Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    so when you ran the numbers, it ended up making more sense to go new instead of pre owned? I guess you are getting the new design too, so that is a plus.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

Local Subaru dealer changed the oil in the Outback last weekend. Today? Puddle of oil on the floor of the garage under it.

I’m not clear when it started because I was in the hospital for a couple days (I’m fine now). On the upshot, it is nice and clean oil...

Could only be the drain plug or the oil filter, right? Good thing you caught it early and not when the bearings started spinning.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,255
    edited January 2021
    @stickguy,
    After driving some of the pre-owned prior generation, they just seemed too 'heavy'.
    This one seems much more nimble, plus has RWD feel.
    This was the most expensive XLT around, but it had all the features I was looking for on that model.
    Next model up, Limited has some other feature I would have liked, but is way more expensive.
    Since we pay property tax, a loaded XLT is a lot cheaper tax wise that a Limited or higher.
    A base XLT is about 39k, Limited is just over 50k.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333

Local Subaru dealer changed the oil in the Outback last weekend. Today? Puddle of oil on the floor of the garage under it.

I’m not clear when it started because I was in the hospital for a couple days (I’m fine now). On the upshot, it is nice and clean oil...

Could only be the drain plug or the oil filter, right? Good thing you caught it early and not when the bearings started spinning.
    That’s what I’m thinking. Oil filter is underneath so it could be either.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852

@stickguy,
    After driving some of the pre-owned prior generation, they just seemed too 'heavy'.
    This one seems much more nimble, plus has RWD feel.
    This was the most expensive XLT around, but it had all the features I was looking for on that model.
    Next model up, Limited has some other feature I would have liked, but is way more expensive.
    Since we pay property tax, a loaded XLT is a lot cheaper tax wise that a Limited or higher.
    A base XLT is about 39k, Limited is just over 50k.

Very nicely equipped. I love that the wheels aren’t black!!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090

@Michaell,
    This is our sixth Explorer, at one point my wife and I each drove one.
    She bought one of the first 4 door versions, Strawberry Red, 4x4, V6, 5 speed stick.
    I think I have to change my email in order to change my 'Handle'.
    Yes it has the 2.3T(wife has same in her MKC) with the 10 speed trans.
    Here's link to the dealer listing if anyone is interested.
    https://www.lombardford.com/new-Barkhamsted-2020-Ford-Explorer-XLT+++4WD-1FMSK8DH3LGC85169

The EPA rating for mileage is the same as our 2015 Outback with the H6. I’m guessing the 10-speed auto contributes to that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    @28firefighter glad you're okay now!
    @Michaell,
    10 speed is great, it isn't sequential, goes into whatever gear it thinks it needs.
    My previous F-150 had it, too.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499

Oil filter is underneath so it could be either.

Must be a "feature" of the bigger engine. I'm very pleased to have the Forester oil filter right on top, and as an additional bonus, it's the same filter my TSX uses.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    No punches for me, but some interesting news and notes. A friend of mine has a kid who started his own landscaping business last year. Just got his license. He saved up money from cutting grass, officiating hockey, & they contributed as well. They started out looking at used pickups, then asked me about leasing, they ended up finding a 2011 F150 Lariat with the 6.2L V8 locally with under 90,000 miles.

My sister finally got her Mercedes back last week. The total repair bill was north of $22,000. The car was completely drivable away from the scene of the accident.

My best friend who just a few short months ago bought a used Raptor to daily drive also has a 2015 Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock 6MT & a 2020 Grand Cherokee Summit just bought (with his friend/business partner) a 2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) with 60K miles and a 6 Speed for $12K.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    "A friend of mine has a kid who started his own landscaping business last year. Just got his license. He saved up money from cutting grass, officiating hockey, & they contributed as well. They started out looking at used pickups, then asked me about leasing, they ended up finding a 2011 F150 Lariat with the 6.2L V8 locally with under 90,000 miles."

Good for the boy. . .and his parents. Maybe there's hope after all.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Now that both oil leaks are history, used dawn and a squeegy broom to clean the garage floor on Thursday. Did an amazing job of getting rid of old stains to after I let it sit awhile. Was able to really scrub the floor with the broom end which really helped get the deep down dirt out. Hopefully both vehicles stay leak free for at least a couple of years as we're both just not ready to new car shop yet.
    Also finally got on the horn with Genie company to get directions to sync the newer garage door opener I got. Was super simple and once I gave the operator the model number, she walked me through it in under four minutes. Want to give my old opener to our kid who lives in Miami so she can come & go when she visits. Also easier than taking one of ours when we use her vehicle to do anything. Our belt driven unit is still working great and is almost whisper quiet. Now, need to get the outside keypad fixed as it quit working at all. Always something when owning a house it seems!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

check the battery. Most of them use a 9 volt.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    No, it's not the battery as we've all tried that...both of us and two of the kids. And it takes a AA battery. Luckily all the hand held units all work so the middle child will get the extra one since she lives the closest. One thing I forgot to ask the agent when I called is why, every time the power goes out, I have to get up and play with the plug? With both vehicles parked inside, I can just get the ladder in between and climb up it to take the plug out and re-insert it. The unit isn't exactly in the middle of the garage either, off a degree or two, but since I'm not overweight, I can just fit in and get it done. The worst is when it happens overnight and I'm leaving for work and I hit the button and ...nothing! I'm not a happy camper, let's just put it that way!!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    nyccarguy said:

No punches for me, but some interesting news and notes. A friend of mine has a kid who started his own landscaping business last year. Just got his license. He saved up money from cutting grass, officiating hockey, & they contributed as well. They started out looking at used pickups, then asked me about leasing, they ended up finding a 2011 F150 Lariat with the 6.2L V8 locally with under 90,000 miles.

My sister finally got her Mercedes back last week. The total repair bill was north of $22,000. The car was completely drivable away from the scene of the accident.

My best friend who just a few short months ago bought a used Raptor to daily drive also has a 2015 Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock 6MT & a 2020 Grand Cherokee Summit just bought (with his friend/business partner) a 2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) with 60K miles and a 6 Speed for $12K.

That is an impressive find.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

nyccarguy said:

I didn’t even know Ford made a 6.2L. Should move out pretty good as some versions put out 500hp. Good to have when towing an equipment trailer.

I’m glad your sister is ok. What were the circumstances of the accident?

So your friend likes Jeeps or goes off-roading a lot?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

The 6.2 puts out about 411 HP, but going to use a lot of gas. It's pretty rare in an F-150.

@Sandman5472,
    Can you just try flipping the breaker instead of unplugging the opener?
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

I’d nab that in a nanosecond. The only thing I’d take over a Wrangler is a Defender 90.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I would take that Jeep too.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    They could flip that Jeep for a profit TODAY.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

"A friend of mine has a kid who started his own landscaping business last year. Just got his license. He saved up money from cutting grass, officiating hockey, & they contributed as well. They started out looking at used pickups, then asked me about leasing, they ended up finding a 2011 F150 Lariat with the 6.2L V8 locally with under 90,000 miles."

Good for the boy. . .and his parents. Maybe there's hope after all.

I agree. It’s quite impressive. The kid is also on his way to becoming the 3rd generation Eagle Scout. His Dad is an Eagle Scout and was recently named troop leader. His grandfather who died 5 years ago was also an Eagle Scout.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

Indeed. The guy they bought it from was a landscaper. He worked for these people who owned farmland in Upstate New York. The owners bought it to use at their vacation home, and rarely ever drove it off their property. They put it in the back of a barn and it sat for years. He asked them if he could buy it for his son as a 1st car. He bought it. The son drove it, but never liked driving stick. The kid went to college in a place where you don’t need a car, then graduated and lived/worked in the city. The Jeep sat for a long time, being driven occasionally. The kid is in his mid 20s now and has moved out of the city. He needs a car and really doesn’t like driving stick. So his Dad put the Jeep up for sale and said he give the kid the money.

My friend’s business partner literally saw this out of the corner of his eye on the front lawn. Starts right up. Runs & Drives.

au1994 said:

They could flip that Jeep for a profit TODAY.

They know. Both of them are into Wranglers.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Explorer....big congrats on the new Explorer. It’s red. My favorite color. That makes it great in my book.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

Now that both oil leaks are history, used dawn and a squeegy broom to clean the garage floor on Thursday. Did an amazing job of getting rid of old stains to after I let it sit awhile. Was able to really scrub the floor with the broom end which really helped get the deep down dirt out. Hopefully both vehicles stay leak free for at least a couple of years as we're both just not ready to new car shop yet.
    Also finally got on the horn with Genie company to get directions to sync the newer garage door opener I got. Was super simple and once I gave the operator the model number, she walked me through it in under four minutes. Want to give my old opener to our kid who lives in Miami so she can come & go when she visits. Also easier than taking one of ours when we use her vehicle to do anything. Our belt driven unit is still working great and is almost whisper quiet. Now, need to get the outside keypad fixed as it quit working at all. Always something when owning a house it seems!

I don’t usually put any leaky cars in my garage but when I want to keep track of oil leaks I just put an old piece of cardboard under the engine, transmission or radiator (whichever is suspect). Makes it easier to track what is leaking and keeps the floor clean.

I really like the color combo on this XC60.
    I love that color combo too. My wife would have the paint color though. Nice car. I like that model. Seems like a good deal too for the year and miles.

not a car, but after some looking and research, got the wife (well, ordered) a new laptop to replace the 11 YO macbook she inherited from our daughter 6 years ago. Never did like it, or know how to use it, and at this point doesn't even update.

ended up with her deciding she wanted a bigger screen, so got a 15.6. And she thought the touchscreen was cool, so on the list.

and just like with cars, scope creep crept in. Turned into a Lenovo with extra capacity (12 gig RAM and 256 SSD) and a bit of an upgraded processor. Total overkill for her, but she liked the way it looked, and if she doesn't want it, I'll be happy to take it since it's a lot nicer than the old one I use!

slight chance that my next car might becoming from within the family. My daughter is cooking up a scheme to move to beantown to move in with her college roomie (downtown someplace). If it happens, she won't have parking so was figuring on getting rid of her car. Depending on all the factors, might make more sense for me to just take it off her hands instead. But, a lot has to happen to get from here to there.

would not be a bad idea. It is a nice car.

corvette said:

I really like the color combo on this XC60.

They call the color simply brown, unlike most places that would call it something like ‘root beer float premium’. I like the white interior leather.

@stickguy,
    You don't want to own a car in Boston unless you are making a LOT of money..
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    IMO you don’t want to drive in Boston unless you need to. Cost aside.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    @stickguy, Your daughter has a Jetta R-type if I recall? How does she like it? My BIL has a 2020 Jetta SE as his company car that replaced his 2018 Jetta SEL. He really likes his current Jetta though he misses the adaptive cruise control from the 18. He visited us this weekend and it was parked next to the TL. They are both the same size!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    edited January 2021
    stickguy said:

slight chance that my next car might becoming from within the family. My daughter is cooking up a scheme to move to beantown to move in with her college roomie (downtown someplace). If it happens, she won't have parking so was figuring on getting rid of her car. Depending on all the factors, might make more sense for me to just take it off her hands instead. But, a lot has to happen to get from here to there.

Well you’ve cleaned and maintained it, so may as well own it.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

@28firefighter,
    You will have a tough time finding a place to keep your car, never mind driving it.
    sda said:

@stickguy, Your daughter has a Jetta R-type if I recall? How does she like it? My BIL has a 2020 Jetta SE as his company car that replaced his 2018 Jetta SEL. He really likes his current Jetta though he misses the adaptive cruise control from the 18. He visited us this weekend and it was parked next to the TL. They are both the same size!

yes, a 2019 R line in white Silver ( a darker grayish white. very nice looking). She likes it. Been a good car, but it did just crack 40K miles (in 2.5 years), thanks to time spent doing a 90 mile/day commute. Not accumulating nearly as fast now. So 3.5 years/32K miles left on the warranty. Going to hurt sale price (maybe the high used values hold up?) but works out for me given how little I drive. I am curious what Carvana, etc. would hit it at. Good thing for her is she has it almost fully paid off so will get a nice chunk of change out of it.

I believe the apartment (and intended one to move to) is more downtown, not out in a fringe neighborhood, so having a car is going to be a non starter. and really makes little sense to keep owning it and keeping it here, or finding someplace outside the city (we have some friends out in the burbs) to park it for extended periods. Will just be an urbanite, and mostly public transit or Uber, and on the occasion she needs to get someplace that requires driving, zipcar is available.

all speculation at this point. She was talking to her friend up there today cooking all this up, but will have to deal with the pesky job situation somehow. But at least she is excited about it!

and if she does go, that takes our last tie to the area out of play, so the likelihood of us moving somewhere between Saratoga and New Hampshire goes way up. Mom can't be that far from her baby!

tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

Well you’ve cleaned and maintained it, so may as well own it.
    so true. for what she could sell it for, would likely be a no question good deal. Could always dump it down the line no harm, no foul if I bought it wholesale!

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090
    stickguy said:

not a car, but after some looking and research, got the wife (well, ordered) a new laptop to replace the 11 YO macbook she inherited from our daughter 6 years ago. Never did like it, or know how to use it, and at this point doesn't even update.

ended up with her deciding she wanted a bigger screen, so got a 15.6. And she thought the touchscreen was cool, so on the list.

and just like with cars, scope creep crept in. Turned into a Lenovo with extra capacity (12 gig RAM and 256 SSD) and a bit of an upgraded processor. Total overkill for her, but she liked the way it looked, and if she doesn't want it, I'll be happy to take it since it's a lot nicer than the old one I use!

I got a new computer recently, as well, to replace the 7 year old laptop I bought when I became a moderator here.

Well, not new to me, exactly.

When we started up the cooking studio, we bought a new Dell laptop to run all the software. My daughter picked it out, and she went pretty much top of the line. 17” screen, lots of RAM, etc.

When we had to shut down in November, it got left at the studio and wasn’t booted up for over a month. When we did, windows asked for the encryption passcode, which nobody had. So, for $300, I had a 256GB SSD installed, and I took it. The girls bought a new MacBook, since they are more familiar with that OS.

Everybody is happy.

And, since most of the work is done in the cloud, there wasn’t much data that was lost.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

my daughter was cleaning up her old macbook yesterday and after almost 7 years, had hardly anything on it to worry about, since she had pretty much got everything saved in a cloud already. Google docs, pictures (maybe google too?) so really not much left.

sda said:

My BIL has a 2020 Jetta SE as his company car that replaced his 2018 Jetta SEL.

SEL to SE? Did he get demoted or something? :)
    Michaell said:

So, for $300, I had a 256GB SSD installed, and I took it. The girls bought a new MacBook, since they are more familiar with that OS.

Very big fan of SSDs. I don't think most OSes have been properly optimized for spinning platter hard drives for many years now. The initial release of Windows 8 worked really well with them, but I think that the inevitable bug fixes and security patches don't receive the same optimization as a new OS release.

The laptop I use to remote in to the office and to sync my phone, store photos and documents, etc., is an i3 which is over four years old. It was mediocre to below-average when I bought it (but was the cheapest thing available with a backlit keyboard, which was a requirement). I replaced the HD with an SSD, and it instantly became a very good machine (and still is!).
    edited January 2021
    I'm having trouble with an SSD all-in-one desktop. I thought it was an OS problem, but after countless attempts at getting it to behave, I finally DOWNGRADED from Win 10 to Win 8 Pro. Worked OK for maybe 2 weeks and then started carrying on again. It will claim that it can't find a bootable drive.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    corvette said:

sda said:

My BIL has a 2020 Jetta SE as his company car that replaced his 2018 Jetta SEL.

SEL to SE? Did he get demoted or something? :)
    Not sure why the SEL to SE change. I think the company did that for all replacements. He has been with the company for about 2 years, sales oriented, and came in as the #3 top producer in the country last year. As a huge plus he loves his job.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    qbrozen said:

I'm having trouble with an SSD all-in-one desktop. I thought it was an OS problem, but after countless attempts at getting it to behave, I finally DOWNGRADED from Win 10 to Win 8 Pro. Worked OK for maybe 2 weeks and then started carrying on again. It will claim that it can't find a bootable drive.

SSD issues are not uncommon at all. The advantage of the SSD is speed; the disadvantage is lifespan. It's a good idea to get a new drive to replace this one, and swap out your data ASAP.

My son said that one of his Western Digital hard disk drives indicates that it has over ten years of run time on it (the drive itself is over fifteen years old). SSDs simply will not last like that as a computer's primary boot drive (unless you never turn it on!).

You can get SSDs with longer read/write cycle life; you just have to pay more for them (a lot more, for archival quality units).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I've been fortunate not to run into longevity issues with them. We had two 2011 base model MacBook Airs in my family. They were both retired in the last year due to no longer being officially supported with OS security updates, and they had no SSD issues.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    I have a 2014 Macbook Pro that I'd like to replace with a new Macbook Air, but there's really nothing wrong with the performance of the Pro. It has held up much nicer than my previous Pro (which had a traditional hard disk drive, FWIW). And, these days the laptop isn't used for much more than a portal to the cloud, whereas my previous laptop had gigs of music, movies and software on it.

I did recently purchase a new iPad Air with the cool "magic" keyboard. I had a couple old iPad Minis and an iPhone X laying around and received trade value on those to just about cover the new iPad.

I love the new iPad and it replaces 99% of the functionality of the Macbook anyway. In fact, just about the only time I pull out the laptop is to use Quicken, which still relies on the software for full functionality.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    stickguy said:

YOGA? Sounds a lot like the one I got about 6 months ago. Pretty nice machines.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    I have had two spinny conventional hard drives fail. I currently have 5 devices with SSDs and have never had one of those fail.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

xwesx said:

qbrozen said:

SSD issues are not uncommon at all. The advantage of the SSD is speed; the disadvantage is lifespan. It's a good idea to get a new drive to replace this one, and swap out your data ASAP.

My son said that one of his Western Digital hard disk drives indicates that it has over ten years of run time on it (the drive itself is over fifteen years old). SSDs simply will not last like that as a computer's primary boot drive (unless you never turn it on!).

You can get SSDs with longer read/write cycle life; you just have to pay more for them (a lot more, for archival quality units).
    Thanks for the tip. I just pulled the old drive and ordered a replacement 480gb until from Amazon for less than $50 coming tomorrow. The machine is new to me, but it was a refurb unit I bought from ... geez.... I don't even recall. I think Overstock.

venture said:

stickguy said:

YOGA? Sounds a lot like the one I got about 6 months ago. Pretty nice machines.
    same here. Got one for our basement studio, figuring it would be nice to hook up to the TV and do video calls. Wife complained the wi-fi on it is too slow, even after I got an external adapter. My son is now using it instead of the school-provided Chromebook, and it is WAY BETTER than that one.