Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860

That really looks good.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056

When does the Outback lease expire? Are you staring to think about replacements?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    Love that color combo!
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    Michaell said:

Ask and you shall receive.

So cool to see that stick shift popping up from the console.
    Come to papa!!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    Outback is up June 2022. Wife wants to keep it or get another Outback. I’m not going to argue with her. I love it, too.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    I like it. We need to have a blue/tan BMW meet sometime...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    Love that color combo! I also love the full beige interior, you almost never see that these days.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Outback is up June 2022. Wife wants to keep it or get another Outback. I’m not going to argue with her. I love it, too.

Happy wife, happy life (or so I've heard)!
    tjc78 said:

Love that color combo! I also love the full beige interior, you almost never see that these days.

I didn't notice that. My 2007 A4 was the same way with the beige/ivory carpet. I had it less than a month before I ordered a set of black Weathertech floormats.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    I like that Wagon a lot. Would like it even better if RWD.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

You’d go with an XT next time around?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Yep. I need to drive it though. I really like the H6 in the current car...

I hear you. It’s not the most powerful engine, and there’s a fair amount of weight to pull, but I’ve never found it lacking for power.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    edited January 2021
    xwesx said:

The world passed another COVID-19 milestone... 100,000,000 cases! Check, please!

Only 6,900,000,000 to go.

Point being, less than 1.5% of the world's population has tested positive. Could be a whole lot worse.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

xwesx said:

The world passed another COVID-19 milestone... 100,000,000 cases! Check, please!

Only 6,900,000,000 to go.

Point being, less than 1.5% of the world's population has tested positive. Could be a whole lot worse.

A little perspective never hurts.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    The electronic trunk controls no longer work on the XF, it could simply be a busted wire or maybe the latching unit. I can't electrically lock the car or open trunk, need to use key. Also, trunk open warning light stays lit. Ok, I can deal with it, will call my shop. But, after 7+ years of joyful ownership, is this a sign?

I've always known the car I wanted, perhaps it's the recent events in my family and covid world in general, but I just have no strong feelings as to what would replace the XF (and I've babbled like this before here, sorry).

As I may be house hunting soon, I don't want to spend billions, so I'm thinking of used/CPO:
    MB E400/450
    Porsche Macan, 2018-2020. Is the update in '19 a much better choice than an '18?
    Maybe a new M240, but I'm thinking I should still have four doors.
    Audi A/S 5, coupe or Sportback?
    A7?

Nothing really moves me, feel free to comment if you so desire.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

well, you have good taste. Not a bad option in the bunch.

I know what you mean though. Maybe because I hardly drive now, and when I do, it is a very nice new RDX, but I really don't have a burning desire for anything specific, and until our needs change, would not even consider another expensive car.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Was at the Mini/BMW dealers in West Palm and Coconut Creek today and saw some nice loaners. Both Countryman S's. One was a white roof over a light gray body with white stripes down the hood. The one closer to our place was a black top over a charcoal body with black stripes. Both are ex-loaners and the darker one has a sticker price of $37,900. But it's fully loaded with the dual moon roofs, HK audio, 18' alloys and Sirius/XM for a year upfront. Got a salesman's card as I was smitten with it. Of course, my crew members were pushing me to go back and test drive it but I know I'll get a lot of push back if I even consider it. 169.8" so the length is perfect though the width might be another inch bigger. It's also inside the smallish showroom so they'd have to take it out so I could test drive it. Has just over 4K miles on it.
    Wonder how much they'd actually discount this unit? It's a 2020 model which works for me. And to be honest, this is the first vehicle that if all the stars aligned, I'd have no problem trading the Golf. First vehicle I've seen that I feel that way to! Now that the Golf is running so well, might just be the time to let it go and move forward. But the price...the price could be a problem. Not sure I could actually spend close to $28K plus my trade for something new, and I'm just guessing here. I'm more comfortable spending around $20K plus mine.
    But, I really think this could be the one! The lighter colored one in West Palm was also super nice but not sure what it includes since I didn't get to see the sticker sheet like the one closer to home. Suspect though that it's equipped almost the same or the same.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

I really liked the 6 in my former Legacy and wasn't sure about the XT, but it is actually quicker than the H6; at least in the lower speed ranges. In the upper ranges it seems about the same.

I did look up the 0-60 times and the H6 was 6.8 and the T4 is 6.1. In other places you look the times may differ, but the same conclusion will be reached.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    I bet in extreme weather, say HOT, the H6 will be more consistent than the T4. Turbos don’t like hot weather, i.e. you can feel it throttle back the performance somewhat. At least that’s been my experience with 5 turbo cars we’ve owned. Premium fuel in all except my 18 Passat which calls for regular. I haven’t experienced the Passat in HOT weather yet, so say 4 cars.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

I wonder whether the turbo in the Passat might be rated for regular, but still produce more horsepower running premium. I think some people have reported that result with the Ford EcoBoost engines.
    I’m really not worried about performance numbers on this car so much as driving experience. I like the smooth delivery of the H6. But, I will give the XT its due closer to lease end especially because the weakest link of the current car is the infotainment and that won’t improve as it ages.
    sda said:

I bet in extreme weather, say HOT, the H6 will be more consistent than the T4. Turbos don’t like hot weather, i.e. you can feel it throttle back the performance somewhat. At least that’s been my experience with 5 turbo cars we’ve owned. Premium fuel in all except my 18 Passat which calls for regular. I haven’t experienced the Passat in HOT weather yet, so say 4 cars.

on the flip side, for the Colorado crew, turbos are much happier at higher elevations so once you start climbing the mountains that is a big advantage over the H6.

we test drove an XT outback last year. The powertrain was very nice, though I did not get a chance to hammer it. Actually not positive I even drove it (I just remember the wife doing it)

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    edited January 2021
    @laurasdada -

Based on what you’re coming from and the other candidates on your list, I’d probably skip the A5. We’ve had two - one current gen and one previous - and they both had style in spades and were very comfortable, but had a very “vanilla” driving experience.

An S5 of course should solve that.

For the Macan, when we were shopping them recently, my wife thought the 2019 updates with the taillights and larger infotainment screen made the pre-refresh model feel dated. Also, for the S model, I believe they changed the engine in that, FWIW.

Like @stickguy said, everything on your list is very desirable.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    @Sandman6472 -

Obviously you need to take a test drive in a Countryman, but it could hit all the right buttons for you. It’s compact, but you sit a little higher up, which may be nice for entry and exit. It’s sporty, like your Golf. And the styling attracts you - you’ve been drawn to them for some time now.

Give it a shot...but make sure to pay attention to the firmness of the ride.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

edited January 2021
    @Sandman6472 - regarding pricing of the Countryman, find out what the original MSRP on them are. For BMW (and, I'll guess, MINI), our recommendation has been to negotiate 15-18% off MSRP for loaner vehicles, before any incentives.

These still qualify for new car incentives, as well - $2000.

$37,900 - 18% = $31,078 - $2000 incentive = $29,078

Plus tax, title, fees, etc.

Offer them $29K less your trade and see what they say.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    Would a charcoal-painted vehicle with a black roof be unbearable in Florida? I would also suspect the ride might be harsh on those. But you need to drive it of course.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Browsing Craigslist... Found a very rare RWD turbocharged Lexus RX350. Given its rarity, seller has it priced about double what a normal one with those miles should go for on a private party sale.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    Not sure how that Lexus slipped in the country. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @laurasdada ....seriously? I’ve dumped cars for infractions way less than a busted trunk latch.

Anyway...agree with most, not a bad car in the bunch. Personally, I’d lean towards the M240. I’ve kicked the tires on a variety of “2s” in the past. Always liked them. I've tested a 235i. I would imagine an M240 would be better.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,183
    ab348 said:

Would a charcoal-painted vehicle with a black roof be unbearable in Florida? I would also suspect the ride might be harsh on those. But you need to drive it of course.

I read a study once, that said paint color had much less effect on interior temperatures than would be expected

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    Thanks, stick, breld and GG.
    Back in '13, when I had to get a grown up car (adios, XK), I narrowed it down to the XF and the A5. And, while lovely, as breld noted, I found driving the A5 "efficient," but I wasn't moved to buy. The XF just hit all the right notes for me. Perhaps coming from the XK, perhaps the emotional relationship to my father's friend's E-Type of the late '60s.

So, I'm searching S5s vs A5. There's a '19 E450 with (IIRC) the same interior as Fin's wagon, Polar White exterior and AMG graphics. I'd really like a blue or red car next, tired of white and silver/gray variations. But, beggars...

Still not sure I'm an SUV guy, but having wrecked my left knee running back in November, for a few weeks getting in/out of the XF was a bit of an origami exercise. Knee's better, but that's one reason I'm thinking Macan. And, I do like the interior updates of '19, although I think the CD player went away. But, if I can xfer music to the hard drive, no biggie. Used '19+ Macan S are a bit more rare around here,

And, now that I've been reunited with my dog, probably want four doors, so unlikely M240i. Why must I continue to be an adult???

Yup, GG, I'm a dilettante on this board.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• coldinohiocoldinohio Member Posts: 170
    i'll give my $.02

i have a '17 macan S-- bought CPO; prior had '14 A4 (like several others here) and acura TL before audi; CPO adds two years to the 4 year factory warranty

porsche is by far the most fun; the DSG is fast and i use the paddles most days...the SUV is much easier to get into and out of esp for wifey who has bad knee

porsche like most german cars have very expensive maintenance as has been discussed;

'19 vs prior generation-- nicer interior esp HVAC and infotainment; if you have android phone-- doesn't work like carplay as no android auto-yet

How about a bmw 440 5 door?

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    corvette said:

I wonder whether the turbo in the Passat might be rated for regular, but still produce more horsepower running premium. I think some people have reported that result with the Ford EcoBoost engines.

I've wondered the same and am tempted to fill it up with premium to find out. @stickguy is correct, in higher altitudes turbos do well.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:

corvette said:

I've wondered the same and am tempted to fill it up with premium to find out. @stickguy is correct, in higher altitudes turbos do well.
    My last two leases - Elantra GT and Jetta SE - had similar HP (around 150), but the Jetta was the 1.4T, and felt decidedly peppier in all driving conditions. I suspect it's the torque developed lower in the RPM band that is the difference.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

edited January 2021
    I got a follow up from the customer service rep at the Toyota dealership on Monday. Forwarded her all of the documentation showing the issues with the service visit. She asked me to come in again and said the service advisor would call me Tuesday. He called Tuesday and left me a voicemail in which he (possibly disparagingly) referred to the customer service person as "the lady in the cashier's office."

I emailed today and asked politely whether they would provide a loaner, given that I had paid for a rental last time in anticipation of them performing a thorough diagnostic of the vehicle, which they did not do. The response was "Unfortunately we do not offer loaners our dealership doesn’t have them...what I can do for you is set you up a rental through enterprise and you would only have to pay our price of $35 a day."

Too little, too late. I'm done investing time, money, and energy on an in-warranty vehicle trying to fix an annoying issue that doesn't affect drivability when it's halfway through its lease.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    corvette said:

Browsing Craigslist... Found a very rare RWD turbocharged Lexus RX350. Given its rarity, seller has it priced about double what a normal one with those miles should go for on a private party sale.

That guy is drinking too much Kool-Aid.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Michaell said:

sda said:

corvette said:

My last two leases - Elantra GT and Jetta SE - had similar HP (around 150), but the Jetta was the 1.4T, and felt decidedly peppier in all driving conditions. I suspect it's the torque developed lower in the RPM band that is the difference.
    That, and turbos compensate for the thinner air at higher elevations. So a NA car loses power as it climbs, a lot more than turbos.

If you ever watch a TFL review on YouTube, they always mention it (they are in Boulder I think, somewhere around there).

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356

There’s an 06 Silver over gray that just hit BaT. Automatic though, 124k miles. Will be interesting to see what it goes for. Looks nice although a little bland compared to this beauty.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

sda said:

corvette said:

I had a Fusion with the 2.0 Ecoboost. Ford even said it would produce more power using premium gas. I tried a few tanks and didn't really notice any difference.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Michaell said:
    tough? I will go with impossible.

Michaell said:
    Kind of reminds me of a 2006+ Civic coupe, but I think they need someone who can enhance the photo.
    A number of cars advertise 2 HP figures (RUG and PUG). I spent some time researching it (for my Acuras) and most cases it seemed to be at the high end of the rev band. So if you are just driving normally around town or loafing on the highway, you likely won't ever hit the restricted band. And on most cars, they have enough power that it is quite possible you won't notice if it is there or not.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

Nice interior. Why can’t domestic cars get that?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Was at the Mini/BMW dealers in West Palm and Coconut Creek today and saw some nice loaners. Both Countryman S's. One was a white roof over a light gray body with white stripes down the hood. The one closer to our place was a black top over a charcoal body with black stripes. Both are ex-loaners and the darker one has a sticker price of $37,900. But it's fully loaded with the dual moon roofs, HK audio, 18' alloys and Sirius/XM for a year upfront. Got a salesman's card as I was smitten with it. Of course, my crew members were pushing me to go back and test drive it but I know I'll get a lot of push back if I even consider it. 169.8" so the length is perfect though the width might be another inch bigger. It's also inside the smallish showroom so they'd have to take it out so I could test drive it. Has just over 4K miles on it.
    Wonder how much they'd actually discount this unit? It's a 2020 model which works for me. And to be honest, this is the first vehicle that if all the stars aligned, I'd have no problem trading the Golf. First vehicle I've seen that I feel that way to! Now that the Golf is running so well, might just be the time to let it go and move forward. But the price...the price could be a problem. Not sure I could actually spend close to $28K plus my trade for something new, and I'm just guessing here. I'm more comfortable spending around $20K plus mine.
    But, I really think this could be the one! The lighter colored one in West Palm was also super nice but not sure what it includes since I didn't get to see the sticker sheet like the one closer to home. Suspect though that it's equipped almost the same or the same.

You know my philosophy, if you can afford it without causing financial stress and it makes you happy, go for it. Consider it a reward for a life well lived. I drove a Mini for a semi long trip recently and it was a fun car. Roomy for it’s apparent size. It has the taut handling similar to a VW so you should be comfortable.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

corvette said:

With those miles it must be made of solid gold.