Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Yes, it’s pretty literal at this point.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Michaell said:

ab348 said:

Typical restaurant margins wouldn't come close to supporting a 30% hit. Sure you're not paying servers but you have to pay someone to get the product to the deliverer, Sure you're not washing dishes and linens but you have to pay for all the take out packaging.

If that's true then why would they sign up with these outfits in the first place then?
    Desperation.

I’d like to hear Mitchaell’s take on this as he used to deliver pizzas. He should know the relative costs of delivery vs take out.
    Costs? To the store or the customer?

The only difference with delivery is that we added a $2 delivery surcharge, half of which went to the driver. Then, there was whatever tip the customer gave us.

To the store, the $1 given to the driver. From a payroll perspective, there was a change during my tenure. Initially, we got $5/hr all the time. Then, it switched to a lower rate when we were out of the store doing delivery, and the state mandated minimum wage when we were in the store. My paycheck was never really all that large; it was the tips I took home each night that made the job worth it.

I have detailed records of all my tips that I earned. Over 6.5 years, I averaged $11.55/hr in tips alone.
    Pizza is a bit different. Large volume of take-out orders and most of the delivery cost is built into the price of the pizza. Also, pizza is an extremely profitable item. When they charge $2 delivery charge all of that should go to the delivery person, why should they make anything on the delivery part? If a restaurants business always had a large take-out component than they could do even better during covid...they are set up for these times. Now, what if a pizza place had to pay a delivery service 30% of the price of the pizza....even they would have a hard time making a profit? Instead they get 100% of the price plus $1!
    Once again you surprise me, then again maybe not. Why should a pizza shop owner give a buck of his delivery charge to the driver. It’s his store and he’s in business to make as much as he can. If his prices are more than his competitors he either lowers his price or goes away. Cheapening his product will hasten his departure. Of course charging a little more for quality can keep him in business and I get my pizzas from a shop that is a little more than the run of the mill shops in my area but I know it’s worth it to me.

Years ago I kidded with guy I knew who had a smallish menswear shop about why he didn’t have as many sales as his competitors? His answer was he priced his clothing right which was proven by the business he did. He then relayed to me what his father (who started the biz) said to him, “you don’t give away what you can sell”. That sounded logical to me. You as a past business owner should know this.

jmonroe

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162
    edited January 2021
    jmonroe1 said:

Once again you surprise me, then again maybe not. Why should a pizza shop owner give a buck of his delivery charge to the driver. It’s his store and he’s in business to make as much as he can.

He can do whatever he wants, as long as it's set before and everybody (pizza delivery guy and the customer) has understanding that "delivery charge" doesn't actually pay for the delivery, or to be precise, the delivery person is on customer's mercy to eat that night. However, I have a hard time accepting larger reality in which businesses call themselves "employers", yet they actually DO NOT PAY the people they allegedly "employ" and make the customer directly responsible for the fair compensation.

I've always had a problem with tipping as it's done in the US. I call it a price scam, or to be more charitable - restaurant version of a doc fee. You're telling me your price for the meal is 10 bucks, or for this room is 100 bucks, or for whatever. But wait - it doesn't actually include person taking the order and delivering it to the table, or the cleaning lady to come and wipe the room? And again, how does that make you "employer" of these people? To me tip should be something "on top" for making me superhappy, not something that's a person's wage. I should not need to know that the way you compensate or apparently not compensate your people. To me it's ridiculous - a price should be a price. I know things are different, so I obligue and pay my "voluntary" tip, but it actually pisses me off - I'd rather be told the meal is 12 bucks, not phoney 10 and then leave me alone, don't make me directly responsible for this poor waiter's kid's college fund.

BTW, what pisses me off more and more is the inflation of the tipping. Somehow it went from 15 percent before tax to 20--25 percent after tax and somehow places that you order at the counter, pick up your own food, put the tray away yourself, still have tip prompt at their registers BEFORE you even start eating. Including one of the Domino's stores on a pizza store pickup. Seems like corporations are trying to shed their responsibility from paying people to perhaps zero, if they only could. Places will become soon some wage hunting grounds. Service "doc fees" are now everywhere ...

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Michaell said:

ab348 said:

Typical restaurant margins wouldn't come close to supporting a 30% hit. Sure you're not paying servers but you have to pay someone to get the product to the deliverer, Sure you're not washing dishes and linens but you have to pay for all the take out packaging.

If that's true then why would they sign up with these outfits in the first place then?
    Desperation.

I’d like to hear Mitchaell’s take on this as he used to deliver pizzas. He should know the relative costs of delivery vs take out.

The only difference with delivery is that we added a $2 delivery surcharge, half of which went to the driver. Then, there was whatever tip the customer gave us.

To the store, the $1 given to the driver. From a payroll perspective, there was a change during my tenure. Initially, we got $5/hr all the time. Then, it switched to a lower rate when we were out of the store doing delivery, and the state mandated minimum wage when we were in the store. My paycheck was never really all that large; it was the tips I took home each night that made the job worth it.

I have detailed records of all my tips that I earned. Over 6.5 years, I averaged $11.55/hr in tips alone.
    Pizza is a bit different. Large volume of take-out orders and most of the delivery cost is built into the price of the pizza. Also, pizza is an extremely profitable item. When they charge $2 delivery charge all of that should go to the delivery person, why should they make anything on the delivery part? If a restaurants business always had a large take-out component than they could do even better during covid...they are set up for these times. Now, what if a pizza place had to pay a delivery service 30% of the price of the pizza....even they would have a hard time making a profit? Instead they get 100% of the price plus $1!
    Once again you surprise me, then again maybe not. Why should a pizza shop owner give a buck of his delivery charge to the driver. It’s his store and he’s in business to make as much as he can. If his prices are more than his competitors he either lowers his price or goes away. Cheapening his product will hasten his departure. Of course charging a little more for quality can keep him in business and I get my pizzas from a shop that is a little more than the run of the mill shops in my area but I know it’s worth it to me.

Years ago I kidded with guy I knew who had a smallish menswear shop about why he didn’t have as many sales as his competitors? His answer was he priced his clothing right which was proven by the business he did. He then relayed to me what his father (who started the biz) said to him, “you don’t give away what you can sell”. That sounded logical to me. You as a past business owner should know this.

jmonroe
    If the pizza costs $20 the store charges $20 plus a $2 delivery charge........the full $2 should go to the delivery guy. The store made it's money from the pizza, the delivery charge is not an expense for them. The driver could theoretically not get any tips, deliver 10 pizzas and make $10 which wouldn't cover the cost of gas. $20 would at least be closer....and why should a delivery person have to depend on tips to make a living? Only you would see that as fair.

The mens wear shop made a decision....either you charge full price and your customer is willing to pay that to get extra quality and service, or you discount and do it on volume. Both make sense, just depends on what market you are aiming for.
    I held off getting back to you on this because I wanted to talk to a pizza delivery guy I know very well...Grandson #1. OK, here I go:

Oh wait, before I get into this I’ll repeat what I said before, “the shop owner is in biz to make money”. If he wants to share some of the delivery charge with his drivers that’s up to him. The driver doesn’t have to take the job if he feels he’s being cheated.

My Grandson worked at a pizza shop during his last year in high school. He’s now a college freshman but because of the COVID stuff he’s doing on-line classes from home so he stayed on with the pizza shop for a few months. Then he got the bright idea to try the Doordash thing. He gave notice to the pizza shop and off he went. He liked the idea that he could work whenever he felt like it and not be committed to the pizza shop for scheduled hours. It turned out the grass wasn’t greener. He was having to drive much further to make deliveries than at the pizza shop. On top of that he saw the trend where the legitimate restaurants charged more to start with than a pizza shop then they tacked on the delivery fee. And because of that too many people felt that a nice tip was not necessary. Even as a kid he knew he was being taken advantage of so back to the pizza shop he went. Now gets minimum wage just like before but since they liked him they bumped him up 35cents an hour. This shop charges $1.50 delivery charge but he gets to keep all of it plus all of his tips. They don’t throw all of the tip money into a pot and then split it at the end of the day between the drivers. Other shops in the area do the pot sharing thing and most charge at least 3 bucks for delivery and the driver only gets a buck of that. Why, because I guess they can get away with doing it that way. My Grandson says he wouldn’t work at those shops because of the sharing thing and getting only a buck from the delivery charge. So far he’s satisfied.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Depending on minimum wage, that’s not bad. Say $10 base, and assuming 3 deliveries/hour another $4.50. So even cheap tips another $5? If he can average about $20/hour for a part time during school job, even with some gas cost (shouldn’t be too bad since most pizza delivery is likely close to the store) that’s not bad

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,063
    stickguy said:

Depending on minimum wage, that’s not bad. Say $10 base, and assuming 3 deliveries/hour another $4.50. So even cheap tips another $5? If he can average about $20/hour for a part time during school job, even with some gas cost (shouldn’t be too bad since most pizza delivery is likely close to the store) that’s not bad

I figured I was making $16-18/hr (tips + wages), and I stopped working there 4+ years ago.

I know when I have pizza delivered, the delivery charge has crept up to $3-4. Same franchise owner as the store I worked at.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

stickguy said:

During week days he averages about one and a half deliveries an hour. On weekends he’ll average about 3 deliveries an hour. He said his tips would average around 4 bucks but the delivery area is very close to the pizza shop whereas with Door Dash he had to take some deliveries that were much further away if he wanted to make some money. He couldn’t wait to cherry pick close deliveries otherwise he wouldn’t make much. That’s the main reason he went back to the pizza shop. FWIW, when he’s in the shop he helps with making the pizzas and he said he’s a pro with making subs. More than likely because he worked at Subway before his pizza gig. Subway is in the same strip of shops as the pizza joint which is a little less than 2 miles from home. Yeah, he’s got it made.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Michaell said:

ab348 said:

Desperation.

jmonroe
    If the pizza costs $20 the store charges $20 plus a $2 delivery charge........the full $2 should go to the delivery guy. The store made it's money from the pizza, the delivery charge is not an expense for them. The driver could theoretically not get any tips, deliver 10 pizzas and make $10 which wouldn't cover the cost of gas. $20 would at least be closer....and why should a delivery person have to depend on tips to make a living? Only you would see that as fair.

The mens wear shop made a decision....either you charge full price and your customer is willing to pay that to get extra quality and service, or you discount and do it on volume. Both make sense, just depends on what market you are aiming for.
    I held off getting back to you on this because I wanted to talk to a pizza delivery guy I know very well...Grandson #1. OK, here I go:

Oh wait, before I get into this I’ll repeat what I said before, “the shop owner is in biz to make money”. If he wants to share some of the delivery charge with his drivers that’s up to him. The driver doesn’t have to take the job if he feels he’s being cheated.
    jmonroe
    I think we are almost on the same page. I think your grandson should get whatever the delivery charge is...in this case $1.50. If the pizza shop keeps the money it is like the scam restaurant owners who keep all the tip money for themselves, and maybe give the staff 10% or some measly amount they can get away with.
    I am glad he is sticking to his principles and yes an employer can try to scam employees by trying to make them work for tips only, but an employer with a conscience is going to make sure his employees are making a fair income for the work done.
    Just because you can take advantage of employees doesn't make it right morally.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

I figured I was making $16-18/hr (tips + wages), and I stopped working there 4+ years ago.

I know when I have pizza delivered, the delivery charge has crept up to $3-4. Same franchise owner as the store I worked at.
    .....and they probably still pay the delivery guy $1 of that! :@

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    dino001 said:

jmonroe1 said:

Once again you surprise me, then again maybe not. Why should a pizza shop owner give a buck of his delivery charge to the driver. It’s his store and he’s in business to make as much as he can.

He can do whatever he wants, as long as it's set before and everybody (pizza delivery guy and the customer) has understanding that "delivery charge" doesn't actually pay for the delivery, or to be precise, the delivery person is on customer's mercy to eat that night. However, I have a hard time accepting larger reality in which businesses call themselves "employers", yet they actually DO NOT PAY the people they allegedly "employ" and make the customer directly responsible for the fair compensation.

I've always had a problem with tipping as it's done in the US. I call it a price scam, or to be more charitable - restaurant version of a doc fee. You're telling me your price for the meal is 10 bucks, or for this room is 100 bucks, or for whatever. But wait - it doesn't actually include person taking the order and delivering it to the table, or the cleaning lady to come and wipe the room? And again, how does that make you "employer" of these people? To me tip should be something "on top" for making me superhappy, not something that's a person's wage. I should not need to know that the way you compensate or apparently not compensate your people. To me it's ridiculous - a price should be a price. I know things are different, so I obligue and pay my "voluntary" tip, but it actually pisses me off - I'd rather be told the meal is 12 bucks, not phoney 10 and then leave me alone, don't make me directly responsible for this poor waiter's kid's college fund.

BTW, what pisses me off more and more is the inflation of the tipping. Somehow it went from 15 percent before tax to 20--25 percent after tax and somehow places that you order at the counter, pick up your own food, put the tray away yourself, still have tip prompt at their registers BEFORE you even start eating. Including one of the Domino's stores on a pizza store pickup. Seems like corporations are trying to shed their responsibility from paying people to perhaps zero, if they only could. Places will become soon some wage hunting grounds. Service "doc fees" are now everywhere ...
    Do I have a solution for you. move to Europe.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

I don't have my pizza delivered, I go to the place order it right there and wait for it.

Did I mention that they have a bar?

edited January 2021

dino001 said:

jmonroe1 said:

Thanks, that's helpful. Perhaps you have other great suggestions of what one is not allowed to not to like to live here? I'll start taking notes.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,063

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

I don't have my pizza delivered, I go to the place order it right there and wait for it.

I very rarely have my pizza delivered, any more. I pick it up. One of the places we frequent also has a bar.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,850
    edited January 2021

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

LMAO. Great wife trick. Fake order the food, and run out immediately to pick up. Sit at the bar, order a beer and the food. Text wife .. they are soooooo backed up and have another beer

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

ab348 said:

jmonroe1 said:

Funny you should ask. In the late 80’s I did get a chance to do some sightseeing up that way. It was the week before Thanksgiving and Mrs. j came along that time. We stayed at the Oxnard Embassy Suites and while I worked Mrs. j lounged at the beach reading a book. It was not warm enough to go into the ocean but plenty of sun. I always took the week of Thanksgiving off so we drove up the coast the following week to Santa Barbara and a town that was like an old German village, kinda novel place but I can’t remember the name of that place. Even went to a famous place called the Pea Soup Inn which was in a Best Western Motel.

On the way back to LA we stopped off at Pepperdine University. Went to the top of the hill overlooking Malibu. That night we stayed at some place in Malibu then went to a restaurant for breakfast that was quite famous (can’t remember the name of that joint either) it had menu items and booths named after actors and actresses. To this day Mrs. j says she’d like to go back and do that again but so far we haven’t. To be honest, it was nice but it’s not on my bucket list.

EDIT: I just remembered the name of that old German village. I’m almost positive it was Solvang. Still can’t remember the name of the restaurant.

jmonroe

Hey, JM, w :@ ith your advanced age life experience, you should hang out over in the Mystery Car Pix board on here and regale us with these sort of stories about the places shown.
    Yeh, JM's story must have happened about 60 years ago.......a nickel beer! :'(

HEY, get your poster buddies straight. @venture is the guy who mentioned nickel beers not me. :@ However, I remember 2 cent beers to promote a charity back in my working days. Who says you can’t get a buzz for a dime?

jmonroe
    Oh yeh, he was replying to your post but both stories were blasts from the past.
    We used to go to the bar after volleyball in the old days.....when we ordered drinks they gave us free wings. One guy in the group never bought a drink, but sure ate as many wings as he could......and it wasn't me!
    We used to hang out at a place that every Sunday had a deal where for a $10 cover charge you had a free buffet and two free drinks (beer and well drinks nothing fancy). It was a pretty good deal and we did take advantage of it often.
    Sounds like a strip joint. :o
    I’ve heard of those places and always thought....”who would want to eat...at a buffet...where women were naked and the men were sleazy?” Go ahead....raise your hands. ;)
    Haven’t you seen those affairs where people eat sushi off a naked woman’s body? That’s evidently the height of culture although I doubt many people attend those things for the tuna.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

dino001 said:

dino001 said:

jmonroe1 said:

Thanks, that's helpful. Perhaps you have other great suggestions of what one is not allowed to not to like to live here? I'll start taking notes.
    Glad I could be of help. Do you have any other looooooong rants that I can help you with?

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    tjc78 said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

LMAO. Great wife trick. Fake order the food, and run out immediately to pick up. Sit at the bar, order a beer and the food. Text wife .. they are soooooo backed up and have another beer
    You would think they would have caught on to that.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

RIP Frau Blucher.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,251
    Back in 1986, a friend of mine and I went to pick a pizza to share with our better halves.
    Place sold pizza and had a good size bar.
    The 2 of us got a bit comfortable there and put the pizza pickup on the back burner.
    World Series was on, lots of Red Sox fans.
    It looked like they were going to close out the series and lots of patrons were giving the owner(Mets fan) a hard time.
    He got mad and closed down the bar, then Bill Buckner happened.
    Free drinks for everyone!
    We caught a lot of grief for bring back a cold, soggy pizza, but it was worth it. :p
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    ab348 said:

Years ago I was friends with a fellow who ran a pizza shop. The way his operation worked was that no pizza left the place unless it was paid for. So on deliveries, he would collect the menu price from the delivery driver before he left. Anything the driver collected upon delivery was all his.

Wow.you mean he stuck some kid for the bill if the customer was a no show? What a nice guy. I wouldn’t make it past the first order before I quit.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

carnaught said:

Locally, the Door Dash type of delivering places became notorious. There are isolated stories of French fries being depleted, coleslaw missing and even a report of a bite or two in the food - eww...

That probably only happened to the bad tippers.

stickguy said:

But that still doesn’t account for wear and depreciation on the vehicle. Even if the kid is borrowing mom’s car there’s still about 55 cents a mile cost according to the IRS. A 10 mile round trip would absorb a $5 tip.

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702

RIP Frau Blucher.

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.

stickguy said:

But that still doesn’t account for wear and depreciation on the vehicle. Even if the kid is borrowing mom’s car there’s still about 55 cents a mile cost according to the IRS. A 10 mile round trip would absorb a $5 tip.
    The 55 cent figure is just an estimate and some cars it will be more and some less. Now a college kid in a 12 year old Ford Focus with 150k miles on it isn't going to incur anywhere near 55 cents a mile cost in driving.

dino001 said:

dino001 said:

jmonroe1 said:

Glad I could be of help. Do you have any other looooooong rants that I can help you with?
    Plenty in the tank. Stand by.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

dino001 said:

dino001 said:

jmonroe1 said:

Please don't ask JMonroe that question :(

my wife makes a good pizza. We make the dough from scratch (usually use the bread machine for that) and she makes sauce from scratch usually. Mozz, well, that comes out of a bag from the market!

Key to the operation was getting a pizza stone.

I have become obsessed with making good pizza.

Looks really good.....you should open up an indie pizza shop. GG's Pizza and Car Delivery Service.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    stickguy said:

my wife makes a good pizza. We make the dough from scratch (usually use the bread machine for that) and she makes sauce from scratch usually. Mozz, well, that comes out of a bag from the market!

I agree about the pizza stone. If you don't have one of those crazy expensive pizza oven gizmos, pre-heating a pizza stone in your oven works wonders.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

stickguy said:

I agree about the pizza stone. If you don't have one of those crazy expensive pizza oven gizmos, pre-heating a pizza stone in your oven works wonders.
    Probably a dollar or two invested in ingredients. Pizza place charges $12. Mine tastes infinitely better.
    driver100 said:

I have become obsessed with making good pizza.

Looks really good.....you should open up an indie pizza shop. GG's Pizza and Car Delivery Service.

LOL! Pay for a transport, get a pizza with the car.

I have become obsessed with making good pizza. It’s not an economic thing. I just know I can do better than anything from the pre-made grocery pies, or what I can get delivered.

I make pizza dough every month or so to use for lazy Sundays. I make my own sauce from simple, but fresh ingredients (in addition to growing my own basil, oregano, and other spices).

Used to make my own mozzarella but quit doing that as I’ve found a source as good, probably better, than anything I can make.

That’s a good trick. How do you get that out of a snowball. :o

jmonroe
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    I’ve lived in Queens, NY, Chicago, ILL, San Diego, CA, Los Angeles, CA, Palm Desert, CA, The Poconos in PA, and North Broward County, FL, and have eaten pizza at hundreds of Pizzerias.

Being a New Yorker for 22 years, I’ve always sought out one kind of pizza that causes certain gastric phenomena to occur in my mid-abdominal region and my salivary glands to become over active - and that pizza is traditional New York Pizza. This pizza is not available in any of the cities I’ve lived outside NY - only South Florida has a similar type of Pizza, but not quite up to the standards of TRUE NY PIZZA. Now you might ask, “...what is traditional New York Pizza?

First of all, it’s only made in Queens, Brooklyn and South Manhattan. It has a raised crust edge; the bottom crust is slightly crisp; it is made with a tasty marinara pizza sauce spread evenly over the bottom crust; it has extra mozzarella cheese and is topped off with a tinge of oregano and extra virgin olive oil.

After it is baked to a delightful outer crispness and the mozzarella cheese topping begins to bubble, it is placed on an aluminum or stainless steel platter, sliced into 6 slices, and served bubbling hot. You know it’s NY Style once you pick up a slice and fold it in half, and oils begin to drip down to the tip of the slice prompting, at times, a need to flip the tip back into the triangular slice. You delicately point the tip into your mouth and take a bite. You chew and savor the flavors and the cheese and sauce mixture in your mouth and begin a gastric ecstasy until you have eaten as many slices as your stomach can accommodate. Ahhhh - true heavenly manna.

That’s my position on what truly delicious and mouth-watering pizza is!😜🤪🤓

2021 Genesis G90

Leaving in about 20 minutes for my second Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine shot over at our clubhouse. Hopefully it will go smoothly with not too much waiting. My appointment is for 1:00 PM and I am bringing the card they gave me after my first shot which shows my appointment time, the manufacturer of the vaccine and the control numbers of the production batch. Can’t wait for this to be over.

2021 Genesis G90

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    abacomike said:

I’ve lived in Queens, NY, Chicago, ILL, San Diego, CA, Los Angeles, CA, Palm Desert, CA, The Poconos in PA, and North Broward County, FL, and have eaten pizza at hundreds of Pizzerias.

Being a New Yorker for 22 years, I’ve always sought out one kind of pizza that causes certain gastric phenomena to occur in my mid-abdominal region and my salivary glands to become over active - and that pizza is traditional New York Pizza. This pizza is not available in any of the cities I’ve lived outside NY - only South Florida has a similar type of Pizza, but not quite up to the standards of TRUE NY PIZZA. Now you might ask, “...what is traditional New York Pizza?

First of all, it’s only made in Queens, Brooklyn and South Manhattan. It has a raised crust edge; the bottom crust is slightly crisp; it is made with a tasty marinara pizza sauce spread evenly over the bottom crust; it has extra mozzarella cheese and is topped off with a tinge of oregano and extra virgin olive oil.

After it is baked to a delightful outer crispness and the mozzarella cheese topping begins to bubble, it is placed on an aluminum or stainless steel platter, sliced into 6 slices, and served bubbling hot. You know it’s NY Style once you pick up a slice and fold it in half, and oils begin to drip down to the tip of the slice prompting, at times, a need to flip the tip back into the triangular slice. You delicately point the tip into your mouth and take a bite. You chew and savor the flavors and the cheese and sauce mixture in your mouth and begin a gastric ecstasy until you have eaten as many slices as your stomach can accommodate. Ahhhh - true heavenly manna.

That’s my position on what truly delicious and mouth-watering pizza is!😜🤪🤓

This sounds like commercial for a new restaurant.
    Or for a cooking show on a cable channel.
    Or for a new countertop pizza oven machine for sale on HSN or QVC--comes with a receipe for pizza.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited January 2021
    abacomike said:

Leaving in about 20 minutes for my second Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine shot over at our clubhouse. Hopefully it will go smoothly with not too much waiting. My appointment is for 1:00 PM and I am bringing the card they gave me after my first shot which shows my appointment time, the manufacturer of the vaccine and the control numbers of the production batch. Can’t wait for this to be over.

I am anxious to know how your reaction is to this second shot.
    I've not decided that I trust the CDC and sources for the shots, so I'm on the fence about getting the vaccination when I'm eligible in Ohio if they can get vaccine (this week LOL). My doctor and I agree that for me waiting weeks or a couple of months to monitor likely won't mean anything in my situation.

I don't have the risk factors that you do, despite being older, so my doctor just last week agreed with my timeline.

Hope the second round goes well for you.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

There is some amazing pizza in NYC. one of the best is actually in the lower mezzanine level of Penn Station, near the gates for NJ transit. One of the few good things about passing through there!

abacomike said:

I am anxious to know how your reaction is to this second shot.
    I've not decided that I trust the CDC and sources for the shots, so I'm on the fence about getting the vaccination when I'm eligible in Ohio if they can get vaccine (this week LOL). My doctor and I agree that for me waiting weeks or a couple of months to monitor likely won't mean anything in my situation.

I don't have the risk factors that you do, despite being older, so my doctor just last week agreed with my timeline.
    Just had the second vaccine shot. They are having us sit in the main ballroom for 30 minutes before releasing us to make sure we do not have any reaction to the vaccine.

I had no reaction(s) after the first shot so they predict I will not have a reaction to this second shot. They told me that there may be some reactionary symptoms after 24-48 after the second vaccination but that they are quite rare.

I’lll keep you updated if I have any reactions. Now I just hope after 3-4 weeks, I will be protected from the virus. I’m just concerned about the variants popping up across the USA. I have read that if necessary they will give a 3rd booster shot if the vaccine is found to be less effective against these variants.

2021 Genesis G90

Good thing is your vaccine doesn’t actually target the virus, rather the distribution mechanism. So if that’s the same in the variations, should be just as effective.

abacomike said:

I want mine :cry:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

stickguy said:

Good thing is your vaccine doesn’t actually target the virus, rather the distribution mechanism. So if that’s the same in the variations, should be just as effective.

Also, it should be relatively easy to modify in case of deeper mutations. I heard some biologist comparing the whole design process to printing based on formula. Pfizer and Moderna could license the production rather than do it themselves, just like computer chips. They may be forced to sell their formulas into that by the government to that if the production doesn't keep up with demand and promises for much longer.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

edited January 2021
    Is the third eye on the back at least? Should be more useful...

2018 430i Gran Coupe

carnaught said:

My second vaccine injection was over 2 weeks ago. Reaction was minimal, about the same as the first one. Only thing I noticed was that the third eye I grew after the first injection has become more developed.

I’ve started growing horns and have developed an aversion to hunters with rifles. Otherwise, everything is great!😜🤓🤪

2021 Genesis G90

edited January 2021
    That’s awesome @graphicguy I love homemade pizza!

Oh for the home theater guys.... wrestling this bad boy to the media room tonight

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    Getting back to cars for a moment, I was just looking out the front windows and noticed a small subcompact sedan - maybe a Sonic, a Fiests, or perhaps an older Suzuki of some sort (my first thought) creeping very slowly past my house. As he cleared the intersection at the corner he pulled over on the other side for a minute before slowly rolling again. The reason for the slow motion was that he had a donut mini-spare on his front right and it had gone flat.

That made me wonder: why aren't those either run-flats themselves or perhaps even mostly solid?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    tjc78 said:

Will we be able to feel that in Colorado?!?!?!?