Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Fuel-Tank Warranties Extended on 2006 Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger and Magnum

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2016 in Chrysler
Fuel-Tank Warranties Extended on 2006 Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger and Magnum

Chrysler is extending the fuel-tank warranties on 153,817 2006 Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger and Magnum vehicles after complaints of engine stalling at low speeds.

Read the full story here

Comments

• name_unknownname_unknown Member Posts: 1
    I can find many posts on this but cannot find any info from Chrysler, Dodge, or NHTSA themselves. Is this a recall or just an extension of warranty. I bought my 06 Charger R/T used and want to know if I am covered.
  • 300c_owner300c_owner Member Posts: 1
    This is not true, or at least, not true yet. I contacted Chrysler to ask about this and was told there has been no extension to my 2006 300C's warranty. Below is the text of the question and answer.

Question: I understand the warranty on the gas tank has been extended on my 2006 300C to correct the problem with stalling after fill up. I have that problem. How do I go about getting it fixed under warranty? When I asked my dealer about this a couple weeks ago he said he has not heard anything about it.

Answer: [Niceties removed]. A review of our records indicates that your vehicle does not currently require service for any recall campaign or issued an extended warranty. We have updated your file to reflect the information provided in your email. Going forward, if any recall or extended warranty is placed on your vehicle at a future date, you will be notified via mail. Since you are currently experiencing problems with your vehicle stalling after fueling, we certainly recommend that you contact your local dealer to arrange an appointment so that they can inspect the vehicle and determine an appropriate course of action. If you receive notification of an extended warranty issued on your vehicle, we recommend keeping all receipts and invoices to submit for possible reimbursement at that time.
  • blondie34blondie34 Member Posts: 1
    We need your help Edmunds, because there are so many of us having the issue and Chrysler is not recognizing our vin #. I am afraid to drive this car anymore as of the stalling in traffic. I was told not to fill my tank anymore and Live with this issue. I have called the NHTSA and filed a complaint with them. I have called Chrysler my vin# is not one of the vehicle but yet I stall out in traffic as soon as I leave the gas station on a Full tank. I have pampered this car, 2006 Charger 65,000 miles. I need help in getting to the bottom of this.
  • russellsatxrussellsatx Member Posts: 2
    The NHTSA action number for this is PE13016. The gov site has the info and everyone knows it but Chrysler. I called my local dealer and the parts manager said he never heard of an extended warranty on this and he has never even heard of anyone having an issue. Really? 153,817 2006 Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger and Magnums and I am the only one to bring this to my dealer? Someone has to help us with this!
  • russellsatxrussellsatx Member Posts: 2
    Here is my chat dialog with Chrysler on this issue:

Julie: Hi, my name is Julie with Chrysler Customer Care, How may I help you today?
    Russell Schwarz: I have a 2006 Chrysler 300. It is one of the cars that has a fuel tank problem. I am familiar with NHTSA Action PE13016 concerning the government investigation into this issue as well as the decision of Chrysler to extend the warranty on the 19-gallon fuel tank to lifetime coverage. I also received from the government site a copy of the letter that Chrysler said they sent out to owners concerning this matter. However, I never received the letter and my local Chrysler dealer service manager says that he has never heard of the problem nor is he familiar with any decision of Chrysler to fix the problem. In the mean time, I have struggled with this for three years every time I fill with gas. My car stalls 6 to 10 times after each fill up. What do I have to do to get this fixed?
    Julie: I am sorry that you are experiencing this issue with the vehicle Mr Schwarz. By checking your vin I see that you do not have an extended warranty for this issue with the vehicle currently. In order to get this fixed I would ask you to reach out to your dealership for a diagnosis and repair.
    Russell Schwarz: Are you familiar with NHTSA PE13016?
    Julie: I am not familiar with the NHTSA PE13016.
    Russell Schwarz: OK. Thanks. I will report this correspondence to NHTSA. Thanks for your reply.
    Julie: You are welcome, is there anything else that I can assist you with today?
    Russell Schwarz: No thanks
    Julie: Thank you for contacting us at Chrysler today.
    Julie has disconnected.
  • wgraggiowgraggio Member Posts: 1
    this is not a recall, recalls work even if you don t have the problem yet. your fuel tank have to stop working in order to be service by the dealer, show them letter x53 or call chrysler to get one.
  • sunrise75034sunrise75034 Member Posts: 1
    I am the original owner of a 2006 Chrysler 300C that currently has 80.000 miles. I am still living at the same address that I was when I purchased the vehicle on 12/31/2005. I have never received a letter from Chrysler concerning this issue. They were supposedly sent in 2014. This is 2017. A few weeks ago, my stepson was driving this vehicle and it began randomly stalling. It left him stranded, blocking two lanes and subjecting him to being t-boned on the driver's side. I fail to see how Chrysler doesn't think this is a safety issue. Tonight while the towtruck driver was attempting to get the car up on his flatbed, it stalled 4 times between the time he backed it out of the parking spot and drove it up onto the flatbed. It is now sitting at the dealer for service. Any other time it has been into the dealership for service,, they haven't been able to get the problem to replicate. We'll see how this one goes.
  • mrsmiran7790mrsmiran7790 Member Posts: 1
    I don't know if any/all of you have successfully had this problem taken care of yet, but I have an 05 Magnum that had this problem a year or so ago. I have a friend that also had the same problem with an 05 Magnum that brought it to my shop for diagnosis/repair and we also could not duplicate the problem at the time. Soon after this, my Magnum started doing the same thing (mine, too, nearly stalled in a busy intersection! I'm so thankful I was able to throttle it through and not get hit like the other gentleman that did. That's awful and I'm sorry that happened to you!!) and that is when I found out the (proper) info on this recall.
    The recall (yes, it IS a recall!!) originally covered 06 year models, HOWEVER, Chrysler/Dodge extended the coverage to other years and models that had/have this problem. Even though your VIN # may not be included in this recall, IT IS STILL BE COVERED, so push the issue if they give you grief!! My local dealership (Boise, Idaho) said that even though my specific VIN # wasn't included in the original recall (or the year model), that because I described the problem I was having as "stalling after fuel fill-up", I was covered under the EXTENDED recall (you MUST tell them "EXTENDED RECALL" and "STALLS AFTER FUEL FILL-UP" to be covered).
    BTW, just because you don't receive a recall notice, does NOT mean it's not a recall (as stated by someone above). The original VIN #s that were covered DID receive notices. This IS very much a recall. Recall means, a factory defect covered by the dealership for NO CHARGE to the vehicle owner (original owner or not).
    I hope this clarification helps.
  • mountaintop208mountaintop208 Member Posts: 2
    I will be going into the dealership to tell them, "EXTENDED RECALL" and "STALLS AFTER FUEL FILL-UP". I replaced Purge solenoid valve thinking that was it, but after the 15th time stalling while turning on a busy intersection, I finally did some research and ended up here, Chrysler should be held liable for this 100% especially when someone's turning and the power steering all of a sudden shuts off in the middle of a turn, freaking disaster waiting to happen.
  • mountaintop208mountaintop208 Member Posts: 2

I don't know if any/all of you have successfully had this problem taken care of yet, but I have an 05 Magnum that had this problem a year or so ago. I have a friend that also had the same problem with an 05 Magnum that brought it to my shop for diagnosis/repair and we also could not duplicate the problem at the time. Soon after this, my Magnum started doing the same thing (mine, too, nearly stalled in a busy intersection! I'm so thankful I was able to throttle it through and not get hit like the other gentleman that did. That's awful and I'm sorry that happened to you!!) and that is when I found out the (proper) info on this recall.
    The recall (yes, it IS a recall!!) originally covered 06 year models, HOWEVER, Chrysler/Dodge extended the coverage to other years and models that had/have this problem. Even though your VIN # may not be included in this recall, IT IS STILL BE COVERED, so push the issue if they give you grief!! My local dealership (Boise, Idaho) said that even though my specific VIN # wasn't included in the original recall (or the year model), that because I described the problem I was having as "stalling after fuel fill-up", I was covered under the EXTENDED recall (you MUST tell them "EXTENDED RECALL" and "STALLS AFTER FUEL FILL-UP" to be covered).
    BTW, just because you don't receive a recall notice, does NOT mean it's not a recall (as stated by someone above). The original VIN #s that were covered DID receive notices. This IS very much a recall. Recall means, a factory defect covered by the dealership for NO CHARGE to the vehicle owner (original owner or not).
    I hope this clarification helps.

Hey mrsmiran7790, I live in Meridian, What dealership did you take it to?
  • Limabean79Limabean79 Member Posts: 1
    I have just contacted my dealership about the issue. They said my VIN wasn't eligible but I kept on and got to speak with someone else. He looked it up & said no but then he looked for warranties and found the fuel warranty. I go in to have it checked out. He said more than liking that was the problem but if not, I have to pay $120 diagnostic fee. Hoping for the best!
  • Mopar4everMopar4ever Member Posts: 1
    Been having this problem for 4 years on my 06 Charger. Finally, they tell me about this extended warranty. Will a “Salvaged” tiled car be covered?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200

Been having this problem for 4 years on my 06 Charger. Finally, they tell me about this extended warranty. Will a “Salvaged” tiled car be covered?

Not likely

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Latenite_daveLatenite_dave Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Chrysler 300c that dies when you top off. But not any more. I called Chrysler and they ask for my name and vin # and milage. I told them I was calling about the x53 life time warranty. She told me to take my car to the Chrysler and tell them your there about the x53 extended gas tank warranty. I did and they fixed it. The only thing you have to have a 19 gallon tank. I hope this helps
  • I have a 2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8 with 191,000 mi on it and I've been dealing with this issue for about a year now. Except for mine's not just doing it after fill ups it does it consistently after fill ups. Sometimes it'll run okay all the way through the tank of fuel but most of the time it stalls repeatedly due to the fact it's probably done ruin the purge valve in the canister. Also this is not a minor safety issue this is a major should be recall issue due to the fact the car dies at stop lights when you're trying to turn it dies wherever and whenever at a stop. That's definitely a major safety issue should be recall. If I had the money to hire a lawyer I would do something about it in the court system. these dealerships want to try to give me the runaround talking about have to do a diagnostic and this and that just replace the damn fuel tank like the warranty suggests. If my car falls in that warranty provision then the car should be fixed no questions asked. Just had to get that rant off my back cause this car is driving me crazy.