Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    :'(
    ab348 said:

qbrozen said:

Who knows. Maybe I’ll fall in love with it.

What sort of rear gears does your have? Those GM pushrods are pretty torquey but any rear end set up higher than 3:55 will make it a rocket off the line. :p
    From what I see online, the LT1 comes with a 3.73 limited-slip rear. So yes, light that rocket!
    That’s interesting. I guess Chevy didn’t care about gas mileage. Ford in it’s infinite wisdom made 3:31 gears standard with 3:55 optional and 3:73 only available with the performance package. I can get 30 mpg but a Camaro will smoke me. :'(

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031

That’s interesting. I guess Chevy didn’t care about gas mileage. Ford in it’s infinite wisdom made 3:31 gears standard with 3:55 optional and 3:73 only available with the performance package. I can get 30 mpg but a Camaro will smoke me. :'(

As things should be... B)

Seriously, this is a reason why I think QB may keep this car longer than he originally believed. I think he will have too much fun driving it.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,854
    edited February 2021
    Not the whole story on the rear gears. What’s the final drive ratio. I’d suspect it to be similar. That’s what is nice about modern transmissions. You can have a short rear gear but make up for it with tall OD gears.

In theory the opposite of what they did in the late 70s with ultra tall rear gears when we only had 3 speed transmissions.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    qbrozen said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Q, sounds like a lot of time and aggravation to lose some money. Next time, just give it to me. I will even buy you lunch!

Seems like Wheeler Dealers, where they don’t factor in the labor cost in their profit or loss calculation.

How much time did you invest into this deal, Q?
    Oh, hell if I know. But we all know the chase is part of the fun, not part of the work.

Of course, if I drive the car for free for 6 mos, can I really complain?
    He speaks the truth.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

ab348 said:

Our provincial govt announced their first set of incentives for purchase of full electric/PHEV cars this week. They are going to offer a $3000 provincial incentive which is on top of a $5000 federal incentive. But there is a catch, which is that the provincial money is only offered on cars under $55,000. Just for laffs I built a Mach-E yesterday and the model one level up from entry-level came in at $71K Canadian, so it would be out. As it is though, some clueless politicians on the other side are saying that the gov should not be subsidizing "rich people" to buy an electric, even one like a Kona. And the beat goes on...

I’m confused. Maybe it’s different in Canada but don’t you miss out on some of the tax credit benefit unless your income is pretty well up there? I mean, if you pay $5,000 in taxes you can’t take a full $7,500 tax credit. Or do they allow carry over of the credit to the next year.

It would seem that EV credits would inevitably be subsidizing rich people.
    Well, keep in mind you simply need a tax liability of the $7,500 to take full advantage - some mistake that for the check you may have to write at tax time, but that's simply your underpayment of the tax liability.

Rough math, I think if you have $30-40k of taxable income, you'd end up taking full advantage of the incentive.

On that note, there is a new separate bill that was proposed earlier this week that would simply extend the federal incentive for 10 years and have no cap on units sold by manufacturers. It also specifically includes purchases made beginning 1/1/21. It also allows the incentive to be assigned to the finance company, which would theoretically allow the incentive to be provided at purchase, like a lease.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    breld said:

ab348 said:

Our provincial govt announced their first set of incentives for purchase of full electric/PHEV cars this week. They are going to offer a $3000 provincial incentive which is on top of a $5000 federal incentive. But there is a catch, which is that the provincial money is only offered on cars under $55,000. Just for laffs I built a Mach-E yesterday and the model one level up from entry-level came in at $71K Canadian, so it would be out. As it is though, some clueless politicians on the other side are saying that the gov should not be subsidizing "rich people" to buy an electric, even one like a Kona. And the beat goes on...

I’m confused. Maybe it’s different in Canada but don’t you miss out on some of the tax credit benefit unless your income is pretty well up there? I mean, if you pay $5,000 in taxes you can’t take a full $7,500 tax credit. Or do they allow carry over of the credit to the next year.

Well, keep in mind you simply need a tax liability of the $7,500 to take full advantage - some mistake that for the check you may have to write at tax time, but that's simply your underpayment of the tax liability.

Rough math, I think if you have $30-40k of taxable income, you'd end up taking full advantage of the incentive.

On that note, there is a new separate bill that was proposed earlier this week that would simply extend the federal incentive for 10 years and have no cap on units sold by manufacturers. It also specifically includes purchases made beginning 1/1/21. It also allows the incentive to be assigned to the finance company, which would theoretically allow the incentive to be provided at purchase, like a lease.
    Tax brackets are pretty low. 12% up to $80K taxable income (for a married couple), now.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

breld said:

ab348 said:

Tax brackets are pretty low. 12% up to $80K taxable income (for a married couple), now.
    Didn't realize that. I passed all sections of the CPA exam my first go, but scored the lowest on the tax section. :)

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    Today’s link from the kid was to a nice estoril over oyster M340i. Sharp looking. But $64k. Ouch.

Though he’s seriously considering the X3 version instead. More practical as an only car now that he has a house and lots of projects, and ends up being about the same price.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I endorse the X3. It's a sweet vehicle.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,357
    stickguy said:

Today’s link from the kid was to a nice estoril over oyster M340i. Sharp looking. But $64k. Ouch.

Though he’s seriously considering the X3 version instead. More practical as an only car now that he has a house and lots of projects, and ends up being about the same price.

Ouch indeed. BMW pricing has been out of control for years IMHO. Obviously they are getting the numbers though.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

stickguy said:

So is he hinting that you should chip in and help him buy these cars? Just how rich are you?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    kyfdx said:

Excuse me... I feel dizzy... as a Canadian. I need to lie down. :o

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

ab348 said:

kyfdx said:

If you can keep it under $80K, qualified dividend tax rate is 0% (federal)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

stickguy said:

So is he hinting that you should chip in and help him buy these cars? Just how rich are you?
    I supplied cars when he was in college. He makes enough now to buy his own.

ab348 said:

kyfdx said:

Well, premium cost for healthy insurance premiums are probably $15,000/year too. That takes a hit. They get you one way or another.

• greg128greg128 Member Posts: 526
    qbrozen said:

Who knows. Maybe I’ll fall in love with it.

That is possible. Found this review on YT
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES7EkFGMjOc
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    Wait... you’re supposed to try a car before getting it? Huh. How quaint.

Lol. Seriously, no, I didn’t. I sat in one at the autoshow before it was launched. No, I didn’t fit. Well, I fit, just not sitting upright. Is the current gen taller? Maybe? But I did get one without a moonroof, so that should help.

I did own a first-gen 350z, so I have some experience with just closing your eyes and using “The Force” to back out of parking spaces and change lanes on the highway.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Oh, forgot to mention the salesperson was bold enough to send a key with the paperwork. Wow. Lol.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    stickguy said:

It isn't Estoril; its Portimao...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    They sent you a key before receiving the signed paperwork? lol.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    Could have been worse Q. they could have sent you both keys!

stickguy said:

I'll take your word on this one. He said Estoril and it looked like it to me. Dealer just has it listed as "blue" and no shot of the window sticker.

this is the car.

https://bmw.keeler.com/new/BMW/2021-BMW-M340i-latham-ny-acbe70810a0e09af6528f5f3bb124990.htm#

stickguy said:

I loved Estoril and still do, but IMO it got a bit saturated in the market with the F30 especially. I do like the newer blues BMW has come out with, like that Portimao and Phytonic.

Speaking of Estoril, in addition to the M2 I'm looking at (whenever the dealer actually gets to finishing the recon), I'm really drawn to this...

Manual M240i in the PNW

The wood trim seems really unusual for a sporty variant, but I like it.

I suppose if I got serious about it, there's a Seattle contingent here that'd be happy to check it out? :)

when we were looking last year, I found a Phytonic over brown X3. It was gorgeous.

I actually just called BMW Seattle and that M240i has sold. So few want a manual these days, but it does seem that when they do show up those few are very active in buying them.

There is this near identical one, and probably a better value being a 2020...

https://shift.com/car/2020-blue-bmw-2-series/c192997

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    qbrozen said:

I did own a first-gen 350z, so I have some experience with just closing your eyes and using “The Force” to back out of parking spaces and change lanes on the highway.

I know a guy in Washington who was a big fan of using The Force. Until it didn't work and he took out all of the windows along one side of my car with his canoe.... :(
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    qbrozen said:

Oh, forgot to mention the salesperson was bold enough to send a key with the paperwork. Wow. Lol.

Crazy! I've never seen that before...

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    breld said:

I actually just called BMW Seattle and that M240i has sold. So few want a manual these days, but it does seem that when they do show up those few are very active in buying them.

CWP, H-K, Navigation, PDC. I'd be tempted if it was in my neck of the woods!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

It's online. They deliver! Just point, click, ship.

breld said:

CWP, H-K, Navigation, PDC. I'd be tempted if it was in my neck of the woods!
    I'd be more tempted if Shift didn't have a $1,200 service fee.

They do seem to cover the first $200 of shipping, so probably wouldn't cost me more than $1k to get it here to CO.

For kicks, I went through their process to get a trade value for the Supra, but they said they aren't accepting 2020 models on trade. Hmmm, the 2020 M240i must have been an exception? :)

edited February 2021
    stickguy said:

stickguy said:

I'll take your word on this one. He said Estoril and it looked like it to me. Dealer just has it listed as "blue" and no shot of the window sticker.

this is the car.

https://bmw.keeler.com/new/BMW/2021-BMW-M340i-latham-ny-acbe70810a0e09af6528f5f3bb124990.htm#
    It's definitely Portimao; and your son can save at least $12k and buy this fully equipped CPO 2020- without the xDrive buzzkill: M340i

stickguy said:

stickguy said:

this is the car.

LOL 2 of my ex-bosses work there. A bunch of our drivers work as drivers over there as well. If your kid wants touch-less service they’ll sent a guy over in the courtesy car to pick up his.

We once picked up 40 x3s at that dealer. Seems BMW is cheap and didn’t put enough gas in them to make it the 3 miles to our lot.

With my daily browsing of M2/M240i inventory, this M2 seems like a decent deal. Low miles, nice Long Beach Blue color, manual, and clean carfax.

Then you scroll through the pictures....wait for it.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/835417235/overview/

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    Haven't heard of Shift--are they on the west coast? They seem similar to Vroom and Carvana. It appears that Vroom is not really in my area, since I did a search for common vehicles and everything that came up said it had a $699 shipping fee.
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,538
    edited February 2021
    breld said:

With my daily browsing of M2/M240i inventory, this M2 seems like a decent deal. Low miles, nice Long Beach Blue color, manual, and clean carfax.

Ummmm. Yikes.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    edited February 2021
    I was going to point out that BMW Seattle is notoriously over priced and then offer to go look at it for you this weekend, but goodness!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    breld said:

Years ago there was an Edmunds member who absolutely HATED Licardi Ford; she ended every post with, "Licardi Ford sucks."

breld said:

Oh my!

Hmmm... I could go with a few things, but I’ll say a CT ad for a car in FL.

qbrozen said:

Are you sure just Florida?

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    breld said:

You had to make me look at the pictures. Now I can’t I see it.

Who spends $60k on a new car, then do that to it?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

qbrozen said:

Picture from United Kingdom website

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

stickguy said:

stickguy said:

this is the car.

It's definitely Portimao; and your son can save at least $12k and buy this fully equipped CPO 2020- without the xDrive buzzkill: M340i
    I like that one (other than the black interior). But he isn't getting RWD as his only car since he lives up in snow country and does spend time up in the hills.

stickguy said:

stickguy said:

this is the car.

LOL 2 of my ex-bosses work there. A bunch of our drivers work as drivers over there as well. If your kid wants touch-less service they’ll sent a guy over in the courtesy car to pick up his.

We once picked up 40 x3s at that dealer. Seems BMW is cheap and didn’t put enough gas in them to make it the 3 miles to our lot.
    I'll let him know. But he lives close enough to the dealer that I doubt it matters. Actually a big reason he might not get another Genesis is how far away the dealer is. Not an issue with BMW.

Michaell said:

breld said:

You had to make me look at the pictures. Now I can’t I see it.

Who spends $60k on a new car, then do that to it?
    use it as negotiating tool. Just need to save enough to have it taken off and the trunk lid repaired and have some $ left over.

got an Email today from the local BMW dealer (close to TJC) inviting me to the M4 release party in a couple of weeks. I don't think I will be going down on a Tuesday night. But nice to be invited!

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    stickguy said:

got an Email today from the local BMW dealer (close to TJC) inviting me to the M4 release party in a couple of weeks. I don't think I will be going down on a Tuesday night. But nice to be invited!

Probably not enough room in the showroom for the invitees and that grille!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

stickguy said:

On FB one of the salesmen at my BMW dealer posted a picture of a new M4 that just arrived. One guy commented that he really liked it. I replied with a link to Lenscrafters.
    Stone-cold killer. LOL