Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

DOES HONDA REALLY LIVE UP TO IT'S NAME?

accoupe147accoupe147 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Honda
Hello,

I am a 1998 V6, EX Honda Accord owner. This was
my first Honda purchase. I have always heard
positive things about Honda, so I didn't think
twice before the purchase. To my surprise, Honda
is not living up to its name. I know things go
wrong, but with less than 30,000 miles on my
vehicle, the engine mounts have cracked, the ball
joints needed to be replaced, and I now need a new
transmission. Yes, can you believe it. Aside from
those major items, the cd player was replaced, the
actuator in the door panel was replaced, the
rubber moldings on the passenger door was replaced,
the air conditioner had to be serviced, the trunk
release on the remote needed to be fixed, there
were problem with the brakes and the drivers side
window seems to be coming off the track. All under
30,000 miles. Honda will not do anything to help me
get out of the vehicle and into another one. I'm
stuck with a 5 year finance contract for that
defective vehicle. The only thing Honda will offer
me is an extension of my current warranty as a
courtesy. They don't believe anything is wrong
with the vehicle they sold me. They state the car
will live up to it's name. So now I'm stuck with
it. If by chance this is just an isolate incident,
then Honda should be willing to do more to address
the problems.

My advise to everyone is, the next time you make a
purchase of a new vehicle, don't assume your
necessarily getting a better car just because of a
name. Especially Honda. Problems with vehicles
are not often reported and recalls are not often
publicized.

Comments

• midtown31midtown31 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Ex 5 speed sedan with 30000 miles. Luckly I have had very few problems with my car, just the usual rattles in dash, sunroof. I hope this honda will go as many miles as my 93 Accord Ex. I feel the 93 was built better then my 98 and sometimes I wish I still had my 93. It sounds like you got a lemon and that could happen to any of us.
  • rotorrayrotorray Member Posts: 42
    I've got a 98 V-6 with all the goodies and 12K miles (wifee drives it) and no problems yet. Daughter had a 96 and had great experience. Co-worker had a 91 Accord. He didn't maintain it too well (oil change at 20K, etc) so he had some problems but he learned how important maintenance was. His dealer (now defunct) was OUTSTANDING, to say the least. Very supportive, quality work and REASONABLE. Sorry he closed. Haven't had to use my dealer yet as I do routine stuff myself but have heard good things about him (Ken Harvey's Dublin Honda, Dublin, CA). If he doesn't live up to his name I'll post it and go somewhere else. Purchasing experience was what to be expected on the 98 which was the first year of the new Accord style and I bought it early but it's been a fine car. They are only machines, and nothing is "perfect". Sorry for your bad experiences but many Honda owners swear by them. Hope mine lives up to their reputation. My .02....
  • rosebud22rosebud22 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A '99 ACCORD EX AND THE TRANSMISSION JUST UP AND DIED ONE FRIDAY AFTERNOON. IT WAS TOWED TO THE DEALER AND THEY INFORMED ME IT WAS A FAULTY TORQUE CONVERTER SWITCH. WELL, IT WAS NOT. THEY WERE GOING TO REPLACE THE ENTIRE TRANSMISSION WITH A REMANUFACTURED UNIT--IN MY THREE MONTH OLD CAR WITH 5500 MILES ON IT! I ARGUED WITH THE REGIONAL OFFICE UNTIL THEY FINALLY ASSURED ME THAT A NEW TRANSMISSION WAS BEING PUT IN; WHEN WE PICKED UP THE CAR AND LOOKED AT THE SERIAL NUMBER ON THE TRANSMISSION, WE KNEW AMERICAN HONDA, THE REGIONAL OFFICE, AND THE DEALERSHIP LIED! THE CODING ON THE UNIT DISTINGUISHED IT AS A REMANUFACTURED UNIT (THE DEALERSHIP ORIGINALLY TOLD ME THAT AN "RM" AT THE END OF THE SERIAL NUMBER WOULD CHARACTERIZE A REMANUFACTURED UNIT AS SUCH AS OPPOSED TO A NEW ONE). NOW, I AM STUCK WITH A "NEW" CAR WITH AN "OLD" TRANSMISSION IN IT. HONDA DID OFFER TO EXTEND THE WARRANTY (YEAH HONDA--THANKS A BUNCH!), BUT IN MY OPINION, DID NOT STAND BY THEIR PRODUCT IN TERMS OF THE ORIGINAL COMMITMENT I MADE TO THEM WITH MY PURCHASE. ASIDE FROM THE MECHANICAL FAILURE, THE TREATMENT I RECEIVED FRO THE REPRESENTATIVES OUT OF THE NORTHEAST REGIONAL OFFICE WAS DEPLORABLE! I HAD NO TRANSPORTATION FOR A WEEK (AFTER THEY PROMISED TO ARRANGE FOR A LOANER AND DID NOT COME THROUGH, LONG DISTANCE PHONE CALLS ACCUMULATING(WHICH I AM STILL WAITING TO BE REIMBURSED FOR), AND A MIS-REPRESENTED TRANSMISSION IN THE CAR I OWN! HOORAY FOR HONDA, AND SCREW ME! IF I HAD TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN, I WOULD NOT FALL FOR HONDA'S HYPE. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HONDA, IN FACT I THINK IT IS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME AND MONEY UNTIL I GET RID OF THIS ONE, AND I AM DEFINITELY SPREADING THE WORD ABOUT THIS UNFORTUNATE DEFECT TO ANYONE WHO WILL LISTEN. INCIDENTALLY, I AM CURRENTLY EXPERIENCING THE HESITATION AND MISFIRING THAT HONDA CLAIMS IS "NORMAL" ON ITS 4-CYLINDER AUTOMATIC MODELS. BELIEVE ME, I KNOW IT IS NOT NORMAL AND MORE PEOPLE NEED TO SPEAK OUT ABOUT HONDA'S SHORTCOMINGS.
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Honda still probably designs and builds the best motors but all manufacturers will occasionally build a bad one.

Don't think the rest of the running gear is much different that most [non-permissible content removed] vehicles
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    SO WHAT WILL YOU BUY NEXT?
  • fjeganfjegan Member Posts: 2
    I have noticed that my new 2000 V6 Honda EX model has a little hesitation a miss when you hit 50mph and above. It was worse when I first got it and we concluded it was a tire problem, so all 4 tires were replaced. That has helped but I still notice this slight miss above 50-maybe it needs to be broken in????? I only have 1300 miles on it. Anyone else experiencing a slightly less than perfect ride in their top of the line car?thanks-jack
  • pblevinepblevine Member Posts: 858
    I too have a '98 Accord Coupe EX V6 and have not had any problems. And yes, even Honda (or any company) will produce a few lemons. I can live with that, but YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO. Please check the 'Lemon Laws' in your state and see a lawyer. All of the problems you documented above should have been fixed completed by Honda under warrenty.

Hold their face to the fire and don't give up. And I hope someone from Honda reads these posts. Public perception does affect sales. Honda spent a lot of money and effort to gain a good name. And now some cheap [non-permissible content removed] middle managers are about to wreak that good reputation just to save a few immediate bucks. If Honda wants repeat sales, they will have to make good on their promises. :(
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    I think that the majority of Honda’s are of above-average reliability, with a few lemons in the mix just like everyone else. I do think that Honda is riding their reputation a bit right now and not putting out the same quality of vehicle that they used to (early 90’s or so.) This is based on my ownership of older and new models with a healthy dose of test driving and driving friends’ vehicles.

I think a major factor is that everyone else has become so much better that Honda is no longer head and shoulders above the rest. When it comes to their bread and butter models, the styling is bland and the cars just don’t seem to be put together as well (again, just a subjective opinion.)

I have also found that there is some arrogance in the sales and service staff that also effects Toyota. A bit of the “...We’re so good that we can treat you like crap...” attitude. (no not you isell :-)) I have encountered this personally and it is more then an isolated incedent. I have found that some sales staff play the reliability card so hard that they forget how to sell the other attributes of the product, also, putting down EVERY other car on the market was rampant when I was shopping. Another thing that Honda is very guilty of is overinflating their projected lease-end values, this gives the buyer an overinflated sense of their cars actual worth, but with a nice low monthly payment. At the end of my Civic lease, the difference between the KBB value of my immaculate car and the lease buyout value was nearly $2000.00. If I had wanted to buy my car out, I could have bought an identical car off the dealer's used lot for less then the buyout of my own car. Nissan does this a lot too.

I wound up getting a 99 VW Passat. I got this car because of it's interior and exterior styling, it's handling and performance, it's 10/100k powertrain warranty and it's overall value for my dollar. When I was cross-shopping this with an Accord EX, 2 different Honda salesman tried their darndest to convince me that the VW would blow up the minute I drove it off the lot. This kind of hard sell is a bit slimy in my opinion and also illustrated how poorly informed some salesman are about the competition.

In my first 12,000+ miles, I have had ZERO problems, which is better then my brand new 96 Civic when I got it. This was the best choice for me, and everyone needs to find the best auto for their needs and budget.

Not a slam on Honda, IMO, they are good cars, just my opinion and experience.
  • zacharylauriezacharylaurie Member Posts: 51
    Wow, there are some amazing stories up here. I had heard that the overall quality of Hondas has decreased, but man it sounds like it has decreased a lot. One question for midtown31 - A two year old car should have few to no rattles in it. My '93 Sable has only a few rattles in it that are only noticeable going over rough terrain. I would expect rattles in a car over 5 years old, but not a car that is only 2 years old.

Sporin,

I completely understand your point about people believing that most non-Japanese cars will die on the way home from the dealership. In the last year I've had my '93 Sable I haven't been stranded anywhere. I have spent $250 on maintenance (much below the ~$600 national average for a year's worth of maintenance.) Some people have been paying too much attention to propaganda from slimy Honda, Toyota, and Nissan dealers (not all are slimy though so don't be offended isellhondas.)
    So true. My parents have been driving GM cars both old and new for the last 20 years and have NEVER been stranded anytime. Virtually no complaints either, they are completely satisfied with GM cars and trucks.
  • pblevinepblevine Member Posts: 858
    Your points about Honda quality have merit. But on the same scale of reliability, the Passat has real quality problems. Just look up their topics on this forum. Honda has come down a bit, but not as far down as VW. Please, I'm not trying to start an argument. In '98, I very carefully considered the Passat and the Accord Coupe.

I loved the Passat's handling and will not dis it. I found the salespeople in VW and the second Honda dealership I visited (Paragon in NY) to be both professional and knowledgeable. No one every tried to con me. Well, I came well prepared and even carried fact sheets and a notebook. I picked the Accord due to price and reliability. And I think I was correct!

If you don't agree, just go to: www.hamsterdance.com.

Have a Happy!
    Oh, no harm taken, everyone needs to weigh their needs and wants.

I would disagree that the "Passat has real quality problems." I have seen no REAL data to back that up. People who post in these forums are a VERY small sampling of the Passat owners of the world and complaining is a huge part of what this site is for.

I had heard so many people talking about VW's electrical problems, and their tranny problems, etc, but when I started really digging into enthusiast's sites and talking to people on the street, the responses were quite good. I took a "chance" and have had 12k+ 100% trouble free miles to show for it.

It was the right decision for ME, but it might not be for others and I strongly support everyone's right to choose the best vehicle FOR THEM. You are "correct" for YOU, so I agree FOR YOU. I am happy you like your Accord, I almost bought one myself.

Great hamsters :-)
  • kathe1kathe1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 accord v-6,with 700 miles on it.When I back up I get a noise that sounds like a power lumbar motor. It lasts about 1 second.I cannot pinpoint the location. Any simular problems for anyone? Otherwise car has run just fine!
    I don't think there are really any "bad" cars out there. Some, though are certainly better than others.

Everybody in the business, myself included had developed certain dislikes based on their experiences.

On our used car lot, there are a few makes I try to steer people around. These are the makes that have given me headaches or caused me embarrasment in the past.
  • urchin34urchin34 Member Posts: 70
    Actually, it looks as if this topic is about as dead as my Honda. If you still check in here, either dump that baby now or be as aggressive as you can in pursuing the lemon laws. Sounds like you have the 1998 version of my 1990 Lemon. Since Honda claims they are so rare, it seems we ought to be able to at least sell them to collectors.

Seriously though, I had nothing but problems with my Honda for nine years. It left me stranded close to a hundred times, and they just kept replacing batteries (5 in 6 years). I was towed from a car wash, from the middle of a freeway in rush hour, and stranded in an intersection in 110 degree heat with two small children. I had about the same number of other problems that you had with all the other "non-essential" parts of the car (trunk leak, trunk latch, air conditioner 2 times, heater two times, vents 4 times, moldings, door panel, visors, seat belt, etc), as well as the transmission, engine mounts (2 sets in 80,000 miles), CV joints (also two sets), brakes (master cylinder, leaking rear cylinders), etc and last but not least, the faulty main fuel relay that had left me stranded all those times. Yep, only took them 8 years to find the problem and then charge me full price to repair it. I cannot remember one time since I drove it off the lot that everything was working or not broken. My friends use to joke that they felt like they owned a Honda because of the number of times they had to pick me up there. From the beginning, Honda refused to stand behind the product. Ultimately, the Honda dealer just refused to service me.

So do everything you can do to get out of that Lemon. I kept thinking things would get better -- WRONG, WRONG,WRONG. Apparently a lemon is a lemon and you just need to ditch it. Otherwise it will consume you. Just imagine sitting in 110 degree heat never knowing if your car will start or and having everyone just assume that if you are late to an appointment, it is because the car won't start. The jokes at work about this car have been incredible. Probably because of my own experience, you will not find another Honda in the parking lot where I work with about 100 other people. There are at least 12 new 1999 and 2000 cars out there, ranging all the way from a Suzuki Swift and Ford Focus to a Buick Park Avenue and a Ford Tahoe. Nope not a Honda in the bunch. There are three new Isuzu Rodeos (identical to the Honda Passport), though, and each of those owners might have considered Honda except for the Lemon in the parking lot.
  • reddogsreddogs Member Posts: 353
    Sounds like you were doing something to the car, urchin34, what was the 'original' problem? In FLA the Honda dealers roll out the red carpet and give you every perk they can think of to keep the customer happy. Any one that buys one, comes back for their next one right to Honda because their is no other dealer with better service.
    Toyota's is good and Mitsubishi is nice but they still don't reach the same level, as for the others:

My buddy is a Mercedes mechanic, and owners get down on their knees and teary eye when he tells them he MIGHT be able to SCHEDULE them in the coming months, since the dealers can't. My brother has a BMW and they want a small fortune
    just to look at it much less actually fix it, its
    still sitting out on his front lawn, while his new Honda takes him to work and play.

Mitsubishi Montero Sports seem to have transmission problems but the
    dealers are mainly new or just starting up so it's
    hard to tell how good their service will be. As
    for the Nissan Pathfinder/& or XTerra look out for
    transmission or head gasket nightmares down the
    road, and I got thrown off a Nissan lot just for ASKING about the service to my vehicle (yes I actually owned a few). Toyota's are " bullet proof", they never die. I've got rid of a few when they got past 100,000 miles because I was use to GM vehicles, imagine when I saw them later with a tuneup and with a fresh coat of paint driving just like new.

When you buy a vehicle, the dealer/service come
    with it and at least down here in FLA, TOYOTA &
    HONDA give the best service and then there's
    the rest.
  • isell_mitsus1isell_mitsus1 Member Posts: 23
    Just ignore urchin... I have seen customers like that.

If you had SO many problems why did you keep it 9 years. I know I would have gotten out of the car as soon as it was paid for or when I knew that I would not be upside down in my new car.
  • bayareadriverbayareadriver Member Posts: 4
    Some folks here have mentioned problems with their 2000 EX-V6 , be aware that Honda is in the process of replacing those transmissions, so see your dealer!
    I just don't swallow it..sorry...

There are always two sided to every story!
  • john_mjohn_m Member Posts: 9
    I have a 99 Jetta which has given me 13000+ totally flawless miles on it. Previously I had a 92 Golf which seemed like it loved 4 hour drives, just kept clicking along without a care. Then only problems I incured were new fuel pump at 70k miles, new A/C compressor at 76k, and new power output stage at about 100k. Great car and I'm glad I drive another VW.
  • bayareadriverbayareadriver Member Posts: 4
    If you had your 2000 Accord V6-EX tranny replaced be aware of a NEW problem - the ignition switch doesn't recognize park and wont release the key! So if you've had the tranny replaced and your fighting the key - they have to replace the ignition switch too! It just goes on and on with the new Hondas!!
  • guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    That sounds like a lack of competence of the part of the mechanic who repaired your vehicle bayareadriver. Have you tried getting warranty service at another dealer?

Guitarzan
    Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • ksatbjhksatbjh Member Posts: 14
    These message boards are great for people who want to vent, but can anyone tell me where to get a non-biased opinion? Every place I have looked (J.D. Powers, Consumer Reports, Edmunds, etc.) all rate both Honda and Toyota as leaders in dependability and quality even in the most recent models. Would I see even more complaints in the maintenance forums of other makes/models? Are there any independent sources that rate Honda at the bottom.
    I am the current and only owner of a 92 Toyota Corolla and am considering replacing it with an Accord or Camry. The Corolla's only maintenance problem has been that its red paint began oxidizing pretty badly when it was about 3 years old. Toyota would do nothing about it. Due to a wreck my wife was in when the car was 6 months old, the front end has a local body shop's paint on it. That paint still looks like new after 8 years - wish Toyota would get their formula.
  • garthgarth Member Posts: 66
    One source of non-biased proof of Honda's quality, or lack thereof, could be the company's recall history. You can research this on the web; compare the number of recalls on a typical Honda vehicle to another make. This won't give you the complete picture, but it is surely more objective than any one individual's rants or raves.
  • dcm3dcm3 Member Posts: 5
    my immediate family has bought no less than nine hondas in the last ten years. a friend of the family used to work at a honda dealership and gave us great deals on new cars, etc. i recently bought my first new car, a 2000 civic ex coupe, and have to say i bought the honda because i know it is worth the money and will be a great car. Sure, some cars have problems from the start. some have problems later... buy a car you feel confident in and take of it. my last car, a 94 honda passport (which is just an isuzu rodeo in disguise with honda brakes) was supposed to have horrible reliability - i dorve it for 75000 miles without a single problem except for the replacement of three power window regulators which honda reimbursed me for (happened at 50000 miles, all three in a month!) after i wrote them a letter explaining it must be a bad part, and they should fess up to it. they bit the bill and took responsibility for the isuzu's shady quality. the 94 passport was a good car because i took care of it in everyway. of the other seven hondas our family has owned recently, some were leased, some were bought and sold, some only had a few thousand miles them, others had over one-hundred thousand miles. they all ran great, protected occupants in crashes, though none were severe, etc. the only problem i recall was an automatic transmission problem on a 93 accord at about 80000 miles. it costs a few hundred dollars to fix. that's it. nine hondas (five accords, two civics, one passport, and one crv) and only those problems. i hear that hondas are favorite with thieves - only one accord was ever stolen, and that was in LA. it was recovered the next day. i do plan to put an alarm in mine because of where i live - better safe than sorry.

as for other makes of cars, my family has had two ford explorers, both for short periods of time - 20000 max each. my dad likes them and they never had a problem, although i noticed the 99 he got was less equipped in the same trim level as the previous one. other cars in the family are a 94 cadillac de ville (seldom driven by my grandparents...no problems - 60000), an early 90's bmw 5 series (awesome car, worth very penny - 50000 no problems except no cup holder in front), and a 99 mercedes C300 or something (under 10000 miles, drives like a dream, buttons on dash can be confusing at first until you realize the car can do anything with the push of a button, and you want to learn how to use it all - doesn't have the sporty ride of the beemer though).

i thought this info might help some of you. common sense goes along way these days. find a 98 maxima for $8000? it's probably full of problems. buying a hyundai because you want a car to drive two hundred thousand miles? good luck! buy a car new if you can, that way you know the history of it from day one and can get rid of it if need be. don't buy a car that's been wrecked or had a front end collision. these accidents are a breeding ground for problems that "hide" from you and mechanics...until the transmission drops at 80 on the highway.

items like brakes, transmissions, pumps, etc on cars run all the time/are under extreme pressure or force...in other words, expect these things to go bad at some point. later than you expect? good piece of equipment. breaks earlier than it should? think about repairs versus getting rid of the car before more problems arise. buying/selling/trading-in a car is easier than most people think. i'm only 24 and i got a new one with my own money and credit and trade-in. one thing i've learned is that you are never "stuck" with a car unless you want to be.

sorry that was so long.
    forgot to say this in the above posting... of the nine hondas, eight were bought new and one was bought used with 40000 miles (the 93 accord that developed a minor transmission problem).
  • black_tulipblack_tulip Member Posts: 435
    "Every place I have looked (J.D. Powers, Consumer Reports, Edmunds, etc.) all rate both Honda and Toyota as leaders in dependability and quality..."

You must not have looked very hard. For
    example, I am looking at JD Powers 1998
    vehicle dependability study, based on problems
    per 100 vehicles. Lexus tops the list
    with 167 problems, Honda is #12 on that
    list with 341 problems. Hardly the leader.
    And, yes, a few domestics (Lincoln and Oldsmobile)
    beat it too.

If you do not believe me, here is the URL:
    http://www.jdpower.com/releases/80401car.html
  • dhuet2000dhuet2000 Member Posts: 3
    This list is of those cars that scored better than the average of 399. Honda is number 12 and just below BMW which is a car that costs a lot more than a Honda. All the others except for Oldsmobile and Toyota are luxury cars that cost a lot more than Hondas (Even Toyotas cost more than the equivalent Hondas)
    The one number that did not make sense to me was the Oldsmobile number. I have driven no less than 6 Oldmobiles Aleros and Intrigues for the last year and a half (monthly rentals that had less than 5,000 miles -- some with less than 500 miles) and every single one had a problem. They were fun cars to drive and comfortable (great for a rental car that you can beat up), but their finish and overall quality could not be compared to the Honda. The Alero costs around the same as an Accord, and the Intrigue is more expensive. Perhaps these numbers are based mainly on the Aurora which is a much more expensive car. In fact, I believe the Alero and Intrigues did not come out until 1998 or 1999.
  • sable93sable93 Member Posts: 107
    dcm3,

Do you really think that 3 power window regulators going bad constitutes calling Isuzu "shady?" My dad's '91 Accord wagon had the power antenna brake several times and the heat control broke several times too. He actually had to pay several hundred dollars for these problems. I don't think that constitutes the Accord a bad car. It just has a few problem areas. It sounds like the Rodeo/Passport is the same way.
    sable93, and to everyone else: the "shadiness" with which i refer to isuzu does not come from me. personally, i was VERY happy with my car despite the outdated interior. here's why... three people i knew bought a brand new honda passport/isuzu rodeo during the five years i had mine. all three of them got rid of the car before they had owned it one-year. they were all bought new, and before the recent redesign of the car. each one of them said to me something to the effect of, "wow, you haven't had any problems? my blah blah broke, the blah doesn't work, this or that fell off, etc." i felt lucky to have a car without the problems they had. i even ran my passport up to 70000 before changing the timing belt - recommended change is at 60000. for the record, i think isuzu makes great trucks as far as i have experienced. my passport was fun onroad and offroad - in snow or mud, skiing or otherwise. but, after real world trials, i hear i am one of few.
    I don't think cost is an issue here. The popular opinion seems to be that Hondas
    are the most reliable, period. This is not
    supported by the JDP study I quoted.
  • butch11butch11 Member Posts: 153
    JDP is in the business of selling "research" results - if a manufacturer wants a number, JDP is paid to develop a number the manufacturer can use to sell his/her vehicle.

Having spent several years in market research for a major consumer products company, let me tell you, research studies can be designed to get about whatever result you want. Just follow the money - whomever pays gets what they want. This same caution applies to "research" and particularly car of the year selections done by various publications. Follow the money.

Whenever I see such "research" used to sell something, I grin and wonder how many people make purchase decisions based on that information. It must work-these people continue to churn out the numbers.
    I know studies are not perfect but are
    better than nothing. What do you use
    when you want to find the reliability of
    an automobile?
  • reddogsreddogs Member Posts: 353
    I know how the statisticions hate that, "oh my, how unscientific" but if you go to the KIA postings of owners more than 2-3 years you can see they all start having the SAME type of reliability problems. If a problem is random you should never see it in MULTIPLE owners, if the problem is from owner abuse then it shows up in multiple problems of THAT owner (ie....brakes, suspension, wheels, etc...).
  • nismoskylinenismoskyline Member Posts: 6
    Interesting to note that one of the factors JDP uses to evaluate the dependability of a vehicle is the "perception" of quality, regardless of actual maintenance & repair data.

Specifically, JDP says they rate the actual level of problems experienced to what the respondents expected. In other words, if your Oldsmobile POS didn't have as many problems as you expected it would have, then it's dependability rating goes up! Talk about skewed results.
    It cuts both ways, does it not? In other words,
    Honda scored below Olds because people
    expected a trouble free vehicle(believing in
    the propaganda) and they were disappointed
    when it turned out to be a POS.

Also interesting to note is that the top
    three midsize vehicles in dependability
    belonged to Buick and Olds brands.
    I'd bet many Honda owners expected a perfect car, and the rating suffered if there was a single perceived problem. On the other hand, Olds owners likely expected the same GM POS they've been buying for decades - and GM quality has improved somewhat...
    Look, I am just taking that survey at its
    face value.
    Someone posted that he could not find a single
    survey where Honda was not the leader in dependability. That is why I chose to cite it.

I drive an Accord and have never owned an Oldsmobile. Probably that is a good thing,as
    I am not prejudiced and do not go around
    trying to discredit surveys if Honda does not
    come out on the top.

Enough said.
    my point was that GM/Olds has improved a great deal in terms of quality, while Honda hasn't. That explains the results of a survey of "perceived initial quality," but it doesn't indicate in an objective sense which brand has fewer problems.
    garth,

You do realize that many people expect no problems with their new car regardless of what company made it, don't you?
  • rascal8rascal8 Member Posts: 54
    I don't know if I agree with that. I have always thought that car buyers have differing concepts of what a "problem" is. For example, as a long-time Toyota buyer if my radio volume knob were to fall off I would get upset. As a GM or Chrysler buyer something like this would be a normal occurrence and it would take much more to get me to cry "problem". This theory may sound ridiculous; however, I have experienced this many times when talking about cars with my family and friends. It is just a differing perception of quality to different people.
  • olegphilolegphil Member Posts: 30
    Yes! I know this feeling! I was so pissed replacing open door sensors on my 9 years old Toyota!
    Well, personally, I own a 7 year old Mercury Sable, and if the radio buttons started falling off, or something like that I would be irritated. Maybe I'm unique, but I doubt it.
    Well, Mercury has a pretty good reputation from what I have heard. Although, I looked at a Mercury Cougar before I bought my Toy Celica and was NOT impressed - I didn't even bother test driving the car. The Sable is much better put together I think.
    rascal8,

I will agree with you that Mercurys tend to be more reliable than their Ford counterparts (eg. Sable/Taurus) although they shouldn't be since they are both built on the same assembly line. I think it has a lot to do with the way they are taken care of (average buyer of Sable - 50 yrs old.) (average buyer of Taurus -30 yrs old.)

About the Cougar, too bad you didn't wait a little longer. Ford gave the ok to build the Cougar S. It will be very powerful. I like the Cougar, but it is a bit small for my taste (I loved the last generation Thunderbird.)
    What am I missing here? Early on I advised someone to not make the same mistake I did by keeping a Honda Lemon for nine years. Then you are told to ignore me. Or I am accused of doing something to the car. This is exactly the treatment I came to expect from Honda.

Fact is, this car had every single scheduled maintenance (and then some)for 81,000 miles. I could have lived with any of the many problems, had the car simple started every time I got in, but it didn't, leaving me stranded in all kinds of wierd spots. The car was at the dealer over 30 times (sometimes because parts had to be ordered first), and that does not include oil changes every 2500-3000 miles done by an independent.

Just as the Passport owner above felt lucky to have a model with few problems, I felt very unlucky to have an Accord with so many problems. Facts are facts, and I am just advising anyone with a lemon of any make to exercise his/her rights. Until you have the experience of a real problem vehicle, you will most likely not understand. The dealers were indeed very smooth and polite to me until I really began to complain, at which time they simply refused to service me.
    If you check out this bulletin board, you will find other Honda owners who should "just be ignored". Nothing like sitting in 100 degree heat for 30 minutes waiting for a car to start!
    I feel your pain; however, I think some people (including myself) would rather rely on statistics than a few disgruntled lemon owners. You can get a lemon from ANY manufacturer but as an "informed consumer" one must look at repair and reliability statistics, which I know can be difficult because there is so much bad data out there (e.g. I don't trust JD Powers for one). If I am talking to someone about cars and they say "Uncle Harry had a Toyota in '89 and had nothing but problems, so Toyota's suck" it completely discredits them. They don't know anything about cars and I change the subject.
    What stats do you rely on?
    look at recall histories and TSB histories. these are available on the internet.
This discussion has been closed.