a cheap SLK get a Chrysler Crossfire.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,319
    You could get those monochrome Mustangs in Red or White or Yellow.
    The matte black hood treatment was added,
    It's a 5 speed, not 6 speed manual.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,123
    corvette said:

corvette said:

It's a KY state insurance regulation. "Safety" equipment has to be zero deductible on comprehensive insurance. That includes headlight, taillights and glass.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

corvette said:

So, who wants Hoovie's 1st gen RX-7?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmS7NxkjD8o

They all need rebuilds (even the most recent rotary, the RENESIS). People don’t understand that they ALL burn oil, by design. They had problems with the seals on the early rotaries (like the one in the video). Still, if you keep a case of oil in the hatch, and check it every fill up, add as needed, they should last a while. There aren’t that many moving parts in them.

You don’t see many of them on the road because most people treated them as they would a regular piston engine. Subsequently, they needed a rebuild early in their life cycle and people dumped them.

You find one (and gen) in good shape, and they’re a blast to drive. The RENESIS (last gen) had a 9K redline and loved using every bit of it.

The gen in the video did have problems with rust, too. Plus, that color is...well...less than desirable.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    I’ve read that reg before... makes me wonder whether they should be covering things like polishing or replacing old, hazy headlights, or if something mechanical inside them breaks, as they often did on older BMWs.
    corvette said:

I’ve read that reg before... makes me wonder whether they should be covering things like polishing or replacing old, hazy headlights, or if something mechanical inside them breaks, as they often did on older BMWs.

I don't know about should.... they don't cover it.

Plus, no regulation that you have to carry comprehensive. So, plenty of old cars riding around with busted windshields.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I’ve never had glass coverage. Don’t think it is a “thing” in NJ

Returned the Altima and picked up the Tundra. It's strike one for this dealer. Nothing terrible, just a lack of attention to a lot of things. More to come later, I'm still trying to process all the messed up paperwork I received from them.
  • rny421rny421 Member Posts: 160
    Hey Everyone,
    Hope you're all staying safe during these crazy times. Luckily there looks to be an end in sight, but I'm getting impatient.

Now, onto cars - I've always had a thing for EVs, as the technology interests me. With both of us currently working from home, plus my commute being relatively short, range isn't much of an issue, especially with one of our cars being gasoline. I floated the idea past my wife, and she didn't say no... so it got me looking into it.

On paper, the perfect choices would be the Jaguar I-Pace or Audi e-Tron, as I like a more luxury-oriented vehicle, but I can't get behind spending $50K used or what seems to be a $600+ lease payment. I could probably justify it at $500, but that doesn't seem realistic from what I've seen.

The BMW i3 EV seems to have some great lease deals, but the fact that it's RWD is a negative as we get a lot of snow in NY. I may be able to get over it if I can get to a ~$250 payment for a loaded one. I've also thought about the Mini Cooper SE, but it looks like those aren't available for lease?

Decisions decisions....

2017 Mercedes GLC300 | 2021 Audi E-Tron
    stickguy said:

Sure you do. It’s part of your comprehensive and collision insurance. Same as KY. It’s just that KY regulates the deductible on that portion of it. I’m sure it results in our insurance premium being higher than it would be, otherwise, all else being equal.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,430
    rny421 said:

Hey Everyone,
    Hope you're all staying safe during these crazy times. Luckily there looks to be an end in sight, but I'm getting impatient.

Now, onto cars - I've always had a thing for EVs, as the technology interests me. With both of us currently working from home, plus my commute being relatively short, range isn't much of an issue, especially with one of our cars being gasoline. I floated the idea past my wife, and she didn't say no... so it got me looking into it.

On paper, the perfect choices would be the Jaguar I-Pace or Audi e-Tron, as I like a more luxury-oriented vehicle, but I can't get behind spending $50K used or what seems to be a $600+ lease payment. I could probably justify it at $500, but that doesn't seem realistic from what I've seen.

The BMW i3 EV seems to have some great lease deals, but the fact that it's RWD is a negative as we get a lot of snow in NY. I may be able to get over it if I can get to a ~$250 payment for a loaded one. I've also thought about the Mini Cooper SE, but it looks like those aren't available for lease?

Decisions decisions....

A few guys on the board have gone electric & seem happy with it. I also know a few people in my personal life that went electric and like it too.

Where is NY do you live. Big difference in the severity of winter between Long Island, Syracuse, & Buffalo;). Is your gas car AWD or 4WD? You have a short commute. If the snow is that bad, can you work from home or just not go in?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• rny421rny421 Member Posts: 160
    nyccarguy said:

Where is NY do you live. Big difference in the severity of winter between Long Island, Syracuse, & Buffalo;). Is your gas car AWD or 4WD? You have a short commute. If the snow is that bad, can you work from home or just not go in?

I'm in Rochester, so we get about 100+ inches of snow per year, although we've had basically nothing this year so far. While I am primarily working from home right now, I do need to go in a few times per week, and those trips are not always planned in advance. That being said, my wife can 100% work from home without ever having to go in, so when life returns to normal and if we both end up commuting again, she would likely have no issue staying home on days with any significant snow. It's definitely an option, but kind of adds a layer of "compromise" that I may be fine with, but she might not want to be a part of B) .
    2017 Mercedes GLC300 | 2021 Audi E-Tron
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,945
    breld said:
    Very good, especially CPO.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

Sure you do. It’s part of your comprehensive and collision insurance. Same as KY. It’s just that KY regulates the deductible on that portion of it. I’m sure it results in our insurance premium being higher than it would be, otherwise, all else being equal.
    I meant separate coverage without the deductible, which it seems many other states have.

qbrozen said:

breld said:
    Very good, especially CPO.
    I really like this one. Even with black interior. At least it tones down the orange!

My email to the SA:

Just wanted to follow up with a few concerns on this repair order--I have attached a complete scan of the documentation I received when I picked up my Tundra today, so that we have the same reference. 

The multipoint inspection form appears to be completely blank (the RO says they did one, but the form I received doesn't have any boxes checked). I went back and reviewed the paperwork from the 5,000 mile ToyotaCare maintenance I had performed at your dealership, and noticed the same issue in that I received a blank multipoint inspection form on that visit, as well. Also, it appears some washer fluid may have been added during this week's visit, but it was not topped off. 

The RO does not have any explanation of what was or was not done in regard to diagnosing and repairing warranty items A and B, nor does the "know your vehicle" printout. Unfortunately, I experienced a recurrence of problem B shortly after leaving the dealership. It sounds like an alternator whine, which I thought was something that had been completely eliminated from modern vehicles, however, the RO only indicates the truck was driven one mile based on the mileage in/out figures. It does not appear anyone actually drove the vehicle to diagnose this concern. In addition, the first time I started the truck after picking it up, the radio had been left in a service mode, which I had to exit. 

The RO indicates a charge of $593.39 for camera recalibration on the windshield. There are various charges and credits for the complimentary 10,000 mile ToyotaCare maintenance, however, my credit card was charged for $605.39. I am not clear on the reason for the $12 discrepancy. 

I do not live or work in XXXXXX and chose your dealership over geographically closer options because I believed I would have a better service experience. In addition, I paid out of pocket for a rental car, because I knew that the issue with the audio system might take a significant amount of time to properly diagnose and might require that parts be ordered. Given the totality of the above, this has been a disappointing experience. 

Best regards,
    corvette

(Note, I scanned him copies of the documents I actually received, because the RO looked like it could have been a rough draft and not a final copy.)
    Vette, sounds annoying. I like efficient dealers. The VW place, not happy with them but Acura is on top of things. Just need them to send me a new coupon. Maintenance minder is down to 20%. When it hits 15, the wrench lights up telling you to take it in.

Earlier than I expected. Sitting at 4,200 miles, and 10 months old yesterday. Maybe because of so many short hops. No biggie, better a little early than too late! Coupon is usually $49.95, for oil change, tire rotation, and MPI. I’m happy with that.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,985
    In addition to actual running usage I wonder if the maintenance minder counts down by days as well. If I recall Honda/Acura states that the car requires at minimum a yearly service, typically an oil change/filter.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

rny421 said:

nyccarguy said:

I'm in Rochester, so we get about 100+ inches of snow per year, although we've had basically nothing this year so far. While I am primarily working from home right now, I do need to go in a few times per week, and those trips are not always planned in advance. That being said, my wife can 100% work from home without ever having to go in, so when life returns to normal and if we both end up commuting again, she would likely have no issue staying home on days with any significant snow. It's definitely an option, but kind of adds a layer of "compromise" that I may be fine with, but she might not want to be a part of B) .
    If you're looking at an EV right now, I personally think Tesla is the way to go. Within a year or two that could be different, but Tesla is still way ahead of everyone else as far as the electric experience. If you can live with the standard white and standard wheels, a Model Y is $49k for the long range AWD with 326 miles of range. A Model 3 will be a few thousand less.

I certainly would go the lease route on any other EV instead of a purchase (new or used). Teslas seem to hold their value very well. I think the e-Tron and iPace, with their barely over 200 mile range will not do the same.

sda said:

In addition to actual running usage I wonder if the maintenance minder counts down by days as well. If I recall Honda/Acura states that the car requires at minimum a yearly service, typically an oil change/filter.

They should IMO. but my prior 2 didn’t look at days. Maybe the new one dies though (but just has % left displayed)

edited January 2021
    breld said:

rny421 said:

nyccarguy said:

If you're looking at an EV right now, I personally think Tesla is the way to go. Within a year or two that could be different, but Tesla is still way ahead of everyone else as far as the electric experience. If you can live with the standard white and standard wheels, a Model Y is $49k for the long range AWD with 326 miles of range. A Model 3 will be a few thousand less.

I certainly would go the lease route on any other EV instead of a purchase (new or used). Teslas seem to hold their value very well. I think the e-Tron and iPace, with their barely over 200 mile range will not do the same.
    Eh. The Mach-E may have a shorter range (real-world comparison yet to come), but it is far better looking, IMHO, and a few grand cheaper thanks to still be eligible for the $7500 fed rebate. Projected performance is a virtual tie (again, real-world comparison yet to come). And, shocking to say, but I trust the Ford build quality and product support WAY more. Quite likely, it will lease better, too. Tesla leases are awful.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

My Mustang had a percentage counter that would lose about 2% per week, even when not driven - it was clearly counting time and usage both. The older Honda and GM OLMs counted usage only, though know GM now counts time as well, but not sure about Honda/Acura.
    the couple of Mach E test reviews I watched were really positive. If I was picking one today, and ultimate range wasn't the primary criteria, I would probably take the Ford. Not sure about charging options though (obviously can't use the SC network, but hopefully there are enough fast chargers, and it can utilize them, to not have to spend forever parked outside a Walmart every 3 hours!)

Oh I agree the Mach-E is better looking and at least a few reviews have remarked on the build quality being better than the Tesla.

I considered ordering one before I pulled the trigger on the X3, but decided it'd be better to wait for any initial bugs to be worked out and more importantly, for supply and demand to settle.

I just think if you wanted to buy an EV today, Tesla is the way to go.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,795
    breld said:

Oh I agree the Mach-E is better looking and at least a few reviews have remarked on the build quality being better than the Tesla.

I considered ordering one before I pulled the trigger on the X3, but decided it'd be better to wait for any initial bugs to be worked out and more importantly, for supply and demand to settle.

I just think if you wanted to buy an EV today, Tesla is the way to go.

Plus, had you ordered one, it would have already been traded twice over by the time you were actually able to drive it off the lot! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Test drove a 2020 Explorer XLT today.
    It was built in August of 2020. Fit and finish looked good. 2.3 ecoboost(4cyl) seemed to have reasonable power, but a bit grainy. Transmission was smooth and RWD felt good. Heard some wind noise on the highway and the radio didn't seem that great, but I was really focusing on the other features.
    It's equipped just the way I want it, but dealer was firm on price and I didn't qualify for one of the rebates due to it being determined by where you live. I live in the Boston zone and they are the last dealer in New York zone.
    Here's a link so you see what it looks like. It's one of the most highly optioned XLT's out there.
    https://www.lombardford.com/new-Barkhamsted-2020-Ford-Explorer-XLT+++4WD-1FMSK8DH3LGC85169
    What is “active transmission warm up” on the Explorer?
    corvette said:

What is “active transmission warm up” on the Explorer?

A family of gerbils lives in there and keeps it warm with their breath.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,985
    @explorerx4 The Explorer looks nice, would prefer a lighter color interior. I have little room to talk as the Passat has a black interior. When I see a sticker price on a nice but not top of the line vehicle approach $50k, that just floors me. I know that is more common today, but I guess I live under a rock.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,282
    sda said:

@explorerx4 but I guess I live under a rock.

Nah, just a sign of getting old.

My dad was appalled that he had to spend almost $18,000 for their new 2003 Sonata GLS V6.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,385

Test drove a 2020 Explorer XLT today.
    It was built in August of 2020. Fit and finish looked good. 2.3 ecoboost(4cyl) seemed to have reasonable power, but a bit grainy. Transmission was smooth and RWD felt good. Heard some wind noise on the highway and the radio didn't seem that great, but I was really focusing on the other features.
    It's equipped just the way I want it, but dealer was firm on price and I didn't qualify for one of the rebates due to it being determined by where you live. I live in the Boston zone and they are the last dealer in New York zone.
    Here's a link so you see what it looks like. It's one of the most highly optioned XLT's out there.
    https://www.lombardford.com/new-Barkhamsted-2020-Ford-Explorer-XLT+++4WD-1FMSK8DH3LGC85169

I like the red a lot. Don’t see too many of them in that color. Where did you land with the dealer on price? The ~$43k number on the link?

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

I like the look of the new Explorer a lot. I was really impressed with the ST model I test drove, and for more than just the engine.

edited January 2021
    @au1994,
    Since I am not eligible for for one of the rebates, price is closer to 47k. Can get 0% for 72 month financing in addition to some other rebates(either 2750 or 3500) after discount from MSRP.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,605
    qbrozen said:

Tesla leases are awful.

Tesla doesn't need to worry about leasing; they can't keep up with demand as it is-

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Model Y's are only 2-6 weeks.

Not that I look at those kind of things.

I wouldn’t call even 11 weeks “not able to keep up with demand.” I mean, we are talking custom order here. Any manufacturer takes many weeks to 4 mos or so for custom order.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,605
    qbrozen said:

I wouldn’t call even 11 weeks “not able to keep up with demand.” I mean, we are talking custom order here. Any manufacturer takes many weeks to 4 mos or so for custom order.

I would. I have two co-workers in the market; local delivery center has none on the ground right now.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,385

@au1994,
    Since I am not eligible for for one of the rebates, price is closer to 47k. Can get 0% for 72 month financing in addition to some other rebates(either 2750 or 3500) after discount from MSRP.

%47k isn’t bad, not great either but competitive for the segment. Doesn’t seem to be any deals in SUV land lately.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

edited January 2021
    rny421 said:

Hey Everyone,

Decisions decisions....

Too bad as we had a member do a lease swap on his EV a few days ago.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    edited January 2021
    *raises hand* Yep - but I'm in Seattle - wouldn't have been a cost effective option for someone on the east coast to take it. I think I saw some i3 deals from some lease brokers in the northeast.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    breld said:
    Not bad. Any accident history or other surprises?

sda said:

My Mustang does that. Very annoying when you’ve only put 1500 miles on the car.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,282
    qbrozen said:

IIRC, there are like 3 or 4 options for Tesla - exterior color, interior color (black or white), wheels and powertrain. Not much custom about those orders.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,094
    @explorerx4 , I would be wary of a 2020 Explorer with wind noise. That is one of the items I’ve read as being one of the issues with the assembly plant problems from the launch of production.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6