Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    @graphicguy Several places give the vaccine to people who give a senior a drive for the vaccination. Nice work, getting your vaccine, the sooner the better.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

@jmonroe1 I have been trying to find out more information about inclination gauges. You would think JEEPs would have them as standard equipment.
    I am curious how much of an incline a Suburu could actually manage....could you keep testing yours and give us a report....what is the maximum amount you can do before it flips over?

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    driver100 said:

@jmonroe1 I have been trying to find out more information about inclination gauges. You would think JEEPs would have them as standard equipment.
    I am curious how much of an incline a Suburu could actually manage....could you keep testing yours and give us a report....what is the maximum amount you can do before it flips over?

Bah, nothing new under the sun... the Dodge Raider a.k.a. Mitsubishi Montero of the late '80s had such a gauge.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544
    driver100 said:

Mrs. j’s ‘18 Legacy Limited does not have that indicator but if it did and she knew I was testing it to see when it would flip...well, you know what I’d be doing. :'(

You should be talking to @venture since his Subie has that feature and besides I think he’d look good in traction. :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited March 2021
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Mrs. j’s ‘18 Legacy Limited does not have that indicator but if it did and she knew I was testing it to see when it would flip...well, you know what I’d be doing. :'(

You should be talking to @venture since his Subie has that feature and besides I think he’d look good in traction. :o

jmonroe
    Trust me. From what I saw on that hospital floor 18 years ago or so, nobody in traction setups looked happy. Even quite a few who looked like they had just had surgical fixes for casts to be put on damaged parts didn't look happy.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited March 2021
    Put For Sale sign on 08 Cobalt today. Still trying to learn what pricing I should ask. Needs someone with mechanic connections to be able to fix.

Already had someone express great interest in it for his son. Guy works in the tire store/repair shop where I went to have the leaking rim resealed. I was shocked, and tried to explain I'm still trying to decide what it's worth as I'm offering it.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907

Put For Sale sign on 08 Cobalt today. Still trying to learn what pricing I should ask. Needs someone with mechanic connections to be able to fix.

Already had someone express great interest in it for his son. Guy works in the tire store/repair shop where I went to have the leaking rim resealed. I was shocked, and tried to explain I'm still trying to decide what it's worth as I'm offering it.

Check in over at Real World Trade in values.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,142
    So did these:

(apparently this is a period Landcruiser part given to the Tercel)
    ab348 said:

Bah, nothing new under the sun... the Dodge Raider a.k.a. Mitsubishi Montero of the late '80s had such a gauge.

edited March 2021
    The right way to use one of those in the PNW is to leave it on year round because you "ski" (last time in 2015) or "hike" (on a paved trailhead with a food truck at the end), but want everyone to know you are a rough and tumble local outdoorsperson. Same applies to roof trays - although amazingly enough, the Crosstrek near me that had a big roof tray actually isn't wearing it anymore. Very popular on Toyota 4x4s, Subarus, CUV model Teslas, etc, especially with some stickers from microbreweries, something with "PNW" and a compass or map, etc. "Lifestyle accessories" I suppose a product planner would call it.

@tifighter,
    Not sure if you have seen any of this guy's videos. A lot of them are Tesla related.
    He is from Norway, but oriental and speaks English with some German thrown in on occasion.
    This one is about roof top cargo boxes. He is not as animated as usual, but a very interesting test.

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Thanks, interesting.....everything old is new again.
    How much of an angle can these cars go on?
    Those cars mentioned and fintails Toyota don't look like they are built for big mountainous rocky trails!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    fintail said:

The right way to use one of those in the PNW is to leave it on year round because you "ski" (last time in 2015) or "hike" (on a paved trailhead with a food truck at the end), but want everyone to know you are a rough and tumble local outdoorsperson. Same applies to roof trays - although amazingly enough, the Crosstrek near me that had a big roof tray actually isn't wearing it anymore. Very popular on Toyota 4x4s, Subarus, CUV model Teslas, etc, especially with some stickers from microbreweries, something with "PNW" and a compass or map, etc. "Lifestyle accessories" I suppose a product planner would call it.

@tifighter,
    Not sure if you have seen any of this guy's videos. A lot of them are Tesla related.
    He is from Norway, but oriental and speaks English with some German thrown in on occasion.
    This one is about roof top cargo boxes. He is not as animated as usual, but a very interesting test.

I have a Thule Rack that's got to be well over 15 years old. I 1st put it on my Prelude way back when. We put it on the Pilot when we go skiing. I take it off that night or the next day. I also have the BIG MOUTH bike rack for the roof which is also from when I transported bikes on the Prelude, but rarely use it. Same thing with the hitch mounted Bike Rack. I put it on the day or day before and remove it that night.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    edited March 2021
    driver100 said:

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Thanks, interesting.....everything old is new again.
    How much of an angle can these cars go on?
    Those cars mentioned and fintails Toyota don't look like they are built for big mountainous rocky trails!

Sort of like when my wife bought a new Focus with a 140-mph speedometer. Not sure if it was certified accurate like a CV P-71. But pretty sure that wouldn't matter.

Maybe the Subaru sinclimbmometer would be helpful with DIY oil changes. But maybe not so helpful with rock crawling. By the time you see the max limit appear on the gauge and mentally adjust for +/- calibration error you could be upside down at the bottom of a ravine by then. Does the GV80 have that feature?
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    carnaught said:

@driver100, especially would like these windows

I always thought those tall rearmost side windows should have a factory rod mounted inside near the roof to enable fitting a set of lace or floral curtains.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    My wife did some digging and obtained vaccination appointments for us this past Saturday. The follow up injection is four weeks later. She was happy, I was ambivalent. Fortunately it only took 25 minutes start to finish. I really didn’t care one way or the other, not because I distrust the vaccine, it’s just that it is no big deal for me.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

carnaught said:
    Especially the back side window! :p

Funny that I mock lifestyle accessories, as for the fintail I have a Thule rack from 1962 - the first gen model. I also have a pair of old wood skis, and it is now a period accessory thing I put on the car in the winter - but just for a vintage look, as I don't expect anyone to think I am actually using 60 year old skis or taking this car up on a snowy mountain:

Wagon has no gear accessories, plenty of room for my hockey stuff and anything else simply by folding one seat at most.

nyccarguy said:

I have a Thule Rack that's got to be well over 15 years old. I 1st put it on my Prelude way back when. We put it on the Pilot when we go skiing. I take it off that night or the next day. I also have the BIG MOUTH bike rack for the roof which is also from when I transported bikes on the Prelude, but rarely use it. Same thing with the hitch mounted Bike Rack. I put it on the day or day before and remove it that night.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    driver100 said:

91 degrees.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

fintail said:

Funny that I mock lifestyle accessories, as for the fintail I have a Thule rack from 1962 - the first gen model. I also have a pair of old wood skis, and it is now a period accessory thing I put on the car in the winter - but just for a vintage look, as I don't expect anyone to think I am actually using 60 year old skis or taking this car up on a snowy mountain:

Wagon has no gear accessories, plenty of room for my hockey stuff and anything else simply by folding one seat at most.

nyccarguy said:

Beautiful car and I love that shade of blue....is that the original color....and original paint?
    I like the way they had the matching wheel discs too.

stickguy said:

driver100 said:

91 degrees.
    So JMonroe should be able to get his to 90 degrees - right?

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    13 degrees felt like it was going to flip back on its roof. Thanks anyway.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604

@tifighter,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0P6i1YsgII

Yeah, Bjorn is well known in the EV world. I do like his videos. He is no BS, so if something gets his stamp of approval, it's generally good to go. He is also why I usually find myself saying sheeeeeee-----------aaaattttt around the house.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

fintail said:

What kind of wax do you use? That finish looks great. Even better than in the earlier pictures I recall.

I need some of that for the Cobalt to make it even more attractive than it is with its patina. B)

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Also looks like @fintail spends some time on those windows.
    stickguy said:

driver100 said:

91 degrees.
    So JMonroe should be able to get his to 90 degrees - right?

Thanks. Original color, the car had a little paintwork 50 years ago (one rear door has a couple signs of work), but it has aged well, if not with patina. Mind you, this is old single stage paint, so it doesn't have the clearcoat dazzle, but there's something satisfying about old mellow shine.

One could get color coded hubcaps in the USDM on W123, 240D anyway, through the 1983 model year I am pretty sure, then all had wheels.
    driver100 said:

Beautiful car and I love that shade of blue....is that the original color....and original paint?
    I like the way they had the matching wheel discs too.

The color/car always looks different depending on the angle and brightness of natural lighting. The blue can be a bright sky blue, then a muted medium blue.

I wax it yearly with the orbital polisher using Meguiars hybrid carnauba wax (I think) then every time I drive it I give it a quick 5 minute spray/wipe with Griots spray wax. These old pre-clearcoat finishes like a quick detail.

Detailing a car before sale is usually time or money well spent.

What kind of wax do you use? That finish looks great. Even better than in the earlier pictures I recall.

I need some of that for the Cobalt to make it even more attractive than it is with its patina. B)

I give the windows a quick spray/wipe virtually every time I drive the car. The car sleeps under a cover, but dust still gets in, and this is a somewhat dusty region.
    carnaught said:

Also looks like @fintail spends some time on those windows.

• mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    Michael
    Congratulations to you and your family.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935

But a sign on it for $2495. Tell him you’ll give it away for $2k since he is a pal. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    Congrats to Michaell! Nice to have some "life" news lately.
    Put my condo on the market on Friday. Now mulling 5 offers... Good to be a seller, of course the home we're likely building is nearly twice the sale price of my place.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Probably the best time in modern history to be a seller.

My grandma passed away in October, and my mom and uncle are still cleaning out her house. She wasn't much of a collector or hoarder, they are just maybe dragging their feet a little (I don't think they even have much sentimental attachment to the house). Last week my mom finally talked to a realtor, who predicted there would be enough offers to close a deal within 72 hours. Grandma would be happy, gotta love Seattle metro area real estate.

Put my condo on the market on Friday. Now mulling 5 offers... Good to be a seller, of course the home we're likely building is nearly twice the sale price of my place.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    Michaell said:

About as far from appliances as you can get. My son and his wife are expecting their first child in September!

And the circle of life continues...

Congratulations grandpa. :D

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

It’s everywhere. Houses are flying. Mine was gone in a weekend.

Saturday, it was quite nice in the GG ‘cul-de-sac.....sunny....60º-ish. As such, lots of neighbors (including me) cleaning out our yards and to get a bit of fresh air after what has been the craziest winter I’ve ever seen.

Started chatting with one of the neighbors, who knew I had been doing transports, but didn’t know I had a few set backs because of my eye surgeries. Long story short, she wanted to know what I’d charge to transport her 71 year old Father from her house (4 doors down from me) to his appointment to get a COVID shot. She and her husband work for P&G and have an all hands meeting that requires mandatory attendance (which is always ominous).

I told her I’d be happy to and would never think of charging for doing so. Appointment was at the Hospital 10 minutes from us this a.m.

Gentleman was a joy to spend some time with. He gave up driving because of his own sight issues and moved in with his Daughter (my neighbor) after his wife passed away 10 months ago). Smart, articulate, and witty. Plus, we had a lot to chat about regardling our shared ocular woes. Enjoyed our conversation and told him I’d love to spend more time chatting with him once the weather becomes more conducive to being outdoors.

Once we arrived at the medical facility, I expected he would go in and I’d wait outside given COVID restrictions. There was a separate entrance for those there for the vaccine, and as I pulled into the parking lot, I was given instructions where to park and the entrance to use. Expecting to wait, I asked how long it was taking for the vaccine to be administered.

Person at the entranced said for both of us, probably about 20-30 minutes including wait time required after getting the vaccine (15 minutes). I mentioned it would only be for one person as I don’t qualify yet.

I was informed that if I was providing a ride to someone who qualified for the vaccine, I could get it also if I wanted.

Well...sure thing. Pleasant surprise of the day....especially given all I’ve heard is it’s next to impossible to get the COVID vaccine in SW OH.

Easy-Peezy. Just got back. Arm is a little sore, but no worse from the wear. And, I made a new friend with my neighbor’s Father. We’re both scheduled to go back for the 2nd shot in a few weeks at the same time.

Goodness can be it’s own reward but a little extra helps.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited March 2021

What was wrong with it again? Also, what milage?

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    Offer 6 just rolled in.
    Bittersweet, my (now late) father would have so enjoyed this process.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

edited March 2021
    168000 mi (us).
    It needed a new caliper about 3 years back when I put new pads on.
    It's dragging not releasing right warped brake rotor but not so bad that I got around to replacing it.
    Somewhere brake system is slowly seeping brake fluid. Can't find anything.
    May be rear drum brake pistons. May be a line. May be master cylinder. May be front caliper seeping.

Front radio speaker does not work. So no turn signal clicks.

tjc78 said:

I'm annoyed that I am missing out. Of course, we would have to buy a replacement someplace, so would not work out great on that end possibly!

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544

168000 mi (us).
    It needed a new caliper about 3 years back when I put new pads on.
    It's dragging not releasing right warped brake rotor but not so bad that I got around to replacing it.
    Somewhere brake system is slowly seeping brake fluid. Can't find anything.
    May be rear drum brake. May be line. May be master cylinder. May be front caliper seeping.

Front radio speaker does not work. So no turn signal clicks.

May be you’re right to try dumping it. :D

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Apparently the 72 hours is even to allow for a bidding war - crazy market. decent area. It was recommended we/my mom provide a pre-inspection to grease the wheels, so to speak (but the house is pristine, original owner, etc, one walkthrough will probably sell it). I'm too far away to really hover over the process, but my sister is going to keep an eye on it, as my mom hasn't dealt with anything housing related in 30 years.

I'm thinking of driving over around the time it is listed, and take one last look - I am sure the next owners will gut the original finishes and everything that has been unchanged since more than a decade before I was born.

tjc78 said:

edited March 2021
    stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

I'm annoyed that I am missing out. Of course, we would have to buy a replacement someplace, so would not work out great on that end possibly!
    I feel like we got a stupid high price for our old house, a good interest rate and somehow paid less for the two year old home than the original owners did brand new. We really lucked out in the craziness.

fintail said:

Probably the best time in modern history to be a seller.

My grandma passed away in October, and my mom and uncle are still cleaning out her house. She wasn't much of a collector or hoarder, they are just maybe dragging their feet a little (I don't think they even have much sentimental attachment to the house). Last week my mom finally talked to a realtor, who predicted there would be enough offers to close a deal within 72 hours. Grandma would be happy, gotta love Seattle metro area real estate.

Never, ever, ever put a hoarder or overly sentimental person in charge of cleaning out a family house! My wife can barely get through a box of old papers here before giving up. She is going to have a nervous breakdown when forced to actually get rid of piles of old stuff (kids clothes, old trinket toys, school papers, you name it). We are trying to slowly work on the basement. Next shelf I plan to pull boxes off of is 4 decaying paper boxes (the ones that offices get copier paper in) that are full of her college notebooks and text books (college was a long time ago, and she never actually worked in that field). So, it is a slow go!

after my mother passed away, my father decided to move to a retirement community. They had that house before I was born, and had quite a bit collected, and added more from my grandmas house years earlier. So a lot to go through, and not something an 85 YO guy was doing on his own. So it mostly fell to me and my sister to get it done (and I lived 2 hours away, and she lived 5).

would have been slow, until he listed it without telling us, and had a feeding frenzy of offers, including a full price cash, no contingencies (and the place would have had some "issues" with an inspection). Which he took, starting the clock on about a 6 week closing (something short like that). Needless to say, I spent a lot of time there, and we got brutal about pitching stuff without looking back. We referred to it as packing in the "red box" (the 5 or so dumpsters we filled were red!) But at least, when you have to and are willing to, you can empty out a house pretty darned quick! sold some, pitched some, donated some.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    I was thinking about buying a vacation home or helping out one of my kids guy a condo, but it doesn't make much sense right now, value wise.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    fintail said:

Apparently the 72 hours is even to allow for a bidding war - crazy market. decent area. It was recommended we/my mom provide a pre-inspection to grease the wheels, so to speak (but the house is pristine, original owner, etc, one walkthrough will probably sell it). I'm too far away to really hover over the process, but my sister is going to keep an eye on it, as my mom hasn't dealt with anything housing related in 30 years.

I'm thinking of driving over around the time it is listed, and take one last look - I am sure the next owners will gut the original finishes and everything that has been unchanged since more than a decade before I was born.

tjc78 said:

Take a lot of pictures and share. I appreciate past styles and well kept.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Our old house was full of baby stuff, remnants of my Grandfather's house and my Mom’s house. Full basement and attic.

When we first started purging, it went slow. Then we kicked into high gear and tossed a ton. The trash pickers had a field day.

Nearly new car seats, dishes, furniture... anything we thought had value we sat outside the dumpster.

Once we moved in, we condensed and purged again. Our basement storage room isn’t fully loaded up even with 4 built Christmas trees. If I didn’t have a stack of empty audio equipment boxes it would be even more open. The two attics are off limits!

tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

I feel like we got a stupid high price for our old house, a good interest rate and somehow paid less for the two year old home than the original owners did brand new. We really lucked out in the craziness.
    yeah, you did seem to hit the jackpot. Sometimes the stars just align! I really can't complain about missing out, because we aren't positive about where to go and what type of place to get. though if we we forced to move out, and pick someplace on the spot, we would be moving up just north of Old Farmer. I could find someplace quick up there if I had to. Probably one of the fairly common new neighborhoods in the area.

tjc78 said:

Our old house was full of baby stuff, remnants of my Grandfather's house and my Mom’s house. Full basement and attic.

When we first started purging, it went slow. Then we kicked into high gear and tossed a ton. The trash pickers had a field day.

Nearly new car seats, dishes, furniture... anything we thought had value we sat outside the dumpster.

Once we moved in, we condensed and purged again. Our basement storage room isn’t fully loaded up even with 4 built Christmas trees. If I didn’t have a stack of empty audio equipment boxes it would be even more open. The two attics are off limits!

empty boxes take up a rediculous amount of space. One thing we did a week ago (our daughter did it with my wife, that won't lead to a divorce) was sort out the huge number of empty boxes downstairs. A bunch got recycled, the rest they cut the tape and flat packed. All fit neatly in one intact box. That project alone freed up a ton of floor space to work with.

I was reading comments on an article about house prices locally last week and learned something I didn't know. Apparently in the hot market we have right now, agents encourage sellers to list a price maybe $50K lower than what they think it will sell for. The goal is to get a lot of offers quickly in order to start a bidding war that can sometimes go on for weeks, and with the craziness that then happens, get the sellers even more than they dared dream for their property.

We have a lot 120 ft X 130 ft near downtown going for $1!
    The lot is suitable for a ten story condo building, and 2 floors of underground parking.
    They feel that by offering it for $1, they will reach a higher level...if they put a price on it they might sell for too little.
    They expect it will sell for $4 million.
    They feel they are protected because they can refuse offers if they aren't high enough.
    Some realtors like this method, some are against it.