Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,251
    edited March 2021
    I have a feeling this house has been put on the market with the low listing price in order to generate competing bids.
    https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2-Mountain-Spring-Rd_Farmington_CT_06032_M35313-18493
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    I'm lucky in that - grandma didn't have a hoard, mom was a hobbyist antique dealer for years, so most real collectibles were given to her ages ago - it's mostly just a house with normal stuff now. Some family members have claimed some furniture, an assortment of mementos will be kept, but the rest is being donated, not even bothering with having a sale.

Now my mom's house could be called a hoard - my friends always commented they felt like it being in an antique shop when they visited, and she won't part with anything, but maybe that will change. She'll be house shopping in a bit (small outlying town, still with price inflation but not as competitive), to get something new or renovated as kind of her "last house". We're trying to get her to have a moving sale, but there's resistance.
    stickguy said:

Never, ever, ever put a hoarder or overly sentimental person in charge of cleaning out a family house! My wife can barely get through a box of old papers here before giving up. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time there, and we got brutal about pitching stuff without looking back. We referred to it as packing in the "red box" (the 5 or so dumpsters we filled were red!) But at least, when you have to and are willing to, you can empty out a house pretty darned quick! sold some, pitched some, donated some.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    I meant more that people who can't let go of anything are bad choices to get rid of everything!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited March 2021

I have a feeling this house has been put on the market with the low listing price in order to generate competing bids.
    https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2-Mountain-Spring-Rd_Farmington_CT_06032_M35313-18493

must be the market. I have a friend in W. hartford. Cute little town, but I didn't get the impression that the surrounding areas were super expensive. And looks like that place has been listed for 5 years, starting at $750,000 and gradually being decreased.

plus, I am guessing a lot of people don't want to deal with having a pre-revolution era house.

edited March 2021
    I like that too, I will get pics or glean them from the listing. The house isn't 100% time capsule - a few appliances have been replaced, along with the flooring in the kitchen and one bathroom. But it has original hardwoods throughout, all windows and doors are original, original counters and cabinets, original trim, most bathroom fixtures, etc. They bought a Coldspot fridge for the garage in 1965, and it is still there running as smooth as silk. They don't make em like they used to.

And that underpricing scheme happens in Seattle too. Last summer, a recently married relatively young friend was excited about a local listing he thought he could afford (both parental units helping, of course). He showed the listing to me, I laughed and said it was a ruse to bring a bidding war. It sold for around 100K over list.

sda said:

Take a lot of pictures and share. I appreciate past styles and well kept.

I'd be happy with just the garage - 3 car garage and space below, reasonably sized living area above, easy living!

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    stickguy said:

Never, ever, ever put a hoarder or overly sentimental person in charge of cleaning out a family house!

I think I've mentioned this before, but your wife and mine must have been separated at birth.

We should have gotten rid of our 2900 sf house years ago and downsized, but I doubt it'll be done in my lifetime. I'm getting rid of a fair amount of stuff, but it's a drop in the bucket.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    @stickguy,
    You got the wrong impression of the surrounding towns depending which way you are facing.
    Taking a closer look, there is some weird stuff about the that property, everything is listed as being built in 1686.
    Maybe once it sells, some sweetheart arrangement is going to end.
    oh yeah, I know that feeling. The funniest (saddest?) part of the whole thing is, much of it is justified about "saving it for the kids". But both have flat out said they don't want anything there, and if they inherit the house, it is all going in a dumpster or donation bin!

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

168000 mi (us).
    It needed a new caliper about 3 years back when I put new pads on.
    It's dragging not releasing right warped brake rotor but not so bad that I got around to replacing it.
    Somewhere brake system is slowly seeping brake fluid. Can't find anything.
    May be rear drum brake pistons. May be a line. May be master cylinder. May be front caliper seeping.

Front radio speaker does not work. So no turn signal clicks.

Perfect $2k hooptie. Low priced cars are in incredible demand. They can mean the difference between someone becoming self supporting or having to rely on the government.

I sold my 2009 PT Cruiser in about 20 minutes for $2500. I bet you could sell it fast too. Throw it up on Craigslist for $3000 and see what happens.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    stickguy said:

must be the market. I have a friend in W. hartford. Cute little town, but I didn't get the impression that the surrounding areas were super expensive. And looks like that place has been listed for 5 years, starting at $750,000 and gradually being decreased.

plus, I am guessing a lot of people don't want to deal with having a pre-revolution era house.
    Our small state is weird like that. There are some areas that are absolute war zones and quite a few areas that are quite well to do, picturesq New England towns. Farmington is gorgeous. There are some very elite prep & boarding schools which I've had the opportunity to see while on my way to travel hockey games. A neighboring town to Farmington, Avon has a Country Club, Polo Club, Swim Club, Tennis Club, & Equestrian Riding Center that surround the gorgeous campus of Avon Old Farms school. Another school in Simsbury has this incredible all wood building that houses the hockey rink on the campus.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,850
    stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

It’s everywhere. Houses are flying. Mine was gone in a weekend.

I'm annoyed that I am missing out. Of course, we would have to buy a replacement someplace, so would not work out great on that end possibly!
    I feel like we got a stupid high price for our old house, a good interest rate and somehow paid less for the two year old home than the original owners did brand new. We really lucked out in the craziness.
    yeah, you did seem to hit the jackpot. Sometimes the stars just align! I really can't complain about missing out, because we aren't positive about where to go and what type of place to get. though if we we forced to move out, and pick someplace on the spot, we would be moving up just north of Old Farmer. I could find someplace quick up there if I had to. Probably one of the fairly common new neighborhoods in the area.
    What really happened in our case was the PO added tons of upgrades that in the short time they owned it did not add value at time of sale.

Fancy railings, extra LED lighting everywhere, ceiling fans every room, basement under the morning room, fireplace, whole house networking/audio and who knows what else they paid for. These are the things that I believe they lost their money on.

Whoever sold this place must have gotten a nice bonus.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    edited March 2021
    @nyccarguy" A neighboring town to Farmington, Avon has a Country Club, Polo Club, Swim Club, Tennis Club, & Equestrian Riding Center that surround the gorgeous campus of Avon Old Farms school. Another school in Simsbury has this incredible all wood building that houses the hockey rink on the campus.

All very nice but I have never had the desire to join a country club. I play tennis but those are minimal facilities, you go and play, go for a coffee with the guys and go home. I can't imagine lying around by the pool all day comparing Rolex watches and talking about what kind of car you are planning on buying for hours at a time.

Like I told my friends though, if I win the $20 million lottery it has been nice knowing them, I'll have to buy a yacht, get a Rolex, get a Maserati, maybe a Lear Jet, a few new homes in different countries, and a whole new set of friends :s

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,063
    driver100 said:

nyccarguy said:

stickguy said:

A neighboring town to Farmington, Avon has a Country Club, Polo Club, Swim Club, Tennis Club, & Equestrian Riding Center that surround the gorgeous campus of Avon Old Farms school. Another school in Simsbury has this incredible all wood building that houses the hockey rink on the campus.
    All very nice but I have never had the desire to join a country club. I play tennis but those are minimal facilities, you go and play, go for a coffee with the guys and go home. I can't imagine lying around by the pool all day comparing Rolex watches and talking about what kind of car you are planning on buying for hours at a time.

Like I told my friends though, if I win the $20 million lottery it has been nice knowing them, I'll have to buy a yacht, get a Rolex, get a Maserati, maybe a Lear Jet, a few new homes in different countries, and a whole new set of friends :s

$20 million may get you the jet or the yacht, but probably not both.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

@Michaell

That's how much I know about these things :(

edited March 2021
    driver100 said:

@Michaell

That's how much I know about these things :(

Actually, I have been perusing used LearJet listings ... you can get a nice used one for as little as $500K. Most of the ones that have prices attached to them are between $1.5-3M.

The operating costs will kill you, I should think.

New ones seem to fall into the category of "if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it".

Better to get a membership into a fractional ownership - still a few hundred thousand a year, but none of the overhead costs and hassles.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:
    This was interesting;
    ASK $450,000.00 w/o paint or $550,000.00 w/ paint
    $100000 to paint it....can't take it to Maaco?
    Buying a hooptie car is one thing....at least if something goes wrong you are on the ground and have a chance, but a hooptie Lear Jet........not much chance of surviving a malfunction there.

Same with a yacht, the cost of upkeep must be tremendous. One guy who plays tennis with us in Florida was telling us how he goes out in his yacht. I asked where he goes on his yacht....to me water is kind of like the same wherever you go.

He says he sails to a dock and he and his wife might have some wine and nice cheese.
    One of the other guys said don't you have cheese at home?
    That kind of says it all.

How come you are looking at Lears Michaell?

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I have a colleague/friend who owns a prop plane (Cessna something). He says it’s like a boat. If you’re going to own one, better be ready to keep a high 5 figure maintenance bank account liquid, because you’ll spend it to keep it in good operation.

A plane isn’t something you want to skimp on when it comes to operation and maintenance.

While I quit traveling for over a year now, I had a really good source for air travel when it wan’t cross country.

https://ultimateairshuttle.com/airports/lunken-airport-luk/

They’ve suspended operations because of COVID, but they were almost like having a private jet when I needed to go to their destinations at a moment’s notice. Plus, I could walk from my car to the tarmac onto the plane in 10 minutes....be wheels up in 20 minutes from my arrival.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    edited March 2021
    If you have enough dough, just build your own facilities, then you don't have to deal with the cooties of other members - just invite your friends if you so please. I could have 10 figures in the bank and wouldn't be tempted to join a club, if I did I'd end up being like Al Czervik anyway. I've never embraced the idea - for a supposedly egalitarian society, there's a hilarious amount of elitism (maybe also shown in the hockey facilities mentioned above - a game that was once very working class has now been taken over in many areas by those who can pay - and I will argue the game is not better for it).

I think those jets are something to rent rather than buy. Like the two happiest days in a boat owner's life - the day you buy it and the day you sell it.
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Your comment about plane and boat ownership got me curious.

If I ever won the lottery, I could see doing some sort of rental program - NetJets allows you to buy as few as 25 hours of time on their jets, to be used over a 24 month period. The FOB terminal at the airport they use is just 10-15 minutes from our house.

Their smallest plane has a 4 hour range, which would allow us to travel anywhere in the lower 48 (and a decent amount of Canada or Mexico). No security lines, white glove service - what's not to like?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

“ I can't imagine lying around by the pool all day comparing Rolex watches and talking about what kind of car you are planning on buying for hours at a time.”

But laying around the computer all day comparing washing machines and talking about what car you are planning on buying for hours is different? :D

lol....washing machines, dishwashers, microwaves, regular cars, pizza, bourbon, those are all necessities....talking about Rolex's and new Bentleys and fancy jewelry you are buying are superfluous things.

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

If I ever won the lottery, I could see doing some sort of rental program - NetJets allows you to buy as few as 25 hours of time on their jets, to be used over a 24 month period. The FOB terminal at the airport they use is just 10-15 minutes from our house.

Their smallest plane has a 4 hour range, which would allow us to travel anywhere in the lower 48 (and a decent amount of Canada or Mexico). No security lines, white glove service - what's not to like?
    Roughly, The most economical private jets - Turboprops, Very Light Jets or Executive Light Jets - cost around $2,000 to $2,800 per flight hour. Midsize or Super Midsize Jets cost between $2,900 and $5,800 per hour. Large and Ultra Long Range Jets cost between $6,000 and $10,000 per hour within the US, and possibly higher internationally.

It gets up there in price.......and don't forget to tip the pilot.

One guy I know of booked a private jet from Toronto to Florida, about 2 1/2 hour flight, cost $24000 and he could take 6. This guy can well afford it. He would take 2 other couples and split the cost....or not.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    driver100 said:

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

Roughly, The most economical private jets - Turboprops, Very Light Jets or Executive Light Jets - cost around $2,000 to $2,800 per flight hour. Midsize or Super Midsize Jets cost between $2,900 and $5,800 per hour. Large and Ultra Long Range Jets cost between $6,000 and $10,000 per hour within the US, and possibly higher internationally.

One guy I know of booked a private jet from Toronto to Florida, about 2 1/2 hour flight, cost $24000 and he could take 6. This guy can well afford it. He would take 2 other couples and split the cost....or not.
    This is your friend with the Maserati?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    driver100 said:

Back in 1982 I went to Florida with one of my brothers, his wife and their 3 kids. They stayed 2 weeks but I was only good for the first week. My flight back from Tampa to Halifax was on an Air Canada DC-8, my first and last time on that aircraft type. I remember there were a total of 12 passengers aboard. It was like having your own private jet. The flight attendants would sit down across the aisle and chat at length to pass the time.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I've flown jumpseat in the cockpit of a 727, on various occasions. Just me, the two pilots and the flight engineer.

It's not exactly a luxury experience, but the view is fantastic!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

nyccarguy said:

driver100 said:

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

No a friend of his. This guy has a Tesla and has a $ million home in Naples. He has more money than he could ever spend. When he goes to Florida he has the Tesla brought down on a carrier truck.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132

“ I can't imagine lying around by the pool all day comparing Rolex watches and talking about what kind of car you are planning on buying for hours at a time.”

But laying around the computer all day comparing washing machines and talking about what car you are planning on buying for hours is different? :D

And our hoopties... LOL

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Back in 1982 I went to Florida with one of my brothers, his wife and their 3 kids. They stayed 2 weeks but I was only good for the first week. My flight back from Tampa to Halifax was on an Air Canada DC-8, my first and last time on that aircraft type. I remember there were a total of 12 passengers aboard. It was like having your own private jet. The flight attendants would sit down across the aisle and chat at length to pass the time.
    I flew home from Charleston to Atlanta in a Super DC8. I suspect there had been a large number of military related people going to Charleston but then there were fewer than 12 flying back. We got a thrill when the pilot announces we were going to do a fast approach to ATL to be ahead of another plane for landing and he would be reversion the thrusters on 2 of the engines to control our descent (fall rate). It was a rough experience when the thrusters reversed in flight rather than after being on the ground while landing.

I recall the others on the flight were military and were drinking up a storm in the rear with the stewardesses. Power to them.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

nyccarguy said:

driver100 said:

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

btw, the friend that had the Maserati has had his Audi RS 8 for about 3 or 4 years now....says he is satisfied with it and no great need to change, though I know he has been looking into the new Audi electric car, which seems pretty nice but looks a little low for my liking.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460
    fintail said:

If you have enough dough, just build your own facilities, then you don't have to deal with the cooties of other members - just invite your friends if you so please. I could have 10 figures in the bank and wouldn't be tempted to join a club, if I did I'd end up being like Al Czervik anyway. I've never embraced the idea - for a supposedly egalitarian society, there's a hilarious amount of elitism (maybe also shown in the hockey facilities mentioned above - a game that was once very working class has now been taken over in many areas by those who can pay - and I will argue the game is not better for it).

I think those jets are something to rent rather than buy. Like the two happiest days in a boat owner's life - the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

driver100 said:

You’re right, those cooties can kill you. This COVID thing has taught all of us about that. So I want to hit a lottery that is large enough so that I can have a new island built to my specifications. I think that’s the only true way to survive and enjoy my winnings. Might even have to supplement my winnings with a go fund me thingie too. It doesn’t go as far as it used to. :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Back when I was a working stiff I flew to LA many, many times. Almost always on US Air. One time on the way home aboard a 727 stretch the plane was unusually empty so US Air took it upon themselves to leave the middle seat on both sides of the plane empty. Sure was nice of them. Out of all the times I went there it only happened once but that was enough to spoil me for life.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    jmonroe1 said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

You’re right, those cooties can kill you. This COVID thing has taught all of us about that. So I want to hit a lottery that is large enough so that I can have a new island built to my specifications. I think that’s the only true way to survive and enjoy my winnings. Might even have to supplement my winnings with a go fund me thingie too. It doesn’t go as far as it used to. :o

jmonroe
    Don’t want no Cooties on me!

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

jmonroe1 said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    I think we could get a Go Fund Me thing going for you if you find an island that has no wi-fi capability :p

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,537
    PA eased restrictions on indoor/outdoor gatherings so we decided to attend the Penguin game on Saturday against the Flyers. The usual mask and social distance requirements are in place and fans will be in pods of 2 or 4 people spaced out through the arena, 2800 in total in an arena that holds over 18K. Mobile ticketing, mobile food ordering, and several hundred hand sanitizer stations according to the team. It will mark almost a year since we've been to a game and will probably be the only one we'll get to.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    I think we could get a Go Fund Me thing going for you if you find an island that has no wi-fi capability :p
    You weren’t listening. I didn’t say I wanted to find a cootie infested island...I wanted one built to my specifications. Therefore, it would have wi-fi. So you can’t get rid of me that way. :@

jmonroe
    So much for that idea then :'(

pensfan83 said:

PA eased restrictions on indoor/outdoor gatherings so we decided to attend the Penguin game on Saturday against the Flyers. The usual mask and social distance requirements are in place and fans will be in pods of 2 or 4 people spaced out through the arena, 2800 in total in an arena that holds over 18K. Mobile ticketing, mobile food ordering, and several hundred hand sanitizer stations according to the team. It will mark almost a year since we've been to a game and will probably be the only one we'll get to.

One game and you call yourself a “fan” ? :o

jmonroe
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    Looks like the condo is sold; all cash buyer, no contingencies. 103.5% of asking price. I'm lucky, I did well on both the buy and sell. (in fact, I believe I paid the lowest price for a 2/2 in the complex, and my sales price may be the highest. At least to this date!).
    Off to sign the P & S on the 401k emptying Plymouth condo on Saturday.

And, car-related, I need state inspection sticker. Hopefully it will pass even with the false trunk/hood open warnings. I'm gonna take it to my Jag dealer, I think they'll work with me to get it passed. And, maybe check out the '21 XF while I'm there.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

@laurasdada,
    I'm sure the provenance of you owning the condo helped to sell it. :p
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    @laurasdada, congrats - nicely done.
    carnaught said:

@laurasdada, congrats - nicely done.

+1 and good luck on the inspection sticker.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    Thanks, all. I was told my place would sell quickly, with multiple offers. But, I wasn't sure I believed it. Listed on Friday, agreement on Tuesday. I feel a bit bad for not selling it to the young couple who included a nice letter with their offer. And, theirs was the highest bid (beaten by the cash buyer upon request for best and final offers from all 6 bidders) but they were financing 95%, with the usual contingencies.
    Glad I'm not a buyer, although I'm not sure we're getting the sale of the century on the place we're building. Time will tell. I've been lucky now three times buying and selling my homes. Maybe I should be a flipper?!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

one good thing about buying into a 55+ when you are just a little over the age limit. It should mean that you have a nice long run there ahead of you. At least assuming you want to actually stay in the area when you retire in a few years. And once you are expecting to be somewhere for say 20 years, there really shouldn't be much worry about paying a little extra on the front end. Different story if you are planning to dump the place in 3 years and move to Fla!

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255

I have a colleague/friend who owns a prop plane (Cessna something). He says it’s like a boat. If you’re going to own one, better be ready to keep a high 5 figure maintenance bank account liquid, because you’ll spend it to keep it in good operation.

A plane isn’t something you want to skimp on when it comes to operation and maintenance.

While I quit traveling for over a year now, I had a really good source for air travel when it wan’t cross country.

They’ve suspended operations because of COVID, but they were almost like having a private jet when I needed to go to their destinations at a moment’s notice. Plus, I could walk from my car to the tarmac onto the plane in 10 minutes....be wheels up in 20 minutes from my arrival.

When I was living in Palm Desert, I was a part owner of a Beechcraft King Air 350 twin turbo prop aircraft. We had it at PSP (Palm Springs). We had 10 investor/owners for the aircraft and it cost me $1000 a month just for maintenance, hangar and fuel. My investment was $100,000 when we purchased it new.

When I moved to Los Angeles, I sold my share to the other 9 owners. I had use of the King Air 3-4 days a month and truly enjoyed the plane. Great range, tremendous power and excellent cruising speed. Quite frankly, I truly miss flying - but not the costs involved.

2021 Genesis G90

stickguy said:

one good thing about buying into a 55+ when you are just a little over the age limit. It should mean that you have a nice long run there ahead of you. At least assuming you want to actually stay in the area when you retire in a few years. And once you are expecting to be somewhere for say 20 years, there really shouldn't be much worry about paying a little extra on the front end. Different story if you are planning to dump the place in 3 years and move to Fla!

Many 55+ places have age restrictions on who can visit without a 55+ principle being in attendance. My BIL has a second place in Florida and his kids couldn’t visit on their own. Only if one of the parents went too. It became inconvenient.

stickguy said:

Many 55+ places have age restrictions on who can visit without a 55+ principle being in attendance. My BIL has a second place in Florida and his kids couldn’t visit on their own. Only if one of the parents went too. It became inconvenient.
    How would they know? Would someone report them? HOAs are powerless.... you think they would take them to court or fine them and attempt to collect.

I would 100% not abide by that rule.

abacomike said:

When I was living in Palm Desert, I was a part owner of a Beechcraft King Air 350 twin turbo prop aircraft. We had it at PSP (Palm Springs). We had 10 investor/owners for the aircraft and it cost me $1000 a month just for maintenance, hangar and fuel. My investment was $100,000 when we purchased it new.

When I moved to Los Angeles, I sold my share to the other 9 owners. I had use of the King Air 3-4 days a month and truly enjoyed the plane. Great range, tremendous power and excellent cruising speed. Quite frankly, I truly miss flying - but not the costs involved.
    That’s awesome Mike! My cousin flew small planes as a hobby. I always wanted to go up with him. When he retired and sold his business he couldn’t justify the expense any longer.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

How would they know? Would someone report them? HOAs are powerless.... you think they would take them to court or fine them and attempt to collect.

I would 100% not abide by that rule.
    The last place my dad owned in Florida before he passed away was one of those 55+ setups. We could only go there if he was in residence. As for how the overseers would know, it wasn't hard. All of the neighbors were willing to rat you out if you transgressed.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6