Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    Halfway to the cost of an i8 at that point, just saying!
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    edited February 2021
    qbrozen said:

breld said:

Here's the think folks...I've not seeking an improvement over the Supra. I'm just at a point where I'm starting to have that itch for something different. And it's not even change for the sake of change (as it often is)...I'm not all over the place, but rather focused on an M2 or M240i. Maybe a Miata as a long-shot, but I've gotten really used to the increased comfort and usability of the Supra.

The biggest challenge is whether I'm ready to move on from the Supra. I love the styling of it...and at the same time often yearn for something less conspicuous. Something that doesn't cause 20-something drivers in BRZ's to hang their head out the window and scream at me (I think in admiration)...often asking if I want to "pull." I'm near 50 years old and have no idea what they're asking. :o

The BMW would offer a very similar experience but in a more mature body. It's a more upright seating position that I do miss from the GTI. And while super sharp in my eyes, it sort of blends in.

The value of the Supra has been great - I paid $47,700 for it last June and trade offers are averaging around $45k. Man, if only all my transactions were like that. So, I can move on from it if I choose feeling great about what the cost was to own and drive it for going on a year (I'm rounding up a bit). But it's also compelling to hang on to it having purchased that kind of performance at that kind of value.

For the record, I'm not buying that M2 Comp I drove yesterday. I posted that right after the test drive and was on a high. I'd still like one, but not ready to up my budget for it (they offered it to me for my Supra plus $6,500...not bad actually). I am still considering the straight trade for the 2018 M2...I have it on hold with a refundable deposit so it's at least available to me to look at this week.

Having said all that (sorry for the long winded post)...I'll probably keep the Supra. If so, do I win anything? ;)

Was it really June?? I didn’t think it was anywhere near that long ago. Is $47k including all taxes and fees? Does your state give tax credit on trade-ins? If so, I’d say that’s not bad to take $2k hit in 8 mos. Just remember you are starting in more of a hole with used (difference between its trade value and retail). So swapping that one quick may be more expensive.
    It was $47.7k with all fees, but before taxes. I got some credit for my 228i trade, but obviously that was only about a quarter of it. So I would pay little to no taxes on a trade for an M2.

And yeah, I fully recognize every time I “start over” it’s another hole, which is why I generally bug you for pricing advice...to mitigate that trade vs retail as much as possible.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

tifighter said:

tifighter said:

breld said:

So to be clear, I’m 99.9% sure a Supra will be in our garage. I’m just questioning how much it’s worth to be more patient - and that probably means a used 2020. I’m not waiting just to go out and pay sticker or near-sticker for a 2021. The current deals on the remaining 2020’s have obviously piqued my interest (along with my wife practically pushing me out the door to go get it...man I love her). It’s certainly a great time to buy a new Supra compared to those who had to be first in line and paid above sticker - I just need to decide if the additional premium of buying now over waiting for the used market is worth having it the garage now (well...tomorrow). 😀

Anyway - I recognize all my chatter on the subject may get to an annoying state. Thanks all for the support and feedback.

Okay, I'll say this. I think that these may not be as good of a deal used as you might think for a few years. There has been a lot of hype around the Supra, as we all know. Some buyers won't consider a new one right now as they imagine they are really expensive, maybe have an ADM, etc. We know this doesn't match the reality on the market, and there are incentives now. This happens a lot with first year 'hot' cars, because the manufacturer over estimates the demand and guesses on a production quantity. Voila, too much stock. That won't happen for 2021, I promise you.

In a year, when a UCM gets one of these on the lot, they are going to think this was an ADM car, plus it's a 'Toyota' and will charge appropriately. Like the Civic Type-R, these will go from being nailed to the showroom floor thanks to a greedy sales manager, to a used car that a seller will be way too proud of. I think that if you can get a good deal now with incentives, you'll get to enjoy the car, and not get an unpleasant surprise later when dealers are listing used ones with 13K miles for $2K under MSRP. And maybe you could do even better on the trade value than you'd think in a year when you want to move on. Just my take.
    Yeah, here's that post from June. I think we got one right!
    You most certainly got that right - I remember appreciating that feedback last year...and am very pleased it came to be true!

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,561
    Hey, does anyone know why Kia went from GDI and 161hp in their 2.0L motor for 2019 to TPI and 147hp in 2020+?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

That's interesting... I guess it's cheaper to produce, and I suppose it further differentiates the 1.6 turbo as the premium engine.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I have a customer who recently traded in his Tacoma TRD Off Road (Double Cab/Short Bed) for a 2020 Tundra. He came to pick up a few things on Saturday. I had him park next to my truck to see the size difference. Pictures don’t lie (well, photoshopped pictures do...). It seems his Tundra (Crew Max/SB) is the exact same length as my Tacoma (Double Cab/Long Bed). The tundra seems to be a lot wider & definitely taller.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    that's my biggest problem with the full sized trucks. Not the length. It's the width, and the giant tall hoods. Who cares how long it stretches out behind you, as long as there is a camera to see backing up? Well, can be a bit of a hassle in a parking lot or garage I guess.

I would like another truck the size of my old 1991 Nissan. Extended cab with the side fold jump seats. Good sized bed, and about 196" long (actually about 6" shorter than our odyssey was.) Plus the cab was not too big, nice low hood, and great visibility. Pretty narrow too, and easy to maneuver (other than backing up of course). It helps that I really don't need something with real back seat passenger room).

or maybe one of these!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a29792006/hyundai-santa-cruz-confirmed-2021/

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited February 2021
    As someone who grew up driving compact and midsize cars, I like the width of full size SUVs and trucks, as it makes them feel roomier, but the Tahoe was perfect for me in terms of having a very roomy second row (when I needed it) and a generous enclosed cargo area, plus a shorter wheelbase to make it more maneuverable.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,761
    corvette said:

As someone who grew up driving compact and midsize cars, I like the width of full size SUVs and trucks, as it makes them feel roomier, but the Tahoe was perfect for me in terms of having a very roomy second row (when I needed it) and a generous enclosed cargo area, plus a shorter wheelbase to make it more maneuverable.

Yeah, the Tahoe is a really good package in terms of versatility. It does a lot of things well, as long as you don't mind zero connection to the road. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    stickguy said:

that's my biggest problem with the full sized trucks. Not the length. It's the width, and the giant tall hoods. Who cares how long it stretches out behind you, as long as there is a camera to see backing up? Well, can be a bit of a hassle in a parking lot or garage I guess.

I would like another truck the size of my old 1991 Nissan. Extended cab with the side fold jump seats. Good sized bed, and about 196" long (actually about 6" shorter than our odyssey was.) Plus the cab was not too big, nice low hood, and great visibility. Pretty narrow too, and easy to maneuver (other than backing up of course). It helps that I really don't need something with real back seat passenger room).

or maybe one of these!

Huh. I may have seen a test mule of one of these here in Fairbanks last week during a cold snap. It was heavily covered in camo, but it was definitely a midsize, four-door, short bed vehicle. Looked very "Ridgeline-ish" in it's profile, in terms of being a unibody rather than having a separated bed.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Michaell said:

For me, the Supra would be my first two seat sports car since my Datsun Roadster back in the late’70s. I’ve considered a two seat coupe several times but never pulled the trigger- M Coupe, Cayman, MR2, 370Z, etc. As I’ve said before, I’m not getting any younger.
    The M2 would be my first real M Car since my E24 M6. Probably the last BMW with the character and feel of the E46 and prior M3.
    I will say that if I would almost certainly try a Supra if I could get the same discount bread received.

The dealer where @breld got his has a couple of 3.0s on the lot; if the same SM or GM is there, no reason not to think a good deal can’t be had.

https://www.groovetoyota.com/searchnew.aspx?Type=N&Make=Toyota&Model=Supra
    I want one in either Nitro Yellow or Renaissance Red.
    I would also take an orange Supra like Han’s in Fast & Furious 9, but that’s not available. B)

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Michaell said:

For me, the Supra would be my first two seat sports car since my Datsun Roadster back in the late’70s. I’ve considered a two seat coupe several times but never pulled the trigger- M Coupe, Cayman, MR2, 370Z, etc. As I’ve said before, I’m not getting any younger.
    The M2 would be my first real M Car since my E24 M6. Probably the last BMW with the character and feel of the E46 and prior M3.
    I will say that if I would almost certainly try a Supra if I could get the same discount bread received.

The dealer where @breld got his has a couple of 3.0s on the lot; if the same SM or GM is there, no reason not to think a good deal can’t be had.

I would also take an orange Supra like Han’s in Fast & Furious 9, but that’s not available. B)
    Just need that incentive to come back...hopefully as it gets closer to 2022's coming out they will be more anxious to move existing inventory.

breld said:

Michaell said:

Just need that incentive to come back...hopefully as it gets closer to 2022's coming out they will be more anxious to move existing inventory.
    A Toyota salesman on one of the Supra forums mentioned that Toyota usually offers incentives on a quarterly basis so I’ll just have to wait and see.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited March 2021
    I'm gonna share my morning financial analysis of my M2 options - feel free to just keep scrolling; it won't hurt my feelings (and I won't know anyway) :) ...

Here's my approach when trading for a used car...take the difference between KBB trade value between my car and theirs, and add $3,000 for profit. If I get there for the difference paid then I feel pretty good. Sometimes it's lower and I feel really good, and sometimes I'm okay with it being higher if I really want the car, but I generally wouldn't do more than $5,000.

KBB may or may not be the best estimate of value, but unless it's really skewed on one car and not the other, it gives me a relative difference in values. And it's easy to look up so I don't have to bother @qbrozen with every car thought that I have. :)

So...using that approach with today's KBB values:
    • The deal on the 2018 M2 manual reflects a $7,100 profit :s . They've marked their car up around $5k, which kinda makes sense for what it is and that they just got it in, but it seems they're being a bit conservative on the trade as well.
    • The deal on the 2019 M2 Comp (DCT) reflects a profit of $4,732. It felt like a better deal, but it's nice to put numbers to it.
    Where does that leave me? Well, even if I just love the 2018 M2 when I look at it this week, I can't do that deal. On the off chance it sits for a few weeks and they reduce the price, or up the trade on my car, I'd consider it again.

The Comp is a bit tempting, and the wrestle there is DCT vs Manual. Plus, the 22k miles gives me a little pause...it's a bit over 2 years old, so it's actually lower than average miles, but considering the type of car it is, most others are sub-20k. That salesperson already checked in with me this morning and offered to throw in new tires (it has snow tires on it, albeit brand new ones). They know I'm looking at the 2018 this week and it'd be interesting to see how aggressive they could get.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    So @breld, what side of the garage is it going on?
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,538
    I have yet to drive my buddy's new Tundra but he thinks once I do I'll want that instead of another Tacoma.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    breld said:

I'm gonna share my morning financial analysis of my M2 options - feel free to just keep scrolling; it won't hurt my feelings (and I won't know anyway) :) ...

Here's my approach when trading for a used car...take the difference between KBB trade value between my car and theirs, and add $3,000 for profit. If I get there for the difference paid then I feel pretty good. Sometimes it's lower and I feel really good, and sometimes I'm okay with it being higher if I really want the car, but I generally wouldn't do more than $5,000.

KBB may or may not be the best estimate of value, but unless it's really skewed on one car and not the other, it gives me a relative difference in values. And it's easy to look up so I don't have to bother @qbrozen with every car thought that I have. :)

So...using that approach with today's KBB values:

• The deal on the 2018 M2 manual reflects a $7,100 profit :s . They've marked their car up around $5k, which kinda makes sense for what it is and that they just got it in, but it seems they're being a bit conservative on the trade as well.
    • The deal on the 2019 M2 Comp (DCT) reflects a profit of $4,732. It felt like a better deal, but it's nice to put numbers to it.
    Where does that leave me? Well, even if I just love the 2018 M2 when I look at it this week, I can't do that deal. On the off chance it sits for a few weeks and they reduce the price, or up the trade on my car, I'd consider it again.

The Comp is a bit tempting, and the wrestle there is DCT vs Manual. Plus, the 22k miles gives me a little pause...it's a bit over 2 years old, so it's actually lower than average miles, but considering the type of car it is, most others are sub-20k. That salesperson already checked in with me this morning and offered to throw in new tires (it has snow tires on it, albeit brand new ones). They know I'm looking at the 2018 this week and it'd be interesting to see how aggressive they could get.
    Can see the CPA coming out. But, good approach. I would bet that KBB (and likely any online guide) is going to be iffy on fringe cars like this. Especially with a manual. So I would do the same thing with a couple other sources (Edmunds and Carvana maybe), then possibly average the 3?

I also think that specialty performance cars like this are ultra sensitive to higher than normal miles. Which is especially important if you plan to actually drive it, and doubly so if not keeping it long!

It also sounds like you haven’t come to terms with the manual trans issue yet. I would first decide if that was a real desire, or just a handy justification to look! Plus you can always add something cheaper with a stick if you just want a little toy for a while. Flip the leaf for something!

edited March 2021
    pensfan83 said:

I have yet to drive my buddy's new Tundra but he thinks once I do I'll want that instead of another Tacoma.

There’s a new tundra in a family down the street from me. Some off road package trim. Not bad looking, but so bulky. This one IIRC has the short cab with clamshell doors. That helps the length, but not the girth.

Edit: I goofed. They have a Titan, not a Tundra. I don’t actually like the looks of the new Tundra.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    @nyccarguy,
    You won't like the mileage the Tundra gets(or doesn't get).
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    pensfan83 said:

I haven't spent much seat time in either, and none in a new-gen Tundra, but a primary difference for me was a far more comfortable seating position in the Tundra. The floor of the Tacoma feels too close to the bottom seat cushion to me - it feels more like a sedan seating position. The Tundra has a proper upright seating position like a truck/van/large SUV should.
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356

@nyccarguy,

No. Same engine I have in the Land Cruiser and it is pow er ful! But very thirsty. 401 ft. lbs of torque is addicting though.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

The six speed auto does it no favors in the MPG department, especially now that (I think) all competitors offer more than that.
    xwesx said:

pensfan83 said:

I haven't spent much seat time in either, and none in a new-gen Tundra, but a primary difference for me was a far more comfortable seating position in the Tundra. The floor of the Tacoma feels too close to the bottom seat cushion to me - it feels more like a sedan seating position. The Tundra has a proper upright seating position like a truck/van/large SUV should.
    You aren't the first person I've seen mention the low seating position. For 2020 TRD and up trims got a much needed power drivers seat so I suspect that may help resolve that issue.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    That 330ci on c&b sure got the money. I though it'd be a fun car for sub-$10k, but not $14k.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KVaLBN0Q/2004-bmw-330ci-coupe

Seems like ZHP money to me.
    pensfan83 said:

Seems like ZHP money to me.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Maybe. But seems super clean, known history ones are getting really hard to find. And they aren’t making new ones. So if you want one like this, and don’t want a restoration project, probably worth paying a bit more up front.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,199
    Not sure that is financial analysis, as much as financial rationalization.

But, I'm here for all of it. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

My last 2 V6's were rated at 460 and 470 ft/lbs of torque respectively.
    Now, I'm pretty much 4 bangers.
    edited March 2021
    My preferred engine configurations are I4, I6, and V8- all longitudinally mounted. My Mini is the only exception, but it’s my work beater.

stickguy said:

or maybe one of these!

Looks like a Subaru Brat or a Dodge Rampage.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

breld said:

That 330ci on c&b sure got the money. I though it'd be a fun car for sub-$10k, but not $14k.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KVaLBN0Q/2004-bmw-330ci-coupe

Somebody REALLY wanted that car. A 17 yo car with 93k miles?

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852

My last 2 V6's were rated at 460 and 470 ft/lbs of torque respectively.
    Now, I'm pretty much 4 bangers.

It’s funny how well the manufacturers are doing with turbos and superchargers. Ten years or so ago we wouldn’t have ever wanted a 3 row SUV with a 4 banger. Now they are common and plenty powerful enough. Our XC90 moves out quite well.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Speaking of auction cars, here's one that slipped past without me noticing

Some time ago, I noticed this car kind of hidden on a specialty classified site, asking price around 30K. Too much to blow on another toy, but I was smitten with it. Forgot about it, then went looking for it again, and I see it hit BaT and sold, at what I think was a more than reasonable price for a car of this substance. Well-bought, with only some slight cosmetic flaws. This color isn't my first choice, but it really works here. The grey market days must have been fun.
    kyfdx said:

Not sure that is financial analysis, as much as financial rationalization.

But, I'm here for all of it. ;)

This is true, and I'm pretty darn good at it!

Now, to be fair, that analysis got me OUT of the 2018 M2 I was close to buying this week.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

@nyccarguy,

That’s why I’m open to all makes and models of trucks. I will do a total lease cost and compare the different trucks and programs. I will take into consideration the fact that the Tundra has a 36 gallon gas tank and gets somewhere in the neighborhood of 14 - 15 mpg.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited March 2021
    nyccarguy said:

@nyccarguy,

That’s why I’m open to all makes and models of trucks. I will do a total lease cost and compare the different trucks and programs. I will take into consideration the fact that the Tundra has a 36 gallon gas tank and gets somewhere in the neighborhood of 14 - 15 mpg.
    That's highway numbers.... you'll be at 10 in local driving. :p
    I mike have a stroke if I had to fill that if the low fuel light was on!

stickguy said:

or maybe one of these!

Looks like a Subaru Brat or a Dodge Rampage.
    a modern Brat would be great for me. this is definitely a lot bigger than a rampage. that cab was just way too small.

My wife actually has to drive to a meeting so I filled the XC90 for her while I was out. 93 was $3.14. It certainly went up over the last few weeks.

• mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    tjc78,
    I agree the XC90 is amazing for 4 cylinder. For this engine to perform best need super unleaded fuel.
    mlevine said:

tjc78,
    I agree the XC90 is amazing for 4 cylinder. For this engine to perform best need super unleaded fuel.

Yes both my Volvo’s get 93. My wife put regular in the S60 early on and I swear I could tell a difference.

edited March 2021
    My Explorer has a 2.3 turbo 4 rated @300 hp/310 ft/lb torque on RUG.
    Plus 10 speed trans.
    blame the weather. Another side effect of of Texas not understanding the concept of cold.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    OF, still can't find out if we got any profit sharing this year. Some folks got like $800 last year but with the pandemic of 2020, doubt we'll see anything near there. Besides calling HR, how do I tell?

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

tjc78 said:

mlevine said:

tjc78,

Yes both my Volvo’s get 93. My wife put regular in the S60 early on and I swear I could tell a difference.
    I have used both and never noticed the difference in the RDX. Old or new one.

fintail said:

The grey market days must have been fun.

I'm sure I've told this story here before, but... Good friend of my dad's employer in the 1980s bought a grey market BMW. I can't recall whether it was an M5 or some sort of 7-series that wasn't sold here at the time. Anyway, employer and the friend take off for Florida in the grey market BMW. They made it to Atlanta and blew a head gasket. No warranty, of course, and the parts had to be ordered from Germany in the days before FCP Euro had a huge presence. I think it took months to get fixed.
    edited March 2021
    nyccarguy said:

@nyccarguy,

38 gallons and an 8-9 gallon reserve, despite what the manual says, so if you fill before it hits E, you'll never put in more than 30 gallons. My real world range before getting a warning is not much better than the Tahoe, which had a smaller tank, but also a smaller reserve.