Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    stickguy said:

my Acura has a brake hold feature. If you turn the switch on, once you come to a complete stop the brakes apply and you can take your foot off. they release as soon as you tap the gas.

I think I have that. I have to put my foot somewhere so I just leave it on the brake pedal.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    driver100 said:

Living out in the middle of nowhere might not be as great as it sounds. Due to circumstances we lived on 100 acres about 20 minutes from town and civilization. It sounds ideal, and I get that it suits some people....but it wasn't for me. Every trip added a 20 minute drive on a busy highway, in each direction. I could do the drive to get to work and home, and then do it again later to go out for the evening. I didn't like having no one around me, felt too isolated. In town, I don't have a need to talk to my neighbors, but I like having civilization around me.

Also hard to go for a walk in the country...at least in town there are sidewalks, roads, lights.

I also like restaurants, grocery stores, doctors offices, dentists etc are 5 minutes away....not 40 minutes round trip.
    I know lots of people love living in the country...but it might not be as ideal as it sounds.

You couldn’t find places to walk on 100 acres? I’m 500 feet from my nearest neighbor and I like it just fine. I’m also only a few miles from work and all the shopping. I was lucky to get my little parcel back when it was just farm country.

My buddy at work was telling me how his condo is next to a crazy neighbor who haunts his every move like an angry stalker. I don’t think I could live like that.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

fintail said:

Some of the house interior would be right at home here , but what a garage. Nice to see a shop doing prewar cars too, has to be getting hard to find.

ab348 said:

This is way beyond my pay grade, but what a beautiful spot. Click through the pictures to see the entirety.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/real-estate/unspecified/unspecified/2467526.html

Wow, that has to be the snobbiest article ever written. Many of those fancy European styles paid homage’ to various old world architectures that existed before America.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544
    venture said:

stickguy said:

my Acura has a brake hold feature. If you turn the switch on, once you come to a complete stop the brakes apply and you can take your foot off. they release as soon as you tap the gas.

I think I have that. I have to put my foot somewhere so I just leave it on the brake pedal.
    I don’t want to learn bad habits so I don’t use those features on either car. Talk about fixing something that ain’t broke.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349

driver100 said:

Living out in the middle of nowhere might not be as great as it sounds. Due to circumstances we lived on 100 acres about 20 minutes from town and civilization. It sounds ideal, and I get that it suits some people....but it wasn't for me. Every trip added a 20 minute drive on a busy highway, in each direction. I could do the drive to get to work and home, and then do it again later to go out for the evening. I didn't like having no one around me, felt too isolated. In town, I don't have a need to talk to my neighbors, but I like having civilization around me.

Also hard to go for a walk in the country...at least in town there are sidewalks, roads, lights.

I also like restaurants, grocery stores, doctors offices, dentists etc are 5 minutes away....not 40 minutes round trip.
    I know lots of people love living in the country...but it might not be as ideal as it sounds.

You couldn’t find places to walk on 100 acres? I’m 500 feet from my nearest neighbor and I like it just fine. I’m also only a few miles from work and all the shopping. I was lucky to get my little parcel back when it was just farm country.

My buddy at work was telling me how his condo is next to a crazy neighbor who haunts his every move like an angry stalker. I don’t think I could live like that.
    My nearest neighbor is over a mile away; if you can't take a leak in your front yard then your neighbors live too close.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

venture said:

stickguy said:

The other issue is what can happen if you get used to brake hold and then get in a car that doesn't have it; it's one of those answers to a question no one asked...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    edited February 2021

driver100 said:

I'm not saying it isn't for everyone...just that some people think it sounds ideal but it isn't what they might think. I didn't like having to get rid of squirrels, and once a possum, I didn't like the sound of frogs croaking. Yes, you can walk in a field, but fields get muddy and snow covered and not much to see.....I prefer urban walks.....but, I know lots of people prefer woods or trails....just pointing it out. In town we can walk in the evening, we have street lights. In the country we had a quarter mile gravel driveway...had to get plowed by our son...sometimes it took awhile to get done. Also people tend to drop off old tires or sofas by the side of the road.
    As we got older I prefer being near a hospital and ambulances will arrive sooner. We didn't have wi-fi at the time but these days internet service outside our town is non existent.
    There are lots of good things too....I am just mentioning things people sometimes don't think about....and there could be a feeling of isolation too....some like that, some might not.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

venture said:

stickguy said:

The other issue is what can happen if you get used to brake hold and then get in a car that doesn't have it; it's one of those answers to a question no one asked...
    Simple, assume the car you are not used to doesn't have it. Safety first, default to safety mode! :p

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

I'm not saying it isn't for everyone...just that some people think it sounds ideal but it isn't what they might think. I didn't like having to get rid of squirrels, and once a possum, I didn't like the sound of frogs croaking. Yes, you can walk in a field, but fields get muddy and snow covered and not much to see.....I prefer urban walks.....but, I know lots of people prefer woods or trails....just pointing it out. In town we can walk in the evening, we have street lights. In the country we had a quarter mile gravel driveway...had to get plowed by our son...sometimes it took awhile to get done. Also people tend to drop off old tires or sofas by the side of the road.
    As we got older I prefer being near a hospital and ambulances will arrive sooner. We didn't have wi-fi at the time but these days internet service outside our town is non existent.
    There are lots of good things too....I am just mentioning things people sometimes don't think about....and there could be a feeling of isolation too....some like that, some might not.
    If croaking frogs get to you, you are definitely a “city feller”. ;)

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    Maybe like how this pays homage to a classic Rolls-Royce

Goofy faux Tudors and 70s Mansard stuff are routinely mocked in the architecture world, I think, along with 21st century travesties.

Wow, that has to be the snobbiest article ever written. Many of those fancy European styles paid homage’ to various old world architectures that existed before America.

I have a modern car with tons of assists and nannies, and an old car with no intrusive tech at all. I never have an issue going between them.

Of course, in the old car with its 2nd gear start, any street with an incline more than about 1/50th of a degree works as a brakeless hold.

fintail said:

Goofy faux Tudors and 70s Mansard stuff are routinely mocked in the architecture world, I think, along with 21st century travesties.

Yikes! That looks like one of those Revel concept car models of what the Stutz Bearcat would have looked like. Funny, since that model Monte Carlo was pretty much over the top to begin with.

I never got the idea of sticking multiple roof peaks on houses to emulate old designs but like that car, somebody, somewhere, will think it looks neat. If it sells they will build it upside down.

fintail said:

Yikes! That looks like one of those Revel concept car models of what the Stutz Bearcat would have looked like. Funny, since that model Monte Carlo was pretty much over the top to begin with.

I never got the idea of sticking multiple roof peaks on houses to emulate old designs but like that car, somebody, somewhere, will think it looks neat. If it sells they will build it upside down.
    They weren’t Revell kits; they were produced by Renwal.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    Back in the first half of the 20th century what I guess was called "Tudor Revival" home designs were quite common. We have some locally and I have seen images of old Hollywood star homes in Beverly Hills that were similar, so I would guess it is a style seen across North America. The one shown in Fin's link is particularly ham-handed in design but the originator of the linked page is being a bit too literal in saying the Tudors were never in N.A. so therefore there should be no such homes either.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    fintail said:
    I'm so old I remember seeing a review of that in one of the car magazines back in the '70s, probably C&D.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

If croaking frogs get to you, you are definitely a “city feller”. ;)
    Yes definitely, croaking frogs make me feel like I am in the Deliverance movie.

What I did learn was that if I find a house on the side of a hill I only pay taxes for about 1/2 an acre instead of 100 acres, but I get a view that goes for about 10 miles!

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    abacomike said:

kyfdx said:

@tjc78 Interesting note: If you take a statin for cholesterol, you are supposed to avoid grapefruit juice. 😥

That looks great.

I avoid grapefruit juice because it tastes terrible.
    Red and pink grapefruit juice is sweet tasting. You should try it!😜🤪🤓
    Mike...over the years, I’ve tried grapefruits and grapefruit juice numerous times. Have yet to find any that were sweet...only bitter tasting. And, tried them while in the Southeastern States, including FL. I just quit trying to find sweet ones.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    jmonroe1 said:

kyfdx said:

@tjc78 Interesting note: If you take a statin for cholesterol, you are supposed to avoid grapefruit juice. 😥

That looks great.

Sounds like you ruined your bourbon with it once. :'(

jmonroe
    Bourbon.....over ice...no mixers. End of story!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

fintail said:

That house has peaks on top of peaks and peaks where you don't need peaks;

Why have peaks at all;

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    Why have peaks? Go to youtube and look up “snow roof collapse.”

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    qbrozen said:

Why have peaks? Go to youtube and look up “snow roof collapse.”

Frank Lloyd Wright evidently disagrees with you.. ^^^^^^^^

:D

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907

jmonroe1 said:

kyfdx said:

That looks great.

Sounds like you ruined your bourbon with it once. :'(

jmonroe
    Bourbon.....over ice...no mixers. End of story!
    Depends on my mood. I certainly enjoy that, but like to switch it up. Sometimes just making that bourbon into an Old Fashioned is all that it needed.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

="qbrozen"Why have peaks? Go to youtube and look up “snow roof collapse.”

@kyfdx Frank Lloyd Wright evidently disagrees with you.. ^^^^^^^^

:D
    ..........and the house with all the peaks is in the middle of a desert! ;)

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    driver100 said:

I... In the country we had a quarter mile gravel driveway...had to get plowed by our son...sometimes it took awhile to get done. Also people tend to drop off old tires or sofas by the side of the road.

Odd that people were dropping off tires and chesterfields. Did they think the folks there needed the car tires and the furniture?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

All this talk about various liquors is making me want to dig out my Makers Mark and add a little Coke.
    Power of suggestion?

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited February 2021
    Grille of the Year Awards ? According to Tom Voelk, in a piece for the NY Times, "Carmakers Put Their Biggest Faces Forward. They look as if they could strain spaghetti: Grilles are making a design statement."
    Don't quite understand why automakers think they are making a design statement but some of these grilles are garish and offensive while others have a manly masculine look to them, sort of like the charm of an SUV for urbanites pretending to be rugged outdoor types. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/07/business/new-cars-huge-grilles.html. Here are few samples:

All this talk about various liquors is making me want to dig out my Makers Mark and add a little Coke.
    Power of suggestion?

No arguments from me.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

abacomike said:

kyfdx said:

That looks great.

Red and pink grapefruit juice is sweet tasting. You should try it!😜🤪🤓
    Mike...over the years, I’ve tried grapefruits and grapefruit juice numerous times. Have yet to find any that were sweet...only bitter tasting. And, tried them while in the Southeastern States, including FL. I just quit trying to find sweet ones.

Coachella Valley grapefruits, yellow and pink (Palm Springs area of the low desert California), are as sweet as oranges or grapes, but you can’t get them anywhere outside of Southern California.

When I moved to Los Angeles from Palm Desert, I was able to buy them in the major grocery chain stores, but at a hefty price. I used to have a friend of mine who lived in Indian Wells, ship a carton of them to me every month from local fruit distributor where they are inspected to conform with the existing CA and FL laws and statutes governing fruit shipping interstate. I stopped because it got so expensive.

In the Coachella Valley, you can pick them right off the trees as you take a walk. Sweet as sugar!🤓😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Talking about frogs croaking, I am in the burbs of Chicago but my house is right on a retainage lake (Hey 20 steps out my back door and there is some decent fishing), some nights the frog croaking can get intense. We also get foxes, coyotes and other fun wildlife roaming through our back yard.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

I had assumed that it was the acidity of grapefruit that made it incompatible with some drugs.

But it's much different:
    "Many drugs are broken down (metabolized) with the help of a vital enzyme called CYP3A4 in the small intestine. Grapefruit juice can block the action of CYP3A4, so instead of being metabolized, more of the drug enters the blood and stays in the body longer. The result: too much drug in your body.

"The amount of the CYP3A4 enzyme in the intestine varies from person to person, says Huang. Some people have a lot of enzymes and others just a little. So grapefruit juice may affect people differently even when they take the same drug."

More to read at
    https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/grapefruit-juice-and-some-drugs-dont-mix#:~:text=Many drugs are broken down,much drug in your body.

driver100 said:

fintail said:

Why have peaks at all;

Roofs that are slanted allow heavy snow slide off and doesn't allow for pools of water to form on them. Flat roofs are far more likely to collapse with a lot of heavy snow fall or start leaking due to puddles forming on them.

Power of suggestion?

Make mine neat.

I had assumed that it was the acidity of grapefruit that made it incompatible with some drugs.

But it's much different:
    "Many drugs are broken down (metabolized) with the help of a vital enzyme called CYP3A4 in the small intestine. Grapefruit juice can block the action of CYP3A4, so instead of being metabolized, more of the drug enters the blood and stays in the body longer. The result: too much drug in your body.

"The amount of the CYP3A4 enzyme in the intestine varies from person to person, says Huang. Some people have a lot of enzymes and others just a little. So grapefruit juice may affect people differently even when they take the same drug."

More to read at
    https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/grapefruit-juice-and-some-drugs-dont-mix#:~:text=Many drugs are broken down,much drug in your body.

Thanks for the info Dr. Imid🤪😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

bwia said:

Grill of the Year Awards ? According to Tom Voelk, in a piece for the NY Times, "Carmakers Put Their Biggest Faces Forward. They look as if they could strain spaghetti: Grilles are making a design statement." They look as if they could strain spaghetti: Grilles are making a design statement".
    Don't quite understand why automakers think they are making a design statement but some of these grilles are garish and offensive while others have a manly masculine look to them, sort of like the charm of an SUV for urbanites pretending to be rugged outdoor types. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/07/business/new-cars-huge-grilles.html. Here are few samples:

If I ever ended up owning a Toyota or a Lexus the first thing I would to is make it better looking by cutting off an inch or two off the front end.

Power of suggestion?

Make mine neat.
    You don’t find that even just a splash of water or the chill brings out the flavors more?

fintail said:

They weren’t Revell kits; they were produced by Renwal.
    Darned if you ain’t right. Funny how the memory plays tricks. I had that model as a kid and couldn’t wait until it came out for real.

Maybe I should buy that tarted up Monte Carlo.

bwia said:

Grill of the Year Awards ? According to Tom Voelk, in a piece for the NY Times, "Carmakers Put Their Biggest Faces Forward. They look as if they could strain spaghetti: Grilles are making a design statement." They look as if they could strain spaghetti: Grilles are making a design statement".

If I ever ended up owning a Toyota or a Lexus the first thing I would to is make it better looking by cutting off an inch or two off the front end.
    I saw a 2010 ish LS460 the other day in beautiful shape. That’s a big sedan that just looked right to me. Once the corporate Lexus grill got grafted on it lost some of its charm to me.

driver100 said:

fintail said:

Why have peaks at all;

I’d rather have too many peaks than a Frank Loyd Wright house which while beautiful, tended to be engineering disasters. That house in your picture ‘Falling Water’ needed about $11 million in repairs to stop it falling into the creek.

bwia said:

Grille of the Year Awards ? According to Tom Voelk, in a piece for the NY Times, "Carmakers Put Their Biggest Faces Forward. They look as if they could strain spaghetti: Grilles are making a design statement."

Some of those are hideous but I like that Caddy grill at the end. That’s a concept car right?

abacomike said:

But it's much different:

More to read at

Thanks for the info Dr. Imid🤪😜🤓
    Sweeter grapefruit is hard to come by here. Some groups used to "import" fresh oranges and grapefruit from Florida via a wholesaler and sell them as fundraisers. Those were usually good. Better than usual.

I learned a lot about the interactions in this article I assumed the grapefruit blocked the action of the medication. Instead it speeded it up.

I need to take a look at why I occasionally get a dizzy reaction to my blood pressure med. Maybe it's something I'm drinking in the mornings. Like cranberry juice. Got some research to do.

driver100 said:

I... In the country we had a quarter mile gravel driveway...had to get plowed by our son...sometimes it took awhile to get done. Also people tend to drop off old tires or sofas by the side of the road.

Odd that people were dropping off tires and chesterfields. Did they think the folks there needed the car tires and the furniture?

They drop off tires because there is a charge of $4 for disposing of tires, and a charge at the dump for old furniture....goes by weight I think.
    There was a guy who would stop and park at the end of the drive and drink a carton of butter milk and throw it out his window when he was done.
    Nice quiet, back to nature country living...... :(

driver100 said:

fintail said:

Why have peaks at all;

Roofs that are slanted allow heavy snow slide off and doesn't allow for pools of water to form on them. Flat roofs are far more likely to collapse with a lot of heavy snow fall or start leaking due to puddles forming on them.
    Yeh but they can make flat roofs these days....they are on buildings. We are getting more and more Frank Lloyd Wright style houses here now too, and they have flat roofs.....the technology is there.

Frank Lloyd Wright houses are notorious for having leaking roofs and lots of other problems...he was a designer more than an engineer, and wouldn't listen to anyone else....he did it Frank's Way!

driver100 said:

fintail said:

Why have peaks at all;

I’d rather have too many peaks than a Frank Loyd Wright house which while beautiful, tended to be engineering disasters. That house in your picture ‘Falling Water’ needed about $11 million in repairs to stop it falling into the creek.
    The house could have been built better, but Frank wouldn't listen to the engineers. He was a stubborn nasty guy, but he sure knew how to design houses and buildings.

tjc78 said:

Power of suggestion?

Make mine neat.
    You don’t find that even just a splash of water or the chill brings out the flavors more?
    A chill actually numbs the taste buds so that won't bring out flavors. A small splash of water will open up the whisky and modify the flavors, for the good or bad is dependent on the preferences of the drinker. An experienced whisky drinker when trying a new whisky will always take it neat with water on the side to open it up later and compare it neat and opened.

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

Why have peaks at all;

The house could have been built better, but Frank wouldn't listen to the engineers. He was a stubborn nasty guy, but he sure knew how to design houses and buildings.
    I lived in Oak Park and River Forest Illinois back in 1968 through 1973. There are at least a dozen Frank Lloyd Wright designed houses in and around there within a square mile or so of each other. When we would take walks with the kids when they were very young, we easily picked out those houses designed by him - his signature architecture was so very identifiable.

Each of those houses are preserved by the cities and the county through various organizations and statutes. They are truly works of art.

2021 Genesis G90

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

Why have peaks at all;

With leaking roofs.

Nobody ever accused him of the adage of “form follows function ” for roof designs. If he was a car designer back in the ‘40s he’d have been ahead of his time and been the first to put a Lexus grill on an Oldsmobile.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Many of those (and other) revival styles around here, too, as this area boomed in the first half of the century. Maybe the difference is in aesthetics, the prewar era buildings tend to be maybe more balanced and not as ostentatious - still huge showy money pit houses, but they carry the weight well, so to speak. Today, trophy houses seem to usually be about quantity over quality, and are sometimes laughable in their details and materials. "Mcmansion Hell" is definitely snarky, but maybe some deserved snark given the state of the housing market and design in this culture.

ab348 said:

Back in the first half of the 20th century what I guess was called "Tudor Revival" home designs were quite common. We have some locally and I have seen images of old Hollywood star homes in Beverly Hills that were similar, so I would guess it is a style seen across North America. The one shown in Fin's link is particularly ham-handed in design but the originator of the linked page is being a bit too literal in saying the Tudors were never in N.A. so therefore there should be no such homes either.

What's the first one, a CCP-sponsored Bentayga copycar?

A proper grille :)

bwia said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

Why have peaks at all;

With leaking roofs.

Nobody ever accused him of the adage of “form follows function ” for roof designs. If he was a car designer back in the ‘40s he’d have been ahead of his time and been the first to put a Lexus grill on an Oldsmobile.

jmonroe
    He loved cars and lent them easily. One of his employees crashed his car so when they rebuilt it he added the fancy roof, a new interior, and special red paint.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    tjc78 said:

bwia said:

I saw a 2010 ish LS460 the other day in beautiful shape. That’s a big sedan that just looked right to me. Once the corporate Lexus grill got grafted on it lost some of its charm to me.
    made me think of this video I watched recently. Actually, other than some updated tech stuff, not really that much difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PewewY2pfI

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.