Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    Sounds like phone screen size is like addictive drugs. Those canny techboys know how to hook people. The industry must be pure evil. Where's the government intervention and TV public service campaigns??? :D

I've got the new iPhone SE which is apparently a Pleistocene-era screen size. Works for me since I don't live on it, lots of days I don't even pick it up.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Phone size? I don't like the ever larger units. I want to be able to hold it in one hand, and have it fit in my front pocket. Not be carrying around an iPad.

And don't get me started on the mail. Wife and I had to send in for passport renewals (you know, in case we can travel again before we die). Went to the PO, got the forms, got some pictures, took it all back up last Wednesday. They said to spend the $ for priority mail for tracking and quick delivery. So we did. Supposed to arrive Friday. Mine went out first (wife needed a replacement picture taken at AAA) and hers a couple hours later. Just going to Philly (roughly 15 miles away).

mine got to Philly main distribution center Thursday. Hers did not arrive until Saturday morning there. But went right out to the local PO and delivered later on Saturday. Mine sat saying "in transit" from Thursday to 3:00 AM today, when it arrived at the local PO and 2 hours later shown as delivered. I was about ready to give up and file for my $50 insurance, and figure out how to request a replacement!

Now hopefully they make it back to us, because no one on the passport office end tracks that.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

More fun with KIA- this Stinger was damaged while the dealer was performing the latest recall:

Whose car is that? What dealer?
    It belongs to a guy on a FB Stinger Owners group. The dealer was University Kia of Huntsville. They have told the guy that they will fix it, but I'd say its 50/50 at best as to whether it will be repaired properly.
    How in the hell did they do that? How stupid was their mechanic to not put a rubber cover on the ¼ panel while the hood was up?

Said it before....my Stinger is a great car. All (save for one) the dealers are imbeciles around here.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    Sandy, just go to an Apple store if you have one nearby that is open. They don't have anything bolted down to a table. I'm not sure I can deal with the largest screen they offer, but I do plan to upgrade to something the size of an XR or the standard Pro (not the Mini), coming from an iPhone 6s.

Very impressed that my almost six year old phone still runs the current OS (I don't think most Android phones get official version upgrades for that long) and still completes most tasks very well, plus Carplay works great. There are some issues with responsiveness with some notifications / apps, and very quick battery drain if you are viewing a resource intense webpage, plus I'd like a better camera, so I definitely think it's time for an upgrade.
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Quartz it will be. Because whatever Lola wants...

Stick, I imagine like any metro area, the further away from Boston proper, the (somewhat) lower the price. Of course, the development in Plymouth we've chosen is a high-rent district. But where I currently reside is relatively affordable, collar tends to be a bit bluer than pricey neighboring 'burbs. And, it's the home of the Automile!

Jag dealer lowered the price of the Panamera E by $1k. Only 11 months of warranty left, that is probably a deterrent to me. And, oh year, the price.

Yeah. Just seems you need to go a lot further out than Needham.
    Generally, inside 128 is higher rent district. Between 128 and 495, can get more "reasonable,"depending upon town. Outside of 495, well, that's New York state! ;)
    Funny, my old office in Boston was just east of 495, on Route 9 (literally, on the southeast corner of the interchange). Hotel was on the west side of the highway.
    Remember that corridor well. Used to fly into Logan every other week. Rent a car, drive up the technology corridor to Marborough, Acton, etc. Do my meetings over two days. Drive back to Boston and fly home.

When Spring came around, would bring the fam with me and we’d stay in Boston for the weekend to do the historical stuff and eat some of the best seafood this side of Italy.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497

@carnaught,
    I bought a new vehicle a month ago. How about you? ;)
    I do get your point, though.

Haven’t bought a new vehicle in some time, probably the longest I’ve ever gone. That said, being a member of the CCBA, I am ALWAYS looking.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Stick, I imagine like any metro area, the further away from Boston proper, the (somewhat) lower the price. Of course, the development in Plymouth we've chosen is a high-rent district. But where I currently reside is relatively affordable, collar tends to be a bit bluer than pricey neighboring 'burbs. And, it's the home of the Automile!

Jag dealer lowered the price of the Panamera E by $1k. Only 11 months of warranty left, that is probably a deterrent to me. And, oh year, the price.

Generally, inside 128 is higher rent district. Between 128 and 495, can get more "reasonable,"depending upon town. Outside of 495, well, that's New York state! ;)
    Funny, my old office in Boston was just east of 495, on Route 9 (literally, on the southeast corner of the interchange). Hotel was on the west side of the highway.
    Remember that corridor well. Used to fly into Logan every other week. Rent a car, drive up the technology corridor to Marborough, Acton, etc. Do my meetings over two days. Drive back to Boston and fly home.

When Spring came around, would bring the fam with me and we’d stay in Boston for the weekend to do the historical stuff and eat some of the best seafood this side of Italy.
    Wife and step kids came with me to Boston once. We were able to take in a whale watching tour and a side trip to the Mystic (CT) Aquarium. While I was working they took a guided tour of the historical sites in Boston.

Always hit Legal Seafood on route 9 in Natick every trip. All of my traveling there was during the Big Dig - getting out of Logan and onto the Mass Pike was an adventure.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

rayainsw said:

Hello all. It has been a long time since I last posted - or even read the Forum.
    Hope everyone is doing well.
    One year now with the M340i - just over 12,000 miles.
    No issues - still enjoy every drive!
    - Ray
    Only 2 more years on the lease :-)

Hi Ray, nice to see you. I remember the pics of that beautiful car that you posted. Glad it's going well.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    rayainsw said:

Hello all. It has been a long time since I last posted - or even read the Forum.
    Hope everyone is doing well.
    One year now with the M340i - just over 12,000 miles.
    No issues - still enjoy every drive!
    - Ray
    Only 2 more years on the lease :-)

I’ve driven a few, but they have all had xDrive. I don’t need anything that big or else a RWD M340i would be at the top of my short list.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    edited February 2021
    25 years ago now, think about that :)

Speaking of phones, I use a Note 20 Ultra. I've used the Galaxy Note line since the beginning, as I liked the stylus, and I am a somewhat tall/big person with a proportionate head, so a big phone fits me when I actually use it for talking. The big screen is also good for other tasks. The Note 20 is excellent in all ways but one - the camera is frustrating for indoor/close-up use, worst focus/depth of field and overprocessed colors I've experienced in a modern phone camera.
    Michaell said:

I moved to Colorado a couple of years before the Avs arrived. Was a “meh” fan of the Kings when I lived in LA, but really got into it, since the Avs were such a good team. Trading for Roy put them over the top.

I still vividly remember watching the last game of the Cup finals, when Uwe Krupp scored the winning goal in over time.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

My current office, to which I plan no regular return, is also on Rte. 9, immediately off 128. I enjoyed lunch hour/after work trips to the Natick Mall (now "Collection") and Sherwood Plaza. As well as a few car dealers along the way!

Earlier, we looked in Hopkinton, a small lakeside condo complex just off 495. But, not as to her liking as The Pinehills in Plymouth. So, south we go!

NH is lovely, lakes and mountains galore. And no income or sales tax!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Nice looking neighborhood. I’d like Alan active 55+ community. But I know the wife would never go for a condo building design. Prefer a single with small yard, but might be able to sell her on a twin/carriage house design.

Our provincial govt announced their first set of incentives for purchase of full electric/PHEV cars this week. They are going to offer a $3000 provincial incentive which is on top of a $5000 federal incentive. But there is a catch, which is that the provincial money is only offered on cars under $55,000. Just for laffs I built a Mach-E yesterday and the model one level up from entry-level came in at $71K Canadian, so it would be out. As it is though, some clueless politicians on the other side are saying that the gov should not be subsidizing "rich people" to buy an electric, even one like a Kona. And the beat goes on...

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    ab348 said:

Our provincial govt announced their first set of incentives for purchase of full electric/PHEV cars this week. They are going to offer a $3000 provincial incentive which is on top of a $5000 federal incentive. But there is a catch, which is that the provincial money is only offered on cars under $55,000. Just for laffs I built a Mach-E yesterday and the model one level up from entry-level came in at $71K Canadian, so it would be out. As it is though, some clueless politicians on the other side are saying that the gov should not be subsidizing "rich people" to buy an electric, even one like a Kona. And the beat goes on...

Yeah, that's the thing about behavioral incentives.... it doesn't have a darn thing to do with assumptions about the taxpayer's level of wealth. If you're trying to incent a certain behavior (e.g., buying EVs over ICEVs), you start with the people who are willing to buy now (whomever they may be).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    I'll get up to the Apple store in Boca possibly this weekend. But as of now, keeping my XR and will only get the 6.1 12 if I decide to make a move. Like the blue color so that'll be my first choice. My last two have been white so want something with more color. Agree that going to a smaller screen might be an issue and have gotten used to the 6.1 screen on my XR.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Personally, I have no problem linking it to MSRP. Too much tax policy already coddles a certain level, compared to other developed countries. A nice tax break on trendy ego items seems like a bit much sometimes (especially if there's still an ICE vehicle in the garage).
    xwesx said:

Yeah, that's the thing about behavioral incentives.... it doesn't have a darn thing to do with assumptions about the taxpayer's level of wealth. If you're trying to incent a certain behavior (e.g., buying EVs over ICEVs), you start with the people who are willing to buy now (whomever they may be).

edited February 2021
    fintail said:

Personally, I have no problem linking it to MSRP. Too much tax policy already coddles a certain level, compared to other developed countries. A nice tax break on trendy ego items seems like a bit much sometimes (especially if there's still an ICE vehicle in the garage).

xwesx said:

Agreed; I have no issues about the vehicle MSRP to try and bring more of the "mainstream" EV numbers up.

I was referring to @ab348 comment of "some clueless politicians on the other side are saying that the gov should not be subsidizing "rich people" to buy an electric."

In other words, if the goal is to increase the uptake of EVs, then focus on the cars rather than the buyers.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    edited February 2021
    stickguy said:

I don't think they should be giving the incentives anyway. If they are a good value people will buy them. They already get a tax break, not having to pay gas tax, so basically get to use the roads for free!

If the government wants to up the EV take rate, either invest in tech development or build out the infrastructure. Not pay people to buy stuff.

Good points and I think we will get there. Eventually. Right now the carrot and stick method may be the answer to increase the take rate. Here in Georgia they did away with many of the incentives that were so large that at one time, the Leaf was so cheap the incentives made the effective monthly payment less than $100. As a results sales of EV’s fell off the cliff.

But I agree, increase the infrastructure and foster tech development so that every EV that’s reasonably priced doesn’t look like a Leaf (sorry @breld) and then you will have something.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    stickguy said:

I don't think they should be giving the incentives anyway. If they are a good value people will buy them. They already get a tax break, not having to pay gas tax, so basically get to use the roads for free!

Well, incentives are given everywhere. Do US consumers pay the true cost for their fuel? According to an IMF study in 2017, the US gave $649 Billion in subsidies to fossil fuels vs about $11 billion for renewables. What about the cost of a carrier group or three, or other externalities like the environmental aspects (I won't bog us down with this too much, but it isn't free)? What does this cost, and do we think it's captured in the federal gas tax of $.183/gal that also supposed to pay for road infrastructure? We choose to believe there are other economic benefits to keeping those costs to the consumer low, so we create a system of breaks and incentives to make that reality. I'm not saying if that is good or bad, just that it costs something.

So, when we say people will buy them when they become a good value, I just wonder what value means. I'm not trying to get anyone riled up here, but when we start talking about incentives vs costs, it just isn't a simple issue.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,254
    The first question I asked myself is, 'I wonder if the fossil fuel market is more than 60 times larger than the renewable market?'
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    There are already subsidies/tax credits for more affluent folks to install chargers, right? No reason that can't trickle down and help others :)

Once the infrastructure exists (if ever, thinking that far ahead isn't how we usually do things), EVs might be better for at least economy-minded drivers. Still won't work for many though, with charging issues especially. As you say, apartments - even if they were free, corporate owners/managers especially will be hesitant to move on it. Condo HOAs will be just as loath to move forward. And for the truly poor, a long ways off.
    ab348 said:

“EVs for the poor! EVs for the poor!”

“Minister, we’ve given the poor their EVs, but they couldn’t drive them because they can’t afford fast chargers and most of them live in apartments anyway.”

“Fast chargers for the poor! Fast chargers for the poor!”

“Minister, the poor people with EVs and fast chargers can’t pay their power bills!”

“I give up.”
    😄

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,254
    @qbrozen,
    Probably better to let someone bring the car to you.
    Watched a story today about the 2nd highway shooting in Detroit area in 24 hours, up to 7 this year.
    Scary part was that the reporter said total for last year is still being calculated! :'(
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Q, sounds like a lot of time and aggravation to lose some money. Next time, just give it to me. I will even buy you lunch!

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Who knows. Maybe I’ll fall in love with it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    qbrozen said:

With so little investment it sounds like a fun ride, under warranty, no worries, fun. Enjoy!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    qbrozen said:

Does not compute.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090
    stickguy said:

Q, sounds like a lot of time and aggravation to lose some money. Next time, just give it to me. I will even buy you lunch!

Seems like Wheeler Dealers, where they don’t factor in the labor cost in their profit or loss calculation.

How much time did you invest into this deal, Q?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

this would have been an decent option for my son. He could do this lease, and buy the Jetta for winter and practical duty, and still be paying less than his current lease. Would probably be able to own both, including insurance, for the same or less per month as just leasing another similar car (340i or another G70)

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Seems like Wheeler Dealers, where they don’t factor in the labor cost in their profit or loss calculation.

Shhhhh. Now you're just being mean. :D
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Oh, hell if I know. But we all know the chase is part of the fun, not part of the work.

Of course, if I drive the car for free for 6 mos, can I really complain?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    ab348 said:

I’m confused. Maybe it’s different in Canada but don’t you miss out on some of the tax credit benefit unless your income is pretty well up there? I mean, if you pay $5,000 in taxes you can’t take a full $7,500 tax credit. Or do they allow carry over of the credit to the next year.

It would seem that EV credits would inevitably be subsidizing rich people.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    ab348 said:

qbrozen said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Oh, hell if I know. But we all know the chase is part of the fun, not part of the work.

And if nothing else, the training you get driving a vehicle having zero outside visibility could lead to a lucrative new career as a submarine captain! :D
    Not Camaro related but reminds me of another movie quote.

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    ab348 said:

qbrozen said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

And if nothing else, the training you get driving a vehicle having zero outside visibility could lead to a lucrative new career as a submarine captain! :D
    I remember when I bought my first Corvette. I thought the same thing. After a few days you adjust. I never had an incident in that car (until some old guy in a Buick pulled out in front of me).

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    qbrozen said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

It didn't seem like you spent as much time with the Camaro as many seem to spend just researching a vehicle.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

qbrozen said:

What sort of rear gears does your have? Those GM pushrods are pretty torquey but any rear end set up higher than 3:55 will make it a rocket off the line. :p

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Wife and step kids came with me to Boston once. We were able to take in a whale watching tour and a side trip to the Mystic (CT) Aquarium. While I was working they took a guided tour of the historical sites in Boston.

Always hit Legal Seafood on route 9 in Natick every trip. All of my traveling there was during the Big Dig - getting out of Logan and onto the Mass Pike was an adventure.
    Remember the Big Dig well. I recall my then wife commenting on how she couldn’t live there because of how convoluted and snail like it was to get through and/or around the Big Dig.
    @qbrozen ...I’ve enjoyed the chase you shared with us. Don’t forget....pics when you get it.

ab348 said:

I’m confused. Maybe it’s different in Canada but don’t you miss out on some of the tax credit benefit unless your income is pretty well up there? I mean, if you pay $5,000 in taxes you can’t take a full $7,500 tax credit. Or do they allow carry over of the credit to the next year.

It would seem that EV credits would inevitably be subsidizing rich people.
    My understanding is that the incentives are credited at the time of purchase against the sale price. It has nothing to do with how much you pay in income taxes.

QB, dumb question, but since you are quite tall, do you even fit in one of them? I am only 6' (but proportionally long torso) and seem to recall having headroom issues.

I guess only on this forum, do we need to ask if you have even ever sat in a car before you buy it 600 miles away and have it shipped home!

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

In 6 months, someone is going to be looking at your swap a lease ad and ask why it has racing slicks on the rear.
    Reminds me of a conversation I had with my dad when I was 16. My first car was a 66 Mustang with a 289 V8 and yes, I wore out a set of rear tires after 6 months. There were some chores performed for free as I recall.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

qbrozen said:

What sort of rear gears does your have? Those GM pushrods are pretty torquey but any rear end set up higher than 3:55 will make it a rocket off the line. :p
    From what I see online, the LT1 comes with a 3.73 limited-slip rear. So yes, light that rocket!

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    edited February 2021
    au1994 said:

nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

In 6 months, someone is going to be looking at your swap a lease ad and ask why it has racing slicks on the rear.
    Reminds me of a conversation I had with my dad when I was 16. My first car was a 66 Mustang with a 289 V8 and yes, I wore out a set of rear tires after 6 months. There were some chores performed for free as I recall.
    And received or should I say benefitted from a stern responsibility 101 lecture!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

stickguy said:

QB, dumb question, but since you are quite tall, do you even fit in one of them? I am only 6' (but proportionally long torso) and seem to recall having headroom issues.

I guess only on this forum, do we need to ask if you have even ever sat in a car before you buy it 600 miles away and have it shipped home!

I’m 6’2” and I fit in a Camaro easily. Getting in and out is something different.