Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• rny421rny421 Member Posts: 160
    Range isn't really a big deal for me. I'd even be fine with the Mini's ~110 mile range, but again, don't want to pay new pricing for it because I bet it'll drop like a rock.

Somehow I completely forgot about the Mach-E. I really like the looks of it. I wonder how it will lease. Given that it's brand new, I doubt it will be in line with what I want to pay.

I did look at Tesla's, and their new leases are effectively $700+ for an AWD Model 3. That being said, if I could take over someone else's lease for ~$500.... I'd consider it. Most of the sub-$500 payment Teslas on Swap A Lease are also requiring thousands down. This one doesn't say anything - what am I missing?

https://www.swapalease.com/lease/details/2019-Tesla-Model-3.aspx?salid=1523327
    2017 Mercedes GLC300 | 2021 Audi E-Tron
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    edited January 2021
    I don't understand what it would mean to "have Teslas on the ground." There are no dealerships, so where exactly would they be? Hell, it took 3 weeks for me to get an existing used car shipped to me.

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but if they were not able to keep up with demand, then the wait time would keep getting longer and longer. Given that it stays pretty steady, then they are obviously producing them at the same steady rate as the orders are coming in.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    If you go to the Tesla website, there is plenty of inventory. Quite a few standard range RWD Model 3 units round these here parts. I like it in Red. Nice car for under $40K. I wonder how it would compare to the Genesis G70 2.0T AWD I saw on the lot for about the same MSRP. With just under 2 years until our Pilot is paid off and 9 months until I have to get a new truck (that is going to cost more than $325/month), I have no business shelling out another $40K for a 4th car;)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    The X1 went in for an Oil Service today; I received a short video showing everything was in good shape-no upsells-and that it was good to go.
    I had another M340i for a loaner. Really fast and comfortable, but just too big. My wife remarked that it didn't feel like a 3 Series- more like a 5 or 7 Series. Not a bad car at all, just not for me.
    In other news, the sales guy at the Toyota dealer really wants to move that Supra; he's even found a lender with a 0.9 APR up to 48 months.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012

The X1 went in for an Oil Service today; I received a short video showing everything was in good shape-no upsells-and that it was good to go.
    I had another M340i for a loaner. Really fast and comfortable, but just too big. My wife remarked that it didn't feel like a 3 Series- more like a 5 or 7 Series. Not a bad car at all, just not for me.
    In other news, the sales guy at the Toyota dealer really wants to move that Supra; he's even found a lender with a 0.9 APR up to 48 months.

Those floorplan costs do add up, eventually.

I think that's why @breld got the deal he did, on his.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262

Ask them whether they will throw in a t-shirt that says "I am the warranty, unless a warning light is on." :@
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710

breld said:
    Not bad. Any accident history or other surprises?
    Not that I can see from the listing and Carfax...the pricing seems so strong that I also assumed something was amiss. I thought perhaps it was a rare RWD model in these parts, or there was damage on the carfax, but it all seems clean.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    edited January 2021
    I’m guessing the color is a love it or hate it, erring towards hate it for most. So that is probably driving price. I liked it.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

FWIW, the rebate in effect when I bought my Supra could not be combined with the low APR. So if it’s an either/or thing again, at least you’d be getting one side of it with the low interest rate.

Sounds like the dealership recognizes that having a legitimate interested party is valuable - perhaps they can throw everything they have at the deal to move it during these tough selling months.

I’m guessing the color is a love it or hate it, erring towards hate it for most. So that is probably driving price. I liked it.

I assume you’re talking of the sunset orange? I think you’re right. There are two 440’s in that color I’ve been “tracking” and they sure aren’t moving very fast.

@28firefighter - you’re looking at that Golf R tomorrow, right?

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    edited January 2021
    Well, can't complain about a 530xiT, even if it's less sporty than a Golf R... It is getting to the age where there may be a decided advantage in "borrowing" it from a family member, with the possibility of not being 100% financially responsible for repairs, if you know what I mean! ;)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515

No. I was supposed to see it on Sunday, but my Dad’s accident has turned everything upside down. He is not going to be able to drive for months and it’ll be even longer before there is any chance of being able to shift a manual.

So, my Mom and Dad have asked if I would take temporary custody of his 2007 BMW 530xiT 6MT (I helped him buy this last year) until he is ready to drive it again - it’s rare enough that if we sell it, he might not find another like it reasonably. I’m waiting on a shipping carrier to pick it up and bring it to Seattle. Far from a penalty box and probably a 12 month thing.

lucky they have you for that. Of course, I am much closer and have an empty garage bay, and would have been happy to keep it exercised for a bit. No shipping needed, I would pick it up!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

and I keep expecting to get a call about my dad that leads to having his car become my problem. Unfortunately it is a couple year old Sentra. I guess, for free, better than nothing?

stickguy said:

and I keep expecting to get a call about my dad that leads to having his car become my problem. Unfortunately it is a couple year old Sentra. I guess, for free, better than nothing?

That’s what I keep thinking about my moms Sonata in California.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

oh, if I had a car sitting there like that I would have already taken it home. My dad is actually still using his (we try not to think about this too much, but he does not go far) and you be mad if I took it.

I’m fully expecting to have a bunch of stuff go wrong - though we have maintenance history going back 10 years, so I’m cautiously optimistic.

Very kind offer of you, stick! Hahaha.
    Regarding the Golf R, I was seriously ready to buy it - I had financing lined up and everything. But, my Dad seriously loves this car so I’m happy to keep it warm for him.

Regarding the Golf R, I was seriously ready to buy it - I had financing lined up and everything. But, my Dad seriously loves this car so I’m happy to keep it warm for him.

I'm sure there will be another Golf R (or equivalent) when the time is right.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    stickguy said:

oh, if I had a car sitting there like that I would have already taken it home. My dad is actually still using his (we try not to think about this too much, but he does not go far) and you be mad if I took it.

"Curmudgeon? Curmudgeon?! I'll show you curmudgeon if you try to take my car!!!!"
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    stickguy said:

Just think of it as getting a company car. “what the heck, its free”

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    rny421 said:

Range isn't really a big deal for me. I'd even be fine with the Mini's ~110 mile range, but again, don't want to pay new pricing for it because I bet it'll drop like a rock.

Somehow I completely forgot about the Mach-E. I really like the looks of it. I wonder how it will lease. Given that it's brand new, I doubt it will be in line with what I want to pay.

I did look at Tesla's, and their new leases are effectively $700+ for an AWD Model 3. That being said, if I could take over someone else's lease for ~$500.... I'd consider it. Most of the sub-$500 payment Teslas on Swap A Lease are also requiring thousands down. This one doesn't say anything - what am I missing?

From what little I could find, the top GT model will be over $700 a month.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381

Agree, it’s got to be the color driving this. I too love it and as a matter of fact, set out to get the X1 in the same combo but it was sold before I got there. That’s a heck of a deal for a 440i.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    breld said:

breld said:
    Not bad. Any accident history or other surprises?
    Not that I can see from the listing and Carfax...the pricing seems so strong that I also assumed something was amiss. I thought perhaps it was a rare RWD model in these parts, or there was damage on the carfax, but it all seems clean.
    Well, you know I’m a sucker for low mileage cars. You have my permission to pull the trigger.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    edited January 2021
    rny421 said:

I love when I see used TESLA ads and they say: "Up to date with all maintenance." This car has 6,800 miles on it. What maintenance have they done besides wash it?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

au1994 said:

Agree, it’s got to be the color driving this. I too love it and as a matter of fact, set out to get the X1 in the same combo but it was sold before I got there. That’s a heck of a deal for a 440i.
    good maintenance too. 2 oil changes before 10k miles. Does turn 3 YO in a couple of weeks

stickguy said:

au1994 said:

good maintenance too. 2 oil changes before 10k miles. Does turn 3 YO in a couple of weeks
    So about 2 more years of warranty with the CPO I believe. Though no more “free” maintenance.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    breld said:
    Maybe it’s NOT an AWD car sitting at a dealer in Denver? Or, did I miss that in the listing? I do agree.....seems like a mighty good price. Color is dubious IMHO, though.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    tifighter said:

qbrozen said:

I wouldn’t call even 11 weeks “not able to keep up with demand.” I mean, we are talking custom order here. Any manufacturer takes many weeks to 4 mos or so for custom order.

I would. I have two co-workers in the market; local delivery center has none on the ground right now.
    Didn’t someone around here nail down a super cheap lease on a Chevy Bolt of Volt recently? I think it may be geographically dependent on what kind of deal you get, too.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    @roadburner , just curious, did you ever try on a CTS-V, ATS-V, or even CTS Vsport?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

breld said:

stickguy said:

au1994 said:

So about 2 more years of warranty with the CPO I believe. Though no more “free” maintenance.
    weird warranty. 1 more year of normal BtoB, then 1 year of CPO coverage, then 1 year of 6/70 powertrain coverage (assuming you don't blow through the miles on the BtoB or powertrain early).

and that car is an Xdrive. Must be the color combo holding it back if the price is lower than normal.

corvette said:

Ask them whether they will throw in a t-shirt that says "I am the warranty, unless a warning light is on." :@
    I am still concerned about Toyota “technicians” servicing what is for all practical purposes a BMW. I wonder if there are any decent Toyota service departments in the Louisville area.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

My wife and I both love Sunset Orange. I want either that color or Hockenheim Silver if I get an M2 Comp.

edited January 2021
    qbrozen said:

@roadburner , just curious, did you ever try on a CTS-V, ATS-V, or even CTS Vsport?

I drove a friend’s CTS-V that was fitted with a Lingenfelter 700 hp motor. It was lots of fun but again a bit too big- and I wasn’t all that impressed with the interior. Also, the local Cadillac dealer has a difficult time relating to customers who still have all their own teeth and don’t wear bright green slacks with white shoes and a matching belt.
    When I worked at BMW we all dreaded having to take a Cadillac trade down there to have it appraised. The UCM was just bizarre- he’d belligerently ask whoever brought the car down, “How come you didn’t buy it here?”
    He would have to be reminded that we weren’t actual customers.
    I think I told the story of my friend who bought a CTS- that same dealer was going to charge an hour of labor to “diagnose” a weak key fob remote battery.

corvette said:

I am still concerned about Toyota “technicians” servicing what is for all practical purposes a BMW. I wonder if there are any decent Toyota service departments in the Louisville area.
    if it is routine service (oil changes, etc.) on your dime, just take it to the BMW dealer. Only really an issue if it needs something warranty related. Toyota is a smart company, so I assume they worked out the logistics for this.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271
    New Toyotas come with 2yr/ 24k mile prepaid maintenance
    well, if you can afford a new $40K+ car, and are concerned about it, bite the bullet and just add to the total cost.

Or just DIY it in the garage.

edited January 2021

qbrozen said:

I drove a friend’s CTS-V that was fitted with a Lingenfelter 700 hp motor. It was lots of fun but again a bit to big and I wasn’t all that impressed with the interior. Also, the local Cadillac dealer has a difficult time relating to customers who still have all their own teeth an don’t wear bright green slacks with white shoes and a matching belt.
    When I worked at BMW we all dreaded having to take a Cadillac trade down there to have it appraised. The UCM was just bizarre- he’d belligerently ask whoever brought the car down, “How come you didn’t buy it here?”
    He would have to be reminded that we weren’t actual customers.
    I think I told the story of my friend who bought a CTS- that same dealer was going to charge an hour of labor to “diagnose” a weak key fob remote battery.
    ha. well, good reasons.
    I liked the interior in my 2014. Very upscale. Definitely better than either of our 2018 bimmers. But I know the older gens were pretty bad inside.
    As for the size, I first thought of that, but then remembered you keep considering the Stinger. But also why I mentioned the ATS-V (never drove one of those myself), but if your dealer sucks, then that's a shame. I have to drive about 45 mins to get to my only good Caddy dealer.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    stickguy said:

Can always take it to Graphicguys caddy dealer!

Oh, wait...

And, leave it to @stickguy to break out the salt....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited January 2021
    I joined a Supra MkV forum and there are more than a few stories of dealers not using an oil with the correct BMW Longlife approval and/or not having the correct oil filter in stock. In one case a hapless owner waited over 90 minutes and when he asked what was going on he found out the dealer didn’t have either the proper oil or the filter. Also, the cars are often returned without resetting the Condition Based Service- so the owner gets the car back only to find that the car continues to indicate an oil change is needed.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271
    I guess you would have to verify that they have the correct oil and filter prior to going in for service
    mjfloyd1 said:

I guess you would have to verify that they have the correct oil and filter prior to going in for service

Yes, some dealers don’t care and just use whatever oil is on hand.
    Nice.

My X3 will be due for its 20k mile service soon enough.

I need to find out what the cost of that is...I believe I can pay a $100 fee to “refresh” the included maintenance into my name. We did that for my wife’s JCW, but for a 2020 with only 1,600 miles, that was a no brainer. But for the X3, it’d basically be for this one service, as it hits 3 years old in April. At least that’s how I think it all works.

breld said:

breld said:
    Maybe it’s NOT an AWD car sitting at a dealer in Denver? Or, did I miss that in the listing? I do agree.....seems like a mighty good price. Color is dubious IMHO, though.
    That was my first thought, since the listing states “440i.” But it is indeed an xdrive.

I have to keep reminding myself that just because a car is a good deal and I like it...I don’t HAVE to buy it.

That’s how we ended up with a Leaf in the driveway that my wife isn’t exactly thrilled about. :D
    My wife is starting a new job on Monday, and will be taking the Outback every day for the next couple of weeks. I'd be happy to relieve you of the Leaf, if it's clogging up your driveway.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

mjfloyd1 said:

Yes, some dealers don’t care and just use whatever oil is on hand.
    Nice.

I’m not due for service for a few months, but now I’ll make sure to be a bit more inquisitive on the oil change. Sheesh - I figured that would be the most straightforward maintenance.

Everyone here is so thoughtful with their offers of vehicle stewardship.

Now that Edmunds is affiliated with Carmax, maybe we can come up with a nationwide car-share service and use Carmax's logistics network for moving cars!
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    After we bought the Q5 I found out that the pre-paid maintenance that the original owner purchased stayed with the car. I would have thought the owner was due a pro-rated refund. We didn't have to pay any transfer fee. I have an appointment next Friday for the 45k service (though the Q5 has 41k ). The pre-paid expires in Feb so don't want to let it get away. Like so many, we have not driven much these past months. I am a little wary what the service dept will try to upsell.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav