Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,733
    Bradd, have you visited Carriage House Motor Cars across from the Greenwich RR station (adjacent to Lexus)? That'll make you want to empty your 401k account!
    I do that, along with lunch when I attend the Greenwich Concourse.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    Last week, I checked our town on realtor for min 3 bed/2 bath homes for sale in our town(most houses in town fit this criteria). Just over a dozen available for sale. Ordinarily, I would have expected about 50.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,556
    I’m always monitoring realtor.com. My town, and others I am considering moving too. Notice way more pending than in the past, and stuff goes quick.

I happened to check one of the closer in towns (our friends live there) up near Laurasdad recently, since my daughter is moving to Boston.. just about had a heart attack at how high the prices are. Barely anything below 7 figures, and the stuff in the 800s looked like just normal houses. Not sure how anybody gets into those markets now, if you haven’t been riding the appreciation train for a while.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    More fun with KIA- this Stinger was damaged while the dealer was performing the latest recall:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    ^^ Ouch. That must, uh, Sting.

Re. concrete counters, I don't see the attraction. Every one I've ever seen looks like concrete trying to wear a suit, but unable to hide its plebian roots. Plus concrete inevitably cracks over time. And the sealing is an ongoing maintenance item. I'll take quartz, thanks.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    We went with granite countertops when we remodeled the kitchen in 2007. We are still happy that we made that choice.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926
    We had granite in the old house and it held up really well. New house has granite too. I’d rather have quartz but it’s still nice. Only thing I’ve noticed is a little bit of darkening on the edge in front of the sink.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    We got granite 10 years ago when redid the whole kitchen. Still look fine, and we rarely do maintenance. Might go with quartz though next time.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    When I did the 2001 remodel, granite was the ne plus ultra of countertops, followed by Corian (remember that?), then laminate. These days it seems to be variations on quartz (some very expensive), followed by soapstone, concrete, butcher block, then granite and laminate. The boldly-patterned granites seem to have fallen out of favor. That's a big problem with kitchen remodels in that everything has a window of time when it's trendy until it isn't and then becomes a liability. Golden oak cathedral-panel cabinets were the '90s look, now nobody wants them. These days everyone seems to want white kitchen cabinets or failing that, gray, usually shaker-style, with gray paint on the walls. I have to think that trend is going to fade soon too. The one thing I don't understand is the popularity of laminated fake woodgrain cabinets, which I associate with low-end '70s apartment kitchens, now suddenly trendy again in offerings from Ikea and others. I see them even in expensive kitchens. To me that finish looks like what you get in flat-pack assemble-at-home furniture you buy from Amazon or HD.

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    kyfdx said:

breld said:

That GTI should land around $24-$25k.

Dang...if I ever sell another car to a fellow forum member, @kyfdx can vouch that I'm at least fair! :)
    That unit is really loaded, though.. Almost $35K MSRP. And, a year newer.

But, yes, you gave me a good deal. Appears that prices have actually increased over the last year, which is stunning.
    But, but...plaid seats! :)

To be clear, it pleases me to no end that it continues to be a good deal...I would feel bad if the bottom dropped out of the GTI market after our fun transaction.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    edited February 2021
    breld said:

kyfdx said:

breld said:

Dang...if I ever sell another car to a fellow forum member, @kyfdx can vouch that I'm at least fair! :)

But, yes, you gave me a good deal. Appears that prices have actually increased over the last year, which is stunning.

To be clear, it pleases me to no end that it continues to be a good deal...I would feel bad if the bottom dropped out of the GTI market after our fun transaction.
    I wouldn't be worried, either way. It was a good deal at the time. And, I wanted it. The fact that I really like it, and the value has held up is just a bonus. ;)

Plus, NHL game!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Quartz it will be. Because whatever Lola wants...

Stick, I imagine like any metro area, the further away from Boston proper, the (somewhat) lower the price. Of course, the development in Plymouth we've chosen is a high-rent district. But where I currently reside is relatively affordable, collar tends to be a bit bluer than pricey neighboring 'burbs. And, it's the home of the Automile!

Jag dealer lowered the price of the Panamera E by $1k. Only 11 months of warranty left, that is probably a deterrent to me. And, oh year, the price.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,556
    edited February 2021
    kyfdx said:

breld said:

kyfdx said:

breld said:

I wouldn't be worried, either way. It was a good deal at the time. And, I wanted it. The fact that I really like it, and the value has held up is just a bonus. ;)

Plus, NHL game!
    I'm happy the GTI was a good deal too, it had a nice domino effect...
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

someone probably posted this already, but just in case. Is someone still looking for a GTI?https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9A4qAb8j/2019-volkswagen-golf-gti-se?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ending

What do you think of the price so far?
    That would run you $27K+ anywhere else. I'd imagine the reserve is at least 26, if not more.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    kyfdx said:

breld said:

kyfdx said:

breld said:

Plus, NHL game!
    Looking back, that must have been one of the last, if not the last, Avalanche game to be attended.

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,556
    We miss going to hockey games. Sidney Crosby played his 1,000th game with the Penguins recently and I can only imagine how awesome that would have been to have fans in the building. The team recently applied to the state to allow 25% capacity which would be about 4,600 people. No telling what kind of wrangling would need done to get tickets if that's approved so it's more likely we'll need to plan for Fall 2021 to attend.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options

Stick, I imagine like any metro area, the further away from Boston proper, the (somewhat) lower the price. Of course, the development in Plymouth we've chosen is a high-rent district. But where I currently reside is relatively affordable, collar tends to be a bit bluer than pricey neighboring 'burbs. And, it's the home of the Automile!

Jag dealer lowered the price of the Panamera E by $1k. Only 11 months of warranty left, that is probably a deterrent to me. And, oh year, the price.

Yeah. Just seems you need to go a lot further out than Needham.

• Options
    breld said:

kyfdx said:

breld said:

kyfdx said:

breld said:

Plus, NHL game!
    Looking back, that must have been one of the last, if not the last, Avalanche game to be attended.
    That was February 17th

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    pensfan83 said:

We miss going to hockey games. Sidney Crosby played his 1,000th game with the Penguins recently and I can only imagine how awesome that would have been to have fans in the building. The team recently applied to the state to allow 25% capacity which would be about 4,600 people. No telling what kind of wrangling would need done to get tickets if that's approved so it's more likely we'll need to plan for Fall 2021 to attend.

Ohio's Governor is saying 30% attendance for MLB/MLS. But, they haven't given teams specifics.

That's 12,600 for the Reds and about 7,500 for soccer.

If they have to spread throughout the stadium, that's going to be some pretty crappy seats for season ticket holders, that they aren't used to.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    And Arizona couldn't even sell out with covid limits. Move that team to Quebec.
    pensfan83 said:

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    qbrozen said:

someone probably posted this already, but just in case. Is someone still looking for a GTI?https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9A4qAb8j/2019-volkswagen-golf-gti-se?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ending

Looks like the owner had a higher opinion of the car than did the bidders.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

More fun with KIA- this Stinger was damaged while the dealer was performing the latest recall:

Whose car is that? What dealer?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

It belongs to a guy on a FB Stinger Owners group. The dealer was University Kia of Huntsville. They have told the guy that they will fix it, but I'd say its 50/50 at best as to whether it will be repaired properly.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,305
    fintail said:

And Arizona couldn't even sell out with covid limits. Move that team to Quebec.

pensfan83 said:

No, can’t do that. Colorado is using the old Nordiques logo as their throwback jerseys as this is their 25th season in Denver.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    @Michaell,
    Those throwback jerseys the Hurricanes have used really pi** off people from CT.
  • Options

@Michaell,
    Those throwback jerseys the Hurricanes have used really pi** off people from CT.

You haven't seen pi** off people until you see the ones in Quebec City.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    @ab348,
    This aticle was in the local paper 2 days ago.
    https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp-hartford-whalers-carolina-hurricanes-jersey-reaction-20210220-nkdspzszabcvdkkupcwcdrxrcu-story.html

One of my kids gave me this banner for xmas in 2019.

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,882
    kyfdx said:

pensfan83 said:

Ohio's Governor is saying 30% attendance for MLB/MLS. But, they haven't given teams specifics.

That's 12,600 for the Reds and about 7,500 for soccer.

If they have to spread throughout the stadium, that's going to be some pretty crappy seats for season ticket holders, that they aren't used to.
    Our minor league team just released their schedule. My ticket rep called and said they were leaving 6 seats between people so they didn't know where my tickets would be.

I reminded him that I have had season tickets for quite a while, they are pre-paid, my seats are on an aisle, and they are in the last row of the section. He didn't seem to get it.

We will see.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    It'd take more than a season to get it going, Avs can have it this season. I have to agree that some of these throwback logos can be seen as a slap in the face to the prior city.

Those jerseys sure looked good on the ice in the Lake Tahoe game though, flashbacks to good old 90s hockey - just needed Forsberg diving and Claude turtling B)
    Michaell said:

No, can’t do that. Colorado is using the old Nordiques logo as their throwback jerseys as this is their 25th season in Denver.

• Options
    @fintail,
    Hockey fans from Hartford hate Claude.
    Did you ever see that episode of Pro's against Joe's with Claude where he knocked the Joe guy's teeth out?
  • Options
    I think everyone but Avs fans hate Claude. I never saw that, but as a Wings fan back in the day, I recall his hit on Draper, and then that amazing game in March 1997 when the score was (mostly) settled.

@fintail,
    Did you ever see that episode of Pro's against Joe's with Claude where he knocked the Joe guy's teeth out?

• Options
    Also the old school Seattle Thunderbirds colorway.

One of my kids gave me this banner for xmas in 2019.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    @fintail,
    It's use of the great logo that gets under people's skin the most.
    Kind of like Hartford's baseball teams' new logo. :D

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    Must have taken a wrong turn at Alba-coy-key - thought I was in the CCBA forum :o .
  • Options

It belongs to a guy on a FB Stinger Owners group. The dealer was University Kia of Huntsville. They have told the guy that they will fix it, but I'd say its 50/50 at best as to whether it will be repaired properly.
    They must have done the repair with a chainsaw.

• Options
    @carnaught,
    I bought a new vehicle a month ago. How about you? ;)
    I do get your point, though.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    @breld

At the rate you flip cars, I’d stay away from the M2 with the dirty Carfax. Even if it was shipped back to the factory to have the bumper fixed.

The Grey is nice. I don’t think you’ll enjoy it as much as the Supra. Not to be an enabler, but I did see a Miata RF in that blue this AM. It was very nice.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    fintail said:

I think everyone but Avs fans hate Claude. I never saw that, but as a Wings fan back in the day, I recall his hit on Draper, and then that amazing game in March 1997 when the score was (mostly) settled.

@fintail,

I remember that game; wasn’t that the one where Patrick Roy and the Wings goalie got into it, as well?

You think the Winnipeg Jets will ever wear the old Atlanta Thrashers logo as a throwback?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    edited February 2021
    nyccarguy said:

@breld

At the rate you flip cars, I’d stay away from the M2 with the dirty Carfax. Even if it was shipped back to the factory to have the bumper fixed.

The Grey is nice. I don’t think you’ll enjoy it as much as the Supra. Not to be an enabler, but I did see a Miata RF in that blue this AM. It was very nice.

Yeah, I wouldn’t consider the one with the hit on the Carfax even if it could be explained away. I’ve just been staring at those pics all day since the dealership doesn’t have pics up yet if their identical M2. :)

• Options
    now that I have started kinda looking (well, thinking about and considering) there really isn't anything at the moment that actually is reaching out, calling my name. Good thing I am doing it way early. Might take a while to decide!

might have my son leaning toward the Jetta again. He sent me a link to a CLS convertible, and mentioned how he always really liked a 240i convertible. But that was too limited functionally to be his only car. But, getting a cheaper winter/beater car would allow him to even get a 2 seat convertible or true sports car to go with it. Plus, he would not have to rush into a new lease right around christmas, especially if it was going to be a less than winter friendly car, if he got mine instead.

may just pass the poor thing around the family!

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Was thinking of getting the new iPhone 12 Mini. Stopped by the AT&T store after work to check it out. I wanted to pick it up but it was bolted to the table with the other iPhones. They sales guy said too many of them have been stolen so now, bolted in. Told him I need to hold it in my hands to see how much smaller it is but he just gave me this dumb look. Currently have the XR and the new Mini is a smaller screen phone and not something I think I really want. But will go to Target or the Apple store to really get a feel for it.
    I have someone who wants my phone plus $495 to buy his new 12 Mini, basically giving me $200 for mine but just not sure yet if I'll even consider it. The XR is a very good unit, even the AT&T sales guy agreed with me on that. Have had it two years the end of the week but think I'll miss the screen size. I'd be going from a 6.1" screen down to a 5.4" one which I'm thinking is just too much of a downsize. The new iPhone 12's are 5G compatible but not sure our current plan will support 5G. Will probably keep what I got for the time being to be honest and save the cash.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    edited February 2021
    That was the one. Real bad blood between those teams, and it lasted for years. Nothing nearly like that these days. When I was young, I'd snark at oldsters going on about "old time hockey". Now, here I am.

If Winnipeg did that, it would just be to troll people in Atlanta. Calgary could do it to Atlantans too.
    Michaell said:

I remember that game; wasn’t that the one where Patrick Roy and the Wings goalie got into it, as well?

You think the Winnipeg Jets will ever wear the old Atlanta Thrashers logo as a throwback?

• Options
    Twitter/online trolling is a big thing today. The team at my college also used the Whalers colorway.

A game used Whalers jersey is worth good money today.

@fintail,
    It's use of the great logo that gets under people's skin the most.
    Kind of like Hartford's baseball teams' new logo. :D

• Options
    stickguy said:

Generally, inside 128 is higher rent district. Between 128 and 495, can get more "reasonable,"depending upon town. Outside of 495, well, that's New York state! ;)

• Options
    that's why I start looking in NH and work west.

• Options
    fintail said:

That was the one. Real bad blood between those teams, and it lasted for years. Nothing nearly like that these days. When I was young, I'd snark at oldsters going on about "old time hockey". Now, here I am.

If Winnipeg did that, it would just be to troll people in Atlanta. Calgary could do it to Atlantans too.

Michaell said:

I moved to Colorado a couple of years before the Avs arrived. Was a “meh” fan of the Kings when I lived in LA, but really got into it, since the Avs were such a good team. Trading for Roy put them over the top.

I still vividly remember watching the last game of the Cup finals, when Uwe Krupp scored the winning goal in over time.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options

stickguy said:

Generally, inside 128 is higher rent district. Between 128 and 495, can get more "reasonable,"depending upon town. Outside of 495, well, that's New York state! ;)
    Funny, my old office in Boston was just east of 495, on Route 9 (literally, on the southeast corner of the interchange). Hotel was on the west side of the highway.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    Paperwork did not arrive. I checked tracking last night at 10:30 and it still said “by end of day.” Checked again this morn and now reads “no projected delivery available.” I see it somehow wound up in TN at 3:30am. Good grief, you really can’t get good help these days!

On the transport front, the company I signed with has yet to confirm a date and time for pickup. So I relisted with Uship last night to restart the hunt. What a mess.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    edited February 2021
    qbrozen said:

Paperwork did not arrive. I checked tracking last night at 10:30 and it still said “by end of day.” Checked again this morn and now reads “no projected delivery available.” I see it somehow wound up in TN at 3:30am. Good grief, you really can’t get good help these days!

On the transport front, the company I signed with has yet to confirm a date and time for pickup. So I relisted with Uship last night to restart the hunt. What a mess.

Everything to do with shipping is a mess right now.

I deal with it everyday in my work and my wife runs an international logistics department... I won’t dare bore you all with the details of the mess that area is in.

• Options

Was thinking of getting the new iPhone 12 Mini. Stopped by the AT&T store after work to check it out. I wanted to pick it up but it was bolted to the table with the other iPhones. They sales guy said too many of them have been stolen so now, bolted in. Told him I need to hold it in my hands to see how much smaller it is but he just gave me this dumb look. Currently have the XR and the new Mini is a smaller screen phone and not something I think I really want. But will go to Target or the Apple store to really get a feel for it.
    I have someone who wants my phone plus $495 to buy his new 12 Mini, basically giving me $200 for mine but just not sure yet if I'll even consider it. The XR is a very good unit, even the AT&T sales guy agreed with me on that. Have had it two years the end of the week but think I'll miss the screen size. I'd be going from a 6.1" screen down to a 5.4" one which I'm thinking is just too much of a downsize. The new iPhone 12's are 5G compatible but not sure our current plan will support 5G. Will probably keep what I got for the time being to be honest and save the cash.

You can’t go down in screen size. I had a 7+ and upgraded to a 12 Pro Max, love the added screen.

My work phone is a standard IPhone 8, the screen feels so small when I go between the phones.