Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I guess my first new car was my 1979 Arrow GT 2.6- purchased in 1980.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    Interesting how, in the pic, your Monte Carlo looks to me like it's a really pale silver over dark blue. Which, would have been a really nice color, itself.

What year was it, again, that they switched the two-toning so that the dark color was on top and the light on the sides? I know you mentioned it in the past, but can't remember. My Mom's '86 Monte Carlo was a 2-tone gray over silver.

I know I posted it before in the past, but here's one of the few pics I have, that has my '82 Cutlass Supreme in it, which was light Jadestone.

I had lined up all the cars I had at the time, and climbed up on the roof of my Grandmom's garage and took that pic. It would've been around February 1994.

Oh, as for new cars, I've only had two of them.
    For some reason my old 2000 Intrepid's purchase date always sticks vividly in my mind: November 6, 1999.
    My 2012 Ram was September 23, 2012. I had thought that was the date, but had to look up my records to make sure.

With all my other cars, the I can remember the month and the year, but not necessarily the exact date. With two exceptions. I bought my '68 Dart on April 3, 1992. I remember that because it was the day after my birthday. And I bought my '67 Catalina on April 20, 1994. Now that, I had to look up though. All I could remember is that I bought it on the same day as the birthday of one of my friends, and his birthday is the same day as Hitler's! :s
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031

The gal on the right, I still keep in touch with--and her husband. She turned 60 last August.

Arrgh. That makes me feel sad. Pretty young gal.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,056
    What year was it, again, that they switched the two-toning so that the dark color was on top and the light on the sides?

On Monte Carlos, that started with the '83's. I think the '83 is just a nicer car in several ways over an '81--except for that flip-flop in two-tones.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    ab348 said:

The gal on the right, I still keep in touch with--and her husband. She turned 60 last August.

Arrgh. That makes me feel sad. Pretty young gal.
    Yeah, it's scary how fast the time goes by. I saw something online today joking that when they card you for booze, they only need to see the first digit of the year. If it begins with a "1", you're 21 or over now!

I was talking with one of my younger friends the other day, about generation gaps and such. I mentioned how he might not know how to start a car with a carburetor. Without missing a beat, he asked "What's a carburetor?" :s Although, in an attempt to redeem himself, he did say he could remember when you had to "turn that thing on the door to make the window go up and down." He couldn't remember the word "window crank" :p
    edited January 2021

I was talking with one of my younger friends the other day, about generation gaps and such. I mentioned how he might not know how to start a car with a carburetor. Without missing a beat, he asked "What's a carburetor?" :s Although, in an attempt to redeem himself, he did say he could remember when you had to "turn that thing on the door to make the window go up and down." He couldn't remember the word "window crank"

I get it, but I hear stuff like that and it makes me go "D'oh!".

When I was a kid, I knew who FDR was and some other stuff from before my time. I was always sticking my nose into the "World Book" and was younger than all my cousins, so that, plus being a weird kid, might explain it all.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    Was that the "World Book" encyclopedia? My grandparents bought a set of those in the 1950's, along with the yearbooks that they put out. They're still around, packed away, somewhere. My uncle was just going to toss them, but I talked him into holding on to them. We also have a set of "The Book of Knowledge", which I think was kind of like an encyclopedia set, but geared more towards kids and teenagers? He wanted to chuck those as well, but I stopped him, and have them on my bookshelf now.

I knew the Book of Knowledge set was pretty old, so while it's in good shape I've always been reluctant to open them, in case they were getting brittle. But, I just popped one open and it's older than I thought. Copyright 1926!

One thing I didn't salvage in time, though, was Grandmom's old National Geographics. At some point, my Mom and my uncle started going through them, little by little, and throwing them out. And, they started with the oldest ones first. I used to love looking through them as a kid, and seeing the old car ads. I was able to save some of them, but they were mostly from the 80's.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    I was kind of joking, they somewhat look like fake tatts. I didn't imagine you with those though ! B)

The older you get, the faster the passage of time.

Oh, that's not me! I took the pic.

That guy sort-of glommed along for the ride. I didn't even know him all that well. He wore a hat constantly as he was already mostly-bald at early twenty-something. His first name was Leland.

Yep, the "World Book" encyclopedia. Two neighbors of ours had them, with the yearbooks, and we only had some old 1950 or so no-name encyclopedia! The yearbooks had that year's car updates in them! The World Book was written simply and illustrated well, in my memory. When I'd go to either neighbor I'd be looking at them, LOL.
    I forget how many of those yearbooks my grandparents got, but I do remember one mentioning a tornado outbreak in Connecticut in 1953. And I remember the first time I saw a '61 DeSoto was in one of them. I remember it mentioned the DeSoto being discontinued. And the pic it showed, IIRC, was from the side, so it looked fairly attractive as you couldn't see that front end. So, my grandparents at least got those yearbooks from '53 to '61!
    Oh, going back to a conversation we had a bit back, I got around to watching the 2012 remake of "Red Dawn" tonight. I honestly wasn't expecting much, but will say I rather enjoyed it. There was a handful of somewhat old cars in it, too. Early on, there's a really nice looking c1985 Delta 88 that I was almost positive was going to get destroyed, but it was spared. There was also an 80's Regal coupe. At one point a foreign soldier got flung over the hood of it during an explosion, but otherwise it was spared.

A few other cars didn't fare so well, though. There was a '68-72 Nova that got blown up with a car bomb. And at one point, there was one car (I forget which) that got blown up, and landed on the roof of a Panther woody wagon. It happened quickly enough that I couldn't tell if it was a Country Squire or Colony Park.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    edited January 2021
    When I was in fourth grade in 69, I was not a great student but not bad either. Was never a straight A student. My school was 5 blocks from home in New Orleans so I walked to school unless it was raining and mom would drive me there or pick me up. One afternoon I was walking home and turned the corner to the street we lived on, our house was the fourth on the left. What did I see? A silver 68 4dr Chevy Bel Air in our driveway. My fourth grade teacher’s car. Gulp. I shyly entered the front door to find mom and my teacher sitting in the living room having a nice conversation. My teacher was selling my parents The World Book Encyclopedia. Whew. For years my parents would buy the Year Book update and in addition the Science update. My teacher was the stereo type spinster, tough as nails good teacher. Her car was practical, full wheel covers, whitewalls, ac, cloth interior, I believe 307.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

edited January 2021
    Yesterday on I90 saw a pristine white Porsche 912E. Driver was a little old guy, my passenger said he resembled Mr. Magoo - original owner perhaps. That's the way to pass the years. Also saw a Mark VII looking sad on failed suspension, and I saw that blue Merkur again.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    My mother (a teacher) bought the World Book encyclopedia about the time I started first grade (1964). She bought a couple of the updates after that. Those weren't cheap. Likely a month's salary or more, I would guess.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited January 2021
    These downsized Caddies were not too exciting, but I did always think it was an interesting panel for the time. The steering wheel is beyond-awful, but I like the basic panel. Wish the A/C vents were still chromed, but I know that was passe by this time. I liked the leathery-looking trim piece above the glovebox. It would've been so easy to stick a bar of fake woodgrain there.

These downsized Caddies were not too exciting, but I did always think it was an interesting panel for the time. The steering wheel is beyond-awful, but I like the basic panel. Wish the A/C vents were still chromed, but I know that was passe by this time. I liked the leathery-looking trim piece above the glovebox. It would've been so easy to stick a bar of fake woodgrain there.

Ah when there was some color inside, thick carpet and soft leather. Those big early and somewhat too powerful air bags did not add a good look.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    I always thought it was a nice touch they changed the radio knobs to match the Caddy look. That radio was used in everything, but in the Caddy they made it look fancier.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I had that same stereo in my 89 Seville. It sounded pretty good (for the time). I ended up replacing it with a Panasonic AM/FM/CD which I ended up regretting as it looked out of place. CDs sounded better than cassettes however.

Was there a Caddy where the radio knobs were also woodgrain finish? I swear I remember seeing something like that.

Speaking of steering wheels, the one in the pre-airbag Allante always bugged me a bit, especially because of the buttons on one spoke - asymmetrical, which makes me twitch a little:

On the subject of large early airbag wheels, the late Allante airbag unit wasn't going to win a beauty contest either:

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    Even today, good steering wheel designs seem elusive. The recently-departed Impala had a very unattractive steering wheel, and it seemed to get copied by Hyundai with their latest Genesis.

Impala:

Genesis:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited January 2021
    That Impala wheel always caught my eye, making me think maybe GM hired an ex-MB stylist. The W221 S-class, production starting in late 2005, has a very similar wheel:

The gap in time is enough to make me think it wasn't even a copycat job, almost like it was just how someone designed it, but the similarity is hard to ignore.

Rolls-Royce wheels always amused me, too. This existed until 1989/90!

And the airbag wheel that replaced it wasn't a looker:

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685

That airbag looks like it has a case of “ArmorAll-itis”
    edited January 2021
    I should look to see what the wheel on this panel looked like pre-advent of airbags. This panel would've started with the first FWD cars in mid-'84.

I hate the digital instrumentation option in them.

The Allante--I liked the exterior, hated the interior.

The Rolls-Royce--the panel is so blah, and the earlier steering wheel, and shift quadrant up on the column, make me think 'Checker'. Just as bad, the panel makes me think of the very last Avantis made in Youngstown, OH up through 1990--the flat face of the panel, and the looks of the woodgrain.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited January 2021
    Here's an older instrument panel to compare. Color? We've got color.
    I love the styling of this car, subdued relative to 1959 (Buick) design.

I saw this car after it did a road cruise in N. Ky in early November--chilly.
    For the record, This is an Invicta, the middle line. The convertibles were also availabe in
    the leSabre line and then the longer Electra line for that year. Three
    different convertibles.

I don't remember ever seeing one driven back then.
    My high school buddy's parents had a 1960 sedan. I don't recall that his mother
    ever let him drive it when we went out "scouting."

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

That's one thing that was cool about the old days. Not only could you get a convertible, but they had a wide range of them.

I thought it was a shame that the Electra/Ninety-Eight/DeVille lost their convertibles for '71. Convertible sales in general were dropping by then, but interestingly, in the Buick line, for '70, the Electra convertible outsold the LeSabre and the Wildcat convertibles combined! Sales were pretty low though: 2487 for the LeSabre, 1244 for the Wildcat, and 6045 for the Electra. In the Olds range, the Ninety-Eight led the Delta 88, but the margin was much slimmer: 3161 Ninety-Eights versus 3095 Delta 88s. The DeVille moved 15,172 units.

Just to round out the GM big car lineup, the Impala convertible sold 9562 units, while Pontiac sold 5436 Catalinas and 5438 Bonnevilles. So it seemed like while convertible sales were trending downward, the more expensive, luxurious models for the most part, tended to hold their popularity a bit better.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    @imidazol97 is that the old K-Mart parking lot on Dixie Hwy?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    edited January 2021
    Speaking of big old GM convertibles, saw one of these yesterday in my neighborhood:

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    an oddball. A big Chrysler (I guess 80s?) of Andre69 vintage. 4 door, with the rectangle headlights with eyebrows. Rare enough, but this one (white paint) had a red 1/2 vinyl carriage roof, and a continental kit spare tire on the back. For a minute, I thought I had been transported to Florida.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    fintail said:

Was there a Caddy where the radio knobs were also woodgrain finish? I swear I remember seeing something like that.

Speaking of steering wheels, the one in the pre-airbag Allante always bugged me a bit, especially because of the buttons on one spoke - asymmetrical, which makes me twitch a little:

On the subject of large early airbag wheels, the late Allante airbag unit wasn't going to win a beauty contest either:

Yes the late 70s/early 80s Caddy’s had wood grain radio knobs.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Sounds like a 5th Avenue, but with some kind of aftermarket Continental kit?

Here's an ad for one that was for sale on Hemmings.

The M-body came out in mid-1977, as a luxurious spinoff of the Aspen/Volare. It was much better built, though, and when equipped the right way, was downright luxurious. Initially it was sold as the Dodge Diplomat and Chrysler LeBaron. In 1980 they were squared off a bit and made more formal. Chrysler axed the bigger R-body models after 1981. For 1982, they moved the LeBaron name to an upscale version of the K-car, and renamed what had been the LeBaron, as New Yorker. If you wanted a 5th Avenue, it was a trim package.

For 1983, they came out with a version of the K-car with a 3" stretch to the wheelbase, and moved the New Yorker nameplate to that, so now the big one was called "New Yorker Fifth Avenue". Then for '84-89, they called it just "Fifth Avenue".

The Fifth Avenue was a fairly popular car for awhile. It outsold the K-based version from 1984-87, although in '88, the small FWD version was redesigned, a bit larger and a lot more upscale looking, and by that time the M-body was showing its age and sales were finally starting to fall off.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    yup. that looks like it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

RE.: That '68 Wildcat...I really liked those Buicks inside and out EXCEPT for that damn thing at the bottom of the front fender!

RE.: That '68 Wildcat...I really liked those Buicks inside and out EXCEPT for that damn thing at the bottom of the front fender!

What a shock :p

I do like them, but I always thought the big '68 Buicks looked like they were going through a bit of an identity crisis. The sheetmetal says "Buick", especially that trademark swoopy spear-crease on the side. But up front, I swear there's an Oldsmobile trying to get out!

edited January 2021
    The Buick and Olds (combined) dealer in my hometown was so small, it had every car, new and used, stored inside in their medium-sized building overnight. During the day they'd have two or three nice used cars out front.

They really did have the nicest used cars in town. They had a reputation for not dealing, and three or four-year-old Buicks and Oldsmobiles looked like new cars there.

I remember a used, champagne-colored '68 Wildcat two-door hardtop. Can't remember the cost, but I was a fan of the GM fastback coupes (Bonneville, Wildcat, Delta Custom) of those '67-68 years with the big fastback roof, but with the luxury interiors. I liked them better than the Electra 225 and Ninety-Eight because at least where I lived, you saw the cars less-frequently. I liked the combo of fastback and luxury interior, which as you know almost completely went away at GM in the seventies.

I know there used to be different levels of Wildcats in and around that time, even though there was only "Wildcat" badging on them, but the car I remembered had a notchback front seat with center armrest. The car looked nice (other than the lower front fender!).

Funny that the '66 and '67 big Buicks had about the same instrument panel although different sheetmetal outside and the '68 was a one-year-only instrument panel although shared exterior sheetmetal with the '67.

I liked that big sweep down the side of the '67 and '68 Buicks, but I really didn't care much for the '68 and '69 Skylark models, even though they had it. I think they were my least-favorite styling of all four of the midsize cars from GM those years.
    edited January 2021
    That must be it. My dad knew a guy who had a maybe 79 Fleetwood, I remember riding in it (kind of a pale yellow with matching leather interior, felt like being on a cloud), and a good family friend had a pretty blue on grey or blue leather 79-85 Eldo (probably an earlier car) that I rode in many times. I associate the George Benson song "Give Me The Night" with the Eldo, as I recall hearing it in the car more than once, the owner must have had it on tape.

tjc78 said:

Yes the late 70s/early 80s Caddy’s had wood grain radio knobs.

Here's a pre-airbag wheel, 85 DeVille. I believe a corporate unit also used in the Fleetwood, and I suspect the rim was used in other cars - my grandma had an Olds with the same small inlaid rim wheel:

I too think the Allante looks good, and I too dislike the interior. I still recall when those debuted, as I kept up with cars when I was a kid, and always had a magazine subscription (for a long time, Autoweek, as I liked getting something weekly). Even when I was 10, I knew competing with the SL was a crazy idea.

For the Rolls-Royce, I've always had a funny idea that they were just doing it to be quirky. or extremely traditional, but not always in a good way. On the other side, MB had very modern looking wheels and dashboards in the 70s.

I should look to see what the wheel on this panel looked like pre-advent of airbags. This panel would've started with the first FWD cars in mid-'84.

I hate the digital instrumentation option in them.

The Allante--I liked the exterior, hated the interior.

The Rolls-Royce--the panel is so blah, and the earlier steering wheel, and shift quadrant up on the column, make me think 'Checker'. Just as bad, the panel makes me think of the very last Avantis made in Youngstown, OH up through 1990--the flat face of the panel, and the looks of the woodgrain.

Good color interior on that Caddy....I love the buttery look of soft leather but I hate how it ages.
    edited January 2021
    kyfdx said:

@imidazol97 is that the old K-Mart parking lot on Dixie Hwy?

Yes, good eye. LOL

That one car made my trip worthwhile. There were a couple of others there that were gems. Small gathering in chilly November when most cruise-ins were done.

andre1969 said:

How is the Desoto coming along?
    I love that car and the taillights in the giant fins.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    Maybe uplanderguy has seen this car.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X2tQzwzdnQ
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Over the weekend a fairly clean Isuzu Axiom in a light silverish color. It was keeping up with the flow on I-85.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    sda said:

Over the weekend a fairly clean Isuzu Axiom in a light silverish color. It was keeping up with the flow on I-85.

Isuzu's last gap in the US market. I remember seeing that at the Denver Auto Show, all those years ago.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I have indeed seen that Studebaker and I know (somewhat) the owner, who is the original owner!

It's a supercharged R3 engine, and it routinely spanks cars that people would have a hard time believing, at the Pure Stock Musclecar Drags in Michigan. I remember one year somebody who would've been scheduled to go up against the car wouldn't, as was overheard, "I'm not losing to a Studebaker", LOL.

The friend of the owner drives the car here. He is in his early eighties (!) and is a retired high school shop teacher.
    edited January 2021
    Click on this (safe) link to read about Brown Bros. Cadillac in Louisville, which is closing after 75 years, taking Cadillac's recent buyout offer rather than revamp to electric vehicles. I've never seen another showroom like it:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/38775/historic-cadillac-dealership-in-kentucky-closing-suddenly-after-75-years?xid=fbshare&fbclid=IwAR35UpEpi-ohNZs7i71Tj0fI7jZ9aSEb19m9LgAa9uKVMoIXrIpmokfE3YM

Maybe another brand can take it over. Seems like a shortsighted move, if the dealer was actually doing well to this point. Hopefully the place won't be gutted anyway.

I would have expected a more modern theme for the age of the dealer (like "Casa de Cadillac" in Sherman Oaks), but Kentucky might do things like the old south.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762

I have indeed seen that Studebaker and I know (somewhat) the owner, who is the original owner!

It's a supercharged R3 engine, and it routinely spanks cars that people would have a hard time believing, at the Pure Stock Musclecar Drags in Michigan. I remember one year somebody who would've been scheduled to go up against the car wouldn't, as was overheard, "I'm not losing to a Studebaker", LOL.

The friend of the owner drives the car here. He is in his early eighties (!) and is a retired high school shop teacher.

Whew! A 12.71. That's a beast of an old Stude.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited January 2021
    Although there's a guy who posted somewhere that only the appearance has to be original in the Pure Stock Musclecar Drags, that is not true. This guy has entered this Stude for something like twenty years in row. Your car goes through an inspection and anything the inspectors think is suspect needs to be verified by you, the owner, through factory documentation.

The owner of the Stude calls it "The Plain Brown Wrapper", LOL.
    edited January 2021
    From a South Bend Facebook page. '65 Galaxie 500 in front (nice-looking Ford I always thought), and a '62 Lark full of nuns behind it. At least the nuns bought local!

To be fair, by '65 only Corporate was still in South Bend for Studebaker, and I can imagine a lot of local people were angry that production was no longer local. Avanti II was just getting ramped up in '65 there though.

How is the Desoto coming along?
    I love that car and the taillights in the giant fins.

I haven't really done much with it, since I got it back from the mechanic in late 2018. Here's a pic I took of it in early 2020...

It actually looks worse now, than it did in that 1994 pic, because I had some body work done but didn't get it repainted. Although to be fair, that 1994 pic isn't the highest-resolution in the world, so it's hiding some flaws!